ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm cofused as to why everyone (starting apparently with the coroner, as I read on these threads) says that the victims were asleep. How is it possible to know that they were asleep or not? They were in bedrooms, but they could have been awake doing any number of things. Also-- any one of them may have seen the killer(s) come into their room but, especially if they had been drinking, their responses may have been delayed.
It was one of the first things confirmed in the PC the other day. I suppose there are a couple of ways they can make such a determination, starting with a lack of blood anywhere but in the beds, and a minimum of defensive wounds.

First time poster but long time follower on this site. I was using the Family Watchdog site to look at possible individuals from the area who are listed on the site for past crimes. In going down a rabbit hole I thought about the fact this was a rental and would most likely have someone who did the landscaping/repairs on the home. I'm sure LE will look into this but wonder if any handymen or landscapers were recently there. Could one of residents been creeped out by or had an issue with someone doing maintenance there and they filed a complaint against them? These people generally have keys or know when a key is left out so they can access the home for a repair. I know this is a stretch but just made my gears start turning.

Found the random blue chair I was thinking of when LE expanded the crime scene… 25 second mark. this chair is almost on the outside of the fencing but still seems like part of the crime scene. It’s almost as if someone would sit behind the house and watch? Just a thought!
Looks to me like it was moved there to hold up the crime scene tape setting up the perimeter.

This doesn't make sense to me. I would expect the bedrooms to be carpeted. Would not the carpet soak up most, if not all, of the blood? I would expect it would absorb enough of it that it wouldn't run to the exterior the way it appears to have.
The house was rented to college kids, so perhaps the landlord didn't want the bother (and cleaning bills!) for carpeting

Hi everyone, I was just thinking about the 911 call and the report of the unconscious person trying to make sense of it all! It came to me that maybe the two surviving girls didn’t even know Ethan had stayed over if they had arrived home and went to bed before E and X were home? Could they have tried to wake X by shouting on her, calling her and when no answer they try calling ethan or calling ethans friends to see if the couple had stayed there? My head just can’t make sense of it?
Very well could be.

Just curious what that means, unfounded? Is that the same as a false report?
Either they saw a guy sitting in their car or they did not. Either he chased them or he did not.
Or is it blown off by LE because the guy ran off and they can’t find him?

I would expect young people to be jumpy, but disregarding calls would seem like a bad idea
The perp has not been caught and there is no description of the person, or a car.
We are on day 9

What is everyone’s thoughts on this?
JMO

This doesn't make sense to me. I would expect the bedrooms to be carpeted. Would not the carpet soak up most, if not all, of the blood? I would expect it would absorb enough of it that it wouldn't run to the exterior the way it appears to have.
Might not be carpeted . My bedroom has 0 carpets and they may have renovated it that way

Did the police perhaps conclude that the attack was targeted because one of the victims might have received many more stab wounds than others?

Here's the thing that makes me curious. The police said they believed the attack to be targeted because of the "totality" of circumstantial evidence. What does that mean?

certainly, one victim having more stab wounds than the others would signify that it was targeted. The key word is "totality". It implies that there were multiple pieces of evidence that signal a targeted attack. Would else would lead them to this theory of a targeted attack?

1. Footage of somebody following the victims

2. Picture of one of the victims, possibly tacked up against the wall that's ripped up.

3. Personal belongings that somehow end up away from where the victims perished. Like a purse or car keys or maybe a ring or jewelry taken off the targeted victim and thrown across the room.

4. Maybe a note left behind

Here's the thing. If it's a stranger that targeted these people and they are on camera whether on foot or by vehicle following the victims, I think the police would have released that footage to the public if they didn't know who it was.
If it's a stranger and the cops could identify him or if it was somebody known to the victims, I think an arrest would have been made right now if some kind of footage was found tied to the murders.

I truly believe, whoever did this lived within several blocks of the murder house. Knew one or more of the victims. Maybe they were invited to a party one time couple months ago and got ghosted since. They probably walked by the house several times to notice partying going on and wondered why they weren't invited. Could be something stupid like that. Or maybe it was somebody related to the fraternity house which is half a mile away.

I believe it's somebody in one of those frat houses or somebody that lives in one of the apartment buildings near where the murders occurred.

If you look at all of the pictures of the inside of the house, it's all hardwood flooring... No carpets. Some are saying it wasn't blood, but it does make sense. And it was directly under the couples room.

First time poster but long time follower on this site. I was using the Family Watchdog site to look at possible individuals from the area who are listed on the site for past crimes. In going down a rabbit hole I thought about the fact this was a rental and would most likely have someone who did the landscaping/repairs on the home. I'm sure LE will look into this but wonder if any handymen or landscapers were recently there. Could one of residents been creeped out by or had an issue with someone doing maintenance there and they filed a complaint against them? These people generally have keys or know when a key is left out so they can access the home for a repair. I know this is a stretch but just made my gears start turning.

It’s all possible but let me introduce you to real life. Whenever there is a notorious crime the family and neighbors always suspect the 1) handyman, (2) landscapers, 3) the maid.

Hi, new member here.

Just wanted to add my two cents that it seems like they had a lot of fairy lights on the walls in different rooms of the house which I would imagine would make the house more visible inside. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that someone unfamiliar with the house would probably be stumbling in the dark but with all the fairy lights (presuming they were left on overnight) it might not have been as difficult to get around the house quietly. JMO.
Where are interior shots with fairy lights posted? I haven't seen these. Thanks

Some thoughts (all MOO) on why authorities are taking a while to process the scene...

The house was a "party house," with neighbors reporting that "probably four or five nights a week" they would see people in the windows of the house (FOX News). Because so many people visited the house, the task of collecting DNA and fingerprints and determining the source of that DNA/prints is made exponentially more complicated. So in addition to the DNA and prints of the three deceased roommates, 2 surviving roommates, and Ethan Chapin (who did not live in house but was staying the night with his girlfriend), there are likely dozens more people whose DNA/prints may be found in the home–– family, friends, boyfriends, hookups, siblings, acquaintances who dropped by during a party, etc.

If authorities are relying on DNA to identify the killer (or at least use DNA to compare against a known suspect), they will be up for a challenge. Anyone who entered the home and touched any surface in that home for more than 2 seconds (the minimum amount of time required to transfer enough DNA for a full profile) would have left their DNA in the house.

Even if we consider only the surfaces that the killer is most likely to have touched before/during/after the attacks, there will probably be multiple unidentified DNA profiles (either full or partial):

- The sliding glass door in the kitchen and the front door on the first floor will probably have DNA/fingerprints from all the residents of the house as well as any guests/partygoers since they are primary entrances/exits to the house (and from the social media accounts of the victims, it seems the back patio was a common hangout/party spot).

- The bedroom doors of the victims will obviously have the DNA of the occupants, potentially other roommates, as well as maybe friends/boyfriends –– not quite as frequently touched as the sliding glass door and front door, but still significantly more than the average non-college house.

Additionally, I don't think that in this case touch DNA evidence/fingerprints alone will be enough to identify a suspect, let alone convict them. Unlike a non-party house where the occupants would likely be able to provide LE with a list of people who have been in the house in the last month or so, the coming and goings of partygoers would make it extremely difficult (if not impossible) for LE to gather a list of people whose DNA/fingerprints can be expected to be in the house. A good defense attorney would be able to argue at trial that the presence of the defendant's DNA/fingerprints alone is not sufficient to tie him to the crime (i.e., he stopped by a party at the house which is how his DNA/fingerprints got there, not because he was the perpetrator).

IMO the only truly useful DNA in this case for the purpose of prosecution would be blood DNA and touch DNA found on the bodies or on the beds of the victims.
I 100% agree with your analysis. IMO the perp was wearing gloves and likely more to not leave any touch DNA or limit fibers/hairs etc. Can you imagine the amount of hairs and fibers found if this was a house that had frequent visitors?
In my opinion the perp took precautions to NOT leave these things. IMO forensics has a tough task ahead. Red herrings x1000. jmo and all that.

I think the best hope is that they will be able to positively match blood/dna to each victim. The hope is there will be a 5th person's blood profile mixed in and then isolated....strictly blood. What can really be relevant with dozens and dozens of fingerprints, potential hair, etc.? Way too many visitors.
Yes Hopefully the perp’s DNA is actually ON the victims because if not LE’s job will be significantly harder.

Just thinking of myself at that stage in life, at school partying, going to house parties, frat parties, party parties and there was never this level of rage, too stoned, drunk. Sounds like either a psychopath like Richard Speck or someone waiting for them to come home, and it was over a guy or girl. Dont think their noise woild provoke a neighbor into that. Hope this small town PD is up to the task, the State PD on TV didnt sound too swift either.

None of the bedrooms in this house were carpeted - in fact all floors were hard floors - no carpeting at all. The house can be seen on Zillow in detail. This is not unusual. Most landlords do hard floors for 1. beauty and 2. durability. Carpet is too easy to stain, tear, wear out, damage, etc. Plus carpet for rentals tends to be grey or some darkish color to hide all the stains and damage.

I 100% agree with your analysis. IMO the perp was wearing gloves and likely more to not leave any touch DNA or limit fibers/hairs etc. Can you imagine the amount of hairs and fibers found if this was a house that had frequent visitors?
In my opinion the perp took precautions to NOT leave these things. IMO forensics has a tough task ahead. Red herrings x1000. jmo and all that.
What about shoe prints though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member