TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up to my previous post--@Mariposa, wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't referring to you with my comment criticizing everyone critiquing CA's clothing. Your comment about her apparel in the context of a clue to her role is totally worth considering.

Also, I think you're on to something re: this Cofer connection giving CA enhanced ability to communicate with KA. Think about it, if BOTH KA and CA have attorney/client confidentiality with Cofer, this means he can then relay communication between the two of them without it being recorded or subject to subpoena. He can get all the deets from CA on what she knows and he can better strategize for KA.
Seems like a big conflict of interest to me. MOO.

I certainly am not trained in legal matters, but am wondering if the grand jury indictment of KA is a strong point in the prosecution’s favor. In other words, they might have ruled, no, there’s been a rush to judgment here and the evidence is not solid, we’re not going to indict.

Or are these indictments just a matter of course?

After seeing CA with KA’s defense team in court the other day, I get the impression that she was instrumental in trying to secure representation for her sister….it appears the sisters were very close. I would assume that the two discussed a plan when KA went to NY visiting her at Camp Haven after selling her Jeep to CarMax, and before leaving for Costa Rica. (btw, I also think selling her Jeep was two-fold…for the obvious cash and to get rid of possible DNA evidence that could have been left behind in that vehicle after the murder).

As of now, it seems as though her sister will do whatever to support KA. Although I’m sure the authorities would have liked for her to be helpful to their case, they are probably realizing it won’t happen…which could be another reason why the federal charge was dismissed without prejudice when it was…well, at least for now.

moo

Last edited:
^^BBM

From the AA, following up on info obtained from MW's host, detectives identified CS and traveled to the address obtained from his DL on the morning of 5/12 (the murder occurred on the evening of 5/11).

At that time, CS agreed to come to the APD homicide office to speak to detectives

RSBM - great post overall - thank you!

Snipped because I am wondering if any of you know: Might we eventually see video interview of CS/KA questioning on 5/12?

I am a physician and do not know much about how legal processes work. Lol. But, would like to see their reactions and mannerisms on initial questioning. Seems like this whole thing might be pretty zipped-up, though, out of respect for Mo and her family. A good thing, if so. Thanks for anyone's input on these interview vids.

no probable cause to detain/search CS at this date/time including testing for gunshot residue.

ah, one more question I'll throw out there... is it not probable cause that CS had been the last to see MW alive?

If my daughter went on a date and was killed within hours, I would really hope local police would check her date immediately for any evidence that might be useful later, whether he is the perp or not. I'm disappointed to think spending that time together is not probable cause to collect evidence, but glad to be enlightened. thanks, yall.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
an unrelated arrest warrant was served on KA at the residence she was sharing with CS, and she was transported to APD

one last thing on my mind this afternoon:
do you think this (respectfully snipped above) means KA opted out of voluntarily going to talk to police when CS went? Maybe that is what drew some attention to her initially?

ah, one more question I'll throw out there... is it not probable cause that CS had been the last to see MW alive?

If my daughter went on a date and was killed within hours, I would really hope local police would check her date immediately for any evidence that might be useful later, whether he is the perp or not. I'm disappointed to think spending that time together is not probable cause to collect evidence, but glad to be enlightened. thanks, yall.

(edited for clarity)
Probably why they took blood/DNA samples from Strickland.

(edited for clarity)

Agree, CS was the last person known to see/be with MW and LE knew that the night of the killing. At that point, he had to be a POI, but they waited until the next morning to pay him a visit.

They didn't collect evidence until the evening of May 12th, almost 24 hours after the killing of MW when they had a search warrant for CS's residence.

Agree, CS was the last person known to see/be with MW and LE knew that the night of the killing. At that point, he had to be a POI, but they waited until the next morning to pay him a visit.

They didn't collect evidence until the evening of May 12th, almost 24 hours after the killing of MW when they had a search warrant for CS's residence.
Did it take them that long to get the search warrant? And all of this will be used as ammunition by the defense, unfortunately.

There had been another shooting in East Austin at 3:30pm on May 11th, which I remember reading was unusual. I wonder if APD were overwhelmed or tired by 10pm. I empathize with what must have been a horrendous workday, and don't find it helpful to point fingers to areas of incompetence like Cofer apparently does.... but if an exhausting workday is what lets a murderer off the hook, to go journal and vlog about life lessons as a fugitive and her search for true love, it will certainly not be justice served. JMO.

Answering @hurryhome Sorry, I forgot to hit reply first!

I don’t think it was ever mentioned if KA was at the house when APD came and first spoke to CS. APD was able to obtain video from a neighbor that showed KA’s vehicle stopping at the apartment when MW was murdered, then they found that vehicle at the house. Cash also gave APD information about KA and CS, then spoke to CS.

From the AA…
It was discovered that KA had an outstanding warrant for her arrest and KA was located and transported to APD Homicide unit.

Answering @hurryhome Sorry, I forgot to hit reply first!

I don’t think it was ever mentioned if KA was at the house when APD came and first spoke to CS. APD was able to obtain video from a neighbor that showed KA’s vehicle stopping at the apartment when MW was murdered, then they found that vehicle at the house. Cash also gave APD information about KA and CS, then spoke to CS.

From the AA…
It was discovered that KA had an outstanding warrant for her arrest and KA was located and transported to APD Homicide unit.

Did Cash give information to APD about KA or just CS? I hadn't seen in MSM that CC gave LE information on KA.

There had been another shooting in East Austin at 3:30pm on May 11th, which I remember reading was unusual. I wonder if APD were overwhelmed or tired by 10pm. I empathize with what must have been a horrendous workday, and don't find it helpful to point fingers to areas of incompetence like Cofer apparently does.... but if an exhausting workday is what lets a murderer off the hook, to go journal and vlog about life lessons as a fugitive and her search for true love, it will certainly not be justice served. JMO.
Historically in Austin because of the political activism there (lots of large marches with potential violence due to it being the capital of Texas), the police force has been very well-trained and staffed.

A sharp ongoing increase in murders since 2008 when the population began exploding is a huge challenge. Murders are no longer rare.

Because of the city leaders' decision post-BLM riots to decrease funding for policing, the excellent police protection the city has depended on has decreased. They don't have enough officers & have likely lost some of their best.

This is not a defense of poor policing, it is a clarification of expectations in the new law enforcement environment many cities across America are coping with. And Austin in particular.

Obviously, there are consequences!

MOO

Last edited:
RSBM - great post overall - thank you!

Snipped because I am wondering if any of you know: Might we eventually see video interview of CS/KA questioning on 5/12?

I am a physician and do not know much about how legal processes work. Lol. But, would like to see their reactions and mannerisms on initial questioning. Seems like this whole thing might be pretty zipped-up, though, out of respect for Mo and her family. A good thing, if so. Thanks for anyone's input on these interview vids.

From the AA, it appears KA was quiet, and her body very still. She nodded her head a few times and at one point, rolled her eyes when responding to a question about MW. That's all we know about her interview before she got up and left APD.

1658600057446.png

^^RSBM

No, this is not true.

From the AA, we know that while CS was being interviewed at APD, search warrant #SW22104037 was executed at his residence where the authorities recovered two guns purchased by CS.

I'm sure we will learn that multiple search warrants were issued during this investigation but it's absolutely false to say police waited until evening or almost 24 hours to collect evidence.

1658600708719.png

Did it take them that long to get the search warrant? And all of this will be used as ammunition by the defense, unfortunately.
No it did not! There's no basis for that statement by OP when it's very clear in the AA that a warrant was executed on CS's residence while he was at APD on the morning of 5/12!

Did Cash give information to APD about KA or just CS? I hadn't seen in MSM that CC gave LE information on KA.
If Cash found it necessary to go home and talk to MW about meeting CS after she received MW’s text (stated in AA), don’t you think MW had confided in her about the situation with CS & KA and she would have told APD after she found her good friend shot to death in her house?

^^BBM

From the AA, following up on info obtained from MW's host, detectives identified CS and traveled to the address obtained from his DL on the morning of 5/12 (the murder occurred on the evening of 5/11).

At that time, CS agreed to come to the APD homicide office to speak to detectives. CS was advised he was free to leave at any time. There was no probable cause to detain/search CS at this date/time including testing for gunshot residue.

(It further appears it was not until after 8 PM that authorities obtained a signed search warrant to secure CS DNA. I suspect ballistics from the spent shells from the crime scene and/or the victim's body were not yet matched to the weapon purchased by CS for AS).

According to Wikipedia, gunshot residue only lasts about 4-6 hours.

Gunshot residue is the consistency of flour and typically only stays on the hands of a living person for 4–6 hours. Wiping the hands on anything, even putting them in and out of pockets can transfer gunshot residue off the hands.

Also on 5/12, while CS was talking to investigators at APD, an unrelated arrest warrant was served on KA at the residence she was sharing with CS, and she was transported to APD. At this time, she was briefly interviewed about her knowledge of MW's death, shown surveillance of her Jeep near the residence where MW was shot, and KA remained quiet.

When KA's unrelated arrest warrant was determined faulty, she was advised she could leave at any time (since there was no probable cause to neither detain nor search KA for gunshot residue, DNA, etc).

We know it was near the time KA was being interviewed that a search warrant was obtained and executed at the residential address of CS/KA where the guns CS described to detectives were located. It's unknown whether or not clothing was identified and collected during this search.

IMO, I don't think one can cite failing to test either CS/KA for gunshot residue when probable cause had not yet been met as a rookie mistake -- it's the law!

While it's possible gunshot residue tests were later taken from CS and not shared with the public, I don't see the value in testing either subject for gunshot residue more than 24 hours after the incident, if only to deny the defense a negative residue test to glean on to and later use for at least 100 sound bites-- professing their client's innocence. MOO

OP here. I was working with the information provided in your email, above, regarding the 8 pm time of the search warrant and your statement about the search warrant 24 hours after the incident, both timelines from your post bolded by me in the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173