ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 40 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for folks familiar with academic research in the social sciences. I see that BK began his study (on Reddit) after he graduated with his MA from Desales and before moving to Washington State for his PhD. With three months between programs, does that seem like a reasonable timeframe to begin a new research project with his alma mater?
Yeah and I think often the inspiration is fresh for new avenues of research, even new research questions that emerged from the Master's level research.

Yep, I didn't think he'd still be in school. I figured he'd be a grad student who might be "in and out" of his unit-bearing program (but BK was registered at a different school during Fall and had registered for Spring). My point was that he was "interstitial" or "liminal" to U of I - and I was right about that. I was also picking that age group (grad student age group/passing as grad student) because that's where my own theories led me.

And, I didn't want to accuse all grad students, anywhere. I still think we'll find that he was on the campus of U of I several times and my theory that he was not a student there is correct. I wonder if he was able, in any form, to meet U of I students. While my theory included the idea that he might be living surreptitiously on campus of U of I (totally wrong there), I also theorized that he would be using the U of I library, its computers, perhaps sports facilities, etc., in an effort to hang out with younger students. I also theorized that he'd attempt to use his status as an older student to influence/get to know younger students in some way (hang out at their parties, talk to them at the gym, go to the bars in town). And I theorized that he would eventually be shown to have committed other, more minor crimes (but that he has no criminal record).

IOW, he was a lurker at U of I. And at WSU, he was probably engaged in lots of thinking about his future crime - but he chose to do it away from his primary place of residents. Frankly, he made enough mistakes that I think he wasn't quite paying attention to his criminology classes (although, as far as we know, his undergrad degree was in something else, maybe psychology).

AFAIK, DeSales has no program in criminology and his advisors there were in the department psychology.

IMO.

Good ideas, and I think there’s an element of wanting to commit and get away with a newsworthy crime, perhaps envisioning himself as a criminal genius or mastermind. (Aside: Dude, Crime 101, don’t drive your own or a family member or friend’s car.)

I suppose that I could Google, but I know that there are some members with actual LE background here so I’m asking the experts. Why doesn’t extradition to another state happen ASAP?
Well, I guess that depends on what you mean by ASAP. He has been arrested on a warrant from another state. He has committed no crime that we know of in PA. He was brought to a judge within hours of his arrest. The extradition process has started. If he waives extradition, he will be in ID very quickly. If not, it will take a bit of time to work through the process. It isn't complicated really, but Court dockets are crammed and you have to coordinate schedules of Court, prosecutor from state asking for extradition, defense counsel, etc. Even then, it wont take more than a few weeks at most.

Absolutely!
I say this because I worked at a prestigious university and on a daily basis came into contact with the doctoral students, besides having dated 3 or 4 of them, they were for the most part extremely socially awkward and emotionally blank upon meeting, but make no mistake - intellectually arrogant, aloof, and considered themselves intellectually superior to most everyone. Imo this suspect is going to try to outwit everyone at every step along the way - because that was his MO during his lifetime, his great control over his intellectual and academic prowess. I think he was praised for his intellect by family and those who knew him - but also a great intelligence in one area of a person's development that a person can get attention for can overshadow a lacking in another area - think emotional intelligence - that they need help developing - there is a theory of multiple intelligences that posits this - worth a look!

Nick Mcloughlin, 26, who was friends with Kohberger in high school and vocational school, and had been following the Moscow murders, told The Daily Beast he was floored to see Kohberger had been arrested.

He described Kohberger as a “down to earth” member of his friend group who was overweight when they graduated junior year. But at the start of senior year, Kohberger was “thinner than a rail” and turned “aggressive,” he said. He’d also picked up a new hobby: taking boxing classes.

“He always wanted to fight somebody, he was bullying people. We started cutting him off from our friend group because he was 100 percent a different person,” Mcloughlin said.

Asked what might have contributed to the change that summer, Mcloughlin said, “We have no idea.”

FWIW, Steptoe Village apartments are off campus. I attended parties there in the late 70's when I attended WSU. They were not considered campus housing. Families as well as older students tended to live in those apartments. I do not believe this has changed. Just adding that younger students could also live there, those not into a dorm or Greek living.
has it changed since then?

NY Post has an article where a relative described him as "extremely OCD with eating habits"

“His aunt and uncle had to buy new pots and pans because he would not eat from anything that had ever had meat cooked in them. He seemed very OCD [obsessive-compulsive disorder].”

What's next, WaPo puts out an article on his bowel habits?

Someone knows how long the survey had been up - but the professor who approved it has spoken out. This article doesn't mention when BK left the program, and says "late 2010's" but another article (which I can't find right now, so MOO) says BK left DeSales in 2014 (there's a video of his graduation event - it's been posted several times).

ANYWAY, yes, I DO believe his program of study was designed to both indulge and quell his inner life. Initially, by studying psychology and trying to be a psychologist (community college level), he was hoping to fix himself. But it turns out to be very difficult for anyone (including psychologists) to "fix themselves" when they have a seriously disordered brain/mind.

I do hope someone studies this guy. I think he's the type who would love to write a book in prison (ghost written).

It's still absolutely bizarre that he killed four students to whom he had to have been either a stranger or almost a stranger. I think there's some kind of message in his crime. I can't even imagine the interior of his mind, though.
Do you think he practiced in some way, at the very least some B&E ? I find it hard to believe he went from nothing to a nighttime entering home and murder of 4 people.

What is a professional student? And what program are you in that requires a federal background check? That is unusual, to put it mildly.
Professional school includes med school, vet school, law school… if I remember correctly, those of us who had spent our lives in state only needed a background check for that state, but those of us from other states or who had attended undergrad out of state had to complete a federal/national background check.

good Q
maybe he go his MA for other research and this was a side project IMHO
On BK's post of his research project recruiting participants, he says that his research project has passed the Institutional Research Board (IRB) at DeSale University. The IRB at each university is responsible for approving research projects in relation to state, federal and institutional policies related to research involving human subjects, ethical issues, etc. as defined mostly by the federal government for research. So he claims his project had IRB approval.

Someone knows how long the survey had been up - but the professor who approved it has spoken out. This article doesn't mention when BK left the program, and says "late 2010's" but another article (which I can't find right now, so MOO) says BK left DeSales in 2014 (there's a video of his graduation event - it's been posted several times).

ANYWAY, yes, I DO believe his program of study was designed to both indulge and quell his inner life. Initially, by studying psychology and trying to be a psychologist (community college level), he was hoping to fix himself. But it turns out to be very difficult for anyone (including psychologists) to "fix themselves" when they have a seriously disordered brain/mind.

I do hope someone studies this guy. I think he's the type who would love to write a book in prison (ghost written).

It's still absolutely bizarre that he killed four students to whom he had to have been either a stranger or almost a stranger. I think there's some kind of message in his crime. I can't even imagine the interior of his mind, though.
On Friday, December 30, DeSales University learned of the arrest of Bryan Kohberger in connection with the murder of four University of Idaho students. Kohberger received a bachelor’s degree in 2020 and completed his graduate studies in June 2022. As a Catholic, Salesian community, we are devastated by this senseless tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims' families during this difficult time.

I wonder if he left town shortly after, raising suspicions?

After that, he would be easy to trace.

"Yeah, there's a guy with an Elantra, but he left town"
I speculated early on that he left right after the murders and the other students leaving for the Thanksgiving break and didn't come back. I also thought he hid the Elantra in a garage or remote location.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member