TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robb Elementary School houses almost 600 students -- limited to grades 2, 3, and 4 or ages 7-10. Survivors have given accounts of how they've practiced "lock-down" since Pre-K, and have long understood where during a real emergency, their parents would be waiting for them at a safe location-- in this case, the Civic Center.

The beauty of this age is that their minds allow them to individually and collectively go into "drill mode" and respond to their rescue as practiced. They knew to be quiet and keep down. We learned during today's presser that when one 4th grade student (target room) called 911, a classmate asked her to hang up -- most likely recalling their drill instruction to stay quiet.

Whether it be Columbine or Uvalde, there will never be a shortage of blame but for at least one moment, these children and their teachers and parents and also rescuers need to be commended. MOO

1653684123948.png

Adam 8, told The Times that he was in the principal’s office shortly before the shooting and heard the principal answer a phone call from someone who had seen the gunman approaching.

“Somebody jumped the fence just now holding a gun,” Adam said he heard the caller say.

He and others hid under a table before fleeing to other rooms, including behind the curtains of the auditorium, and eventually evacuating to the civic center, where he was reunited with his mother…

Ya know - I have prayed for this woman ever since LE confirmed he entered through an unlocked door. I thought on this and realized that it could have been the principal - it was an awards ceremony day and those are hectic and chaotic anyway. That door being on a parking lot could have been left open to let parents in and out. But now finding out a teacher propped it open...........that poor poor woman.......

I will continue to pray for her and hope she gets the help she is so desperately going to need.

Having a classroom for many many years and being responsible for 15-25 young lives, I have grappled with this. Every time I got a new classroom, I would take a break from the decorating to sit in my chair, at my desk and say to myself - "how am I going to get them out?"

In my school the doors were all locked from the outside, except for the two entrances, at which security agents were posted. Then all that was required to enter was a valid I.D. and a sign-in.

If a teacher at Uvalve propped open a door for whatever reason, and that became the ingress for the killer, my heart breaks for her (or him). If I were that teacher I would have trouble living with myself, even if I'd propped it open prior to the attack and couldn't reach it once the shooting began.

I worry for this teacher as well. None of us want this tragedy to extend any further.

I presume you taught elementary school, since you had 15-25 students. I taught 8th grade, NYC, so I had about 150 students a day, for 25 years. Hallway passing between periods was always mobbed, and I recall thinking that if God forbid an intruder got in, there would be no way to protect the kids during passing.

Another very dangerous moment is that when there's a drill we are trained to lock our door, but FIRST we have to look up and down the hallway and scoop up any kid who is not in class. If it turned out to be the real thing, the intruder would have been able to enter any classroom during that brief moment when we had to scan the halls and call to any loose student to get in our rooms. In middle school, there's always some kids in the hall---on the way to the bathroom, or pretending to so that they can meet their friends for a minute.

We, the teachers, were not allowed to use our phones during class, of course, but had access to them in an emergency. However, our principal made those of us who were homeroom teachers lock up all the kids' phones for the day.

It had to be done because savvy 8th graders would try to text with their phones in their desks, or take a picture of a test and send that to their friends who would take the same test next period. Of course that meant in an emergency, only I would have my phone, and if I were shot no kids could place a 911 call.

Heartache, heartbreak, all around.

Last edited:
A coalition of principals who survived various school shootings has rallied around the victims of the Uvalde massacre, in which a gunman murdered at least 21 people, including 19 Robb Elementary School students.

The Principal Recovery Network was founded in 2019 by the National Association of Secondary School Principals and works to help those who have experienced the horrors of a mass shooting.

Aaron Katersky
@AaronKatersky

“I was misled,” TX Gov Greg Abbott said. “I am livid about what happened.”

Clarification:

"I was misled": Texas governor says he's "livid" about receiving inaccurate information regarding shooting

I still think the open door is not the biggest concern I have, yes, it is huge but the campus was way to accessible, a perp should not have been able to get to the open door in my opinion.
I don't know enough about high-powered guns to know this, so my question is Couldn't a person with this weapon just shoot through/demolish the lock and get in anyhow?

Ugh...This sounds like another case of "passing the buck"..
Since when is a school district police chief in charge of an active shooter?
The local police were called..various other units were on scene...
I don't believe this.....
Hubby was HS principal for many years. Once the local PD arrived they took over the situation.

Uvalde school police chief identified as commander who decided not to breach classroom​

At a news conference Friday, Texas Department of Public Safety Director Col. Steven McCraw said the person who made the decision not to breach the Uvalde elementary school classroom where a gunman was shooting children and teachers was the school district police chief, calling it the “wrong decision” to not engage the gunman sooner.

The Uvalde School District Police Chief is Pedro “Pete” Arredondo.

"A decision was made that this was a barricaded subject situation," McCraw said of the incident commander's "thought process" at the time.
Pressed by reporters if Arredondo was on the scene during the shooting, McCraw declined to comment.

I'm sure some of it has to do with the risk of accident and culpability. Just because someone carries a weapon doesn't mean they will respond correctly to a threat. A hand gun is no match for an assault rifle. All guns are not created equal. Also, adrenaline can play havoc with control.

Culpability comes from accidents caused by weapons and whether a school can be held responsible. I worked for the OPP. We had a guy in a small detachment who put his weapon on top of a filing cabinet while he was searching for something. He slammed the cabinet drawer shut and his weapon fell on the floor and shot him in the leg. It was all sh*** and giggles because he injured himself, but can you imagine what would have happened if the secretary had been shot? I doubt he would have been sued because Canada isn't a litigious country but there would have been much scrutiny of the detachment and whether protocols involving service weapons were not being followed. Plus he could have been charged with negligence and fired.

In 2018 an FBI officer was dancing wildly in a bar in Texas and when executing a flip his weapon fell to the floor. When he picked it up it discharged shooting a patron in the leg. He plead guilty but what's to stop the victim from suing the bar for not ensuring that people carrying have their weapons secured in a holster not in their pants pocket? It opens up a whole can of worms, imo.

I agree.

Clarification:

"I was misled": Texas governor says he's "livid" about receiving inaccurate information regarding shooting

Who mislead him? Was it while the shootings were happening or after the fact? Big difference. Waiting to see how this is taken care of

Texas' Director of Public Safety broke down in tears as he admitted 19 cops stood outside the classroom where the gunman in Tuesday's shooting had his victims trapped and did nothing because they thought everyone inside was dead, despite ongoing 911 calls from inside from children begging for help.

• Nineteen cops stood outside the classroom where the gunman was for over an hour while kids were outside
  • They thought that everyone inside was dead - despite ongoing 911 calls from kids inside begging for help
  • The shooter fired his last shots at 12.21 and it's unclear if those shots were at the kids or at the door
  • 'Clearly in hindsight, it was the wrong decision,' Texas Director of Safety Steven McCraw said on Friday
  • The 911 calls from inside the classrooms lasted from continued until 12.50pm, when police killed the gunman
  • The kids who were alive and trapped phoned for help seven times unaware that police were outside
  • Police will not say how many people were rescued and how many were shot in the time that lapsed
  • The gunman fired 100 shots when he first arrived at the school then another 16 shots four minutes later

I read most of this thread but some things are still unclear to me, mostly about how the gunman managed to get into the classroom. As a person from Europe, maybe I am missing something important about security in US schools. Can you please help me understand what we know so far?

1. I understand that SR entered Robb Elementary through the unlocked door. But, was it the front door or one of the back ones? It seems really weird to me if the front door had been left completely unsupervised.

2. In an article published on East Idaho News, the 11-year-old survivor describes how the gunman shot out the window in the classroom door, then went in and started shooting to everyone. With the glass window shot out, how is it possible that the police couldn't enter the classroom? Other articles tell that no one could open the door from outside without the key. It seems to make no sense unless I'm missing something important.

Last edited:
Texas' Director of Public Safety broke down in tears as he admitted 19 cops stood outside the classroom where the gunman in Tuesday's shooting had his victims trapped and did nothing because they thought everyone inside was dead, despite ongoing 911 calls from inside from children begging for help.

• Nineteen cops stood outside the classroom where the gunman was for over an hour while kids were outside
  • They thought that everyone inside was dead - despite ongoing 911 calls from kids inside begging for help
  • The shooter fired his last shots at 12.21 and it's unclear if those shots were at the kids or at the door
  • 'Clearly in hindsight, it was the wrong decision,' Texas Director of Safety Steven McCraw said on Friday
  • The 911 calls from inside the classrooms lasted from continued until 12.50pm, when police killed the gunman
  • The kids who were alive and trapped phoned for help seven times unaware that police were outside
  • Police will not say how many people were rescued and how many were shot in the time that lapsed
  • The gunman fired 100 shots when he first arrived at the school then another 16 shots four minutes later

ugh it just got worse if that's possible

The propped open door was the way the shooter gained access to the building. Had the door not been propped open would he have been able to get in?
If all the doors had been closed and locked, as they should be, there would be a very slim chance of him getting inside the building before LE got there. And likely the only death we'd be talking about (or not) would be his. God how I wish that is what happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member