Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #8 *Arrest*

My notes from article.

Orange County Superior Court Judge Kimberly Menninger temporarily suspended criminal proceedings against Woodward after Woodward’s defense attorney said she has concerns about whether he is competent to stand trial. Two mental health experts — one chosen by the defense, the other by the prosecution — will be assigned by Judge Menninger to evaluate Woodward & help determine whether he is capable of understanding the court proceedings & able to assist with his own defense.Woodward’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender Alison Worthington, did not specify during the public hearing on Friday morning why she believed Woodward was not competent to stand trial. Woodward is scheduled to return to court for a hearing regarding his mental health on 9/1/22. If a judge determines he is competent to stand trial the criminal case would resume. If he is found not competent, a judge could order him sent to a state hospital for treatment.

Last edited:
My notes from article.

Orange County Superior Court Judge Kimberly Menninger temporarily suspended criminal proceedings against Woodward after Woodward’s defense attorney said she has concerns about whether he is competent to stand trial. Two mental health experts — one chosen by the defense, the other by the prosecution — will be assigned by Judge Menninger to evaluate Woodward & help determine whether he is capable of understanding the court proceedings & able to assist with his own defense.Woodward’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender Alison Worthington, did not specify during the public hearing on Friday morning why she believed Woodward was not competent to stand trial. Woodward is scheduled to return to court for a hearing regarding his mental health on 9/1/22. If a judge determines he is competent to stand trial the criminal case would resume. If he is found not competent, a judge could order him sent to a state hospital for treatment.

From the Orange County Court portal: Next Hearing…

09/01/202209:00 AMMental Health Competency [Penal Code 1368]C60

Thursday, Sept. 1st:
*Status Hearing (re Competency) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Blaze Bernstein (19) (Jan. 2, 2018, Lake Forest; found Jan. 9, 2018; he was stabbed 19 times in his neck; 14 times on the left, 5 on the right & 1 stab wound in his left knee) – *Samuel Lincoln Woodward (20/now 24) arrested & charged (1/17/18) & arraigned (11/9/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife. Plead not guilty (again on 11/9/18). $5M bail, bail revoked (11/9/18).
Could be sentenced from 26 years to life in prison without parole.
Trial was set to begin on 7/15/22 with jury selection was vacated for competency evaluation. No further dates.

Court hearings from 2/2/18 thru 7/8/22 reference post #38 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...lake-forest-2-jan-2018-8-arrest.618349/page-2

7/15/22 Update: Orange County Superior Court Judge Kimberly Menninger temporarily suspended criminal proceedings against Woodward after Woodward’s defense attorney said she has concerns about whether he is competent to stand trial. Two mental health experts — one chosen by the defense, the other by the prosecution — will be assigned by Judge Menninger to evaluate Woodward & help determine whether he is capable of understanding the court proceedings & able to assist with his own defense. Woodward’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender Alison Worthington, did not specify during the public hearing on Friday morning why she believed Woodward was not competent to stand trial. Woodward is scheduled to return to court for a hearing regarding his mental health competency on 9/1/22. If a judge determines he is competent to stand trial the criminal case would resume. If he is found not competent, a judge could order him sent to a state hospital for treatment.

Just curious...this case is nearly 5 years old...for those of you still around, why do you continue to follow?

Just curious...this case is nearly 5 years old...for those of you still around, why do you continue to follow?

I follow many cases right through the trial to hopefully see justice for the victim and maybe get some answers along the way (namely WHY).

It's the same reason I don't turn off Dateline only halfway through the program!

I think you should all know I was not being disrespectful but was only wondering why everyone kept following this case as there are only a few of us here now.

It’ll come to trial at some point, and we’ll want to know what happens then. As far as I know, WS doesn’t limit the number of thread follows we can have.

I follow many cases right through the trial to hopefully see justice for the victim and maybe get some answers along the way (namely WHY).

It's the same reason I don't turn off Dateline only halfway through the program!

Same reason as Jash, except I don't get Dateline anymore...

I have sons around the age Blaze was and he reminded me so Much of them. I am a just lurker but I want to see justice served in this case. I have this thread as one I watch for any updates.

I continue because Blazes future was so promising! He was very bright and creative, he would have gone on to do great things. His personality was loving and infectious.

I also like his family, they are lovely and have already raised awareness through a foundation in Blaze’s name. They chose not to be bitter.

I continue because Blazes future was so promising! He was very bright and creative, he would have gone on to do great things. His personality was loving and infectious.

I also like his family, they are lovely and have already raised awareness through a foundation in Blaze’s name. They chose not to be bitter.

Oh Blaze, I still think about him all the time even though I never met him. His story brings me great sadness, especially when I think of him as a young gay man and feel a connection to him. (If you're gay you know what I'm talking about.) I visited his resting place and left him flowers. I became emotional and began to cry as I drove away. I think it was because I--along with the world--would move along with my day, but for Blaze, everything suddenly ended...just a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday, October 21st:
*PC1368 Mental Health Competency Hearing (@ 9am PT) – CA – Blaze Bernstein (19) (Jan. 2, 2018, Lake Forest; found Jan. 9, 2018; he was stabbed 19 times in his neck; 14 times on the left, 5 on the right & 1 stab wound in his left knee) – *Samuel Lincoln Woodward (20/now 24) arrested & charged (1/17/18) & arraigned (11/9/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife. Plead not guilty (again on 11/9/18). $5M bail, bail revoked (11/9/18).
Could be sentenced from 26 years to life in prison without parole.
Trial was set to begin on 7/15/22 with jury selection was vacated for competency evaluation. No further dates.

Court hearings from 2/2/18 thru 7/8/22 reference post #38 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...lake-forest-2-jan-2018-8-arrest.618349/page-2

7/15/22 Update: Orange County Superior Court Judge Kimberly Menninger temporarily suspended criminal proceedings against Woodward after Woodward’s defense attorney said she has concerns about whether he is competent to stand trial. Two mental health experts — one chosen by the defense, the other by the prosecution — will be assigned by Judge Menninger to evaluate Woodward & help determine whether he is capable of understanding the court proceedings & able to assist with his own defense. Woodward’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender Alison Worthington, did not specify during the public hearing on Friday morning why she believed Woodward was not competent to stand trial. Woodward is scheduled to return to court for a hearing regarding his mental health competency on 9/1/22. If a judge determines he is competent to stand trial the criminal case would resume. If he is found not competent, a judge could order him sent to a state hospital for treatment.
9/1/22 Update: PC1368 Mental Health Competency hearing on 10/21/22.

TLDR: Competent to stand trial. A pretrial hearing was set for Jan. 27. A date for the jury trial has not yet been scheduled.

Wow, we really arrived to the half a decade mark with this incompetent court. If this is finally the last postponement I'm almost certain we're not gonna see the end of this until nearing 2024.The only question now is if he's going to get a life sentence. He really should be getting a death sentence, but apparently you can be murdered IN CALIFORNIA--that's right CALIFORNIA-- for being gay and the maximum your killer could get is a life sentence because sexual orientation isn't a protected class under that law. Can we get a petition going? He's already locked up can they just throw away the key now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back