Found Deceased IL - Daniel Sotelo, 26, & Natally Brookson, both found deceased, Chicago, 30 April 2022

A blurb from the article above:
Wilmette police said there are no active missing persons cases in the village and said anyone with information about the incident may call their department at 847-256-1200.

Wilmette probably hasn’t ever had a missing person case. It’s a really affluent village/town. I’m thinking we need to keep an eye on this one.
Imo.

Oh, shoot. Posted my comment too soon. Wilmette has had missing people:
WILMETTE, Ill. (WLS) -- Singer Sinead O'Connor has been found safe after going missing in Chicago's north suburbs.

Wilmette probably hasn’t ever had a missing person case. It’s a really affluent village/town.

Quote RSBM. At first I was going to respond that affluence shouldn't really change the likelihood because there are so many factors that can lead to someone going missing.

But then I thought, perhaps it does decrease the chance - better home security systems and ability to afford mental healthcare, for example.

This is a sad, but not unexpected outcome. I really feel for both Daniel and Natalie’s loved ones - it seems so tragic to lose two young people like this.

Now that both have been recovered, I think its more likely that this was a mutual, planned event of self-harm. Which is even more tragic, to me.

A suicide pact, it seems? Really really devastating. I wonder what they were thinking. I wish they would've gotten help for their depression, or whatever else the thought process was... :(

I read they'd only been dating a couple of months. NB had dropped out of college for the Spring semester so I wonder if they were dating as far back as DEC or longer?

Since NB was the one who dropped classes, it seems she was the one with a possible diagnosis of depression or more aptly, perhaps, depression that was undiagnosed. If that's the case, then she held a lot of power over DS for him to want to end his life just days prior to receiving a Master's Degree in microbiology. He already had a job lined up, according to his family.

<modsnip>

It's difficult to reconcile without knowing more details. I do think C19 restrictions were terrible for all students. My 8yo Gdaughter sat under the dining table at home and refused to conduct her studies on the computer. The 13yo dropped ballet due to classes being held online thereby, causing her to lose her position to dance as Claire in The Nutcracker. Children, of all ages, including this precious couple, need social interaction that the restrictions robbed them of.

May God rest their beautiful souls as their families are restored with Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Condolences to the families, friends and community.

It appears on the surface as a planned suicide pact, but I question since DS's wallet / phone were discovered next to Natally's body. It's hard to imagine that by coincidence they somehow washed up together. Could it be DS discovered Natally and was so distraught he decided at that point to take his own life?

It's difficult to reconcile without knowing more details. I do think C19 restrictions were terrible for all students. My 8yo Gdaughter sat under the dining table at home and refused to conduct her studies on the computer. The 13yo dropped ballet due to classes being held online thereby, causing her to lose her position to dance as Claire in The Nutcracker. Children, of all ages, including this precious couple, need social interaction that the restrictions robbed them of.
I highly doubt their suicides had anything to do with pandemic restrictions, because there have been no restrictions since end of Feb, and even before that, the restrictions were quite loose and college students were still going to parties etc. College classes were in full force without even masks required since Mar 2.

I'd be much more worried about neurological damage from multiple covid infections which college students have surely had considering the more recent strains are so contagious and vaccines barely make a dent in transmission. A huge study just came out that showed that the risk of mental health issues (among a host of other health conditions) in non-hospitalized vaccinated folks was significantly greater than in those who were vaccinated and not infected (ex: 42% greater risk for anxiety). We also know from the UK Biobank study that covid infection significantly reduces gray matter and affects the limbic system, which is an emotional control center. So IMO and judging from the research I've read, it's more likely that IF covid is involved, it's the long-term sequelae of infection and not the nominal restrictions that contributed to their suicidal ideation.

Changes in brain structure w/ covid

Long Covid symptoms including mental health vs uninfected controls

Attachments

• VA Study May 2022 hosp vs non-hosp.png
    VA Study May 2022 hosp vs non-hosp.png
    469.1 KB · Views: 4
I don't pretend to know the cause of this one. Having visited the lake multiple times in July and August, its cold. Any one who would wnter the water at that time of year would (should) know that hypothermia would disable you in 20 minutes even if in the water for only 5 minutes and no shelter or fire.
Either a suicide pact, or one went in and the other tried to help.
IMO

I mean to say entered the water in April or early March. Its common to still have ice breaks that time of year.
IMO
Sorry for the families regardless of what happened. Lots of deaths on the lake even in "good" conditions.

Considering they'd only been dating a couple months, I'd find that hard to believe. I think it's more likely this was a suicide pact. They were bonding over their depression.
This could be very true. I always felt it odd that if this was a planned pact, why Natally worked that day...a full-shift. If I knew I was going to commit suicide or due self harm, I wouldn't be like I have to work and then I will do it after that. just moo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back