ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lower level is street level at the front door. In the back of the lower level, it is hillside, so essentially underground/basement The middle level (when looking from the street) looks like it's 2nd level, but is even with the hillside behind it and has a cement patio in the back. The top level (when looking from the street) is the third level and has a wood deck that sits above the cement patio.
It seems like a complicated layout unless one knows it personally.

Thanks so much!! To me it looks like the bedrooms would be on the 2nd and 3rd floors. MSM says the male victim was found on the second floor. That puts part of this attack smack in the middle of the house. Close quarters. Has it been established whether the surviving roommates were at home during the attack?

In reading the description of the home, there are two bedrooms and a bath on each floor. In my mind, I'm imagining not much being on that first floor other than two bedrooms, the bath, and a stairwell going up to the middle floor, where there are two other bedrooms, a bath, and likely the kitchen and living room. And then two more bedrooms and a bath on the 3rd level.
It's entirely plausible that the two unharmed roommates are in the first level bedrooms near the front door. The majority, if not all, of my bedroom doors in my college apartments had locks on them, just to maintain privacy when you don't always know who your roommate might be bringing home, etc. So maybe that's the case here and maybe that's why they are alive. It's also very plausible that they, too, were intoxicated. Maybe they didn't hear a dang thing and, if that's true, it's probably why they are alive. Maybe they heard something but dismissed it due to their intoxicated states, which possibly provides the estimated time of death. Or maybe they even saw something or someone come in but dismissed it due to their intoxicated state. Then maybe they remembered something in the morning and either found the scene themselves OR called someone to be with them when they came out of their room because they realized, when they were sober, that something was amiss the night before. That would explain the "a friend called 911" comment made by Ethan's mom. Regardless, I don't fault the police for keeping their identities or the circumstances of the 911 call private right now.
Were the two survivors women?

I listened to the press conference and typed up these parts:

Q: So there were other, uh, roommates who lived at that residence... um, were the roommates home at the time of the attack?
A: Uh there was um, there was other people home, at that time, but we're not just focusing just on them, we're focusing on everybody that um may be coming and going from that residence.
Q: So since they were home, was it a hostage situation?
A: No it was not.

Q: Just a follow up on what she asked. So, the other two roommates WERE there at the time of the attack??
A: All the information that we have, from our investigation, is that yes they were there.

From what the police chief says when questioned by the reporter, it does sound as though the 911 call came in reporting an unconscious person, rather than that the dispatcher has got crossed wires.

'You're right. But the report that we got was that it was an unconscious individual it wasn't until our officers arrived on scene, went in to do a caregiving check on the individual who was unconscious that we found the scene that was found'.

' We don't know why that call came in at noon and not in the middle of the night'

When he is asked how many other people were in the house who didn't get killed he says something else extremely odd:

'We believe two'.

I'm inferring from all this the following events:

The police had a report of an unconscious person and arrived on scene to do a care check. They found the door open [ETA: he mentions this earlier in the presser], so they entered the premises and instead found a gruesome murder scene.

IMO the other housemates were still asleep inside the house when the police arrived.

No one found an unconscious person and dialled 911. Someone outside the house dialled 911.

So the 911 call itself is suspect. And the housemates inside don't know how many people slept over that night.

Your post gave me chills.

It makes me think that whoever the target was, was on the 3rd floor. Person came in through 2nd floor entrance and killed their way up. They encountered Ethan, hence why he was the only one described as being found "on the floor". This could also speak to the 911 call - if someone could see ethan on the floor through a window, and he wasn't waking up to their knocking, they would have just described a singular unconscious person. The other 2 roommates were already passed out in their downstairs rooms and never heard a thing. Just MOO and current theory. Those other 2 girls - I can't imagine the scene they woke up to. All IMO

This seems a likely explanation, imo.

Thanks so much!! To me it looks like the bedrooms would be on the 2nd and 3rd floors. MSM says the male victim was found on the second floor. That puts part of this attack smack in the middle of the house. Close quarters. Has it been established whether the surviving roommates were at home during the attack?
The real estate listing describes the house as: “Ideal set up for roommates with 2 beds / 1 bath on each level.”

Now they are putting out that there is a threat to the community? Either this whole no threat vs there is a threat saga has been “strategic”, or this is looking like a botched or mishandled investigation from the start. JMO.
I wonder if perhaps they thought they had a suspect early on but that didn’t ultimately pan out. I wonder this because the Chief said a couple times something like “That is what we believed at the time” regarding their early messaging with regard to potential ongoing threat.

There's another possibility that the other roommates had company for the evening (boyfriends, girlfriends, new acquaintances).

Killer (or killers) may have intended one crime which evolved into murder when the male (Ethan?) interrupted.

Can see perp's not making a room to room search, once they've found their victims (targeted, although that casts a wide net)

Yes, the surviving roommates were home during the attack.

IMO
The listing states 2 bedrooms on each floor

Can't find the link from previous post
Ideal set up for roommates with 2 beds / 1 bath on each level. Great outdoor living and entertaining space with large deck and patio.. This 6 bed / 3 full bath home...

Last edited:
Another possibile scenario is that the other two roommates returned home after the murders, went to sleep in their downstairs rooms and, having come home very very late, slept almost till noon. Not unusual even back in my college days.

Only when they went up to the common rooms did they notice something wrong and then made the 911 call. That is perhaps why they were wrapped in blankets…still in their nightclothes.

Did this kiler live alone…he had to be a bloody mess…where and how did he clean up and dispose of clothes?

It seems likely, at least to me, that Ethan was not an intended victim but rather an inconvenience to the killer for three reasons: a) he was only there that night to spend the night with his girlfriend (according to his parents), b) the killer continued on upstairs after killing him to kill the other two girls (could have easily just left after killing Ethan if he was the main target), and c) if Ethan were the main target, he could have been killed many other places at many other times where he was more alone rather than in a house full of other people/witnesses/possible hindrances.

Is it possible the keypad was not armed? Also possible he came through the back entrance. But i agree i also think the perp knew them and maybe knew code. Who disappeared, who is laying low? those are key questions.
I'm not sure we know what kind of keypad was on the door. It wasn't clarified in the press conference. It could be a simple mechanical button lock or an actual electronic keypad with or without a smart link to a security system. IMO it probably isn't a sophisticated system.

If I had to guess I'd say the perp came through the sliding glass door into the kitchen. It's at the back so maybe a bit more private. And maybe more likely to be left unlocked. JMO though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
car175