WA WA - Rio Boyd, 21 - Last Seen in Spanaway on 17 Oct, 2022 - Phone Found Smashed Block from Home

Knox

Reaction score
1666666013005.png

SPANAWAY, Wash. - The Pierce County Sheriff's Department is looking for a missing 21-year-old woman, whose phone was found smashed just a block from her family's home.

According to deputies, Rio Boyd was last seen on Oct. 17 in Spanaway. She left her home on Field Road to walk to a friend's home, but she never arrived.

Rio has brown hair and blue/hazel eyes. She is about 5'7" and was last seen wearing blue jeans.

If you've seen her or have any information regarding her whereabouts, contact the Pierce County Sheriff's Department at 253-287-4455 and reference case number 2229201282. You can also call 911.

Additional photo from Pierce County Sheriff:

Mxb7eWm.jpg

Well, this is definitely scary. Any homes or businesses with cameras along her route?
There is a 7-eleven and a few other businesses along that path. I love about a mile away from mountain highway in spanaway. I've delivered Uber eats and doordash down there at night, it's full of druggies and that specific area is really dark at night with no light from street lights or cars.

Since it was minutes after she left her house, I feel like she was being stalked.

It had to be something nefarious for Rio to drop her new phone out in the open like that. Her dad said that when he called Rio's number, some man picked up and said he had just found the phone. If a phone is locked, can it be answered with face recognition or a passcode? I didn't think it could.
I'm sure authorities talked to the man who found the phone though. I'm hoping there are surveillance cameras somewhere in that area. Do you think there would be, @TandraJones ?

It had to be something nefarious for Rio to drop her new phone out in the open like that. Her dad said that when he called Rio's number, some man picked up and said he had just found the phone. If a phone is locked, can it be answered with face recognition or a passcode? I didn't think it could.
I'm sure authorities talked to the man who found the phone though. I'm hoping there are surveillance cameras somewhere in that area. Do you think there would be, @TandraJones ?

When my phone is locked and it rings, I am able to answer without having to enter the passcode or use my thumbprint to unlock.

Did her Dad pickup the phone from the man who anwered?

I don't think that information was given in the video, @Knox.
Her father, Brian Boyd, said he called the phone when she didn't come home.

"A guy picks the phone up, answers the phone and he's like, ‘hello?’ I said, 'who's this?' He said he just found the phone on the ground right here, so I ran over and got it. I don't understand how she would have left her phone behind like that so that's what kind of scares everybody," said Brian Boyd.

"Disturbing. My daughter just gets a new phone and somebody else is answering it. That was strange," Brian Boyd.

cell.jpg

You're right, it doesn't say if the man was present when her Dad arrived.

IMHO media social or otherwise can be fickle. There have been many cases where any age person has gone missing not far from home. The saddest is we tend to feel safer close to home. Regardless of the type of neighborhood people generally know about their surroundings and act accordingly. R may have felt comfortable enough to head out alone. It is always surprising when no one sees anything unusual going on. I've seen cases where it is a matter of seconds for some one to be taken off the street. If it were not for the phone being left behind, (IMO) she may have known the person(s) and gone with them but the phone seems like she may have not gone willingly. I wonder if the phone is exactly where she went missing or if it was thrown out of a vehicle. Hopefully, more coverage ond a positive outcome.

IMHO media social or otherwise can be fickle. There have been many cases where any age person has gone missing not far from home. The saddest is we tend to feel safer close to home. Regardless of the type of neighborhood people generally know about their surroundings and act accordingly. R may have felt comfortable enough to head out alone. It is always surprising when no one sees anything unusual going on. I've seen cases where it is a matter of seconds for some one to be taken off the street. If it were not for the phone being left behind, (IMO) she may have known the person(s) and gone with them but the phone seems like she may have not gone willingly. I wonder if the phone is exactly where she went missing or if it was thrown out of a vehicle. Hopefully, more coverage ond a positive outcome.
MISSING: Pierce County Sheriff's Detectives are canvassing the area for any surveillance video where Rio Boyd went missing a week ago in Spanaway.

"It's really unsettling because it's not like her to leave for any amount of time without letting her mom or her dad know," said her uncle Chad Boyd.

If you live or work near 198th Ave Ct E and Field Road in Spanaway, please check your cameras on Monday, October 17th around 6 pm to see if you have any video of Rio. She left her home on foot.

"I really feel empty. She never would do this," said her dad, Brian Boyd.

She left behind her wallet and keys. She also left her dog at home who she would never abandon.

Her brand new cell phone was found in the 400 block of Field Road.

Her father said he called the phone when she didn't come home.

"A guy picks the phone up, answers the phone and he's like, ‘hello?’ I said, 'who's this?' He said he just found the phone on the ground right here, so I ran over and got it. I don't understand how she would have left her phone behind like that so that's what kind of scares everybody," said Brian Boyd. "Disturbing. My daughter just gets a new phone and somebody else is answering it. That was strange," he said.

Detectives say they don't believe the man who found the phone has any connection to her disappearance. They have her phone and are currently searching it for any clues to her disappearance.

Rio is 5'6", 215 lbs with brown hair, blue eyes, a scar on her left forearm and a small mole above her lip.

If you've seen her, have video or any information regarding her whereabouts, contact the Pierce County Sheriff's Department at 253-287-4455 and reference case number 2229201282. You can also call 911.
Pierce County Sheriff's Department FOX 13 Seattle

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePoloBear
Back