Found Safe CO - Robert & Mary Bowman, both in their 70s, from AR, on a camping trip, were in Great Sand Dunes Natl Park, 27 May 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
ALAMOSA COUNTY, Colo. (KRDO) -- The family of Robert and Mary Jane Bowman is extremely concerned after the two stopped communicating with others while on a camping trip in Colorado.

The family says the couple, both in their 70's, loves to find secluded spots to camp. From Arkansas, the pair will often make the trip to one of their favorite places in the world - Colorado.

"They do these trips quite frequently, every year. This is just what they do. They're very experienced campers. They love, love, love just being in the outdoors by themselves," daughter-in-law Beth Bowman told KRDO Tuesday.

Untitled-design-2022-06-07T145837.140-1440x810.png

More at 'Something's wrong,' Family of missing Arkansas couple on Colorado camping trip share concerns - KRDO

The Alamosa County Sheriff's Department is seeking assistance from the public. We are trying to find Robert and Mary Jane Bowman from Garfield Arkansas. They were in the area in the last few days and have not checked in with their Arkansas family.

The vehicle is a blue 2001 Ford pickup with Arkansas plate 445-SBZ. The camper trailer is unique as it is a pickup bed camper mounted on a flat bed trailer.

If you see or have seen the Bowman's please contact the Alamosa County Sheriff Department at 719-589-6608.

In the Alamosa County SO FB link above there are some comments and more info on possible locations.

JMO one good thing is that their truck and camper setup is distinctive (camper mounted on a flatbed) and should be easy to recognize.

After watching the Ronnie and Beverly Barker thread (RVers lost, when located he was deceased) I am praying that this will have a much better outcome.

In the Alamosa County SO FB link above there are some comments and more info on possible locations.

JMO one good thing is that their truck and camper setup is distinctive (camper mounted on a flatbed) and should be easy to recognize.

After watching the Ronnie and Beverly Barker thread (RVers lost, when located he was deceased) I am praying that this will have a much better outcome.
I know, this case reminded me of Ronnie and Beverly right away.

How often would they usually contact their family, I wonder? Every day? Every other day? How long was the trip supposed to be?
The trip was supposed to be a total of 3 weeks. They left on May 23 so they were expecting to return to Arkansas by June 12. They are daily communicators if the have phone service. If they know they will be losing service, they always communicate that with us and they check back in usually no more than 3-4 days max. This is because they would come back to town for supplies and to do laundry.
They told us on May 27th that they would be traveling up the mountain and wouldn’t have service for a few days. This is our last date of contact. By June 2, we started to become concerned, as their phones were still going straight to voicemail. My husband’s (Bob’s son) birthday was June 5 and he always made it a point to call and send him wishes. We really started being aware that something was very wrong when that date passed with no word. To date, their last phone pings were from May 27, on BLM land by the Great Sand Dunes, and their last bank transaction was on May 25.
I hope this provides a lot of extra helpful detail!

"traveling up the mountain" has me concerned. How is that road ? Is it suitable for a pickup trailing a flat bed with a camper? Any steep sides on that road?
I fear an accident has happened, by swerving to avoid an animal, or a rock fall, or a curve taken in a bad way.
Has the area been actively searched, what is the vegetation like on the sides?

It reminds me too much of a case in Southern CA where it took a lot of time to find a vehicle that had plummeted off a mountain road, and another two in Kings Canyon.

I so much hope they will be found safe and ok. They seem like such a lovely adventurous couple.
Feeling for the family, the anxiety must be overwhelming.

"traveling up the mountain" has me concerned. How is that road ? Is it suitable for a pickup trailing a flat bed with a camper? Any steep sides on that road?
I fear an accident has happened, by swerving to avoid an animal, or a rock fall, or a curve taken in a bad way.

It reminds me too much of a case in Southern CA where it took a lot of time to find a vehicle that had plummeted off a mountain road, and another two in Kings Canyon.

I so much hope they will be found safe and ok. They seem like such a lovely adventurous couple.
Yes, these are all of our questions and concerns as well. We’ve ran through about a million and one scenarios and our focus has simply been on how to track down the mountainside they went up.

One small pi

One small piece of comfort is they are very experienced boondockers and they know how to stay safe and are cautious. So if they got into a bind, they have survival skills and we just need to find them

"They told their family they were at Great Sand Dunes National Park and were planning to head up a mountain in the area -- but they didn't specify which mountain." Family of missing couple on Colorado camping trip shares concerns

"which mountain"

It is such a vast area, those mountains. And "they wouldn't have service for a few days", no phone pings after the 27th.

checking the weather May 27 to May 31....lows below freezing so I imagine the mountains still had snow? Could part of the roads up there have been icy?

One small pi

One small piece of comfort is they are very experienced boondockers and they know how to stay safe and are cautious. So if they got into a bind, they have survival skills and we just need to find them
Sending positive thoughts to your family from England. They sound like an amazing couple, let’s hope today brings you good news.

UPDATE TODAY:

DUE TO THE HIGH VOLUME OF REPORTED SIGHTINGS, WE ARE ASKING FOR INFO ON SIGHTINGS WITHIN THE LAST 5 DAYS.

WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE PUBLIC FOR THEIR CONTINUING ASSISTANCE.

The Alamosa County Sheriff's Department is
seeking assistance from the public. We are trying to find Robert and Mary Jane Bowman from Garfield Arkansas. They were in the area in the last few days and have not checked in with their Arkansas family. The vehicle is a blue 2001 Ford pickup with Arkansas plate 445-SBZ. The camper trailer is unique as it is a pickup bed camper mounted on a flat bed trailer.

If you see or have seen the Bowman's anytime after June 5th please contact the Alamosa County Sheriff Department at 719-589-6608

^ what does that mean after June 5th? Does that mean they were actually seen very recently after the 28th May?
High volume of sightings....given their vehicles some of these sighting may be very credible.
They may have been able to at least focus on an area in those mountains, and the direction they were traveling ....hopefully.

Ok, what if they love it so much up in those mountains that they are staying longer than anticipated, and that they've found a nice secluded spot to camp.
Plus it was mentioned they've had altitude problems before, so maybe they took it easy on the way up by extending the time a few days more.
It's possible.
Hoping for a positive outcome.

One small pi

GRLBOWMAN: First off, a huge hug to you and your husband (and everyone else in the family). I can't imagine what you are going through.

Thank you for what you've shared so far. Perhaps you could give us a better idea of what your in-laws did generally when they went on these trips. You mentioned the ATVs. Was that typically what they did when they went on tougher terrain? Did they ever hike?
I guess the fact that their vehicle/trailer hasn't been found indicates that no one knows what direction they went in. If they went off on their ATVs or on a hike, you would think that someone would have seen their vehicle/camper. Did they often take the vehicle through tough terrain?

Anything you know about their typical behavior and style on their camping trips would be helpful.

Again, hugs to all.

That they are asking only for sightings AFTER June 5, tells me that they were seen on June 5. So that's a positive. But it would be nice to know where they were seen specifically. Were they with their vehicle? Were they in town? Were they on their ATVs? LE knows something that they aren't sharing with us.

That they are asking only for sightings AFTER June 5, tells me that they were seen on June 5. So that's a positive. But it would be nice to know where they were seen specifically. Were they with their vehicle? Were they in town? Were they on their ATVs? LE knows something that they aren't sharing with us.
family needs to have LE update Google Earth.. this can be done in less than 24 hours.. they updated Google Earth for a missing man and plane near Reno.. they updated about 2-3 thousand square mines. people from home, even around the world, can look for the truck/camper from the sky.. the Air Force & NASA update satellite images… they will help… but… someone with authority has to ask them.. like the Sheriff… or state police….

family needs to have LE update Google Earth.. this can be done in less than 24 hours.. they updated Google Earth for a missing man and plane near Reno.. they updated about 2-3 thousand square mines. people from home, even around the world, can look for the truck/camper from the sky.. the Air Force & NASA update satellite images… they will help… but… someone with authority has to ask them.. like the Sheriff… or state police….
miles.. not mines )) very important, what direction, north or south were they going when approaching the Sand Dunes.?? last “confirmed” sighting..?? is this information posted on a family facebook page.?? independent searchers need information please..

miles.. not mines )) very important, what direction, north or south were they going when approaching the Sand Dunes.?? last “confirmed” sighting..?? is this information posted on a family facebook page.?? independent searchers need information please..
@GRLBOWMAN
I know you are very busy & worried but could you please respond to this question about the location of any confirmed sighting on June 5th?

Also, if a family-led search page has been created on Facebook, please link here.

I hope your loved ones are found well very soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back