Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing that is odd about the water and the depth:

Kiely's familiarity with the area. This has been stated numerous times.

In every MSM video, the AWP video, etc I have seen of the area where Kiely was recovered, there are tons of people enjoying the water. SS stated Kiely loves the water. The photos of Kiely often have water in the background. I don't think it is a stretch to believe Kiely probably went to this same spot, at least occasionally, for recreation.

So, this is different that driving into unfamiliar water.

Think about it.

Do you have a local public lake with spots where you go swimming or kayaking? I do. That's what I'm picturing.

How can she be both so incapacitated that she has no idea where she is, AND be able to operate her vehicle down that rough road/path without going off into the shrubs, etc?

From everything I have read Prosser reservoir doesn't seem to have much curent naturally since it is a dammed reservoir. I don't think a vehicle would drift much at all when sinking in a scenario similar to this given the depth of water at the time.
MOO

If given enough speed a vehicle can "float" hydroplane on as little as one inch of water if circumstances are proper. Looking at the beach as it was when Kiely went missing and as it is now; there doesn't seem to be a "drop off" of any sort. Looks to me to be more of a gradual slope.
MOO

I need to read my hydrology books again and learn about water pressures when flowing through a specific size opening. Learning about this is interesting IMO
I understand hydroplaning on slick road surfaces. But would that happen on sand or dirt where there is good traction especially with a 4WD vehicle? Maybe the car was in enough water pretty quickly to begin to float but it just seems a person would have to be aware of being in water and have time to get out before being totally submerged. I sure hope the black box information is released at some point and reconstructs events leading up to this tragedy.
Yeah.

There are so many unknowns that I am starting to doubt that we will ever know what really happened.

I guess at this point all we can do is have faith that the reports will shed light on this.

There is some reason to believe that they will but also reason that maybe they won't.

JMHO
I think the CRVs EDR will be the most important thing in determining how the vehicle ended up in the reservoir. That may determine foul play or not and determining manner of death. Here is a link to an actual study of vehicles just 1 to 3 model years earlier than this CRV. If anything the preservation capability of EDRs should improve in future cars. The CRVs EDR should have survived submersion. Hopefully the report will be public

What if its not missing but damaged in some way. IMO it does look different than a normal tire. I could be wrong of course. Its an image that was taken for a few seconds as you said so AWP may not even mention it. Only people who observed the the difference would question it so IMO it doesn't really detract from LE's investigation. Obviously if it did then AWP wouldn't post it. Although there are some things that Sleuthers have observed within the images and are questioning what they are seeing. So its all good IMO.
Interesting thoughts about this wheel.

I recall AWP describing the path to get to the spot where the car was discovered.

That path includes a sharp turn to a very rough road just before entering the water.

Not having seen or experienced the road condition, I can't be certain, but that sounds like a reasonable cause for a flat tire/missing hubcap, or slightly damaged wheel, if such truly exist on that car.

Further, that wrong turn onto a rough road could lead to an over reaction (or correction) to a path into the water.

To me, the bigger question is how she ended up in the cargo area. That is, at least, a known possible oddity.

Just my thoughts.

Otis

A reservoir that is controlled by a dam is not going to be still water. Depending on how much is released a draw down can create significant currents in the body of water.

The period from August 7 to November 1 includes the precautionary drawdown period, during which the reservoir elevation is lowered to 5,703.7 feet to allow storage room for winter and
spring inflows.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1996/0082/report.pdf

Topo of reservoir

Prosser Creek Reservoir (CA) nautical chart and water depth map

Prosser Creek Dam details

Bureau of Reclamation

Current level

California Water Watch

The reservoir is a constructed water body. The “lake” banks are not natural, imo, that’s what makes them so dangerous.

As an artificial impoundment steep drops off and fluctuating levels create flows throughout the body of water.

All imo

What you are seeing is mud or shadow that makes the wheel look misshapen. In these screenshots, that were posted yesterday, amid much discussion of wheels, you can see the car, and both passenger side wheels. The front wheel is clearly not misshapen, nor is it flat. If the tire in your screenshot was really flat, the rim would be against the metal of the rollback, and you would not see inflated tire there. The flat would not appear on the side. JMO

Screenshots from AWP recovery video...
1663345322934.png

Last edited:
Is there anywhere near a dam or roadway where a car can be shoved off?
RSBM

There is the Prosser Creek Reservoir Boat Ramp that would allow entry without tracks, IMO. In this image from a source @Curiosa20 has repeatedly cited, you can see where KR's car was found (small circle) and boat ramp (large circle).

But as we've discussed here at length, even with possibly strong currents in a reservoir that is being drawn down for winter snows, IIRC, no one here believes that KR's car could have drifted from the boat ramp to where it was found.

chrome_screenshot_1663336658519.png

It is interesting.
I wonder what is involved in calculating the ratios and differentials of weight and pressure to buoyancy? Or something like that. :)
I read early on that vehicles tend to list to the right when filling with water, something about distribution of weight of the engine but I don't know why. There was no wind that night to speak of AIRC. I’ll go back and look at graphs for speed and direction and post next.
I guess it couldn’t take long or travel more than 35 -40 feet to get to a depth from original shoreline to begin sinking then turtle so.. how long and what distance from shore when it turtled upside down, floated and then sank? IMOO
A couple of things bothered me early in. One, the lack of tracks or any disturbance at shoreline, the early reports of water depth of 35 feet (where were they) and supposedly very murky dangerous diving water. We’ve all seen how clear the water is while swimming around the car and diving for lost possessions. And we took the 25 feet less shoreline as a fact.
Was the passenger window completely shattered out?
Here’s a perspective from back of dam with current measured depths- look at the area around Alder Creek, it’s the identifier.

“A couple of things bothered me early in. One, the lack of tracks or any disturbance at shoreline”

I have *constantly* wondered about this, and more than that I have been surprised at how little this was ever mentioned. Either prior to or after the vehicle’s discovery.

Thoughts?

Did they really not search for tire tracks so close to her last known sighting?
Or once the vehicle was found, did they not do a tire track search?

Or perhaps the initial search radius was too large and by the time the vehicle was found the closest proximity was already contaminated.

This is from NewsNation, September 14.

@ around 2:20-2:24, they say the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office expects to give a report next week.

youtu.be/cvWy-2wcn18
Boy, if that isn't an obvious misquote of that newscaster.... I don't know what is. And that's how misinformation gets started.

She said "Kiely was found in the passenger seat." (I underlined the word she emphasized in her speech). Then the diver says "She's in the back of the vehicle. She's not in the drivers seat. It looks suspicious to me".

So.... it reminds me of back in the 80s when I used to perm my hair. I told the hairdresser... "I do NOT want to look like a poodle". What did he hear? "I want to look like a poodle". :eek: And it wasn't just me feeling sensitive about it either. I was going out dancing that evening and some stranger at the club pointed at me, laughing hysterically, and said "You look like a poodle!".

She apparently has the same selective hearing and interpretation of what was heard as my EX-hairdresser. Hopefully she didn't the facts wrong (again) about providing an update next week. Meanwhile, I'm not holding my breath on her take regarding an update. lol

Last edited:
About the condition of the tires/hubcaps:

In the process of entering the water and then especially being flipped and then dragged out of the water, isn’t it possible that damage could occur unrelated to the condition of the vehicle before it entered the water?

About the condition of the tires/hubcaps:

In the process of entering the water and then especially being flipped and then dragged out of the water, isn’t it possible that damage could occur unrelated to the condition of the vehicle before it entered the water?
Based on evidence shown in the AWP video, showing the car being pulled out of the water, with views of both sides shown at various times, all four wheels and tires were undamaged as it was brought on shore. The ONLY way that the front passenger wheel could have been damaged was if it was somehow damaged literally as it was being pulled onto the rollback, which we did not see. The wheels were all fine when the car was on the shore, 10 feet from the tow truck. JMO

RSBM

There is the Prosser Creek Reservoir Boat Ramp that would allow entry without tracks, IMO. In this image from a source @Curiosa20 has repeatedly cited, you can see where KR's car was found (small circle) and boat ramp (large circle).

But as we've discussed here at length, even with possibly strong currents in a reservoir that is being drawn down for winter snows, IIRC, no one here believes that KR's car could have drifted from the boat ramp to where it was found.

View attachment 366605
RSBM

View attachment 366605
That link is for two maps, not intending any relationship with the official boat ramp altho it is visible. The second interactive map shows precise water depth for the entire area, importantly for the beach/point, identified as Alder Creek area - beach is visible and depths noted foot by foot out to, at and around where the vehicle was located. In real time. It’s interesting IMO because we can see the very gradual decline along the beach shoreline.
I have never posted these fishing maps before.

Based on evidence shown in the AWP video, showing the car being pulled out of the water, with views of both sides shown at various times, all four wheels and tires were undamaged as it was brought on shore. The ONLY way that the front passenger wheel could have been damaged was if it was somehow damaged literally as it was being pulled onto the rollback, which we did not see. The wheels were all fine when the car was on the shore, 10 feet from the tow truck. JMO
Good! Sounds like it is resolved on that front.

I defer to you and others that nothing happened to the wheels - I did not analyze the footage at all myself nor am I capable of doing so.

My only thought had been that even if something *had* occurred to the wheels/rims/hubcaps, why spend time on it as anything unrelated to crime could have hypothetically caused damage.
Hoping we can move on to ideas unrelated to wheels and rims.

I can’t wait for the MAIT report.
Meanwhile, most safety guides are designed for vehicles careening off, diving off a road into a lake or river. Or being caught up in a flash flood.
In this case it would appear the vehicle rolled along and turtled at some point shortly before sinking.
This is interesting:
When a vehicle stalls in the water, the water's momentum is transferred to the car. For each foot the water rises, 500 pounds of lateral force are applied to the car.

For each foot the water rises up the side of the car, the car displaces 1,500 pounds of water. In effect, the car weighs 1,500 pounds less for each foot the water rises!

Therefore, most cars will float in just two feet of water!

The Human Element

Most vehicles will become buoyant in two feet of water or less. People who have previously driven successfully through a flooded low-water crossing often do not recognize that an increase of an inch or so in the water level may be all it takes to tip the balance of buoyancy against them!

Another thing that is odd about the water and the depth:

Kiely's familiarity with the area. This has been stated numerous times.

In every MSM video, the AWP video, etc I have seen of the area where Kiely was recovered, there are tons of people enjoying the water. SS stated Kiely loves the water. The photos of Kiely often have water in the background. I don't think it is a stretch to believe Kiely probably went to this same spot, at least occasionally, for recreation.

So, this is different that driving into unfamiliar water.

Think about it.

Do you have a local public lake with spots where you go swimming or kayaking? I do. That's what I'm picturing.

How can she be both so incapacitated that she has no idea where she is, AND be able to operate her vehicle down that rough road/path without going off into the shrubs, etc?
AND to continue your point, how could she panic in water with the window down when she LOVES water and is used to being in and around it? Just doesn't seem she would not be able to get out of the vehicle, and rather scrambles to the back in a panic when the water comes pouring in??

Text RSBM
Focusing on the site where the car was actually found, one wonders what on the bottom kept it from sliding all the way down into that 61' deep?
It may not have been a straight line down to the bottom. The lake may have had different levels of elevation....it may go flat for a bit, then drop down some more etc.

I can’t wait for the MAIT report.
Meanwhile, most safety guides are designed for vehicles careening off, diving off a road into a lake or river. Or being caught up in a flash flood.
In this case it would appear the vehicle rolled along and turtled at some point shortly before sinking.
This is interesting:
When a vehicle stalls in the water, the water's momentum is transferred to the car. For each foot the water rises, 500 pounds of lateral force are applied to the car.

For each foot the water rises up the side of the car, the car displaces 1,500 pounds of water. In effect, the car weighs 1,500 pounds less for each foot the water rises!

Therefore, most cars will float in just two feet of water!

The Human Element

Most vehicles will become buoyant in two feet of water or less. People who have previously driven successfully through a flooded low-water crossing often do not recognize that an increase of an inch or so in the water level may be all it takes to tip the balance of buoyancy against them!

Also the aerodynamicity of a car makes the topside more hydrodynamic, which means that immersed cars will gravitate toward that side (i.e. flip upside down) as they flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123AEW