ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question I have is what was the order of the murders? Unless all 4 of them were the target, which is possible, then I think which ever couple of students was killed first was probably NOT the target. Why target more people than you have to unless you dislike them all?

Based on what I have read, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were up late calling a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend. This may have meant that their light was ON longer than Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin, but you would have to look at the exterior of the house at night and also try to determine by each group's movements within the home whether or not one couple turned OFF the light and went to bed earlier than the other couple. It does not prove anything, but it could help explain the killer's movements within the home and come closer to understanding the truth about what happened that night.
We do not yet know the order of the murders. It will answer a lot of questions when we do find out, and will clear up the "targeted" confusion. We still do not know if the students were the target, or if the residence was the target.

I am trying to get caught up on the posts. Would someone please give me the link to the latest news conference with the Chief? Thanks!
All Moscow Police correspondence to the public can be found on page 1 of this thread. A short interview with the chief from today can be found a page or two back from your post.

Absolutely.

In another interview I shared he said something like "doing things right at the beginning sets you up for success".

He was referring to handling the crime scene at the beginning.
I think they have something from the crime scene like a print or DNA and it matches to the car somehow. They've someone in the crosshairs.

I've read that 50% of homicides have an arrest after 10 days and 2/3 by a month. So we're closing in on a month
RBBM

I don't know your source for 50% & 2/3 but I did find this:

There’s a nearly 40 percent chance you’ll get away with murder in America
The police’s solve rate is even worse for other crimes.

<snip>

I’m not saying that no thefts of Hyundais have ever occurred, but I do wonder if an epidemic of car thefts might be slightly exaggerated here. I’m definitely not saying it’s impossible the car was stolen, I’m just somewhat hesitant to believe that there is actually a huge number of people doing this “TikTok challenge.”

Follow any of the scanner accounts for major cities (SpotNews or ChicagoScanner for Chicago, OmahaScanner for Omaha, etc.) and you'll realize while it may not all be TikTok challenge related, there are many nights they're relaying 5-12+ a night and they each only cover small parts of the downtown area and that's with them updating less due to encryption causing some zones to be relayed 30-60 minutes delayed.

It's absolutely a major issue at least in the large cities I follow closely - Kias and Hyundais specifically.

Just for Cook County Chicago:

Kia, Hyundai thefts soar 767% in July as auto theft phenomenon hits Cook County, sheriff says

The sheriff’s office said in a statement that there were 642 Kia and Hyundai thefts in the county last month, up from 74 in July 2021.

Last edited:
After seeing the car in question and path to the house
least amount of lighting and cameras
I also kind of think killer called cops on "drunken disturbance" to keep whatever cops were on patrol distracted
At first, I thought why wouldn't the perp just call something in further away from the crime? But actually, it makes sense because the responding officer to the disorderly would likely be the nearest officer that would be driving around patrolling the area and most likely to drive by the house.

They could have even listened to the police scanner and began their attack after hearing that someone was responding to the scene. The perp may not have considered the police body cam footage could see them from over there considering how oddly the house is situated. MOO.

Completely anecdotal, but I knew someone in college who was the kind of person who had "concerning behavior" and eventually goes on to commit a crime. He was a rural hunter, had many of the exact knives that LE believe were used in this crime. He had hung around a group of my friends for a time. He always listened to the police scanner and would even sometimes go drive over and watch what was happening. I found it very odd and creepy. Just creepy vibes. And he did end up in prison for murder. <modsnip - stereotype> Just an observation on a potential profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow any of the scanner accounts for major cities (SpotNews or ChicagoScanner for Chicago, OmahaScanner for Omaha, etc.) and you'll realize while it may not be TikTok challenge related, there are many nights they're relaying 5-12+ a night and they each only cover small parts of the downtown area and that's with them updating less due to encryption causing some zones to be relayed 30-60 minutes delayed.

It's absolutely a major issue at least in the large cities I follow closely - Kias and Hyundais specifically.

Just for Cook County Chicago:
Fully understand this is the case. If you go back and read the last few pages, I was mainly concerned about this being viewed through the lens of a college TikTok challenge. However @human was able to prove the TikTok challenge aspect did not include the years of the Hyundai we are looking for.

I do not doubt cars are being stolen. I doubt it’s a new social trend on TikTok among college students.

They clearly said they do not know the owner of the vehicle. If they did know the owner of the vehicle, they could likely locate the vehicle.

If this was the case, they would know who the owner is. The press release stated they DO NOT know who the owner of the vehicle is.

Look guys, there is technology available to LE that can tell them where a vehicle tag has been spotted immediately. They clearly do not have the owner of this vehicle, or the tag as they stated or they would know where this car has been and when. Here is an article about tag scanners from the Washington area: Police: New license plate cameras 'best technology since DNA'

Here is what perps do to avoid scanners: Crooks print real DMV temp tags to cover up crimes. Where’s the oversight?

Why do we have to make this more difficult than it is? People have asked for information from LE for weeks. Why read any more into it? They don't have the vehicle, the owner, the driver, the tag, or the occupants.
If some of us had the tag, we could find the owner. I can almost guarantee they do not have the owner of the vehicle. (IMHO)

My ONLY problem w/ their statement is that they put no limit on where they want this info to come from. Meaning, what states do they want tips of a white elantra. Maybe that was purposeful, I don't know.

Link for source: King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID
I am guessing with this town's proximity to WA, OR and Canada they don't want to unnecessarily narrow the search area.

MOO, The Hyundai they are looking for was probably identified on a doorbell cam or something. They've probably already spoken to the person driving the car in the bodycam footage. This leads me to believe they will solve it. Being able to identify a car is huge, stolen or not-- it's something to track.
I keep at least 6 months or so of video history that my cameras capture of the street and my neighbors' houses just in case!

INTERVIEW WITH CHIEF FRY

8th. December.

Reporter - First, start by explaining why this search for this white vehicle?.

Chief - So, we have information of a white vehicle that was in the area either, during the time frame of the homicide or around the time frame of the homicide, and we're just wanting to talk to the individuals who were in that vehicle. They may have some valuable information for us and we're looking for a 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra. So any assistance you can give us, anybody that owns one, anyone that knows of someone who owns one or may have been driving one, if you could get a hold of us through our tip line or call us directly, we'd appreciate that.

Reporter - This bodycam image and the white car - Is this the white car Investigators are looking for?.

Chief - So, the bodycam image that is out there, from an officer who was on a call with alcohol offence, does have a white vehicle in it. This is not the vehicle that we were looking for. So, we wanted to clear that up with all news media.

Reporter - And finally, the tip line, the process - What do you want to tell the public about that?.

Chief - So, the tip line now will go to an FBI call centre. We've done that because we started receiving many, many tips and that call centre can categorise those and they can send those tips back to the investigators so we can follow up and make sure that we continue with our investigation.
I find it interesting that he said “individuals” in the car. If multiple people were involved typically one would crack by now unless they are all gangbangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatcrimewriterchick