ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given how high profile this case is I don’t think someone not wanting to talk to the press necessarily means anything, especially someone with a small business to keep afloat. I believe what he said was that he has a “good working relationship” with the police. As a bar owner he is probably deals with and even relies on LE fairly often for belligerent drunk people, bar fights etc. and doesn’t want to say anything, even accidentally, that could cast more scrutiny on them (à la coroner Mabbutt) than they’re already getting.

As a side note- having grown up in a place even smaller than Moscow, small towns tend to be more loyal to/defensive of LE. (Delphi of course is another good example.)
I don't think you can infer anything from not wanting to talk to LE to protect the investigation. 4 people were murdered. To risk stalling or red herring the information becuase you want to talk to the press would be horrible.

So the sister says she tracked down the girls' uber driver and spoke to them. The police say they got home via "private party" and Uber says they have no record of the girls using their service that night.

The most likely answer is that they used another ride-sharing service and by private party the police just mean not via foot or public transportation. The sister may have said "Uber" since some people use Uber and ride-share as synonymous, even though they technically are not. Could have been Lyft or some other company.

If they didn't use a ride-share then I'm not sure who the sister spoke to.

This is from yesterday, but I had not previously seen where Ethan and Xana were before they came home.

"Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road."

Surely investigators have questioned people at that Sigma Chi house, to determine whether anything untoward occurred there.
Is that fraternity nearby? Did they walk back to Kings Road?

The fraternity house is less than 100 yards away, practically across the street

Two girls out together got a ride home from the potential killer. Potential killer becomes infuriated at them for any number of reasons even as petty as not tipping or mischievous like not paying for the ride. Potential killer gets knife from under his car seat that he uses for self defense or road rage. He then in a fit of rage, goes in and kills the two girls. The third girl is in bed with her bf and she hears noise so goes to investigate. She encounters the killer and he starts to stab her. She retreats to the bedroom where her boyfriend is asleep. The killer having seriously wounded her then stabs the boyfriend and then finishes her off. He goes back into his car and takes off. <modsnip> He is a ghost and is gone. I am very sorry for these kids who were murdered. I hope they get justice. All this is my humble opinion and could be 100% wrong.
the rideshare driver may have not been the owner of the car or the rideshare account. He may have been using it if he was unable to obtain his own legal account. if this is the case then he may be untraceable. no need to redact this. good lord.

So the sister says she tracked down the girls' uber driver and spoke to them. The police say they got home via "private party" and Uber says they have no record of the girls using their service that night.

The most likely answer is that they used another ride-sharing service and by private party the police just mean not via foot or public transportation. The sister may have said "Uber" since some people use Uber and ride-share as synonymous, even though they technically are not. Could have been Lyft or some other company.

If they didn't use a ride-share then I'm not sure who the sister spoke to.
That is an excellent question.. who did she speak to?

If it’s one offender (I theorize it is),
And one knife (I theorize it is),
Assuming no victim was found gravitationally above another (I theorize that’s true),
DNA is going to reveal the sequence.
First victim will have only his or her own blood and *maybe* (hopefully) the offender’s.
Second victim will have DNA of first in wound plus maybe offender,
And so on.

Gruesome to consider (my apologies) but one example of the enormous importance of forensics in this case.
What if the killer wore gloves and was uninjured during the attacks? I don't follow.

So... perhaps the sp arrived to the house in a car and sneaking to the back of the house or front door instead of entering from through the wooded area behind the house. Very brazen to park a car very close to the house where the crime occurred. Sounds like the sp(s) were pretty confident in this crime
Wowza, I can’t be sure (because I’m no expert) but those burn out marks look like a vehicle leaving the area.
I’m sure there are others who would know better than I do.
It also sorta looks like the separation between the 2 marks would be from a bigger car/truck etc.

There are only two ways I can imagine being able to kill four people with a knife - one is if they're all in close quarters and it's a real fight but for the other two roommates to have slept through it and some of the victims to have been found in their beds makes me doubt that's what happened.

The other way is moving from sleeping victim to sleeping victim. Presumably the couple would have been in the same room though so my current speculative scenario is that the killer caught one of the couple outside of the bedroom. Bathroom maybe. That would be the one who wasn't in bed and also who had obvious defensive wounds. Once that was done I imagine they stealthily moved from bed to bed.

Now if the two roommates weren't home when the bodies were discovered - who discovered them? This leads me to suspect that there were lots of people in and out of the house, which wouldn't be unusual for a house like that.

I don't really find it suspicious that the "first floor" roommates could have been completely unaware either. The way that house seems to have been built, the killer might not have even known that floor was there and I don't think the residents of the floor would have necessarily even gone up to the upper floors at all - and if they did, probably just into a kitchen at most and down a hall out the entryway. Do we have a floorplan? I should probably look at the media thread.

I agree. I own three "Ka-Bar" style knives. I even have a Ka-Bar brand sheath that I bought for one of them because the one that came with it was cheap crap.

I do not own a Ka-Bar brand/manufactured knife.

JMO.
I just want to point out that one doesn't have to be active duty or a veteran to own a Ka-bar and definitely not to own Ka-bar styles. Our home is filled with weapon aficionados & collectors. We have every style of knife, sword/katana, throwing stars -- you name it. If someone were to come in, and didn't know my sons, they'd likely think we were running our own little militia group (we aren't). lol. Most collectors respect weapons instead of using them to slaughter other living beings. (Just jumping off your post, RANCH).

Wowza, I can’t be sure (because I’m no expert) but those burn out marks look like a vehicle leaving the area.
I’m sure there are others who would know better than I do.
It also sorta looks like the separation between the 2 marks would be from a bigger car/truck etc.
I would be suprised if those burnout marks were made from the suspect, since reports from neighbours who were up late did not hear anything out of the ordinary.

Seems strange since I believe it was just a day before Kaylee posted a pic of the group together saying how lucky they were to be roommates.
Agree. I don’t think there was a problem with any of the people in the picture (with each other). I think it’s someone else they know.

Would like to hear everyone’s takes on how they think the person/persons who did this left the scene?

I feel like on foot is quite unlikely as they most likely were covered in blood? But then again car would be quite likely to wake the other roommates or have neighbours notice?

Unless they lived close by or were a neighbour and didn’t need a vehicle to leave, but then there would have to be a scent trail/blood trail that is would be detected by dogs surely?

There is so much I just can’t get my head around.
On foot through the woods in back of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrfly0420