ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Let’s try to narrow down the murder weapon the best we can.

According to MPD websites:
  • Local businesses were contacted to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased.”

What are the characteristic of a fixed-blade knife:

A fixed-blade knives have a blade that extends into the handle of the knife. The blade can be either full tang or partial tang, meaning that the blade can either extend the entire length of the handle or partially into the handle.

A fixed-blade knife is without folding mechanism. A kitchen knife is most commonly example of a fixed-blade.

Now let’s take a look at the coroner characteristic of the knife:

“Coroner says University of Idaho students were murdered with large knife”

“"They were all murdered from a stabbing through a larger knife," coroner Cathy Mabbutt told CBS News. “

<modsnip: Images removed due to no link to source>

Moscow police appear to be searching for a “Rambo”-style knife (store manager)

“Police have visited the store more than once to ask whether the retailer sold anyone Ka-Bar brand knives, which are also known as K bar knives.”

“Idaho State Police spokesperson Aaron Snell told the Statesman on Thursday that detectives visited several local hardware stores that may carry “fixed-blade type knives,” but that they weren’t solely asking about Ka-Bar knives.”
We can only surmise that K-Bar (fixed-blade) have the closest characteristics of the murder weapon.

So it appears that the murder weapon has the following characteristics:

- Fixed-blade
- Large
- Rambo style knife (as per store manager)
- Could be a Kbar brand

An example of a large fixed-blade knives:
There are various fixed-blade style, Bowie have the similar features to the murder weapon described by the coroner (large) and the store manager (Rambo style) or combat type of knife.

Bowie Style Fixed Blade - Bowie Knives are large knives, usually worn on a leather/ sheath.

Fixed-Blade brand:

- The KA-BAR brand designed the Becker BK-9 (they have this one in Amazon 9 inch blade for $130)

- Buck Knives 119 Special 6 inch (this one is a little cheaper $69) this is not Ka-Bar brand.

- Tactical Bowie Survival Hunting Rambo Bushcraft Knife with Kydex Sheath Military Combat Fixed Blade, with Non-Slip Handle, for Camping, Hunting, and Adventure, 12.2 this is the cheapest knife out of the 3, it’s $21.44 and it’s the biggest 12.2 inch

“Idaho State Police told the Statesman on Thursday that detectives visited several local hardware stores that may carry “fixed-blade type knives,” but that they weren’t solely asking about Ka-Bar knives.”

I am leaning towards the cheapest knifes with the biggest blades. But we shall see.

Just knowing the characteristic of the murder weapon may help aid the investigation. The killer friends, acquaintances or a family member May remember him carrying this weapon.

Last edited by a moderator:
A man that was at the Corner Club shares his perceptions of the women there that night, and how they seemed to catch a lot of attention from men there. One visibly drunk. I imagine the club has cameras and LE obtained the footage.

Read what he says here:

Overserved apparently. The parents should gather all the info they can on this for a later date.
We don’t know that any of them were drunk. They may have had a drug slipped in to their drink at the bar by someone around them.
Very true.
Unfortunately it isn't the only unsolved case in the area. There is also a 5 victim serial killer who killed a Moscow college student who was riding her bike to Lewiston. Unfortunately I live in the area and my hopes are not high for a conviction. Everyone in the LC Valley knows who the serial killer in the cold case out of Lewiston is, but no arrests. I wish I could say I was confident in the investigation, but sadly, I am not.
Can you link that case? I’d like to review.
This whole thing is interesting in the sense that when I watched the food truck footage I thought KG didn’t seem very intoxicated. Yes she walked up and was the one ordering and she thought she had some points/discount but didn’t seem too visibly drunk by any means. MM was stumbling around almost rocking at some points seemingly trying to keep from falling to the point that she went and leaned against the truck the whole time after they ordered as if she couldn’t stand well on her own. No judgement that was me in college all the time.

But the two things that stood out to me were that KG was on her phone literally the entire time stopping texting to take some pics but other than that was glued to it. I also found it weird that an Uber driver would get out of the car and yell to get in considering you’d think he didn’t know what his passengers looked like.

And then also why say they gave them random food without paying bc they had to leave? They paid after they ordered food bless I missed that and it didn’t seem like there was much discussion between them and food truck workers as in saying they had to go and asking for food but again maybe I missed that.

Not that it leads me to believe anything but just interesting what someone else observed in person vs what I noticed on footage when I watched days ago?
Did you hear how she said “car bo nar ra”? She could barely say it yet she wasn’t stumbling like Maddie. Vulnerable.

There's got to be a threshold of risk tolerance even for the most brazen home intruder killers. Invading a house with what you perceive to be sleeping victims is a lot less risky then being possibly discovered inside a house with possibly 2 or 3 or 4 males on top of everybody else in there. Not to mention, you're in a better position to abort if you are waiting outside.
True. And the killer may have stalked them for some time and knew their patterns and habits. Knowing when they usually came in from an evening out, what condition they were usually in. I almost wonder if the killer started out looking for a location, such as an off-campus house with multiple female students residing, as opposed to a specific victim type. Once he finds a place he moves to the next phase of learning the patterns of the occupants.

22-M10204 Suspicious Person/Circumstance

Incident Address: E 2ND ST & S MAIN ST

MOSCOW ID 83843

Disposition: ACT

Time Reported: 14:10

Cad Comments:

A male is walking around taking down the posters with the tip line information.

Officer responded. No report.

CivicAlerts.aspx
No report taken? >>>pulling at my hair<<< and rhetorically asking 'BUT WHY NOT?!'

Ruben Flores pulled Kristin Smart flyers down and look where he's at in that case.

Thinking that same scenario has been reported in other cases, as well. But, at this time, can't think of particulars off the top of my head. Apologies in advance.

Someone could've slipped something in her drink, but I hope college women are on guard of that not happening to them. No blame or shame to be drinking and getting a little tipsy at a club, but I cringe to hear men were taking notice of them, and wonder if one hit on one of the women, and got a sharp put-down that angered him. MOO, anger and spitefulness seem to be part of these murders.

The four University of Idaho students murdered with a KBAR knife last weekend may have been murdered by more than one killer, according to famed forensic pathologist Dr. Cyril Wecht.

We probably have more information on this case than he does.

Let me tell you. I lived through the Baton Rouge serial killer years and it was absolutely unnerving, especially when he was known to be in areas I drive through or visited or had friends there, etc. He chose black and white women, older and younger etc. It made no sense who he was going to grab next. Then they said he was driving a white van (truck maybe.. fuzzy memory) and then you realize how many of those are around.

I feel very sad for everyone in the area. It’s a psychological terror (if not a physical one also).
I was an LSU student during the BR serial killer years. Looking back, I should have been more fearful or at least careful. I tried to avoid going out alone especially at night and my guy friends were great about keeping an eye on us girls (all the victims were female). But it really didn’t change my routine much. In hindsight, I should have been more vigilant but when you’re 19, 20, 21, you think it can’t happen to you. And yes, they said for a long time it was a white guy in a white truck, which DTL was not. Not even close.

Is it possible to break one of these style knives? Could the killer have chipped the tip on the last victim sparing the final roommates?
It really just depends on the quality of the knife.
If a cheap knockoff you bet. If a real combat style knive I wouldn't think so. A real combat knife can stab thru a skull pretty easily I believe.
Anything is possible however. jmo

Someone could've slipped something in her drink, but I hope college women are on guard of that not happening to them. No blame or shame to be drinking and getting a little tipsy at a club, but I cringe to hear men were taking notice of them, and wonder if one hit on one of the women, and got a sharp put-down that angered him. MOO, anger and spitefulness seem to be part of these murders.

I have been a part-time drink babysitter for years. OK, full time. Most women, of all ages, either do not leave their drinks unattended or leave them with someone they trust when they are out at a bar or club. Same with purses, coats, hats, etc.

Why don't police take reports on any of these?
I think there’s some confusion here I might/might not be able to clear up about how things work here.

Field notes are taken on all ACT designations. Those are different than reports, which are when a crime been committed or suspected to be committed. There are sometimes exceptions when the officer the officer might take a report for other reasons.

Another thing I’ll toss out since I’m chronically behind is we actually have a municipal regulations about posting things like flyers on poles. And we have a fairly recent history of that being problematic. I’d like to think MPD would make a huge exception in this case & suspect they have, but that doesn’t mean everyone would agree with that exception.

Not sure if the cops talked to the person removing flyers in this case, but certainly hope they did to ID him & rule him in/out, add to list, etc.

Moo & HTH

11/23/22
WE GO LIVE AT 10:30 PM EASTERN.
We are learning more about the Walmart shooter.
New details from Moscow Idaho about student killings
Club shooter appears in court. We will have the latest.
Quinton Simon's Grandma Billie Joe received a horrible hand written note. We will discuss.

How did the killer subdue and stab 4 people? I was just studying other such cases. When Richard Speck killed 8 nurses with a knife, he had a pistol. While he did not use it, he apparently used it to control the victims while he took each from the room and killed them with a knife. Makes me wonder if the Moscow killer had a firearm that he did not use in addition to the knife.
They were attacked while sleeping.

I think the killer might have waited if he were outside. Some posters have suggested that he may have already been inside, laying in wait.
I wonder that too. Did he hide inside? It was a big house. Or perhaps did he plant a camera at a pre break in or use night vision? The timeline as it exists seems really tight. How would he know that some or all of the 4 weren't just on their phone in bed scrolling instagram with the lights off totally ready to scream if someone came in? And if the ex boyfriend had answered their calls would they have been talking to him at about that time? It seems like it was such a chance to go in there without some certainty.

I'm not well versed when it comes to American True Crime, so I apologize if this question is misguided or the answer obvious:

Can anyone think of a similarly high profile homicide case in which the person or people eventually charged were initially cleared by law enforcement?

I don't mean to speculate about those who LE have cleared in this case, but there has been a lot of discussion regarding who has been explicitly cleared, who hasn't, and the potential reasons for that. Is there any reason (based on prior cases) to believe that LE may have publicly "cleared" a suspect while privately surveilling them?

Again, this question isn't motivated by personal suspicion of anyone cleared in this case. Such a tactic just seems potentially valuable but might come at the cost of public trust, which is (or should be) immensely valuable to law enforcement in the long term and perhaps even in solving this case.

Maybe it's too simplistic to assume that whoever was capable of this would let their guard down at all before a suspect is named, even if "cleared" by LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2