VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not watched tonight's full interview but have seen the snippets that dropped earlier this week. One thing that seems to have happened with AH is that she is seeming to mix up what played out on social media during the trial with what was actually said in court. My first thought was, wow, was she obsessively scrolling SM each night during the trial (which would be a huge no-no), or did she start reading all the SM firestorm after the trial ended?

She so confidentally has said there is no way the lowly average jury folk** could avoid it. I wonder...is that because she couldn't either?

**lowly average jury folk--not her words, but definitely what she conveyed
I'm not sure, but I think the parties could look at SM but not post anything until the trial was over...correct me if I'm wrong! I thought that was evident that after the week-long break, she and her team had "sudden recollections" that allowed her to attempt to make corrections on the stand. The jury might have found it difficult but doable to avoid SM and conversation during that week, and imo, they noticed that AH's recollections adjusted after the break. Heck, EB even basically stated that AH had some time to remember correct versions, or something along those lines, and dived right in.
MOO

Wouldn’t the media have pounced on any signs that said something about burn the witch? Or her lawyers? Her PR team?
JMO
So far I've only seen one sign and that had the word liar from the courthouse clips they've shown.

I'm not sure, but I think the parties could look at SM but not post anything until the trial was over...correct me if I'm wrong! I thought that was evident that after the week-long break, she and her team had "sudden recollections" that allowed her to attempt to make corrections on the stand. The jury might have found it difficult but doable to avoid SM and conversation during that week, and imo, they noticed that AH's recollections adjusted after the break. Heck, EB even basically stated that AH had some time to remember correct versions, or something along those lines, and dived right in.
MOO

I am so sorry because I should have worded my post better because I am not sure if the parties could look at SM either. I will try to edit it.

I wondered that also and I've been researching that over the last hour or so. In California, it appears mental health professionals are NOT mandated reporters. The following is from CAMFT, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists

snipped:

To summarize, LMFTs [Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists] are not health practitioners defined in the law to report a client who is a victim of domestic violence. However, other reporting duties may be triggered by the effects of domestic violence if the victim is part of a protected class, such as minors, elders or dependent adults.

ETA: Now IF her therapist wasn't a LMFT, but was instead a psychologist, the rules may be different. I'm still trying to tie this down definitively but having to wade through a lot.
As a therapist, mandated reporting often is not related to partner violence unless there is immediate risk of death. It’s most often related to child abuse or elder abuse or immediate threats of death (suicide or homicide). There are not agencies to respond to DV (like child protective services, for example, so there would not be an agency to report to) If someone tells you in therapy that they are being abused by a partner, in most states you would not be required to report that nor would it necessarily be indicated to do so as partner violence can be complex and might require a different route towards safety (reporting can sometimes actually be more dangerous than going to a safe house, etc). It’s up to the person and their therapist to work together to find the best approach to navigating it safely.

Given what was posted earlier -- that the notes belong to the therapist under HIPAA and they do not have to provide them to the patient -- I wonder if AH received permission from the therapist to show the notes to the news media and the general public?
That would be very unusual. Therapists keep two types of notes - medical and psychotherapy. The medical notes are very brief and include very little that an outsider would understand. They are the only notes that can be required to be shared via subpoena, request, etc. Even then we can argue against sharing/appeal as we must do everything we can to protect our client from notes being misinterpreted and rather than being used as a shield (as they might have intended through requesting them) are used against them. We can also keep something called psychotherapy notes which would often be handwritten and have more details to help us with our own memory. We never share these and can’t even be required to share them in court. It would be highly unusual for a therapist to keep notes like this let alone share them.

Last edited:
That would be very unusual. Therapists keep two types of notes - medical and psychotherapy. The medical notes are very brief and include very little that an outsider would understand. They are the only notes that can be required to be shared via subpoena, request, etc. Even then we can argue against sharing/appeal as we must do everything we can to protect our client from notes being misinterpreted and rather being used as a shield (as they might have intended through requesting them) are used against them. We can also keep something called psychotherapy notes which would often be handwritten and have more details to help us with our own memory. We never share these and can’t even be required to share them in court. It would be highly unusual for a therapist to keep notes like this let alone share them.
This is all very interesting, especially the last 3 sentences. Very interesting. Hmm

(During the interview tonight, an opinion columnist gave her opinion of social media. This is Angenette Levy's response)

An opinion columnist just called social media an "orgy in misogyny." Now, "mob mentality." I attended that trial for 4 weeks. There were supporters outside and inside the courtroom. 100 allowed in each day to courtroom. Zero mob mentality in that courtroom.
@LawCrimeNetwork

Since AH made such a big deal about the binder of notes, I figured NBC would show the quantity of them or show close ups. All they showed were the screen shots we saw last night. But I guess she did the damage she wanted by saying there was a binder of documented abuse and let people assume the worst. IMHO

This is what makes me question the motives behind some of AH's (former) friends' testimonies. I have to wonder if any of them are just wishing this would all go away, if any of them ever came to terms with their (mis)understanding of events because the context was what AH told them. They had to offer observations or a form of participation in the event to be a witness--eg. observing the presence/absence of violence, taking action by calling 911, etc.

Cognitive dissonance is real, especially when you're spending a good deal of time with a master manipulator like AH, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them initially "remembered" events in a way that favored AH and stuck with it--now that there is some time and distance between them and AH, I wonder how many of them "remember" differently but feel like they have to protect themselves by continuing to lie.

AH needed witnesses, and some of them were so not there for it, imo. None of them expected their participation to be revisited this many years later. If AH had turned over more of her data, as requested, she might have been able to call more recent/relevant witnesses. IMO, the consequences of turning over that data is scarier to her than not having enough/believable witnesses.
The witnesses aka freeloaders still strike me as horrible bottom feeders. People with integrity would fess up and take the perjury laps. They should all be boycotted IMO.
So far I've only seen one sign and that had the word liar from the courthouse clips they've shown.
Someone said “burn the witch” was in the UK, and a pretty memorable visual rendition too.

nobody seems to think they saw it here, and I believe it would be just like her to lie about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley