ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of thoughts

1. I understand why K would call J multiple times prior to passing out - drunk dialing, etc. However, I don’t know why M would as well, unless there was a reason why J would specifically not pick up for K at that time.

2. If the killer had been in the home previously as a friendly, he had likely been on the Wi-Fi and would likely auto connect when in the home. That data should be on their router and easy to obtain by LE.

3. IMO, the most rational explanation for the 911 call is that someone (potentially J’s friend) walks into the house and sees the bodies, heads downstairs and sees the surviving roommates. Asks the first one he sees to hand him their phone and tells them to get out of the house and then calls 911. That would put the other roommates out of the house at the time of the call, explain why one of their phones was used, and still make that caller seem suspicious enough for the police to investigate him.
If J was back in Boise, he might have been moving on after his breakup and either indisposed or not wanting to speak with K.

I think there could be some other explanations for the 911 call information we have so far.
On cell phones 911 can be called in several ways without actually pressing 911. iPhones can be set up to call after rapidly clicking the side button a certain number of times depending on how you have it in your emergency settings. With that in mind, maybe one of the victims was able to do that. But then without a response or little response to the 911 operator, the call became an unconscious person. My second thought is this…what if the 911 call want in reference to the victims at all. What if one of the surviving roommates called 911 because the other surviving roommate (on the same floor so probably saw her first upon awakening) seemed unconscious (for some reason unrelated to the crime), without any knowledge of the crime and not having gone to the other floors yet. I know this sounds too coincidental, but it’s a possibility.
On an IPhone, you can also call 911 by simply saying, “Siri, call 911.” That is how I have set up mine.

Couple of thoughts

1. I understand why K would call J multiple times prior to passing out - drunk dialing, etc. However, I don’t know why M would as well, unless there was a reason why J would specifically not pick up for K at that time.

2. If the killer had been in the home previously as a friendly, he had likely been on the Wi-Fi and would likely auto connect when in the home. That data should be on their router and easy to obtain by LE.

3. IMO, the most rational explanation for the 911 call is that someone (potentially J’s friend) walks into the house and sees the bodies, heads downstairs and sees the surviving roommates. Asks the first one he sees to hand him their phone and tells them to get out of the house and then calls 911. That would put the other roommates out of the house at the time of the call, explain why one of their phones was used, and still make that caller seem suspicious enough for the police to investigate him.
One reason why M might call J thinking J just isn’t picking up K’s phone call in the middle of the night is ….imho….I had a weakness for dialing drunk when I drank….definitely NOTaccussing K of this. But I think some people look at their phone and see multiple midnight calls and dismiss it as drink and dial rather than help I’m in trouble. ..perhaps just my own misspent youth talking….

While ex-es are certainly a source of suspicion in many cases, in this case, I get the sense that it was Kaylee, who was reaching out to her ex nonstop rather than the other way around, according to her sister. She was the one who called him six times. She was the one who said we share a dog together as perhaps leverage in trying to get him to call her back. Everything I have read makes it seem more that she was pursuing the relationship more than he was.

Personally, despite what LE says, I'm still eyeballing the food truck guy. "Not a suspect AT THIS TIME" means little this early into the investigation.
I agree he seems very sus

About the knife. Outdoorsy people are proud of their knives, especially hunters, etc.

Given that it does not appear to be some carving knife grabbed off the kitchen counter.

The crime seems (to me) to have been committed by someone who knew anatomy, probably from hunting. A novice with an unfamiliar knife could have stabbed away (sorry) causing nothing but screams and non lethal wounds, meaning that it would have been quite a feat to kill 4 ppl without the whole neighborhood hearing. Kids would have been out at all hours in that area.

He would have "known" and loved his weañon.imo. No way would he run out and toss it in a dumpster. His main goal would be to sink away. Hunters and weapon savvy people would just never throw away their weapon like that, close to the scene. They might even bury it somewhere, not destroy it.

He was "cool" enough to kill 4 ppl in the most efficient way, imo. He wouldn't have run out to the nearest dumpsters in a panic.

Imo this was someone who was jilted, maybe just in his own mind. I really don't think this is random killer creep a la Bundy.

Jmo

Ok, I find this interesting. They're looking for video between 3 and 6 am on the morning of the murders. The 3 makes sense, as they'd be able to determine the last phone activity from the survivors. The 6 is interesting though, especially considering the bodies weren't discovered until almost 6 hours later.

So what closes the gap? What happened at 6 that told them the murders had already occurred by then?

An autopsy determining time of death doesn't necessarily tell you when the suspect left the scene.

Something else is telling them that...
Thought...MOO, What if the roommates did go up at 6am and saw E on the floor, but it was dark and they believe a party had happened the night before, so they assumed her was passed out and went back down the their room and it wasn't until noon when the friend showed up that they realized "omg, he hasn't moved and there is blood." I don't think the mind goes directly to murder, it tries to make the most plausible scenario in the situation with the information given, even if it seems silly later. Years ago, I had an encounter with a badly burned electrician who, obviously burned, walked up and asked if I "could get him some help." Despite him clearly being burned, in my mind, I thought he needed me to call another electrician to come assist him with his work. I have thought back on that many times and why my mind didn't see and understand him being injured right away.

Probably a case of dialing when under the influence of alcohol which we've likely all been guilty of at some stage.
Wouldn’t that possibly upset J? She’s hanging out all night having fun without him and only reached out late night ? IMO he might have had his feelings hurt

The last case I followed on websleuths was a little girl kidnapped sleeping next to her parents in a tent, the theories were wild and outrageous. People need to have faith in the police.
We do have faith in them, but there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of cases where the police have dropped the ball or bodged the investigation.

This timeline is confusing to me. All housemates+E home by 1:45 am. Presumably there are at least a few minutes before everyone scatters to whatever room they are sleeping in. 2 unharmed roommates lock doors becaise they heard what they thought was a loud party -and go to sleep. I’m assuming that was ard 2 am (moo). But the party must end pretty quickly because between 220-252 the m and k are AWAKE and calling Jack. Yet they are killed between 3 and 4 while asleep enough to not fight back? It did not look like they were totally drunk (like pass out drunk) on the food truck video.

That seems off to me. Not sure how
The sister knows the calls were made-but I wonder if they left Vm or texts or anything that would indicate that they were the ones making the calls……. Also wonder if the “party” happened when the girls were dropped off?

The timing of the calls, the indication that they were asleep when killed (deeply enough to not fight back), and the “party” noises loud enough to lock doors just are not making sense.

Curious to see what the surveillance cams show, there are a number of buildings with cameras (quality could be an issue) but in particular there are some very clear traffic cams especially at Palouse River. I live in a heavily populated area and I'm shocked at the quality. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Catching up this morning. So, the 911 call did come from a roommate's phone?
Yes, but so far as I've seen, police only say that the 911 call "came from a phone belonging to one of the two surviving roommates." Does anyone know, has it been confirmed whether or not one of the surviving roommates made the call, or someone else did?

This timeline is confusing to me. All housemates+E home by 1:45 am. Presumably there are at least a few minutes before everyone scatters to whatever room they are sleeping in. 2 unharmed roommates lock doors becaise they heard what they thought was a loud party -and go to sleep. I’m assuming that was ard 2 am (moo). But the party must end pretty quickly because between 220-252 the m and k are AWAKE and calling Jack. Yet they are killed between 3 and 4 while asleep enough to not fight back? It did not look like they were totally drunk (like pass out drunk) on the food truck video.

That seems off to me. Not sure how
The sister knows the calls were made-but I wonder if they left Vm or texts or anything that would indicate that they were the ones making the calls……. Also wonder if the “party” happened when the girls were dropped off?

The timing of the calls, the indication that they were asleep when killed (deeply enough to not fight back), and the “party” noises loud enough to lock doors just are not making sense.
My assumption is that the "loud party" that caused the 2 survivors to lock doors was actually the murders occurring.

Yes, but so far as I've seen, police only say that the 911 call "came from a phone belonging to one of the two surviving roommates." Does anyone know, has it been confirmed whether or not one of the surviving roommates made the call, or someone else did?
Thank you! I sure hope we get an answer to that during the presser today.

My theory on the phone calls is that they heard noises in the night and freaked out. They must have thought it was J. If true, it shows a timeline of when they started hearing noises at the house. This is just a guess and MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuppie143