TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I think that is a fantastic idea.

Advanced services offered by data companies (and in my opinion, creepy) such as Lexus Nexus contain sophisticated algorithms for identifying probable friends and family via social media contacts.

So, as you stated, merge names derived from 501 membership (I would include several related Star Wars cosplay groups as well- maybe she angered an unhinged convention goer?) with the friends and family there of derived from Lexus Nexus with DMV records.

Seconds later, as you state.... the big brain computer delivers some interesting connections- at least ideally.

But wait, there could be more. Pay a modest fee for the IT programmers at Lexus Nexus to tweak their algorithims to find:

- People in Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma -and-
- who are not on the list of known Star Wars cosplay group members,
- but.... show an interest in Star Wars cosplay from social media posts and contacts. These people would be independent cos players who are not in a formal group, but may well show up at conventions, meet ups etc.

Then feed in their names as well into the "friends and family" and "owns a black Nissan" connected data bases. Hopefully, interesting connections appear as well.
That's right on track with what I'm thinking. What you propose is beyond my skill set, but only because I never tried to learn it. Many large CPA firms have that talent in-house. Many certified forensic examiners have that skill set. So there is no lack of expertise out there. If the sheriff's office doesn't have it, there are other options - Texas Rangers, FBI, Secret Service or contracting someone.

My understanding about the 501st Legion is there are spin-off (not sure that is correct verbiage/term) units/teams. Example: One of the groups Liz belonged to was Star Garrison/South Texas Squadron. There is a lot of info out there about the 501st Legion, etc. Additionally, this legion (to my understanding), correct me if I am wrong, never acknowledged what happened to Liz. IMO.

I think You are right about the 501st's organization.

The "501st Legion" appears to be an umbrella for a large number of autonomous local chapters with various unit names ie, and as you noted: Star Garrison / South Texas Squadron etc.

I imagine the national Legion sets standards in regards to costume standards (evidently very strict), sets rules for what it takes to form a new chapter / unit, establishes and prints general guides regarding Legion by laws etc.

But.... I would not be surprised that once established, if each chapter is autonomous on a day to day basis. If so, it might be good to see if any particular chapter has a reputation for attracting more uhmm..... "intense" participants than others.

Though hundreds of light years from a 2% biker group, the 501 Legions organization and biker group organization could be similar- largely autonomous local chapters with perhaps different approaches to the same issue between chapters.

For example, some biker chapters of the same 2% group tilt towards being a riding club (Ok, with a few rough edges). Other chapters, however, are known for being far more "intense", and far more prone to take small matters seriously. And... also prone to say, actually believe the group's propaganda.

Last edited:
Is this murder really about a Star Wars cosplay dispute and not infidelity or money? This has to be one of the strangest cases I have seen on Webseuths.
From what I've read, it could be... but more to the point that LB excluded certain individuals from attending events (she was the Event Planner). They may have looked at her as a "gatekeeper" and only inviting who she wanted. It's crazy, I know...but people have been murdered for less.

This whole case is bizarre and I just can't believe they can't find the truck! My daughter has a 1998 Honda CRV, we are the 4th owners of the vehicle, we get recalls sent to us from the factory (which I'm assuming Honda has our address from us registering the vehicle in our state). So how do they not know who owns this vehicle. It's not a common vehicle/model. AT ALL. I literally do not understand that.

That's right on track with what I'm thinking. What you propose is beyond my skill set, but only because I never tried to learn it. Many large CPA firms have that talent in-house. Many certified forensic examiners have that skill set. So there is no lack of expertise out there. If the sheriff's office doesn't have it, there are other options - Texas Rangers, FBI, Secret Service or contracting someone.
Contracting maybe a good route.

For example, some government agencies have long term on site contractors that are used to develop alot of customized, small scale "need to have for this specific project" type software packages.

As you stated, they can usually create small "boolean loop this and that" projects fast as they are using pre-existing software in a new way, but not really developing anything extensive.

From what I've read, it could be... but more to the point that LB excluded certain individuals from attending events (she was the Event Planner). They may have looked at her as a "gatekeeper" and only inviting who she wanted. It's crazy, I know...but people have been murdered for less.
Just chiming in to say that LB *is alleged* to have "excluded certain individuals" from some of the events hosted by her chapter of the 501st Legion--unless I have missed something, we have no real way of knowing whether or not deliberately chose to leave out various individuals (or other affiliated "Star Wars"-themed social groups) from any of the events organized by Liz's Star Garrison chapter of the 501st Legion.

To poke holes in my scenario this would only work if the killer and owner of the truck were the same. It even might work if the killer is the spouse or child of the owner. But if this was a rental, a truck on a dealer's lot, a truck in for repairs with parts on order or someone caring for a deployed military member overseas, this wouldn't likely work. (On that last one I've had someone look after my vehicle while I was deployed. Twice.) As we've looked at this it isn't a very common truck. It makes me wonder if the killer was even the owner of the truck.

Might not even be that crazy.

A forum member who was a former participant in the sub culture (different genre than Star Wars) said that a visible minority of participants obtained all their self esteem, prestige, and affirmation from the cos play word instead of the real world. Some then viewed other participants as their "chosen family".

She (seemed feminine by writing style and forum name) then related how a close friend and fellow participant became enraged at her because...... a genre actress might, and only might, have given her a brief personal acknowledgement at a fan / cosplay convention.

In short, mix a certain number of people deriving all their self esteem, prestige and perceived family from participation in a certain group, with negative decisions, and things can go down hill fast for an unhinged few.

Cheerleading (Texas case of unhinged mom with a murderous and uncheerful intent), cosplayers and Bikers- it can all be the same.

Heck, even the paper the murderer waves at the victim could be among alot of other things, an invitation list, membership roll, or costume affirmation list of some sort.

Last edited:
Everything seemed to work well for the murderer that morning. Perfectly? Got the victims’s spouse out of the way. The victim didn’t leave for work that day as usually would, as I believe original plan was to murder Liz as she left her home, and about to enter her car, ambush her then. Killer pleasantly surprised to see Liz on driveway preparing for a garage sale. Killer able to stay out of view of the Barraza’s Nest camera and make getaway without LE catching up. Though the ruthless murder was caught on CCTV, here we are over three years later, and ruthless coward killer is still free. IMO

Just chiming in to say that LB *is alleged* to have "excluded certain individuals" from some of the events hosted by her chapter of the 501st Legion--
Very true.

At the same time, the 501 Legion is known for strict standards regarding membership and by extension, may well host restrictive events on occasion. A restrictive event, by definition, would exclude people.

Thus, though as you state, it may not be known whether or not the victim handled exclusions, it is plausible that she did if she served as a officer.

Just chiming in to say that LB *is alleged* to have "excluded certain individuals" from some of the events hosted by her chapter of the 501st Legion--
Very true.

At the same time, the 501 Legion is known for strict standards regarding membership and by extension, may well host restrictive events on occasion. A restrictive event, by definition, would exclude people.

Thus, though as you state, it may not be known whether or not the victim handled exclusions, it is plausible that she did if she served as a officer.

Locating the truck is key in this investigation, and IMO there has got to be more CCTV of the truck in the area due to the fact there are many businesses in the area, or were these camera not working? Hardly, as I believe there are banks and ATMs. Wonder why more haven't been released (if there are more video) as I believe the public is going to solve the brutal murder of Liz a smart and beautiful young lady.

Locating the truck is key in this investigation, and IMO there has got to be more CCTV of the truck in the area due to the fact there are many businesses in the area, or were these camera not working? Hardly, as I believe there are banks and ATMs. Wonder why more haven't been released (if there are more video) as I believe the public is going to solve the brutal murder of Liz a smart and beautiful young lady.
This is what envision too. Captured video image of where the truck came from and/or went is key. If a business’s cameras were out along the trail, that is no excuse- just go to the next business. And on and on and on. If extra extra lucky, and the right and clear enough footage can be found from retracing where the truck came from, a License Plate number could be zoomed in and captured too. The truck had to come from somewhere!!

The problem is this is going on four years ago. If the video is captured and stored in the cloud, I’d imagine it could still be retrievable. But what business would go to all that trouble and finding it without some sort of official inquiry by police? I would think they would not just hand over footage for analysis to a general member of the public.

I do not want to wait 25 years or more for this case to be solved. I think Liz's family deserves to know the truth as to who is behind this heinous crime.
IMO....no links....gut feelings
1. A woman is behind the crime. Someone known to Liz and possibly to Sergio
2. The shooter is a "friend" of the woman. He is youngish (18-30) Slim Build approx 5'6 to 5'9. He is into acting and/or cosplay. He was paid by the woman but also did it for "fun". Not really experienced with firearms.
3. I'm not convinced that there was a passenger in the truck but if there was, I believe is was a younger teen boy who just went along for the ride.
4. The shooter didn't know Liz personally and the only connection to Liz is from the women. That's why its been so hard to link shooter to crime.
5. The shooter was wearing a costume.

Again....no links....just opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members