Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
AND to continue your point, how could she panic in water with the window down when she LOVES water and is used to being in and around it? Just doesn't seem she would not be able to get out of the vehicle, and rather scrambles to the back in a panic when the water comes pouring in??

It's odd.

On one hand, I have watched enough of the "car filling with water" videos to grasp how that would be frightening.

But yes, we've heard how she loved water, how outdoorsy she was, the lifestyle in Truckee, and so on.

I'm not saying it is impossible she drove straight into the water from the party, rather there are so many things that make it seem unlikely to me.

You're extremely inebriated? I don't think you're making it down that road.

Picture the site where the party was. Even with glow sticks and whatever they had for light, it's dark. Extremely inebriated to me means you're stumbling around, probably laughing hysterically, maybe sitting down on the ground, loudly telling people stuff like "Oh, man....I'm so effed up...I looooove you hahahahaha" From my memory of those days, you basically need a friend to PUT you into a vehicle so they can HELP drive you home as a PASSENGER. Someone ends up throwing up out a window or in a bush along the way home.

I don't know much about harder drugs. If she had a Truly or two and some weed, I think she would be able to get home without driving into the lake.

Something happened that we don't know about. Either she went somewhere after the party--i.e down to the water to continue a party, to horse around, etc. Or some kind of foul play.

If you were sober enough to drive down to the water, you would have been sober enough to get out the open windows, IMO.

I do find it odd in this article that the NCSO say there will be a report out next week, and that they still believe party attendees saw something:

“The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office told NewsNation they hope to provide an update on the case next week. They also hope someone who saw something at that graduation party can help lead to answers.”

I do find it odd in this article that the NCSO say there will be a report out next week, and that they still believe party attendees saw something:

“The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office told NewsNation they hope to provide an update on the case next week. They also hope someone who saw something at that graduation party can help lead to answers.”

I'm curious as to how you get 100's of party goers to stay silent? Really weird....and frankly, creepy.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I understand hydroplaning on slick road surfaces. But would that happen on sand or dirt where there is good traction especially with a 4WD vehicle? Maybe the car was in enough water pretty quickly to begin to float but it just seems a person would have to be aware of being in water and
have time to get out before being totally submerged. I sure hope the black box information is released at some point and reconstructs events leading up to this tragedy.
RSBM
No idea why it split this.

Sand is easy to lose traction (even with 4WD) if a person isn't used to driving on sand.

Especially with liquefaction from the water, makes sand even more of a loose surface and prone to sinking a vehicle on.

Topographic maps of the party area, before (and after) impoundment by the dam in 1962, are available free and public domain from the USGS here, in several formats:
These maps also show that the road taken by Christy McFarland in her video to retrace KR's hypothetical (MOO) path out of the area was once a railroad. It was 3-foot (1067 mm) gauge, cheaply built in the late 19th century to haul away felled timber, and abandoned once that resource was exhausted. "Cheap" by railroad standards, but still an excellent path for automobiles ever since. 4WD/AWD recommended, but by no means a rough-hewn road.

I'm curious as to how you get 100's of party goers to stay silent? Really weird....and frankly, creepy.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Unless something really big happened that people noticed probably the vast majority would have nothing to report.

Maybe if it was just a normal night and her closer friends had left, then somebody who knew her or ran into her would have said something. But in the darkness maybe that didn't happen.

I hope we find out but maybe we never will.

AND to continue your point, how could she panic in water with the window down when she LOVES water and is used to being in and around it? Just doesn't seem she would not be able to get out of the vehicle, and rather scrambles to the back in a panic when the water comes pouring in??
People panic in life and death situations. Loving water and a window down doesn't take away from the seriousness. jmo

Unless something really big happened that people noticed probably the vast majority would have nothing to report.

Maybe if it was just a normal night and her closer friends had left, then somebody who knew her or ran into her would have said something. But in the darkness maybe that didn't happen.

I hope we find out but maybe we never will.
Doesn't explain for me at least why in this age with people and their cameras in their phones why very few pictures or video have come out

MOO

Doesn't explain for me at least why in this age with people and their cameras in their phones why very few pictures or video have come out

MOO

At least that we know of.

Possibly LE looked at many videos of the party and found nothing? Who knows.

It may be odd that more videos haven't show up on SM but for all we know they have and they showed nothing? Pics of a party with a lot of people in the dark and none of them were KR wouldn't have much probative value.

But it is odd.

We recently had a teen die in a horrible drunk driving car crash here. The underage driver was arrested and another occupant is in critical condition. They were coming from a big birthday party that everyone in the town knew was happening. It had been talked about for at least a week in advance. The very second people heard that the teen had died as the passenger in a vehicle operated by an underage drunk driver, NO ONE knew anything. Literally.

Of course no one is going to willfully admit after the fact “yeah, I gave them drugs/alcohol” or “sure, we knew what was happening”. Not when such a tragedy occurs as a result. Much less if foul play is involved. Which could be the case in Kiely’s death. We just don’t know yet.

JMO

RSBM
No idea why it split this.

Sand is easy to lose traction (even with 4WD) if a person isn't used to driving on sand.

Especially with liquefaction from the water, makes sand even more of a loose surface and prone to sinking a vehicle on.
I don't think this is sand like you would find on a beach, but rather, sandy soil. A geologic map of California from the California Dept. of Conservation, shows the surface in the Prosser area to be covered with Quaternary (less than 2.6 million years old) sediment, identified by the letter Q (Qv means Quaternary volcanics BTW). The exposed area has been submerged for only 60 years, not enough time for fine sandy sediment from lake deposition to accumulate in large quantities.
you have to zoom in, just look NW of Lake Tahoe.
This looks like very forgiving, even fun, terrain to drive on with AWD, ATV, MTB or FTB. There are several videos showing the receding Prosser shoreline, some of them I know will not be allowed here.
All MOO

We recently had a teen die in a horrible drunk driving car crash here. The underage driver was arrested and another occupant is in critical condition. They were coming from a big birthday party that everyone in the town knew was happening. It had been talked about for at least a week in advance. The very second people heard that the teen had died as the passenger in a vehicle operated by an underage drunk driver, NO ONE knew anything. Literally.

Of course no one is going to willfully admit after the fact “yeah, I gave them drugs/alcohol” or “sure, we knew what was happening”. Not when such a tragedy occurs as a result. Much less if foul play is involved. Which could be the case in Kiely’s death. We just don’t know yet.

JMO
You make a very good point here, it's not very likely (IMO) that someone would come forward without evidence against them and admit that they gave Kiely something let alone know what happened to her that night/morning.

MOO

People panic in life and death situations. Loving water and a window down doesn't take away from the seriousness. jmo
Yes, they do, and can lead to their death if they don't keep a level head. Here's a real life example that I dealt with when I was about 12 or 13. I was at a friends house with no adults home at the time. There were 5 siblings ranging from age 5 to 17. One was frying in hot oil on the stove and the pan caught on fire. It shot up well over a foot. They literally started screaming their heads off and ran in a circle. The circle running while screaming was one of the oddest things I've ever experienced and the image will never leave me. I'm sure I had a version of a WTF moment toned down for my young age while I grabbed a container of salt, poured it over the fire and the pan, then slammed a lid down on it to put out the fire. I have no idea where I learned that from, if I even did learn it, it was just my reaction. Had I not been there when the fire started all the screamers running in a tight circle (the room wasn't very large) would have perished. I'm certain of that because they were NOT handling that situation well at ALL.

So I agree... even with her love of water, being tough, and outdoorsy... that was a perilous situation she was in, and an extremely frightening one. Not to mention I believe she was a tad messed up (although something like that can sure be sobering). At least the "circle runners" could have run out the front or the back door as there wasn't the fast weight of water pushing them back like Kiely dealt with, yet they didn't. Not to mention it was pretty dark out that night at Prosser and all that had to be extremely disorienting.

Everyone has different ways of handling extreme situations and none of us will know how we'll react until we're faced with one.

Last edited:
Yes, they do, and can lead to their death if they don't keep a level head. Here's a real life example that I dealt with when I was about 12 or 13. I was at a friends house with no adults home at the time. There were 5 siblings ranging from age 5 to 17. One was frying in hot oil on the stove and the pan caught on fire. It shot up well over a foot. They literally started screaming their heads off and ran in a circle. The circle running while screaming was one of the oddest things I've ever experienced and the image will never leave me. I'm sure I had a version of a WTF moment toned down for my young age while I grabbed a container of salt, poured it over the fire and the pan, then slammed a lid down on it to put out the fire. I have no idea where I learned that from, if I even did learn it, it was my reaction. Had I not been there when the fire started all the screamers running in a tight circle (the room wasn't very large) would have perished. I'm certain of that because they were NOT handling that situation well at ALL.

So I agree... even with her love of water, being tough, and outdoorsy... that was a perilous situation she was in, and an extremely frightening one. Not to mention I believe she was a tad messed up (although something like that can sure be sobering). At least the "circle runners" could have run out the front or the back door as there wasn't the fast weight of water pushing them back like Kiely dealt with. Not to mention it was pretty dark out and all that had to be extremely disorienting.

Everyone has different ways of handling extreme situations and none of will know how we'll react until we're faced with one.
I’m a mermaid but an unexpected piece of seaweed touches my foot and I am DONE. I forget everything I’ve learned when it comes to water. I say this in jest but it’s true. We aren’t trained to be inside a vehicle submerged in water. We learn to swim at our leisure.

JMO
I hate to admit it, but when I was 16, 17, 18 I didn't know anything about anything. Especially if parents, teachers or police were involved. Is that selfish and immature? Yes. But that's the way it was. Don't trust anyone over 30 and all that business.

On the other hand, maybe none of them genuinely saw anything of use. People are self absorbed and even at a party are likely only paying close attention to the people within 5-10 feet of them. Even if Kiely said goodbye to one or more of them they'd have no reason to watch her walk to her car and drive off. You just hug or wave to whoever is leaving and turn back to what you were doing. You don't follow them to the parking lot. IMO

I don't agree.

People who DON'T love the water tend to avoid it. I live near a beach, and I have two grandkids whom I have to drag out when it's time to go home, and one who refuses to set foot in the ocean (or the pool) at all.

People drown every day, and typically those are people who chose to go in the water and were overcome for one reason or another.

Being trapped in a sinking car on a dark night is very far removed, IMO, than the pleasant swims that Kiely may have enjoyed all her life. I'm a good swimmer and have never been intoxicated in my entire life, but I would absolutely panic if a lake came gushing through my car windows without me even knowing which way is up. Add to that being 16, possibly inebriated or high, darkness and confusion and it becomes very difficult to swim out in time to survive.

Jmo

I hate to admit it, but when I was 16, 17, 18 I didn't know anything about anything. Especially if parents, teachers or police were involved. Is that selfish and immature? Yes. But that's the way it was. Don't trust anyone over 30 and all that business.

On the other hand, maybe none of them genuinely saw anything of use. People are self absorbed and even at a party are likely only paying close attention to the people within 5-10 feet of them. Even if Kiely said goodbye to one or more of them they'd have to reason to watch her walk to her car and drive off. You just hug or wave to whoever is leaving and turn back to what you were doing. You don't follow them to the parking lot. IMO
This is very true! I think any of these possibilities is plausible.

Interesting thoughts about this wheel.

I recall AWP describing the path to get to the spot where the car was discovered.

That path includes a sharp turn to a very rough road just before entering the water.

Not having seen or experienced the road condition, I can't be certain, but that sounds like a reasonable cause for a flat tire/missing hubcap, or slightly damaged wheel, if such truly exist on that car.

Further, that wrong turn onto a rough road could lead to an over reaction (or correction) to a path into the water.

To me, the bigger question is how she ended up in the cargo area. That is, at least, a known possible oddity.

Just my thoughts.

Otis
I agree with your thoughts on how the wheel coul be damaged as you explained. I believe in earlier posts or threads we've discussed the road and the sand of the beach intersecting. The road as you said is rough it would have to be either Kiely was driving fast or/and not realizing she is on the sand. The road is not as close as it appears on maps than in reality so the driver can still adjust to the change in the terrain. All I'm saying is yes as you stated it could have happened right there or it could have been damaged earlier than where the road intersects like way before or even deliberately close to the intersection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ