ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the new info that has come out about K having the most brutal injuries, and both girls being found in M’s room & bed, some new questions have popped up for me.

1. In the dark, how could the killer tell who was who?? Both girls look almost identical. So just because K’s wounds were worse, how do we know this in fact makes her the one “targeted”?
2. We’ve heard from K’s mom that she was a “Websleuth”, whether that meant she belonged to this site or just followed true crime. K’s mom also said, just once I believe, that sex trafficking was everywhere & went deeper than her mom could ever know. My question is, could K have maybe stumbled upon a sex trafficking ring & this was essentially a “hit”? Maybe those two guys in the store were establishing visual confirmation. This is JMHO of a possible theory.

I’m assuming the DNA I volunteered for my Ancestry site is stored somewhere. If it wasn’t, how would LE have caught the Golden State Killer? And my fingerprints were first checked by FBI to work at a bank decades ago, & then for a permit, so I’m sure those are stored somewhere as well. But seeing as though I’m not a criminal, I don’t sweat it…..much. Still is kinda Big Brother.
The DNA you submitted to Ancestry remains with them. If you download the file from Ancestry, you can upload it to GedMatch. GedMatch is where investigative genealogy takes place. The criminal DNA database is CODIS, but they do not obtain DNA from Ancestry.

Generally CODIS requires an exact match.

They caught the Golden State Killer from his relatives who uploaded their DNA to GedMatch. It was not a direct match. It was a like a third/fourth cousin match and they did background checks until they found relatives who were male, living in CA and about the age of the GSK. It took a long time.

I think finger prints are shared among agencies. (I could be wrong) However, in Texas, the Department of Public Safety is in possession of the finger prints. Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been posted, but what KG’s father says about the young man from the Food Truck is disturbing: his DNA would not have been collected and he would have gone abroad

"A major point of contention for the grieving father is a man who quickly scandalized the internet in the immediate aftermath of the slayings. In streaming footage, a man in a cap, dark jacket and light hoodie can be seen near Goncalves and Mogen, as they are ordering at a popular food truck.

In that footage, the man arrives right when they arrive, waits behind them while they order, walks with them, stands with them as they wait for their food, and speaks with other people at the truck. When the two women leave, however, he goes off in a different direction.

That man has since been identified and is not considered a suspect or person of interest in the investigation at this time, police said.

“Some people came to us and said that he’s out of the country, Steve Gonalves told the Manhattan-based tabloid. “He didn’t take a DNA test. So we would like [police] to tell us what his alibi was.”
Roommates Who Were Asleep Inside of Residence While Four Idaho Students Were Murdered Speak Out for the First Time

I haven't been able to keep up today - where is this coming from? Just speculation? Is there any reason to believe that the four victims were penetrated with a knife? Wild.
The medical terminology for a stab wound is a “penetrating injury” so every single stab wound the victims endured, there were allegedly multiple, is classified as penetrating ….

I don’t think the OP was meaning penetrated in a literal sexual way … but more along the lines of piquerism, I think was being implied ???

Many years ago in the 1980’s there was a push to have families create a child identification kit at home to speed the process if a child went missing. In that kit was a recent photo, fingerprints, and an old toothbrush and hairbrush in a baggie to be used for DNA.
I volunteered to help get kids fingerprints on the card. It was a very strange experience in my 20’s to take the fingerprints of little children for a card to be used to identify them if they went missing, or had passed away and were not easy to identify.
I was mindful of this when my kids came along to keep recent photos but I did not have my kids fingerprints done.

A Google search and I found it- evidently it is still going on today.

JMO
I worked a booth for fundraiser for children, an insurance agency donated kits like that, only it was more of a folder pamphlet where the parent did the photo/fingerprints etc. I didn't have children yet and I too felt profoundly sad this was needed.

I worked a booth for fundraiser for children, an insurance agency donated kits like that, only it was more of a folder pamphlet where the parent did the photo/fingerprints etc. I didn't have children yet and I too felt profoundly sad this was needed.
My kids had theirs done at a Boy Scout jamboree event. It was done by the International Order of the Foresters (kinda like a Lion's Club) The kids got photo ID's with their pics and tiny thumbprints.

The DNA you submitted to Ancestry remains with them. If you download the file from Ancestry, you can upload it to GedMatch. GedMatch is where investigative genealogy takes place. The criminal DNA database is CODIS, but they do not obtain DNA the Ancestry, they obtain it from LE.

I think finger prints are shared among agencies. (I could be wrong) However, in Texas, the Department of Public Safety is in possession of the finger prints. Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System - Wikipedia
My parents had both mine & my brothers fingerprints done & then put them in their lockbox. I grew up in So Cal in the 70’s/80’s so there was fear there. My brothers Cub Scout Troop put on the event for kids.

I politely disagree, I am one of ‘those’ people who say ‘If you have nothing to hide, why wouldn’t you?’ I also believe barcoding humans at birth would be a great idea for the same reason. I’m sure many will think I’m a crackpot but I really do have nothing to hide & don’t understand why you think this mantra is ‘absurd’?
This is all fine until there's a wrong conviction. Then, everyone changes their tune

What my understanding is, a text exchange between parents put X and E at the house watching a movie at 12. ( something about pictures of popcorn and wine glasses)Other info surrounding include that they arrived home at 145 indicating that they had left sometime after 12, possibly to get food, jack in the box receipt. My understanding also that they had stopped by the frat house sometime after leaving at 12 and going back home at 145. If they have survelience of the others coming and going wouldnt they also have them on camera also
Heh there- where does your understanding that they stopped by the frat house around midnight come from? Thanks!

I can’t seem to find the post with the house diagrams… which bedroom on floor 3 was KG’s?
3F I believe. Her room was the room that if you were facing the front of the house, it would’ve been on the 3rd floor on the right hand side, kinda over the sliding glass door. MM’s room was on the left side of the house and was closer to the hill & the road, if that makes sense.

There’s a guy that was at the CC who saw them and then saw them again at the grub truck. He’s done several interviews. I haven’t heard of anything odd at the CC. But you’re right. Seems like they would just put out a statement asking for anyone at the CC to at least get on a list so they can interview them later if they needed to.

Maybe many people there came forward voluntarily and identified others they were with so LE doesn’t need to ask publicly

JMO but the fact two of the victims worked as servers at the same restaurant feels like it's being overlooked, at least by online folks (I'm sure LE is all over this). What if Xana and Maddie were the actual targets? Makes more sense than just Kaylee, who wasn't really even living there at the time, and would clear up some of the "why kill all four" question. Hopefully LE is checking into every male co-worker and regular at the cafe. Maybe someone fixated on those girls.

Has there been any clarity on Xana's father coming by the week before to fix a lock? Her mom has mentioned this in interview but unclear if it was a room lock or exterior lock. Thought I read somewhere the killer locked the room doors when he was done, which means the locks were functioning (although I would guess the girls kept the room doors unlocked while they were home). If dad came by to fix an exterior lock...how was it broken? Perhaps this wasn't the killer's first attempt at entry.

Perhaps not technically (or legally), but penetration of four human bodies with a knife, probably multiple times, is never asexual.
That’s not true . You can murder people with a knife and have it stem from anger or jealousy or many other things and it not be sexual . People have stabbed their entire family and it wasn’t in a sexual manner at all .

In regards to the reports of K’s injuries being more brutal than the others … if true, an explanation for this could simply be that she was stabbed first and the killer simply had an adrenaline surge during her stabbing then just …got tired. MOO I don’t believe that the extent of her injuries necessary mean she was the “target”
I thought this as well. In Maddie’s room, in Maddie’s bed, how did the killer know it was Kaylee? The girls looked practically identical. In the dark, in the wrong room, who can say who was the target?

Last edited:
You're probably thinking about the Golden State Killer case. His relative did not simply do a genealogy test but also uploaded the results to GEDmatch. If individuals choose to provide that information voluntarily to GEDmatch that's fine but 23andMe, Ancentry.com, etc will NOT do it for you.

Here's how GEDmatch works: The Magic Within Your DNA | How it Works - GEDmatch (note option 4 on that page giving your consent to law enforcement)
Because this has been such a hot topic up & down the thread, I’m posting this. Maryland, Montana & Utah are the only states that have any limits on LE using consumer DNA databases for DNA matches, and they do allow it, just with oversight.
The public willingly gives up their DNA. There’s no expectation of privacy. LE routinely submit cold cases or John or Jane Doe identifications to consumer DNA sites for analysis.

Source:

The 911 call. Why do you think it hasn’t been released yet?
-The name/names of caller would be revealed?
-There’s information pertinent to the investigation on it?
- Caller is naming a potential suspect or suspects?
- It is so scary they do not want to alarm the public?
I know LE is under no obligation to release the call, however as others have said generally the 911 call is released early in an investigation.

A couple quick thoughts, but there could be several reasons, as you mentioned:

Mainly #2, “There’s information pertinent to the investigation on it”. The call may possibly mention specific details LE does not want the public to know relating to the crime scene itself and the victim(s), say hypothetically for example their positioning, or something little that maybe only the killer would know, like if the bedroom door was closed, as a hypothetical example, but basically certain details. LE will want to have very specific control over what is public information, and not public information.

Also, #1, if the phone was passed around (I’m not sure if that’s been confirmed but I heard something about that in the beginning as being a possibility, if not applicable then disregard), then they may not want it released who else was there when the call was made. (If this information has been released then disregard.) LE protocol would also be to interview these persons separately, not only to make sure their stories match up, but also make sure they don’t relay/confuse details or are influenced in any way based on what someone else says. They may also want to do follow up interviews, and not only possibly protect their privacy, and safety, but keep them out of the spotlight so the media, etc. doesn’t get to them. They may have been advised not to discuss details with anyone.

I apologize if this has been posted, but some insight re locks that I hadn’t seen before (article is from November 18.)

"When I would go there, the code wouldn't be activated, so we could just open the door and get in."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theonce-ler