Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm....

Although we DO hav Elsa stating she saw Kiely at the party around midnight, remember? So perhaps Kiely did not leave while it was light, but a few things seem like a very tight timeline.

August 6, 12 a.m. - Elsa Pekarek who was at the party saw Kiely around 12 a.m.

Based on my "facts" post above (post #145), I do not believe that Kiely was at the party at 12:36 am as one witness recounted. Inside the Search for Missing Teen Kiely Rodni — and Why Other Cases Don’t Get the Same Attention

It's not consistent with the last ping being at water's edge at 12:33 am.

Based on the comments made by the creator of the FB video posted in #145 and my own drive out to the area, I do not believe Kiely wouldn't have known she was by the water.

If Elsa's account of seeing Kiely at the party site at midnight is accurate, I infer from the facts that Kiely and her car left the party site sometime after midnight but by no later than 12:27 am. However, she may not have been alone and may not have been driving.

NOTE: These are just my personal inferences from everything that is known / reported. There could be other facts we don't know yet that would disprove these inferences.

Last edited:
Another thing: It would have been dark when the party started, right?

Mags rode to the party with Kiely and they arrived around 10 pm, right?

I would need to go back and find a source, but I think I remember the party itself began around 9 pm? It might not have been "pitch black" at 9pm, but this time of the year, it would have been dark? What time was it when Christine, the woman with the Jeep did her drive?

I would need to go back and find a source, but I think I remember the party itself began around 9 pm? It might not have been "pitch black" at 9pm, but this time of the year, it would have been dark? What time was it when Christine, the woman with the Jeep did her drive?
Folks in the neighboring campground reported cars arriving at 9:30 and heading that way. Yes to dark or almost dark. Excellent point that one may not have even appreciated how close the water was to the party area, since they may not have even walked to the water at all on the night of the party.

So an exit on what looked like a poorly maintained road, but what was actually more like a trail that headed straight for water, seems possible.

Just to be clear, LE have released absolutely no information stating where Kiely's car was parked at any time on the night of her disappearance, while at the party, what time she left, any path or road she may have taken to get from where it was parked to the water, or how it ended up where it did. It seems if they had known from where it went into the water, it might not have taken two weeks to find it. JMO
I agree, until LE releases more info our timeline is sketchy at best. jmo

I agree, until LE releases more info our timeline is sketchy at best. jmo
I'm hoping the CHP's traffic fatality report sheds some light on the details of how Kiely's car ended up in that reservoir and when. I don't think I've ever read one of their reports (if they are even released to the public) so I don't know how detailed they are. Hopefully, the report will be of value to the national park or public safety or whoever is in charge of the signage and safety of those roads around there so they can put measures in place to prevent this happening again.

RIP, Kiely.

I'm hoping the CHP's traffic fatality report sheds some light on the details of how Kiely's car ended up in that reservoir and when. I don't think I've ever read one of their reports (if they are even released to the public) so I don't know how detailed they are. Hopefully, the report will be of value to the national park or public safety or whoever is in charge of the signage and safety of those roads around there so they can put measures in place to prevent this happening again.

RIP, Kiely.
I haven't read one of their reports either. It'll be interesting to see what AWP reveals when they upload their recovery video as well.

Just to be clear, LE have released absolutely no information stating where Kiely's car was parked at any time on the night of her disappearance, while at the party, what time she left, any path or road she may have taken to get from where it was parked to the water, or how it ended up where it did. It seems if they had known from where it went into the water, it might not have taken two weeks to find it. JMO
Right, what LE (as opposed to a PI via the NYPost) has actually said about the last ping is that "The ping for the data points was near the water. It's hard to tell an exact pinpoint."

Which makes sense. The location derived from cell tower pings (as opposed to GPS) is usually quite imprecise. "By using cell tower triangulation (3 towers), it is possible to determine a phone location to within an area of about ¾ square mile." If you're only within range of one tower (quite possible in this case) the location would be even more imprecise. I'd guess that the 'location' of the ping is big enough to encompass the party and the part of the lake where Kiely was found.

If they found her phone and manage to recover gps data from it, then that might be more helpful in tracing her last movements IMO.

Right, what LE (as opposed to a PI via the NYPost) has actually said about the last ping is that "The ping for the data points was near the water. It's hard to tell an exact pinpoint."

Which makes sense. The location derived from cell tower pings (as opposed to GPS) is usually quite imprecise. "By using cell tower triangulation (3 towers), it is possible to determine a phone location to within an area of about ¾ square mile." If you're only within range of one tower (quite possible in this case) the location would be even more imprecise. I'd guess that the 'location' of the ping is big enough to encompass the party and the part of the lake where Kiely was found.

If they found her phone and manage to recover gps data from it, then that might be more helpful in tracing her last movements IMO.
<modsnip>

We don't have the points where the other pings from her phone were located. If they pinged right at water's edge all night long even when she was verified to be at the "party site," that would disprove my inferences.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not right and I don't think it's Luchetti's place to speak for AWP. I recall the 2020 recovery for Ethan Kazmerzak, missing since 2013 where the fund organizer/coordinator since 2013 thought they could send AWP home empty-handed:

He wants to reinvest the money in his business and use it to help other grieving families, Leisek said.

“We never (pursued) Ethan’s case because there was a reward tied to it,” Leisek said. “(But) if you take away this reward, you have ruined the integrity of what rewards are there for.

"So we just ask a God-loving county of donors do what’s right in their hearts.”

I recall an expert on reward law agreeing with AWP's Leisek that if you offer large sums and no one else is able to recover the missing, it's reasonable to expect to be paid voluntarily, and not because they are obligated to under the law. He was also critical of large rewards for just this reason. AWP would have still performed if the reward was $1,000. It's about upholding the integrity of what awards rewards are there for. MOO

not sure if reward money is escrowed but it should be. We found out in Depp vs, Heard
a pledge is not a donation. In KRs case, it was a quick find. Being able to have that kind of closure is priceless. And they did the work, sometimes rewards are offered just for information leading to discovery.

One doesn’t need to drive in pitch dark to see poorly, especially with certain alcohol on board. This article studies the effect of alcohol on the rods and cones of non-alcoholic social drinkers in mesopic (low-light) vision, specifically in the context of most accidents occurring at night and dawn. Alcohol appears to affect rod-mediated pathways (responsible for nocturnal vision) more than cone-mediated ones. This effect is significant enough even in social drinkers.

To add, several days ago I parked my car in a non-typical spot and driving back at night, fully sober, narrowly avoided the boardwalk barrier. It made me think of the fact that objects closer to the ground are poorly visible at night, and it includes water. In short, if that part of the road leading to the boat ramp was not well-known for Kiely, accident could have happened with her being totally sober, too.

Based on my "facts" post above (post #145), I do not believe that Kiely was at the party at 12:36 am as one witness recounted. Inside the Search for Missing Teen Kiely Rodni — and Why Other Cases Don’t Get the Same Attention

It's not consistent with the last ping being at water's edge at 12:33 am.

Based on the comments made by the creator of the FB video posted in #145 and my own drive out to the area, I do not believe Kiely wouldn't have known she was by the water.

If Elsa's account of seeing Kiely at the party site at midnight is accurate, I infer from the facts that Kiely and her car left the party site sometime after midnight but by no later than 12:27 am. However, she may not have been alone and may not have been driving.

NOTE: These are just my personal inferences from everything that is known / reported. There could be other facts we don't know yet that would disprove these inferences.
Not sure if anyone could say the last ping was at the waters edge.

She supposedly called her friend SS at 12.26, but there is no evidence that she was not there at the party site..

In fact, there is evidence that she was there, her car was found there with her in it, deceased.. Sure, she could have been at an after party and then was driven back deceased in her car and then pushed into the reservoir, except there is also no evidence she or any of her friends were at an after party!

IMO the younger crowd started leaving the party because the older crowd showed up and probably wanted them to leave, afterall, the younger ones were there in violation of curfew!

Edited this right here to add that I know in my state, if you are of legal age and you are partying with minors, you get the extra charge of contributing to the deliquency of minors if for some other reason party is raided.. IOW, the minor get a ticket and summons. Even if someone of legal age is not with the minor they will get this contributing charge. Years ago, a friend was of age and at a mixed aged party, everyone was young but he was 22 and there were minors. He got a separate contributing charge for each minor. So all kinds of reasons for not coming forward, and also a good reason to tell the younger kids to beat it..

There is also no evidence that she was not driving or that she was not alone.

Theorizing it was a terrible accident is based on 2 things we absolutely know.
1. she was found deceased in her car submerged in a lake
2. She was alone when found

Everything else is pure speculation. Thinking something does not make it so.
MOO and only because innocent reputations cannot be repaired once the damage is done.

Last edited:
That's a broad brush ... I did some pretty dumb things as a teen, thank God no one lost their life.

IMO, the sad takeaway/awareness - these kids will be more aware of watching out for each other and if partying, will stay put or have a DD, which evidently they did. The details of why Kiely got in her car and drove away aren't clear. But I am leaning towards this being a tragic accident. The details when made public, will be a sobering moment and likely something the teens will remember well into their adulthood.
That was my take as well. These kids were acting like....kids. No one ever goes to a party thinking that they aren't going to make it home.

One doesn’t need to drive in pitch dark to see poorly, especially with certain alcohol on board. This article studies the effect of alcohol on the rods and cones of non-alcoholic social drinkers in mesopic (low-light) vision, specifically in the context of most accidents occurring at night and dawn. Alcohol appears to affect rod-mediated pathways (responsible for nocturnal vision) more than cone-mediated ones. This effect is significant enough even in social drinkers.

To add, several days ago I parked my car in a non-typical spot and driving back at night, fully sober, narrowly avoided the boardwalk barrier. It made me think of the fact that objects closer to the ground are poorly visible at night, and it includes water. In short, if that part of the road leading to the boat ramp was not well-known for Kiely, accident could have happened with her being totally sober, too.
It was not a boat ramp. It is a dirt beach.

I'm curious if you've watched the FB video we noted earlier in the thread, the one approved by the mods?
Not sure if anyone could say the last ping was at the waters edge.

She supposedly called her friend SS at 12.26, but there is absolutely no evidence that she was not there at the party site..

In fact, there is evidence that she was there, her car was found there with her in it, deceased.. Sure, she could have been at an after party and then was driven back deceased in her car and then pushed into the reservoir, except there is also no evidence she or any of her friends were at an after party!

IMO the younger crowd started leaving the party because the older crowd showed up and probably wanted them to leave, afterall, the younger ones were there in violation of curfew!

There is also no evidence that she was not driving or that she was not alone.

Inference is a very good word to describe a theory that is based on little or no evidence.

Theorizing it was a terrible accident is based on 2 things we absolutely know.
1. she was found deceased in her car submerged in a lake
2. She was alone when found

Everything else is pure speculation. Thinking something does not make it so.
MOO and only because innocent reputations cannot be repaired once the damage is done.
Her car was not found at the party site. Have you watched the mod-approved FB video and examined the maps we all worked on over the past week to get clear on where the party was versus where she was found? <modsnip - no link for info posted as fact>

The call to her friend was said to be at 12:36 am not 12:26 am. I posted the citation to MSM article in the earlier post.

It was not a boat ramp. It is a dirt beach.

I'm curious if you've watched the FB video we noted earlier in the thread, the one approved by the mods?

Her car was not found at the party site. Have you watched the mod-approved FB video and examined the maps we all worked on over the past week to get clear on where the party was versus where she was found? <modsnip>

The call to her friend was said to be at 12:36 am not 12:26 am. I posted the citation to MSM article in the earlier post.
Thanks for the video, I haven't watched it yet. <modsnip>

ITA. I think we should be careful about accepting, as fact, something a PI, who I don't know if was even working in any official capacity, says, if it has not been confirmed by, or worse, contradicts something LE has said. JMO

ITA. I think we should be careful about accepting, as fact, something a PI, who I don't know if was even working in any official capacity, says, if it has not been confirmed by, or worse, contradicts something LE has said. JMO
This is the article that says the last ping was 50 feet from where she was found:

These are additional statements reported to come from LE:

"The ping for the data points was near the water. It's hard to tell an exact pinpoint," Brown said. "Just as much on land as it was on water." Law enforcement detail last known pings of Kiely Rodni's phone

"Detective Sgt. Scott Alford of the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said in Tuesday’s news briefing, held at the Truckee-Donner Recreation and Park District center and live-streamed online, that the last signal from Kiely’s phone came at 12:33 a.m. Saturday." https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article264329901.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

"The ping for the data points was near the water. It's hard to tell an exact pinpoint," Brown said. "Just as much on land as it was on water." Law enforcement detail last known pings of Kiely Rodni's phone

"Detective Sgt. Scott Alford of the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said in Tuesday’s news briefing, held at the Truckee-Donner Recreation and Park District center and live-streamed online, that the last signal from Kiely’s phone came at 12:33 a.m. Saturday." https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article264329901.html#storylink=cpy
This doesn't say it was 50 feet from her car. "The ping for the data points was near the water. It's hard to tell an exact pinpoint," Brown said. "Just as much on land as it was on water." That could have been near any bank of the reservoir according to that. Her car was also 65 feet offshore when found. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aussie Aussie