ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this article might help.
"[MPD] confirmed that none of the victims were the alleged attacker. He also confirmed that the unconscious person police initially responded to Sunday on King Road was one of the four victims."
My understanding is that when people make a 911, they can be traced by dispatch to a relatively specific location. It sounds like the residence at which this occurred is 1122 King Rd, which is very close to Queen Rd. It's likely that officers were told to respond to that general area.
Got it, thank you, that makes sense!

Something occurred to me- do we know that the bladed weapon was a knife? Are we for sure that it wasn't a sword (an inordinate number of people seemed to have these when I was in college, usually for display) or some other type of bladed weapon? If LE knows what it is, that may help them narrow the suspect(s) down to an owner(s) of such weapons.

Has anyone checked to see if there was any other crime in the area (prowling, noise disturbance, loud music, etc.) that was reported in the two or three hours prior to the report of an unconscious individual?

Have any of the media asked whether any of the internet enabled devices in the house had texts or photos that suggested any sort of incident at the house that night?
I have been looking over the county’s activity log to see if something jumps out, but so far, I haven’t found anything.

Edit to fix grammar.

Iirc, R. Speck tied up some of his victims ?

It sounds from the severity of the attack that there might have been more than one perp ?

There'd be furious struggle with attacking just one young healthy adult -- imagine taking on four people with a knife or box cutter, etc. ?
The others would jump him/her.
M00.
If I recall correctly, the advantage that Richard Speck had was that back in the day nurses were trained that if they encountered someone who was deranged they were to remain calm and just go along. He took them into a different room one at a time and the others had no idea their roommates were being murdered.

I would really like to see a layout of the house. The entrance was on the bottom floor. The floor seems large enough to hold the laundry and at least one bedroom. Based on real estate photos I'm guessing that the kitchen was on the next floor. I have no idea what floor the living room was on, but based on the outside view of the house, the top floor was relatively small, so I'd be surprised if the LR wasn't on the bottom or middle floor.

We heard that the person calling 911 found an unconscious person. I'm guessing that the person was on the bottom floor or near the top of the stairs to the next floor.

If Ethan heard a noise and went to check it out...wouldn't his girlfriend have been on high alert? That would make it difficult for a knife-wielding attacker to gain the element of surprise.
Not sure if this helps. Sometimes you are able to see floor plans on college rental sites, this is how I found my current apartment. It's hard to tell but it looks like the second floor could be the main floor with a common area, kitchen, community bathroom, possibly 1-2 bedrooms. Third floor likely has more bedrooms and another bathroom. The Palouse is notorious for its hilly terrain, so it could be that door seen on the ground floor leads directly to a staircase that takes you to the second (main) floor. Not sure if the actual front door entrance is pictured in this floor plan. This layout is pretty common for off-campus homes in this area.

I'm guessing that the person was already in the house, or they broke in through the sliding glass doors off the kitchen. The latter is always a weak point.

I've been wondering about how the killer killed everyone with a knife. I'm presuming that the couple were sleeping in the same room. How would you kill someone with a knife and not wake the other person in the bed? Was there a noise downstairs and Ethan went downstairs to investigate? But then wouldn't his girlfriend be on high alert?

Perhaps they were drugged and the killer had time to attack each of them?

I don’t think a knife would be fast enough and this is why I think it had to be something like a large machete. One blow is all it would take. There would be no time to react and fight the attacker off.

I agree that the attacker was already in the house or knew the house well and could enter quietly. Did anyone who didn’t live there have a key, I wonder?

I just can’t wrap my mind and heart around this tragedy.

I would really like to see a layout of the house. The entrance was on the bottom floor. The floor seems large enough to hold the laundry and at least one bedroom. Based on real estate photos I'm guessing that the kitchen was on the next floor. I have no idea what floor the living room was on, but based on the outside view of the house, the top floor was relatively small, so I'd be surprised if the LR wasn't on the bottom or middle floor.

We heard that the person calling 911 found an unconscious person. I'm guessing that the person was on the bottom floor or near the top of the stairs to the next floor.

If Ethan heard a noise and went to check it out...wouldn't his girlfriend have been on high alert? That would make it difficult for a knife-wielding attacker to gain the element of surprise.
Based on the tik tok video I saw posted on one of their accounts - where the girls were all doing roommate impressions - the living area was up a staircase. I'm assuming 2 bedrooms on the ground floor/basement area - 2 on the middle floor along with living, kitchen, etc, and 2 upstairs on the 3rd floor. Someone also posted a real estate link for the address. MOO

I'm not convinced about the whole "blood dripping out of the walls" thing. It certainly could be blood, what with multiple sources discussing how violent the scene was, but I grew up in a wooded area much like Moscow and those drips also look an awful lot like sap/other plant matter to me. I notice lots of trees, pine especially, in the exterior shots of the house.
I am having trouble understanding how something inside gets on the outside. I guess if there was rot it might’ve seeped, but it’s not making sense to me. Would that also mean that rain water could find its way into the house?

I have no knowledge on how silent killing 4 people can be.

From the photos of the house on Zillow, it does look like the kitchen is on the second floor and the sliding patio door is on that floor as well. Could the murderer entered that way through the sliding patio doors, and grabbed a knife in the kitchen after he entered?

Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt told the Spokane, Washington-based television station KXLY that her preliminary investigation showed the students were stabbed to death. There is no indication that substance use was involved in the deaths, Mabbutt said.

<snip>

Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said he understands that the police claims that the public isn’t at imminent risk seems contradictory to the facts that have been released so far about the killings.

“Obviously, there’s no way police can say that there’s no risk, but what they’re seeing indicates that there’s not a risk that this person will randomly attack people,” Thompson said, noting that it’s also not yet clear if it was one attacker or more.

“I don’t think they’re going to foreclose the possibility that it could be one or more people, but right now they don’t know who is responsible,” Thompson said.

This literally blows my mind. This was earlier today. Have LE not previously checked this dumpster? If they can’t move fast or have enough hands on deck because of size why don’t they call in more help? I’m reminded of the Faye Swetlik case where they quickly halted all trash.

HAPPENING NOW: A lot of commotion here at the crime scene on Queen. I JUST watched them dump this dumpster. Now, a ton of law enforcement is gathering, stopping them from leaving.

@kxly4news

After digging a little deeper, I’m not quite sure that is blood in the Daily Mail photo. I found pictures of the inside of the house on Zillow and based on the stain’s proximity to the sliding doors, it appears this is originating on a wall that has a dishwasher and sink. One of those could have leaked and cause the stain, if that is in fact the correct wall. I’m not sure it is, so this is all just IMO. It does look like blood however.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is some one known to these 4 who had a mental problem and was on or off meds.... so LE has a possible suspect. MSM has a lot of such stories:

Police Interrogate 16-Year-Old Who Murdered His ... - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com › watch

View attachment 380038

1:05:14
WATCH: The full police interrogation of Michael Bever, a then 16-year-old who murdered his two parents and three siblings with his brother ...
YouTube · Law&Crime Network · Sep 7, 2022

Teen tells IMPD that older brother murdered 6 in family home

https://fox59.com › news › indycrime › teen-tells-impd...

Jan 25, 2021 — The dead have been identified as the parents of the home, Kezzie and Raymond Childs, both 42, their 18-year-old son, Elijah, and 13-year-old ...

After teen kills parents, paralyzes brother, remaining siblings ...

https://www.ocregister.com › after-teen-kills-parents-pa...

Sep 22, 2019 — Myles Sachs, is the brother of Ashton Sachs who shot and killed his parents and shot and paralyzed his then 8-year-old brother.

Broken Arrow killings - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Broken_Arrow_killings

On July 22, 2015, five members of the Bever family were murdered in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. ... Two members of the family, 2-year-old Autumn and 13-year-old ...

20-year-old man charged with killing parents, younger sister ...

https://ktla.com › nexstar-media-wire › nationworld › 2...

Jun 16, 2021 — A 20-year-old college student charged with killing his parents and younger sister in their family home in Iowa told police that a masked ...

Teen Reportedly Kills Parents and Brother in Argument Over ...

https://www.newsweek.com › ... › Shooting › Police

Feb 12, 2022 — Police in Spain have arrested a 15-year-old male in connection with the deaths of his parents and his 10-year-old brother, whose dead bodies ...

Confession of boy who killed parents, siblings - People Daily

https://www.pd.co.ke › News

Jan 10, 2021 — Warunge, 22, who has confessed to the killing of his parents, two siblings and a farmhand, had described his parents to police as “satanic ...

I don't think there's any reason to jump to the mental illness conclusion yet.

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say this so mods feel free to delete. But on the victim’s tiktok there are many videos of a dog in the house with them. I wonder if they had a dog, and if it was home at the time.
They did have a dog - named Murphy. I forget which roommate it belonged to, but he is a common occurrence on their social media.

I have been looking over the county’s activity log to see if something jumps out, but so far, I haven’t found anything.

Edit to fix grammar.
I have also been stuck on looking through sheriff's logs. I find this to be interesting.

Whitman County November 10th-13th, Daily Log

02:35:00 11/13/22
"Sheriff’s Office assisted the Latah County Sheriff with locating a subject."

This would be inconsistent with LE repeatedly telling us they "do not have a suspect in custody", but for all we know this incident could be completely unrelated. It is a possibility that LE could be withholding information that is integral to the investigation. MOO

A Ka bar knife or something similar could have been used. If their throats were cut/stabbed, the blood would have silenced them and they would have bled out quickly. I wonder if there was a Greek event Sat and they all attended? If they were sleeping how did the Perp know which rooms were theirs? Were the doors unlocked? 6 bedrooms so maybe didn’t lock exterior doors? Here’s an image of a Ka knife.
1668576276785.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member