AMBER ALERT Mexico - Shelbie Lynn Dwyer, 17, American, last seen in Sinaloa drug cartel turf, 31 Mar 2023

She's 17 and traveled somewhere willingly, who's to say she doesn't know someone there, possibly has a boyfriend her family didn't know of. Maybe drugs are her reason for being there. IMO
That’s the impression I got. She clearly didn’t fully let her family know what she was doing, as she told her mom that she was going for vacation. But surely they must have been suspicious seeing as she had all this money coming in and she flaunted it online.

There was also a comment on one of her last posts that insinuated someone close to her, (referred by the commentator as her BFF) stole from someone. They were threatening to shoot up her friends house.

If that’s the same friend she travelled with to the Sinaloa region with, I hope they didn’t try to steal and screw the cartel over.

I’d really like to know if the friend returned or not. If the friend did not return are they alive and well in Mexico? I don’t see a missing persons report for that friend. Which also makes me very concerned.

Looking at older posts, she got into some adult things very early. Some posts going back to 2020, which would have made her what… 14/15?

The kind of lifestyle she was living has a short shelf life.

Last edited:
I am shocked by her fb, seems like she was into a lot of adult type things, but still just a kid. At 17 can you even book plane tickets? I'm assuming someone else had to set up the flight in Mexico.
You can book a ticket on an airline if under 18. Internationally, you do have to have a passport or visa. However, going TO Mexico requires a notarized authorization from the parents translated in Spanish. International Child-Travel Regulations | Delta Air Lines. But she DROVE into Mexico, then flew within Mexico. Flying within Mexico she just needs a passport or a copy of her birth certificate. No parental permission. Viva Aerobus

It is tragically ironic that Shelbie also has a tattoo stating “muérde me” which is “bite me” in Spanish.

Does anyone know where that is on her body for identification purposes? I can’t seem to find that info.

@Aurora90

Authorities said Dwyer is 5 feet tall and has several distinctive tattoos, including doves and praying hands on her upper left arm, a rose on her right thumb, and the word “Bendita” — Spanish for “blessed” — on her lower right arm.

She also has a heart on her middle finger and the word “Muerdeme” — or “Bite me” — on her buttocks, the newspaper reported.

Bolded By Me

It's been 15 months since she disappeared in an area known for violent cartels.

I think we all have an indication of reality.

Is it possible this young woman traveled to Sinaloa specifically to join a cartel? A misguided attempt to be involved in excitement, intrigue, a provocative lifestyle of secrecy and subterfuge ? The way she presented herself and the flashing of money etc makes me think she had this self perception of flamboyance which wasn't quite met in Des Moines, WA.

Reminds me of girls who took off to Syria to join ISIS, and as a result faced horrible consequences they never expected.

No words on the person she travelled with....maybe a like minded individual? Or someone she couldn't trust after all?
Whatever happened to her, it's very sad.

You may or may not be surprised to learn that Pacific Northwest is a well known area where the Sinaloa and Jalisco cartels operate.

In fact, the Sinaloa cartel is active in King county WA where Shelby’s home town of Des Moines is located.

Googling the Sinaloa and Jalisco cartels in Washington State is chilling. They like to “set up shop” in small towns where they would not be expected.

Is it possible this young woman traveled to Sinaloa specifically to join a cartel? A misguided attempt to be involved in excitement, intrigue, a provocative lifestyle of secrecy and subterfuge ? The way she presented herself and the flashing of money etc makes me think she had this self perception of flamboyance which wasn't quite met in Des Moines, WA.

Reminds me of girls who took off to Syria to join ISIS, and as a result faced horrible consequences they never expected.

No words on the person she travelled with....maybe a like minded individual? Or someone she couldn't trust after all?
Whatever happened to her, it's very sad.
You may or may not be surprised to learn that Pacific Northwest is a well known area where the Sinaloa and Jalisco cartels operate.

In fact, the Sinaloa cartel is active in King county WA where Shelby’s home town of Des Moines is located.

Googling the Sinaloa and Jalisco cartels in Washington State is chilling. They like to “set up shop” in small towns where they would not be expected.

Tying these two good posts together-I think she met someone who made joining the cartel seem like a good idea. Either she fell for someone who was a member or someone told her there was money to be made. The best possible outcome is that she's still alive and involved with the cartel-though this is also a parent's worst nightmare. Something tells me there wasn't a lot of adult supervision in this child's life, though.

Tying these two good posts together-I think she met someone who made joining the cartel seem like a good idea. Either she fell for someone who was a member or someone told her there was money to be made. The best possible outcome is that she's still alive and involved with the cartel-though this is also a parent's worst nightmare. Something tells me there wasn't a lot of adult supervision in this child's life, though.

I think you are correct. Either boyfriend, money or she was coerced into working for the cartel. With the apparent lack of parental supervision, she was a prime target.
JMO

My guess was that she was going to be a drug runner of sorts. I think she had every intention of coming back to Washington and being a “big player” in her area. I think she that things went south in some way. I don’t think she is there alive and well. If her social media presence is something to go by, had she joined the cartel, she would have maybe not said it outright but definitely flaunted that lifestyle online as well.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oOoJodieoOo
Back