Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 55 feet from shore its also important to factor in what the water depth was on the night she went missing. IMO everything has to be factored in because it will give a clearer picture of what may have happened. So if the car was found in 14 feet of water that night it would have been deeper that would indicate if it was a slow submerge or a fast submerge. I was actually surprised that the car was found upsidedown in 14 feet of water. Now it makes more sense that it was found upsidedown considering the depth, then add 55 feet from shore, even more deeper. So it was probably a slow submerge and at first it would have floated for a few minutes so if she was cognizant then those few minutes she could have survived IMO.
And we will eventually have the highly precise and complex analysis results of the investigation from the various experts of the MAIT.

Compassion for everyone involved, sure. To be fair, when the car wasn't found by what we locally thought were very experienced search and rescue teams, and LE is talking about a potential abduction, foul play did not seem outside the realm.

Now we have a lot more facts. We finally have a coherent story line for how she could have taken a wrong turn and ended up in water. Had she been found within 2 days by AWP, things probably would have played out differently with the speculation.

Foul play still is not ruled out, and the length of time of the recovery may compromise evidence. We can see what they say. If they can pinpoint when her phone went under water, that might help. Did it go under water at 12:33 am? if so, why would she get lost when others were leaving and not getting lost?

In the meantime, we can note contradictions in witness accounts without accusing anyone. Contradictions can arise from all kinds of factors including trauma (as you point out), substances, and the fact that eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable anyway (my cousin Vinny wasn't far off).
One of the things I noticed was AWP saying they needed to be sensitive about speaking of the agencies and officials they were working with, so there is likely a lot more to the story going on in terms of what LEAs were thinking and doing. I do think they were telling the truth in that they had to be open about initial thoughts because they didn't want to potentially miss something, but they never sent out an amber alert because she didn't meet the requirements of being an abduction case in the first place. As the weeks went on without a trace, they likely began to realize she was most likely in the water, hence why they called AWP. I agree, it would have been very different if people hadn't had time to exploit these kids for press as well I honestly think it would give less room for speculation.

I was actually thinking about that! Wondering when the phone went underwater and if it was at 12:33 when everyone else was leaving. If that's the case, then yes it would be absolutely strange that she ended up on one side when everyone else went to the other in line formation. The witnesses were long standing residents of the nearby campsite, so we'd hope they're credible since they didn't experience trauma and potentially were sober. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

The blue tarp is obviously covering where her remains are located in the rear of the vehicle. This is likely because when the car hit the water, she was thrown from her seat and then floated there as the car sank hood first or during recovery.
Agreed. An unrestrained (or passenger who had undone their restraints), would naturally arrive at the back of the car as it nosed over into a vertical position. It is no surprise such a passenger would wind up in the tail of the car. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is primarily a crime discussion forum. Naturally people will theorize about possible crime among other things.

Do NOT tell other members what they should or should not discuss. If you don't like a theory, it's really quite easy to just scroll on by without chastising other members. If there is a violation of the Terms of Service (aka The Rules), Report it but don't start bickering and trying to moderate the discussion or you may experience a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

Thank you.

One of the things I noticed was AWP saying they needed to be sensitive about speaking of the agencies and officials they were working with, so there is likely a lot more to the story going on in terms of what LEAs were thinking and doing. I do think they were telling the truth in that they had to be open about initial thoughts because they didn't want to potentially miss something, but they never sent out an amber alert because she didn't meet the requirements of being an abduction case in the first place. As the weeks went on without a trace, they likely began to realize she was most likely in the water, hence why they called AWP. I agree, it would have been very different if people hadn't had time to exploit these kids for press as well I honestly think it would give less room for speculation.

I was actually thinking about that! Wondering when the phone went underwater and if it was at 12:33 when everyone else was leaving. If that's the case, then yes it would be absolutely strange that she ended up on one side when everyone else went to the other in line formation. The witnesses were long standing residents of the nearby campsite, so we'd hope they're credible since they didn't experience trauma and potentially were sober. I just don't think the eyewitness accounts of 100's of drunk, high, and now traumatized kids is a great basis for theories at the moment. Even contradictions can be attributed to the trauma of the situation effecting their memories, so definitely unreliable unfortunately. I don't think it's right to put the title of murderer on teens that were likely in shock and potentially going through the motions of PTSD without even realizing.
They might have and have probably given valuable dashcam footage if they had any. So perhaps LE will corroborate the footage with what the kids are saying, so its not all lost. I'm sure the kids who do care about what happened that night will give whatever photos they have of the party that show Kiely. Maybe LE can see a trajectory of what happened through that footage. I'm hoping anyways because it takes away the ambiguity.

Taken with a grain of salt, as it is the Daily Mail (Boyfriend of Kiely Rodni says her death '*advertiser censored***** hurts') but this photo is kind of interesting— it indicates an area where police “had searched before” and that Kiely’s car would have been found just outside their search area. Add 5-10’ more water depth (the water was higher) to the car being right in the edge of the searched area (which seems small IMHO), the car being upside down (and therefore invisible) and a picture of how the car could have been missed seems to emerge). Not excusing it—just perhaps explaining.

I have not seen this particular water search area map corroborated by other sources—and it seems unforgivably tiny to me—but it was said in the pressers that AWP were furnished with search area info from LE, so maybe they initiated their searches from the beach instead of the boat (they used soft dinghies instead of the hard bottom LE boats) and that’s how she was discovered.

Photo from the above article is here:
View attachment 361212
That Daily Mail image is not accurate, imo. Her car I believe was found further south, to the left of the “A” in “Alder Creek” on that map.

I feel like someone else has probably already questioned this, but if so I’ve missed any discussions on it.

IF she drove straight in, no matter the speed..I think we all pretty much agree based on well documented videos and information and such..and simple common knowledge..the motor being the heaviest point will very quickly “tip” the nose of the car downward. It seems many of us speculate that is exactly what happened and as it started to “nosedive” perhaps Kiely climbed “up” towards the rear of the car in an attempt to escape. We know the car was upside down. So it went straight in, nose-dived down - tail up, and eventually flipping onto its hood.

The car was turned back over before removing from the water. Obviously this must be done from the side of the car, can’t imagine they “stand” it to flip.. If she drove in, nose down and flipped in that manner..they then tipped from side of car to be right side up again..this doesn’t change the direction the car would be facing.. soo then pulled it out..the car would be facing the other way right? Since as it went nose down and then bottom up, unless they flipped and did a complete 360 underwater (why would they ever do that??), the car should have came out facing the beach - not away from it.

It doesn’t seem like enough depth, “current” or any other conditions that could have made this turn around that much in nature either at the time, or since it’s been in there.

I can’t make any sense out of her rolling it and not finding ANYTHING tracks or debris, anything to indicate that but idk how or where she entered something just seems so off. Moo

I feel like someone else has probably already questioned this, but if so I’ve missed any discussions on it.

IF she drove straight in, no matter the speed..I think we all pretty much agree based on well documented videos and information and such..and simple common knowledge..the motor being the heaviest point will very quickly “tip” the nose of the car downward. It seems many of us speculate that is exactly what happened and as it started to “nosedive” perhaps Kiely climbed “up” towards the rear of the car in an attempt to escape. We know the car was upside down. So it went straight in, nose-dived down - tail up, and eventually flipping onto its hood.

The car was turned back over before removing from the water. Obviously this must be done from the side of the car, can’t imagine they “stand” it to flip.. If she drove in, nose down and flipped in that manner..they then tipped from side of car to be right side up again..this doesn’t change the direction the car would be facing.. soo then pulled it out..the car would be facing the other way right? Since as it went nose down and then bottom up, unless they flipped and did a complete 360 underwater (why would they ever do that??), the car should have came out facing the beach - not away from it.

It doesn’t seem like enough depth, “current” or any other conditions that could have made this turn around that much in nature either at the time, or since it’s been in there.

I can’t make any sense out of her rolling it and not finding ANYTHING tracks or debris, anything to indicate that but idk how or where she entered something just seems so off. Moo
Well, the engine is the heaviest part and therefore the best pivot point. I think you’d actually have an easier time floating up the lighter rear and getting it back on 4 wheels that way, end over end, instead of having to float up the engine turning it sideways.

Last edited:
Taken with a grain of salt, as it is the Daily Mail (Boyfriend of Kiely Rodni says her death '*advertiser censored***** hurts') but this photo is kind of interesting— it indicates an area where police “had searched before” and that Kiely’s car would have been found just outside their search area. Add 5-10’ more water depth (the water was higher) to the car being right in the edge of the searched area (which seems small IMHO), the car being upside down (and therefore invisible) and a picture of how the car could have been missed seems to emerge). Not excusing it—just perhaps explaining.

I have not seen this particular water search area map corroborated by other sources—and it seems unforgivably tiny to me—but it was said in the pressers that AWP were furnished with search area info from LE, so maybe they initiated their searches from the beach instead of the boat (they used soft dinghies instead of the hard bottom LE boats) and that’s how she was discovered.

Photo from the above article is here:
View attachment 361212
There might be an error in the DailyMail map.

This is the aerial footage during car recovery. Notice the roads.

1661236389530.png

1661236939283.png

Well, the engine is the heaviest part and therefore the best pivot point. I think you’d actually have an easier time floating up the lighter rear and getting it back on 4 wheels that way, end over end, instead of having to float up the engine turning it sideways.
But in 14 ft of water? I mean cars aren’t much longer than that if that are they? I don’t see them doing that in 14 ft of water, but obviously I don’t do this at all.. moo

MAIT analyzes this data and more. They are self professed math and physics nerds.

How Black Boxes Work
Event data recorders aren't actually black boxes but tiny microcomputer chip sets. In most vehicles, they're part of the airbag control module, and originally were included to ensure airbags deployed when they were supposed to.

Over the years, as electronics got cheaper, smaller and smarter, event data recorders became capable of doing more than simply monitoring airbags. Automakers realized the devices could be used to provide information about the seriousness of an accident, and if a car was being operated properly when a crash occurred. Based on a separate NHTSA regulation passed in 2012, if a vehicle today does have an event data recorder, it must track 15 specific data points, including speed, steering, braking, acceleration, seatbelt use, and, in the event of a crash, force of impact and whether airbags deployed.

Depending on the automaker and car model, an event data recorder may capture many more functions, though car companies aren't required to disclose exactly what those are.

RIP Kiely, and my heartfelt condolences to her family and friends who may be reading. She is gone too soon due to (IMHO) this tragic accident. How many of us have taken a wrong turn in the dark? I have. May this beautiful young woman be remembered for her vibrant spirit.

Honda CVR owner manual
The EDR (Event Data Recorder) is described in the Owners Manual.

Event Data Recorders
This vehicle is equipped with an event data recorder (EDR).
The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near
crash-like situations, such as an air bag deployment or hitting a
road obstacle, data that will assist in understanding how a vehicle’s
systems performed. The EDR is designed to record data related
to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less. The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as:
• How various systems in your vehicle were operating;
• Whether or not the driver and passenger safety belts were buckled/fastened;
• How far (if at all) the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or brake pedal; and,
• How fast the vehicle was traveling.
These data can help provide a better understanding of the circumstances in which crashes and injuries occur. NOTE: EDR data
are recorded by your vehicle only if a non-trivial crash situation
occurs; no data are recorded by the EDR under normal driving
conditions and no personal data (e.g., name, gender, age, and
crash location) are recorded. However, other parties, such as law
enforcement, could combine the EDR data with the type of
personally identifying data routinely acquired during a crash investigation.
To read data recorded by an EDR, special equipment is required, and access to the vehicle or the EDR is needed. In addition to the
vehicle manufacturer, other parties, such as law enforcement, that have the special equipment, can read the information if they have
access to the vehicle or the EDR.
The data belongs to the vehicle owner and may not be accessed by anyone else except as legally required or with the permission of the
vehicle owner.

Did she accidentally drive this slope into the water, unable to stop the vehicle?

View attachment 361225
I believe authorities said the waterline was considerably higher at the time of the incident (and therefore there would have been a slightly steeper drop off, up a bit closer to the tree line), but I am not positive.

But in theory, and as far as I understand it, her car would indeed have traveled from the campground, somehow across the beach pictured, and into the water.

I don't post often because I have vision difficulties, making it easy to mis-read the rules, so hopefully I'm doing this right. My sincere apologies if I make a mistake.

I have two questions regarding this photo, which, as I understand it, originally was taken by SS. Here's where I got the photo (it's a screen capture from their news video): CBS News Sacramento

weirdlight-edited.JPG

#1 - Is the girl I circled in yellow Kiely? If it is her, then my second question is irrelevant.

#2 - Does anyone know what the object is that I circled in red? Could it be car lights in the distance, pointed away from the party, perhaps reflecting off of ... or even entering ... the water? The reason I ask is because the person in the greenish-looking shirt (to the left of my red circle), looks as though he or she is observing something of concern in that direction. Of course, it's equally possible that someone called his or her name, and they're just in the process of turning around to answer, so it may not be relevant.

Here's the screen capture before I circled anything, for further reference.

weirdlight-unedited.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member