ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I'm not buying with regards to the several late night calls to the ex-boyfriend (could LE be playing possum saying the calls are not suspicious with their earlier presser).....

10 calls go unanswered? Not acknowledged at all?!? when pretty much every person at that age eats, sleeps and breathes their cell phone (yes even checking it from your bedside table drifting in and out of sleep).

The whole late night call situation just reeks to me. I wonder what was really happening through those 15min in question.
I disagree. When I was her age I would ignore late night phone calls if I didn’t want to deal with it (didn’t want to talk, knew it was a drunk dial etc). So I don’t feel I can make any judgments on this

Another thing I'm not buying with regards to the several late night calls to the ex-boyfriend (could LE be playing possum saying the calls are not suspicious with their earlier presser).....

10 calls go unanswered? Not acknowledged at all?!? when pretty much every person at that age eats, sleeps and breathes their cell phone (yes even checking it from your bedside table drifting in and out of sleep).

The whole late night call situation just reeks to me. I wonder what was really happening through those 15min in question.
He could have had his phone turned off/on do not disturb. He could have been passed out. He may have not wanted to talk to her. Especially given that her sister said this was normal behavior, he may have been used to ignoring such calls if he didn't want to deal with them. IMO the late night phone calls are a non issue and serve only to establish when they were still alive and awake. MOO

Edit-spelling, and also if he is anything like my kids of that age, he doesn't answer phone calls ever!

Last edited:
He could have had his phone turned off/on do not disturb. He could have been passed out. He may have not wanted to talk to her. Especially given that her sister said this was normal behavior, he may have been used to inviting such calls if he didn't want to deal with them. IMO the late night phone calls are a non issue and serve only to establish when they were still alive and awake. MOO
I agree. People keep saying this is weird but it was also 2:30 in the morning.

This is also my theory: BBM
It came to a head that night.
"If it was revenge, it could have been anything, but my first hunch is that a narcissistic incel fantasized a relationship with one of the girls and then decided to punish her for rejecting or ignoring him."

JMO
If he decided to punish her then why did he also kill 3 other people? If he wanted all of "them" (pretty girls) dead then why did he spare the other two?

I just think there really should be a label for these guys.
It's the mindset, to me. If the only difference between a one-off and serial killer is that the perp got enough fulfillment from one crime that his urges were satiated for good, or if he was caught before he could practice his depraved interests again, it strikes me that it's still the exact same mindset.

Why can I hear Talking Heads' Psycho Killer playing in my mind?
Jeffrey Dahmer was able to control his urges for nine years after his first murder, although he fantasized during that time.

I've always thought most murderers, especially serial killers, have APD. Most people would call them psychopaths or narcissists.

LE has said that there was something at the scene that led them to believe the killings were targeted. I am really struggeling to think of what that could be, but hasn't led them to the identity of the killer.
Stabbing are personal to begin with but this sound like more.

22 November

Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said that it was not possible to determine from the injuries the order in which the four victims were attacked but said the autopsies showed the killings were “personal”.

November 17th

BOISE, Idaho — Update: The Latah County Coroner tells CBS that the killings seemed "personal." The autopsy revealed that a large knife appears to be the murder weapon, but it is not clear who was killed first.

This is not that weird. I can see how it might seem like a huge mystery for folks unfamiliar with how different websites might work, but it does not surprise me that LinkedIn would hide the profile of a victim in a high profile murder. My bet is that it is hidden, not actually deleted and any messaging you would find going to that link would probably not make that distinction. It’s probably just a LinkedIn policy - official or unofficial.

Could LE request the removal? Sure, but they can’t do it themselves. Neither can the company she worked for / was about to work for. That’s not how it works.

As far as the “active” indicator on the profile , it’s possible that the interval between log in and that green button disappearing is quite long. It’s also possible that her profile was cached for her sister from visiting it previously when she was actually active on the site. Working in the industry this does not surprise me or seem odd in the slightest.
I understand, still found it somewhat interesting considering Maddie Mogen's profile is still there.

So common motives for murder and how they would apply to this case.

Motive

Drugs-Sure they probably partake in typical college recreational drug use. Smoked a bit of weed most likely. That not likely to lead to this type of crime. Not like they were drug kingpins.

Sex- With attractive women you always have to consider as motive. No sign of rape or sexual assault though. Could be killer who gets sexual thrill out of the kill though.

Money-Broke college kids so not likely they have much cash. But people get killed for what would amount to chump change.

Jealous- Someone was jealous of there popularity and social status. Maybe some incel who was jealous they they had what he did not.

Revenge-They pissed off the wrong person.

Random Serial Thrill / Killer-Ted Bundy type killer. Like when he committed coed murders in Florida

Which motive do you think is more likely? Or another motive you like more?

I'd be careful about using "attractiveness" as a quality that inspires murders or puts women more at risk. Being extroverted and having lots of contacts is a higher risk factor than sitting in the library studying and having few friends, IMO, but both types of women can be attractive. IMO. I think you're referring more to the fact that at least two of the victims had some Instagram content where they presented themselves in a specific way, considered attractive (apparently) by many young men who then followed them (cyberstalking would be a subset of this one).

Sex therefore needs some sub-categories (fetishes; obsessions; sexual sadism; sexual dysfunction such that ordinary sexual performance is lost and violence is now the substitute, etc).

I have some things to add to your list (I am on a Thrill Killer rabbit hole right now, but it's not my top group of hypotheses):

Secrets that might be about to be told that could be life-changing for the person who commits the murders (or persons). I suppose this could be a version of revenge - but in my hypothesis, it's more cover-up than revenge and possibly occurred merely because of fear, rather than retaliation. It's a preventative measure.

Fear of Abandonment/Rejection/Social exclusion. This can include public humiliation, feeling disrespected in one's own social world, etc.

Revenge can be expanded too - angering the wrong person translates into "angering a person with conduct issues and impulse control issues" at the very least - investigators are likely asking the many people they're interviewing about such a person. I like this theory because it's consistent with what I see LE doing (interviewing tons of people, asking for context, and then saying they see "patterns") Naturally, a vaguely antisocial person with no previous criminality (despite previous antisocial behavior) who also has impulse control issues or is known to be aggro would be a prime suspect.

I suspect that more than one of these are at play at the same time, which is one reason it's so hard to figure out what happened (for us and for LE, but I do believe LE has a specific POI in mind).

Stabbing are personal to begin with but this sound like more.

22 November

Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said that it was not possible to determine from the injuries the order in which the four victims were attacked but said the autopsies showed the killings were “personal”.

November 17th

BOISE, Idaho — Update: The Latah County Coroner tells CBS that the killings seemed "personal." The autopsy revealed that a large knife appears to be the murder weapon, but it is not clear who was killed first.
Just keep in mind this is the Latah County Coroners FIRST homicide by stabbing.

After watching Chief Fry’s latest update, it makes me think they are about to arrest someone. He didn’t ask for more tips to keep coming. He thanked everyone for the help that was given them.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the arrest quietly takes place while the media is busy over at the house while it’s being cleaned. Obviously, just my thoughts, all MOO.

After watching Chief Fry’s latest update, it makes me think they are about to arrest someone. He didn’t ask for more tips to keep coming. He thanked everyone for the help that was given them.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the arrest quietly takes place while the media is busy over at the house while it’s being cleaned. Obviously, just my thoughts, all MOO.

I have a gut feeling it's one of the people alluded to indirectly here and elsewhere.

Not even going to put in their initials.

Fingers crossed that LE has their suspect....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici