Big Earthquake *merged threads*

We were rocking and rolling for about 10 seconds

scared the hell out of my cats.
I cant imagine- 10 seconds probably seemed like a long time- was this strong enough to knock things off tables/ walls?

nope, they bailed when it happened. they haven't come out of hiding yet. give them a couple of hours to recover.

Awww, poor things.

Do aftershocks always follow an earthquake? I just wonder how your cats will handle those.

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear this.
Oh, don't worry. That's just a shaker, strong enough you can feel it, probably won't do any damage at all. Unless it's a 6.something, it's not anything more than entertainment, and even low 6's often don't do any real damage.

I miss earthquakes. They're fun. Up here in Seattle, we don't have really anything - they mention them, but when you look, they hardly ever have any real action.

I went hiking around the epicenter the week after that hit, in the Forest of Nisene Marks. that was an experience to see the ridges split open, and the slides in the mountains.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buzz,

You were sure brave back then. Would you do it all over again now?????
Since we've lived in Brentwood (6 years now) we haven't felt any, but when we lived in the Trivalley area we felt them alot. We lived off of Foothill Road which was almost on top of the San Andreas Fault...I'm glad we're over here now!! LOL

Oh, don't worry. That's just a shaker, strong enough you can feel it, probably won't do any damage at all. Unless it's a 6.something, it's not anything more than entertainment, and even low 6's often don't do any real damage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You're right, Details, but I still get queasy with the 5.0's and above. LOL

Felt it here in Fremont. Both dogs started barking then it hit.But it was a baby.After a 1989 this was was a piece of cake.

LOL, details, "entertainment". LOL
Ahhhhh, they definitely are. Gets your heart beat going, much like a rolller coaster. I used to have a waterbed, and feeling the waves was so much fun.

I still jump up (most of the time) and go for the door frame, but they're just kinda fun. Might feel differently if I was in a bigger one, but I've only been in a 6.3 and a ton of lower ones.

Ahhhhh, they definitely are. Gets your heart beat going, much like a rolller coaster. I used to have a waterbed, and feeling the waves was so much fun.

I still jump up (most of the time) and go for the door frame, but they're just kinda fun. Might feel differently if I was in a bigger one, but I've only been in a 6.3 and a ton of lower ones.
LOL! I was just telling my kids what it felt like in a waterbed! I had one in Jr. High. This wasn't scary at all here. A nice little shake. My kids first one (that they can remember).

Gotta love California! Rock N Roll!!

Hang on to your kitties BUZZ, might get an aftershock or two!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buzz,

You were sure brave back then. Would you do it all over again now?????
Since we've lived in Brentwood (6 years now) we haven't felt any, but when we lived in the Trivalley area we felt them alot. We lived off of Foothill Road which was almost on top of the San Andreas Fault...I'm glad we're over here now!! LOL
Share-in, I probably would still do it again, except the one across a slide area, that had trees hanging, above us, by their roots.

The San Andreas Fault is close by, and I have hiked along it a few times.

from the given location, it was less than 20 miles from my location.

Buzz I'm real close to epicenter also. I thought it was a in the 6's at first. I'm surprized it was in the 5's. My daughter is in san Jose. They had dishes fall out of cupboards.

I don't think there will be any big problems from this .

I had to go comfort my poor little birdies. They we're all very frightened. 2 cockatiels, two budgies,a red rump parrot and a white dove. The oldest is my cockatiel Montana and he's 12 so none of them have ever experienced this much shaking since Loma Prieta (7.1) was 18 years ago Oct.17th and they weren't alive yet. Poor little things. They are okay now, since mommy comforted them and told them it will be okay.

my little female cat, Scoot, who was on my lap when the earthquake hit, just came back out of hiding, and she's back on my lap again. she's keeping one eye open, just in case.

Are you guys a rockin and a rollin up there? Nothing down here.

Northern CA - Bay Area
Buzz I see the quake was at 8:04:54 and you didn't start this thread until 8:06. WTH took you so long?
Montana 16 I see you were dragging behind at 8:07. C'mon you guys we want this news in real time!

Stay safe all you Bay Area folks :)

5.6 would still get my butt moving!!! Might not cause damage, but it can scare the heck out of ya!!

Buzz I see the quake was at 8:04:54 and you didn't start this thread until 8:06. WTH took you so long?
Montana 16 I see you were dragging behind at 8:07. C'mon you guys we want this news in real time!
JBeanya, I was trying to locate my cats - sorry for the delay. We were due; in fact we are still due.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back