Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
But ... they said kids/adults in the party were doing god knows what drugs, mushrooms, etc. I think many here are thinking inebriation of the type of "a few beers" where one can still drive and recognize roads they've drive on before in the dark. What if she asked for a curfew extension and thought heck, I'll just do this "shroom" and it made her hallucinate. Ever ingested anything like that? You see things that aren't there. You see tiny things that look like monsters. You feel invincible. People have jumped off roofs under that kind of influence thinking they could fly. Of course we have NO idea if this is what happened, but in my mind it could account for someone aiming a car down a road and then boom, they're in the water because what we think would be a drunken state is a million times beyond that. Maybe she did "one more Truly for the road" and it was laced. We just don't know.

I haven't personally, and I do think it is a good point that someone may have slipped her something. This is something I've wondered too.

The closest experience I have is babysitting friends who were tripping. They thought wallpaper with blue flowers was blueberries, wanted to lick it, stuff like that. Not my thing at all as a young person, but I did drive a couple of them safely home from a party. They were ridiculous. They could barely put one foot in front of the other, I don't think they would have known what car keys even were. They probably would have sat there jangling them or something.

Do you think Kiely could have been hallucinating like you've described and still navigated that rutted narrow road, with the turns, and driven herself down to the water? (I don't know anything about mushrooms, so I'm asking what that is like?)

There was no damage to the mirror, axel, or tire as far as we know. The mirror was broken during LE extracting the car, and there is no evidence for any wheel damage. There is also no evidence of collisions with solid objects, although admittedly shrubs might not have left damage while still being upsetting to someone who feels the hits and might be imagining big damage.

I still like my window theory. If the front passenger window was NOT open/broken before the car entered the water, that left the back window (rear left-side window that was half open) the only open exit. As the car tilted downward, the front was the first part of the car under water and pressure made the front doors and windows impossible to open. After frantically trying them, she climbed into the backseat to access the only open window. Either the rushing water prevented escape, or the car rolled over at that time, and then it was simply too late and impossible to escape. Since we don't know when the front passenger window came to be broken, I think that it's possible it was broken after the car hit the bottom, although the lack of visible glass is an issue with that theory. Cars apparently tend to roll to the right because the engine is off-center, so hitting hard on the passenger window side seems logical. Maybe the car skidded away from the location of the glass that was left from that impact. Or maybe the diver didn't see it in the silt, after two weeks, if it wasn't directly next to the window. Maybe it was even hidden underneath the roof of the car, depending on how it crumbled and what the car's angle was at the time.
your theory is similar to mine once car is in water. Not much leeway really if she were conscious. I think the challenge was, to actually BE a drunk teenager...how did you get there to begin with, given what we think we know sort of thing.

Reactions: IDK
Right, Mags left after only 10 minutes or so because of the pushy guys who were in her face with the bongs? So unless Kiely was already inebriated when she dropped Mags off at 10 pm, how WOULD she have known?

It has to be a case of word getting around, right?!??
IIRC, mags met her BF there and left right away, not because of the bongers. She was just annoyed with the bongers.

I haven't personally, and I do think it is a good point that someone may have slipped her something. This is something I've wondered too.

The closest experience I have is babysitting friends who were tripping. They thought wallpaper with blue flowers was blueberries, wanted to lick it, stuff like that. Not my thing at all as a young person, but I did drive a couple of them safely home from a party. They were ridiculous. They could barely put one foot in front of the other, I don't think they would have known what car keys even were. They probably would have sat there jangling them or something.

Do you think Kiely could have been hallucinating like you've described and still navigated that rutted narrow road, with the turns, and driven herself down to the water? (I don't know anything about mushrooms, so I'm asking what that is like?)
I think we don’t know where she was before she went into the water. Or what route she took. If she was even driving.

Maybe she navigated the road and became more incapacitated as she approached the water. Maybe that wasn’t the route she took. Perhaps she had been parked at the water and no one will admit that, and she revved it in drive instead of reverse. Or she drove parallel to the water taking that southerly route on the beach and hit that spot where they pulled her out and didn’t realize she’d need to turn a hard left to get away from the water because if you’re close to the water there, the beach area is at a peak and doesn’t continue straight. Hope this makes sense without a map.

I am just not sold on her taking the route she’d have to take logically to get into the water Without more info. Maybe she did, and navigated the bumps ok, but didn’t anticipate water ahead as she was stoned enough to control the car but not thinking she’d be immersed in water in 30 seconds.

yes she certainly could have. Once on mushrooms I drove around the same 4 blocks and stopped for directions at the same store for 2 hours! One of the guys finally said, hey I know where you live, just follow my car. My dad took the car away for 2 weeks because he said I was lying about being lost. Also shrooms can sometimes be more hallucinagenic than LSD, say she took a wrong turn towards the water, it could look like a flashing, shining pathway to a bridge that would go over the water kind of thing. But! iirc we have no inkling she took hallucinagenics from witness statements

I think we don’t know where she was before she went into the water. Or what route she took. If she was even driving.

Maybe she navigated the road and became more incapacitated as she approached the water. Maybe that wasn’t the route she took. Perhaps she had been parked at the water and no one will admit that, and she revved it in drive instead of reverse. Or she drove parallel to the water taking that southerly route on the beach and hit that spot where they pulled her out and didn’t realize she’d need to turn a hard left to get away from the water because if you’re close to the water there, the beach area is at a peak and doesn’t continue straight. Hope this makes sense without a map.

I am just not sold on her taking the route she’d have to take logically to get into the water Without more info. Maybe she did, and navigated the bumps ok, but didn’t anticipate water ahead as she was stoned enough to control the car but not thinking she’d be immersed in water in 30 seconds.
Right, I agree there is a lot we do not know.

I think personally some kind of "after party" or something down at/near the water happening seems possible. And maybe this is what partygoers do not want to talk about?

I'm curious as to how you get 100's of party goers to stay silent? Really weird....and frankly, creepy.

Amateur opinion and speculation
One reason for them to keep silent would be if they didn't see anything. Thinking about all of the accidents that happen where the victim isn't found for anywhere from days to decades, the reason they aren't found is because no one saw the accident happen. In my opinion, I find it reasonable to believe that people aren't coming forward because other than seeing Kiely at the party, they didn't see the accident as it happened.

MOO.

Did Kiely accidentally drive her car into the reservoir, was she the victim of blatant foul play, or did she die from another cause which perhaps led to a cover-up?

None of us can answer this with any certainty. I lean to one or another scenario, depending on what aspect of the case wanders into my mind.

Today, I ponder on what prompted SS to reference Golding’s novel Lord of the Flies when she spoke of the party.

William Golding's 1954 novel "Lord of the Flies" tells the story of a group of young boys who find themselves alone on a deserted island. They develop rules and a system of organization, but without any adults to serve as a civilizing impulse, the children eventually become violent and brutal. In the context of the novel, the tale of the boys' descent into chaos suggests that human nature is fundamentally savage.
Lord of the Flies: Plot Summary

IIRC – and please correct me if I’m wrong, Simon was murdered by the group of boys.

Piggy couldn’t confront his role in Simon’s death, thus he maintained the death was an accident.

Piggy was killed when another boy rolled a rock which pushed Piggy over the cliff. His body was washed out to sea.

'I think a lot of them were scared to talk,' Smith said. 'They were engaging in illegal activity in the woods, it's like this Lord of the Flies space where they can just be.’
Kiely Rodni disappeared from party that was 'full of illegal activity'

Was mention of Lord of the Flies an off-the-cuff remark made by SS, or a planned statement?

If the former, was SS simply wanting to present as erudite, or was her intention to portray something nefarious had occurred at the party?

If it was an off-the-cuff statement, IMO, such spontaneous, unguarded speech rises from the unconscious, and it is therefore often an indication of our true thoughts, feelings, ideas or beliefs.
a bit off topic, but one has to compare the rigid and supressed upbringing in the era Lord of The Flies was written with the permissive upbringing of the truckeeites now. Yet, in the novel and in Truckee, they are both products of their parents. Not a single student or teacher during my era ever brought up that the Lord of the Flies gang were a product of their parents, that was unheard of then in child psychology.
yet in Samis era, in this case, some people are blaming the parents. So its Lord of the Flies EVEN when parents are letting them run wild, and EVEN when their home is just a cozy few miles away, Sami is saying, just saying.

a bit off topic, but one has to compare the rigid and supressed upbringing in the era Lord of The Flies was written with the permissive upbringing of the truckeeites now. Yet, in the novel and in Truckee, they are both products of their parents. Not a single student or teacher during my era ever brought up that the Lord of the Flies gang were a product of their parents, that was unheard of then in child psychology.
yet in Samis era, in this case, some people are blaming the parents. So its Lord of the Flies EVEN when parents are letting them run wild, and EVEN when their home is just a cozy few miles away, Sami is saying, just saying.
A strict ordinance went into effect in Truckee a few years ago to curb in home kids gone wild parties. Maybe maybe that is part of this although it’s been said the Sanctuary is a long time gathering spot.

A strict ordinance went into effect in Truckee a few years ago to curb in home kids gone wild parties. Maybe maybe that is part of this although it’s been said the Sanctuary is a long time gathering spot.
Just the name the Sanctuary gives me the heebie jeebies, Waters Edge comes to mind, hauntingly so.

Could Kiely have been concussed? Fight club event at 12? Sucker punched?
I’ve never understood how or why she would become so wasted or inebriated right after messaging with her Mom, arranging a 12:15 departure time. Of course she could have been dosed or done a dose of Salvia which will knock you for a 30 minute loop, but I can’t discount the possibility of participating or being injured in the Fight event. Wonder what the prize really was? Cash would be a motivator. A case of Truly?
Her apparently inebriated state, “not in the right mind to drive” and forgetfullness as described by SS could be accounted for from a head injury.

No, if she were hallucinating I don’t think she drove herself down to the water.
After re-reading earlier articles and listening to SS interview again, the early picture painted of Kiely is that she was too inebriated to drive. (I’ll assume this is because of a mixture of drugs/alcohol.) SS didn’t want to get into Kiely’s car for a ride home! An early article also mentioned Kiely being wise enough not to drive drunk on a previous occasion - So why would this night be any different?
Did she ask someone at the party to drive her home (or to the next party) in her car?

The problem with this train of thought: Why would she drive herself to the party, knowing that she wanted to get “f’d up” if she was in the habit of not driving while intoxicated? Could she handle her alcohol but it was the other substances that put her over the edge?

One reason for them to keep silent would be if they didn't see anything. Thinking about all of the accidents that happen where the victim isn't found for anywhere from days to decades, the reason they aren't found is because no one saw the accident happen. In my opinion, I find it reasonable to believe that people aren't coming forward because other than seeing Kiely at the party, they didn't see the accident as it happened.

MOO.
Nope. Not buying that. At all.
Just my opinion.

Amateur opinion and speculation

The curfew extension is kind of murky to me as well? Her mom says Kiely's curfew was typically 11:30. She says Kiely often asked for an hour's extension, to be home by 12:30, which they granted. Ok, makes sense.

Then we have this:

The mother and daughter stayed in contact throughout the day and last spoke at around 11.30pm that night when Kiely texted to say she would be setting off on the 25-30 minute drive home from the party.

“She said she’d be leaving at 12.15 and was going to start heading home,” said Ms Rodni-Nieman

I know we have discussed this previously, but WHY did Kiely text her mom so far in advance of when she ACTUALLY left the party?

Stay with me...

Kiely got to the party around 10pm ish with Mags.
At 11:30, so when she is already supposed to be home, that's when she asks for the curfew extension?

Ok, so I can see her mom approving that, based on their earlier history of trust. BUT if the general agreement was to extend the curfew to 12:30, and we know it takes half an hour to drive home, and she is leaving at 12:15, this is another timeline that doesn't make any sense.

At 12:36, she's still at the party location, roughly according to phone calls....

So, she would have been home at 1am, at the absolute earliest, had she made it?

Why call SS but not a a text to her mom around 12:30 and say "Ok mom, heading out now, see you soon."

And WHY was her phone location for whatever her family used to keep tabs not ON after 12:03 am?

Thank you for bringing this up, it has always bothered me. KR had her curfew extended until 12:30, so would have needed to leave by approx 12:00 midnight to meet curfew, IIRC. But her mom knew she wasn’t leaving until 12:15 and would be home closer to 12:45? So her mom was cool with her going past the already extended curfew? Which KR had always been so reliable, I’m sure it seemed reasonable to her mom, I guess?

Yikes and reading that her phone location app was turned off at 12:03 is seriously creepy, considering the outcome of the evening. Who turned that off, KR or ????

In my early days I had a friend that I went out with in our local town. We knew all the local hangouts, where our friends would be and where the cool places were. My friend had a older brother who was a weight lifter and so people didn't mess with us. Now, I traveled some when I was younger and my gf would go with me on trips. When it came to the big cities like Washington DC, NYC or Dallas, Tx., etc. we had a understanding. We did not become distant from one another. No cells in those days. However on one of our trips into the big city, we went to a club, (In those days quite common), she met some guy, ended up leaving the parking lot in his car to a motel. I won't go into detail what she went through but it was hell and we didn't know where she was or what had happened. She got away from him and his friends, who were all low life scum bags with drugs and guns everywhere. To make a long story short DON"T BECOME SEPERATED from your friends. There are predators out there just looking for people to take advantage of. This was many years ago and things are even worse now.
shout that from the rooftops! Life as we know it now says it is not safe to be out alone after dark. Sure, it could be safe, like playing russian roulette is safe and just about 6 to 1 odds as well..

the last part BBM. You make a great point! Without referencing any maps, just wanted to bring up again an article from a local saying people backed their cars up to the water all the time, and that these spots were accessible using fire roads, etc. So she could have accessed a fire road down the way a bit, made a wrong turn, found it led to the beach decided to drive down the beach to turn around. iirc someone was saying that way way back in the threads, maybe you! lol

Thank you for bringing this up, it has always bothered me. KR had her curfew extended until 12:30, so would have needed to leave by approx 12:00 midnight to meet curfew, IIRC. But her mom knew she wasn’t leaving until 12:15 and would be home closer to 12:45? So her mom was cool with her going past the already extended curfew? Which KR had always been so reliable, I’m sure it seemed reasonable to her mom, I guess?

Yikes and reading that her phone location app was turned off at 12:03 is seriously creepy, considering the outcome of the evening. Who turned that off, KR or ????

It's strange?

From my understanding now, off with those apps means OFF.

So her mom must have been really tired from the day and fallen right asleep after the 11:30 text? She mentioned in the article from the Independent that she first thought maybe her husband had stayed up to see Kiely in.

re:

“I fell asleep. I asked her to wake me when she got home… but I didn’t notice until 8am the next morning.

“When I woke up and noticed she hadn’t woken me I first thought maybe my husband was still awake when she got back and so she didn’t wake me.

So......was he also asleep? Did he know Kiely was still out? Maybe he was tired from the car show and everything and fell asleep when she did, etc.

Who else was on sharing locations? Any of her close friends?

I'm just thinking this all through.

She was "in no state to drive....so messed up, etc." yet no one checked on her? Even if you thought she was staying at the campground, even if they ALL considered the place the "neighborhood backyard", not even the most cursory of texts,a good night, you need anything, you good?

I'm with roses. I don't buy it either.

There are definitely missing bits here, at minimum.

Or they're quiet because it was a party for the town?

This stuck in my head:

The campsite has been a regular haunt for local teenagers going back decades.....

We already knew this, but I'm wondering how common is it for otherwise respectable adults to crash the party? Maybe that's the real reason for the silence, and even for the "exodus", not just concerns over young people and their upcoming college careers?

Who has more to lose, an 18, 19 year-old kid caught with some drugs at a party or professional people 20, 25 + years older at the same party after someone goes missing?

Maybe it wasn't "sketchy older guys" from San Francisco, etc. with the hard stuff? Maybe it was Joe Truckee who does XYZ in town and is So and So's cousin, Auntie, whatever?

Just a thought, since there does seem to be a pretty deeply entrenched party culture there.

No, if she were hallucinating I don’t think she drove herself down to the water.
After re-reading earlier articles and listening to SS interview again, the early picture painted of Kiely is that she was too inebriated to drive. (I’ll assume this is because of a mixture of drugs/alcohol.) SS didn’t want to get into Kiely’s car for a ride home! An early article also mentioned Kiely being wise enough not to drive drunk on a previous occasion - So why would this night be any different?
Did she ask someone at the party to drive her home (or to the next party) in her car?

The problem with this train of thought: Why would she drive herself to the party, knowing that she wanted to get “f’d up” if she was in the habit of not driving while intoxicated? Could she handle her alcohol but it was the other substances that put her over the edge?
We have a lot of conflicting info and comments to decipher, that’s for sure. And who knows the validity of any of them.

it is very strange that we’ve heard she was smart and wouldn’t drive while intoxicated, but then she said she was the DD per Sami, and then she said she wanted to get wasted. Again, per Sami. A lot of what we have to go by here is PER SAMI. Hmmmmmm…

if she was hallucinating, she could have seen water as an airplane runway, ready to take her plane off into the sky. Hallucinating means you don’t see reality.

I wish we had more commentary from friends other than the one spokesperson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geneasearcher