Still Missing Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
you are talking about the soft earth area I believe. The story was that concrete was there to stop water accumulating as it ran off the hill to the rear. Police dug down and found a sheet of rock that was quite shallow and went under the house. It was not a possible grave site - the body , if there would have been so close to the surface that ... you can imagine what would happen.
What the LE did not do was empty out the septic tank quick smart. They got around to it eventually. that was a big error or simple laziness.
Look , CD got rid of a body between say 10 pm and 7am the next morning on the night of the 8th of Jan , 1981. Two children were in the house at the time. He "could not" have killed Lynn silently done grave preparation in the previous weeks, not near the house as Lynn would have seen it and got suspicious (and what about JC and neighbours ? ) so in your theory he or he and PD dug that grave and filled it in with an invisible top in 6-7 hours without disturbing anyone sleeping in the house. It seems very unlikely and even if they pulled it off, the grave would be shallow because of all the underlying rock and the corpse might have to be moved.
I think he moved her...more than once.

Each time... a fresh bag of lime.

If she isn't there now in the earth.......she was at some stage.

HIs paranoia and going to bayview for a 'walk round' every time he went to Sydney....

whatcha lookin for CD??

Is there a verified date that PD MD and children went away for their first ever holiday in the caravan? Could it have been after Jan 8th? It does seem unlikely that there was time to dig a grave on the property /bury Lyn and leave no trace on the night she disappeared. So was Lyn's body concealed somewhere until a time she could be moved to some remote location?
When CD supposedly dropped Lyn at the bus stop where were the children? Later did CD drop the children to the pool to Lyn's Mum and go somewhere or did he stay at the pool the whole time until the supposed call from Lyn.
Sorry just trying to make sense of the timeline for that 24hrs.

It depends whose version of the truth you want.

There was no verification that they went anywhere to my knowledge. Borrowed a friends caravan at Lake Munmorah (from Marilyn's statement) not specific to dates. From 4th January (from Helena Simms diaries). I think it was a couple of days after. According to Marilyn they only found out about Lyn's disappearance when they got back.

There was some comments perhaps in an inquest questioning if Chris could have driven past there on the way to South West Rocks.

Lyn and Chris' seems to have been a very one sided marriage, particularly in the latter years. There was Lyn, thinking and treating Chris like the sun shone out of his you-know-where and Chris unfaithful, abusive and openly stating 'she' had to go.

In most everything we have heard about Chris and some snippets regarding Paul, they have come across as tight with their money, to say the least.

We have heard numerous examples of how controlling Chris was with Lyn when it came to the finances and more recent information points to JC receiving the exact same treatment.

Without wishing to make excuses for Chris or Paul, I wonder if they lived beyond their means and money was genuinely tight for both?

Chris and Paul were sports teachers. Hardly well paid careers. Both were professional rugby players but were less successful than most would have you believe and they played in the days when payments were miniscule by today's standards. Lyn was a nurse and not sure what Marilyn did? Although it has been suggested Marily was a stay at home mum for at least some of the time.

In 1976, Chris & Lyn paid $33,500 for their 4165 sqm vacant block of land at 2 Gilwinga Drive and Paul & Marilyn paid $31,500 for their 4060 sqm vacant block of land at 6 Gilwinga Drive.

Not sure how much later they built their homes on their respective vacant blocks and how much they paid for them? But it is fair to say they were imposing structures.

Chris & Lyn's house eventually consisted 5 bedrooms, family room, separate dining room, sunroom, large alfresco area, 2 studies, 4 car garage and large swimming pool.

With their relatively modest earning capacities, I have to wonder where all the money came from? Surely money was tight?

Chris transferred 2 Gilwinga Drive solely to his ownership in 1984 and in 1986 sold it for $285,000.

Many years later, in 2017, 2 Gilwinga Drive sold for $2.4 million.

I find the bit about Chris supposedly dropping Lyn at the bus stop at 7am, bizarre, on 2 fronts. Firstly, the shops surely didn't open until 9 at the earliest, and she would have been there well before opening. Depending on where she was going - Gilwinga Drive to Warriewood Square is an 11 min drive - if he dropped her at the bus stop at Mona Vale, she was already 9/10ths of the way there. She might potentially have been going to Narrabeen or Chatswood, but a loving husband would surely just drive her to where she was going?

I guess it depends how premeditated it was. Possibly much more than Boris or Baden-Clay.

So a initial burial site and then when they/he realises that no body is really questioning or pursing him in any big way he/they moved her to another location. Somewhere familar to them or their family holiday spot.

I think Podcast could be on to something in regards to PD and MD going on a caravan trip around the 8th. MOO

I find the bit about Chris supposedly dropping Lyn at the bus stop at 7am, bizarre, on 2 fronts. Firstly, the shops surely didn't open until 9 at the earliest, and she would have been there well before opening. Depending on where she was going - Gilwinga Drive to Warriewood Square is an 11 min drive - if he dropped her at the bus stop at Mona Vale, she was already 9/10ths of the way there. She might potentially have been going to Narrabeen or Chatswood, but a loving husband would surely just drive her to where she was going?
To confirm what you are saying, in the 2003 inquest the story about dropping Lyn off at the bus stop at 7am was discounted. Lyn didn't drive so was dependent on others for transport. Chatswood where she was supposed to be going would have been easier for Chris to drop her off. That would have been 2 buses to get to Chatswood, one to Dee Why and another to Chatswood.

Is there a verified date that PD MD and children went away for their first ever holiday in the caravan? Could it have been after Jan 8th? It does seem unlikely that there was time to dig a grave on the property /bury Lyn and leave no trace on the night she disappeared. So was Lyn's body concealed somewhere until a time she could be moved to some remote location?
When CD supposedly dropped Lyn at the bus stop where were the children? Later did CD drop the children to the pool to Lyn's Mum and go somewhere or did he stay at the pool the whole time until the supposed call from Lyn.
Sorry just trying to make sense of the timeline for that 24hrs.
There is another post that says they borrowed a friend's caravan at a lake - if this is true then there is no way that a caravan containing a body was driven out of Sydney. And it does not make sense - just use a plastic bag and your boot. You could jacknife the caravan or have some other fault and things then get very complex.

The P Dawsons had a girl who was perhaps 10 years old at the time I seem to recall. She would have had to go with them. That makes it even less likely that the P Dawsons moved a corpse out of town because they now have a potential witness . Nobody has answered the where were the children ? question re the CD drop off of Lynn.

CD went to his part time lifeguard work at the pool and took the girls. THis was previously arranged with Lynn's mother I believe. Then he had to stay at the pool all day or until he was relieved.

I believe the alleged LD call came in while Lynn's mother was there. CD was called to the phone - that means the assistant answered the phone . THis is cunning as in any later investigation she can say she heard a woman's voice . I strongly suspect that woman was Marilyn Dawson.

I believe CD he had an assistant at the pool and her diary was possibly going to be part of this trial - she was paid on the basis of the time she was there and she may have notes about when he arrived and left on that day.

The house had a septic tank as when the area was first built on there was no reticulated sewage. The police emptied and investigated that tank months or even years after the first reports that LD was missing. Paul's house also has such a tank. That one was never searched in terms of what the public has been told. I don't like the septic tank idea. If for some reason you can't move the body on quickly it is going to disintegrate. THen you will have a real problem trying get rid of all the evidence.

My guess is that PD came back overnight and helped CD dispose of a body or a drugged person who died when she went into the sea in chains , likely from a surfboard . Neither brother owned a boat as far as I know. Hiring a boat would be far too risky for such a burial at sea operation especially if you knew next to nothing about beach and ramp launches. Chris did not have to have Paul helping for this but having two people and two cars makes issues like the breakdown of single car not so serious.

Was there a handy creek or river nearby, ala the Baden Clay case. Except this time the body has yet to be discovered.
Or would someone have driven a distance to dispose of a body, like in a national park, or somewhere not many people go.

Maybe Lynette is one of the found remains that have yet to be identified.

I was looking at timing of things from 9pm 8 January with the phone call from Helena Simms the night before Lyn was noticed to be missing. These are based on statements from the Australian Wordpress documents and newspaper articles.

Joanne has been away from 2 January and Paul and Marilyn and kids from 4th January

9 January
Sometime before 7am Lyn had made lunches for the kids and done a load of washing.

7am Chris dropped Lyn off at Mona Vale bus stop. (kids must be at home still sleeping).
Comes home and gets the kids breakfast.

Chris brings the kids with him to work. What I really want to know is who was looking after the kids. What if a rescue was needed. Had the intention been that Lyn be there and look after the kids. It is not detailed as to when Phil Day got there but was he there to look after the kids in case Chris was needed to rescue someone. Is the lifesaving job more a supervisory role that nothing really happens. I just don't think the Northbridge baths would be an appropriate place to take 2 kids to especially if they weren't supervised.

12noon or after Lyn expected at Northbridge Baths.

2pm Helena Simms arrives at pool

3pm STD phone call from unknown person.

Phil Day is also there. Best man at Chris and Lyn's wedding.

Phil drops Helena and the kids home to Helena Simms place in Cloverly

10 January Chris is at South West Rocks which is about a 5 hour drive from Sydney now. This may have been longer at the time depending on traffic as Pacific Highway is now 2 lanes all the way to South West Rocks but at least some of it would have been 1 lane at the time.

I was looking at timing of things from 9pm 8 January with the phone call from Helena Simms the night before Lyn was noticed to be missing. These are based on statements from the Australian Wordpress documents and newspaper articles.

Joanne has been away from 2 January and Paul and Marilyn and kids from 4th January

9 January
Sometime before 7am Lyn had made lunches for the kids and done a load of washing.

7am Chris dropped Lyn off at Mona Vale bus stop. (kids must be at home still sleeping).

Chris brings the kids with him to work. What I really want to know is who was looking after the kids. What if a rescue was needed. Had the intention been that Lyn be there and look after the kids. It is not detailed as to when Phil Day got there but was he there to look after the kids in case Chris was needed to rescue someone. Is the lifesaving job more a supervisory role that nothing really happens. I just don't think the Northbridge baths would be an appropriate place to take 2 kids to especially if they weren't supervised.

10 January Chris is at South West Rocks which is about a 5 hour drive from Sydney now. This may have been longer at the time depending on traffic as Pacific Highway is now 2 lanes all the way to South West Rocks but at least some of it would have been 1 lane at the time.
Agree that it makes no sense for Lyn to catch buses to Chatswood at 7am when it was, in 1982, a 10 minute drive from Northbridge baths. The only safe place for CD's children at Northbridge baths was in the kiosk. In school holidays at height of summer CD should have been busy supervising at these baths given there are multiple swimming/ diving areas.

9 January

I suspect there was no plan for the 2 little girls to be at the pool with CD that morning.
Simply on the fly.

I always wondered why he didn't dump them on Marilyn for the day as he is very important....having to stand around at the pool all day and watch young girls in bikinis frolicking in the sun. :rolleyes:

Was there a handy creek or river nearby, ala the Baden Clay case. Except this time the body has yet to be discovered.
Or would someone have driven a distance to dispose of a body, like in a national park, or somewhere not many people go.

Maybe Lynette is one of the found remains that have yet to be identified.
Yes there was McCarrs creek, 10 minute drive from Bayview that had easy car access to waterway. Entrance to national park 15 mins away. lots of waterways ...

There is another post that says they borrowed a friend's caravan at a lake - if this is true then there is no way that a caravan containing a body was driven out of Sydney. And it does not make sense - just use a plastic bag and your boot. You could jacknife the caravan or have some other fault and things then get very complex.

The P Dawsons had a girl who was perhaps 10 years old at the time I seem to recall. She would have had to go with them. That makes it even less likely that the P Dawsons moved a corpse out of town because they now have a potential witness . Nobody has answered the where were the children ? question re the CD drop off of Lynn.

CD went to his part time lifeguard work at the pool and took the girls. THis was previously arranged with Lynn's mother I believe. Then he had to stay at the pool all day or until he was relieved.

I believe the alleged LD call came in while Lynn's mother was there. CD was called to the phone - that means the assistant answered the phone . THis is cunning as in any later investigation she can say she heard a woman's voice . I strongly suspect that woman was Marilyn Dawson.

I believe CD he had an assistant at the pool and her diary was possibly going to be part of this trial - she was paid on the basis of the time she was there and she may have notes about when he arrived and left on that day.

The house had a septic tank as when the area was first built on there was no reticulated sewage. The police emptied and investigated that tank months or even years after the first reports that LD was missing. Paul's house also has such a tank. That one was never searched in terms of what the public has been told. I don't like the septic tank idea. If for some reason you can't move the body on quickly it is going to disintegrate. THen you will have a real problem trying get rid of all the evidence.

My guess is that PD came back overnight and helped CD dispose of a body or a drugged person who died when she went into the sea in chains , likely from a surfboard . Neither brother owned a boat as far as I know. Hiring a boat would be far too risky for such a burial at sea operation especially if you knew next to nothing about beach and ramp launches. Chris did not have to have Paul helping for this but having two people and two cars makes issues like the breakdown of single car not so serious.
IMO the STD call to the pool may been JC because she had been told by CD to call him everyday while she was at South West Rocks?

I agree

Yes there was McCarrs creek, 10 minute drive from Bayview that had easy car access to waterway. Entrance to national park 15 mins away. lots of waterways ...
The back boundary of 2 or 6 met the national park. Can't remember which one.
Got the feeling its 6.
IMO she is out the back in the national park of TWIN 1 BAYVIEW if not still within the boundaries at #2

I must be missing something... From the timeline and other info just on this current page, I can see CD having lots of opportunities to dispose of a body. The land is over 4000 sqm. Surely he could hide her body somewhere the little girls wouldn't find in the early morning. Then once they left home to Northbridge, no one would drop by the home for the entire day. CD went home by himself. Then the next morning he went on a few hours trip up the coast. He could have buried or disposed of her anywhere along the way. Simple - or what am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419