Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #158

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole thing is totally ludicrous. They had the FBI, local and state LE and it took almost six years to put this all together. It probably could have been solved in 48 hours, depending on when the witnesses were interviewed. Allen even told them he was at the bridge that day. And, if I recall correctly they might of mentioned what he saw at the bridge that day as LE discussed witnesses in press releases. Not sure and too too many threads to go back and check. Obviously hiding in plain view, plain view in a file.
Such total incompetence by LE!
Too many cooks in the kitchen ruin the soup, is an apt analogy here. I think that there were so many teams, so many useless tips, that there was just a staggering amount of information, that he was questioned and no one circled back around for follow-up.

Also, since my timeout didn’t make me stop obsessing on this please indulge me on it one more time.
He admits to wearing the same clothes. So then, do they show him the video and ASK him if that is he in it? Investigators need to ask, not assume, right?
Then does he:
A. Say no, I wore similar stuff but it is not me.
B. Say yes, that is me but I was looking at fish, never saw those girls (leaving himself open to follow ups about whatever else the video may contain).
C. Say, I don’t know, waits for legal help.

I am sorry to be this way. My brain gets stuck on certain things and I just can’t stop even though it’s pointless because we do not have this information. I know it’s annoying, even to myself.
If he did “B.” and admitted that it was him on the bridge, then
HE. IS. DONE.

Why would he clear his gun and leave the unspent bullet at the scene? That just seems really strange to me. I am starting lean toward more than just one person. One waiting and one following the girls. Just happy they have something that links this guy with the crime. I also think he killed them with a knife. I don't think he tried to wash his clothing, I think he burned them. Hence the firepit search. Buttons, zippers etc. JMOO I really hope LE Homicide has DNA.
IMO he cleared his weapon and either didn't notice or couldn't find the unspent bullet. (Maybe Libby's phone was ringing, maybe Derrick was calling for the girls, maybe something else spooked him or he just didn't realize the value of this round)

moo

And if his phone pinged next to the girls’ phone during the timeframe of the murders that would be impossible to explain away
JMO

This is a concept that perhaps needs more exploration. We know that phones are capable of using nearby devices to aid in geolocation, as that's how "precise location" works. It stands to reason that if phones have the capability of awareness of other nearby phones, the information broker powerhouses, who make their living correlating and selling information about their users, are collecting and using this information.

My theory on how RA self reported his presence there had slipped thru the cracks was that there was an official data base set up for all incoming tips. Eventually 70,000 tips were ENTERED into the database.

However, there are side routes (outside of the system) that information could have been avenues for tips. The low key conversation with the Conservation Officer might have been like this. The Conservation Officer scribbles a note documenting the conversation with RA, then it gets lost in the shuffle because it doesn't come thru the regular channels and doesn't get entered and by the time it is discovered the Conservation Officer is long gone and not apart of the investigation to remind them.

This stuff happens...especially when inundated with copious amounts of tips.

Only went they went back to square one did they find the original note.

If the car had transfer evidence such as mud and blood from the scene then how do we imagine he explained these to his wife or anyone else at the time? Assuming he went directly home post murders, and knowing a witness saw him covered in blood and mud - how did he get home and himself and the car all cleaned up before anyone saw or how did he explain this?
I have to assume his wife was at work and no one was home he got there, it was 4pm.
.... and exactly there at my chosen fish-observation spot I took a nice photo of my daughter one year after a double murder. I let her sit down in her fine, light dress on the cold (dirty) ground, because standing there on railroad ties could have looked like mocking one of the murder victims from 2017. So now I have a photo of my dearest daughter at one of my favorite fish-observation spots. :( He wouldn't have said.
The picture of RAs daughter was taken years before the murders.

It occurs to me that Richard Allen had to be confident that he would be successful in this crime and evade capture. Why else would he risk his whole seemingly normal life and family? It is a big risk.

He would have known that at 1:30 on a Monday afternoon in February the trails would be deserted. MOO he went there with the purpose to commit a crime and the witness who saw him standing on the first platform, about 50 feet away from her before she turned around could easily have become the victim had she continued walking. He chose waiting at the bridge for a victim because the bridge is a choke point of sorts. Once you are on the bridge, you must either continue straight forward or turn around and go directly backward. He also would have known that no one else was on the trail because he had walked the length of it to the bridge, just before the girls.

Granted, he most likely did not know about the existence of the video of him on Libby's phone when he came forward initially since IIRC the photo wasn't released until February 17th, 2017 but I have to say that putting all of this together, how he put himself there, at the correct time, in the correct clothes makes me think that he genuinely thought he had a high chance of getting away with this at the time he did it. Why would he take risk like this when he has a family and seemingly a good normal life? Unless he knew he would get away with it.

For some reason this gives me such BTK vibes. I think he thought the police were lying to him when they asked him about the unspent round and that is why he said he didn't know how it would be there. A contrast to how BTK trusted the police when they told him floppy disks weren't traceable. Turns out, they were traceable and boy was Dennis Rader angry in the interrogation that Lieutenant Landwehr lied to him about it.

A criminal on this level seeks to lie as little as possible. The clothes he admitted to wearing was the truth. His presence that day on the bridge was the truth. Where he parked his car was the truth. Those issues are not issues this guy feels pressure to lie about. It was a heinous crime after which the suspect seemingly went back to his life undetected. He wasn’t worried. Of interest would be the critical items he does feel the need to lie about. Example: the gun. Or quite possibly, his accomplices or others who were complicit is bringing him to the bridge that day. I believe school was called off that day, so the girls likely planned something. He was there for a reason. He knew who he was looking for. He lied about why he was there. That combined with the gun is interesting. Also I would not be quick to assume ISP didn’t know what they were doing. They had a lot of help and have been very guarded about this case.

The bullet was found 2 feet away from one of the girls but in between them so they were farther apart from each other than I had imagined.

The Hoosier Harvestore didn't have video of RMA walking on CR 300N? Hmmm.

It occurs to me that Richard Allen had to be confident that he would be successful in this crime and evade capture. Why else would he risk his whole seemingly normal life and family? It is a big risk.

He would have known that at 1:30 on a Monday afternoon in February the trails would be deserted. MOO he went there with the purpose to commit a crime and the witness who saw him standing on the first platform, about 50 feet away from her before she turned around could easily have become the victim had she continued walking. He chose waiting at the bridge for a victim because the bridge is a choke point of sorts. Once you are on the bridge, you must either continue straight forward or turn around and go directly backward. He also would have known that no one else was on the trail because he had walked the length of it to the bridge, just before the girls.

Granted, he most likely did not know about the existence of the video of him on Libby's phone when he came forward initially since IIRC the photo wasn't released until February 17th, 2017 but I have to say that putting all of this together, how he put himself there, at the correct time, in the correct clothes makes me think that he genuinely thought he had a high chance of getting away with this at the time he did it. Why would he take risk like this when he has a family and seemingly a good normal life? Unless he knew he would get away with it.

For some reason this gives me such BTK vibes. I think he thought the police were lying to him when they asked him about the unspent round and that is why he said he didn't know how it would be there. A contrast to how BTK trusted the police when they told him floppy disks weren't traceable. Turns out, they were traceable and boy was Dennis Rader angry in the interrogation that Lieutenant Landwehr lied to him about it.
But, then, where was RA during the 2:09 Libby pic (of Abby) that shows the entire length of the bridge?

BIB

Won't they just cop to it?

The only explanation i came come up with is that investigators never saw the tip sheet somehow. If they saw it, they would have solved the case surely - because for instance, we know they were interested in the owner of the parked car.
Yes that’s the only explanation, the interview of the one guy there that day who met the description of bridge guy was put in a pile that wasn’t read for almost 6 years!
It’s baffling.
The tip sheet was created based on a officer’s interview of Allen in 2017.
Then they finally did a second interview on October 16, 2022.
In that interview he basically described himself as bridge guy and they got a search warrant!

Quoting the affidavit: bbm

“Investigators reviewing prior tips encountered a tip narrative from an officer who interviewed Richard M Allen in 2017. That narrative stated:
Mr. Allen was on the trail between 1330-1530. He parked at the old Farm Bureau building and walked to the new Freedom Bridge. While at the Freedom Bridge he saw three females. He noted one was taller and had brown or black hair. He did not remember the description nor did he speak with them. He walked from the Freedom Bridge to the High Bridge. He did not see anybody, although he stated he was watching a stock ticker on his phone as he walked. He stated there were vehicles parked at the High Bridge trail head, however did not pay attention to them. He did not take any photos or video.

On October 13 2022 Richard Allen was interviewed again by investigators. He advised he was on the trails on February 13,2017. He stated he saw juvenile girls on the trails east of Freedom Bridge and that he went on to the Monon High Bridge. Richard Allen further stated he went out on to the Monon High Bridge to watch the fish. Later in his statement, he said he walked out to the first platform on the bridge. He stated he then walked back, sat on a bench on the trail and then left. He stated he parked his car on the side of an old building. He told investigators that he was wearing blue jeans and a blue or black Carhartt jacket with a hood. He advised he may have been wearing some other head covering as well. He further claimed he saw no one else except for the juvenile girls he saw east of the Freedom Bridge. He told investigators that he owns firearms and they are at his home.

Richard Allen Probable Cause Affidavit

Last edited:
My theory on how RA self reported his presence there had slipped thru the cracks was that there was an official data base set up for all incoming tips. Eventually 70,000 tips were ENTERED into the database.

However, there are side routes (outside of the system) that information could have been avenues for tips. The low key conversation with the Conservation Officer might have been like this. The Conservation Officer scribbles a note documenting the conversation with RA, then it gets lost in the shuffle because it doesn't come thru the regular channels and doesn't get entered and by the time it is discovered the Conservation Officer is long gone and not apart of the investigation to remind them.

This stuff happens...especially when inundated with copious amounts of tips.

Only went they went back to square one did they find the original note.
Well, this is why I want to know the exact date of RA “volunteering” he was on the trails that day.

Why didn't the actual witnesses mentioned in the PC ID him every time they went into CVS?

The defense is going to be ALL OVER that.
IDK if CVS uses specific clothing but I'm going to assume they do.

He probably changed his looks enough to appear different with said uniform than the person they had seen at the trail
Same reason why it's reasonable his wife or daughter didn't ID him.

Why didn't the actual witnesses mentioned in the PC ID him every time they went into CVS?

The defense is going to be ALL OVER that.

interesting question..seems like a mass case of denial, like not wanting to ruin the status quo...the Mayberry, the religious
construct of the town, the great service at CVS..honestly makes me wonder...well he went "allegedly" to rehab, came back and perhaps changed his appearance in some ways..notice the shaved buzzed head and long goatee. He was taller than BG
according to the report. He was nice and always helpful...so a collective blind eye. Remember also he can look you right in the face and dare you you to suspect him...he has no shame no guilt or remorse...he is the guy picking up the tab for your funeral shots. mOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015