Queen Elizabeth II, longest-reigning British monarch, dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only wish that they had something prettier than the gun carriage to bear her body. Surely there was a golden carriage tucked away in the Royal garage.

I only wish that they had something prettier than the gun carriage to bear her body. Surely there was a golden carriage tucked away in the Royal garage.

The Gold Stage Coach is for celebratory occasions such as Coronations, weddings and Jubilees.

It will next be used for King Charles’ coronation in approx. a year.

Wellington Arch, from there to Windsor, to be laid to rest with her dear husband.
It was an incredibly moving service. Unforgettable.

I'm glad I stayed up to watch it live. It's nearly 6 am here....may sleep a couple of hours if I can.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 5.32.09 AM.jpeg

Prince George and Princess Charlotte were perfect. They certainly already exhibit a strong sense of knowing their place in this world. They followed everything beautifully.
IIRC, the children go to church on a regular basis, so although more emotional, it’s very normal for them to behave in church services.

They are 9 & 7, so I would hope so, unlike 4 yr old Louiswho is a bit young.

Does anybody know what the military headwear is with the white strands? I tried googling it, but was unsuccessful.
They are the Life Guards, part of the Household Cavalry, wearing their Albert helmets with plumes.

Does anybody know what the military headwear is with the white strands? I tried googling it, but was unsuccessful.
White feathers are Ostrich feathers, white strands?- unsure.but lots of info. at link about the various headdressings.

rbbm.
“Throughout history,” historian Michel Wyczynski wrote in a paper for the Canadian War Museum, “the headdress has been the most distinctive, varied and visible part of the uniforms of every country’s armed forces.

“For soldiers, the headdress was much more than an article of clothing. It was a symbol of their collective identity. The headdress reflected their unit’s cultural and ethnic legacies, esprit de corps, identity, pride, reputation and tradition.''

''The traditions also had a practical role in battle in the days when military engagements were formal affairs fought in formations on open plains and fields: overseeing commanders perched on hilltops could easily identify units, ordering movements as if on a chessboard.''

''The hackle is at the root of the expression “to get one’s hackles up” (to anger someone) which, according to The Canadian Oxford Dictionary, derives from “a long feather or series of feathers on the neck or saddle of certain birds” and not, in the military sense, one would assume, from Definition No. 2: “the erectile hair on the back of a dog’s neck.”

''Seventeenth-and 18th-century Highlanders added ostrich feathers, first to decorate their bonnets, then entwining them into a lightweight cage that served to protect against blows and provide ventilation.

Highland regiments stationed in North America between 1760 and 1790 are believed to have adopted some of their decorative practices from the traditions of aboriginal peoples, whose feathers were awarded for successes in battle.''

Absolutely beautiful send off.

I sense a bit of friction between Kate & Sofie, there are two pics one Sofie giving Charlotte a glare that Kate is not happy about. The other is in the abbey and Sofie is giving a glare at Kate.

Jmo

What a strange headline "The Queen is "marched" from Westminster Abbey.

It seems kind of disrespectful to me.

Watched the entire thing.

I was impressed by the service in the cathedral. It seemed uplifting and the music was very well chosen. I think it very much must have reflected Her Majesty's view of faith. Much more contemporary (in a good way) not too much pomp and circumstance. Certainly a message of faith and reunion.

I came away thinking Her Majesty knew she had a good life and now was ready to depart it.

Absolutely beautiful send off.

I sense a bit of friction between Kate & Sofie, there are two pics one Sofie giving Charlotte a glare that Kate is not happy about. The other is in the abbey and Sofie is giving a glare at Kate.

Jmo

Sophie has often looked uncharacteristically as if she is looking sternly at people this past week. I think it is just her trying to contain her profound grief / mask her emotions as she was very close to the Queen. I don’t think she is cross, just very upset and trying to hold it together in public.

In the picture of her looking in Catherine’s direction I notice her husband Edward, next to her, is looking to the left the same as her - as is William, slightly, on her other side. Maybe they are all looking down the aisle at something/somebody?

My immense congratulations to the fine men and women who worked on this funeral and who did that unbelievable promenade from Westminster Cathedral to the Wellington Arch.

Many of the participants looked to be senior and I was amazed how well they held up. That was not an easy stroll in the park.

The Royal Navy seemed to have put it's best beefiest Navvies at the front. Impressive horsepower, and also many women in the ranks.

Stunning representation.

So glad today has gone smoothly, a huge amount of work has gone into making sure it would. I hope the family can have a few quiet days off to reflect.

In other news I’ve developed a girl crush on Kate, how can she look so stunning in grief? She’s an amazing ambassador for our little country. I’m feeling optimistic about a new era of British royalty.

Attachments

• C1AE232D-F027-4A30-A37C-B10B12ED6336.jpeg
    C1AE232D-F027-4A30-A37C-B10B12ED6336.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics