ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 41 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep responding to me that most people don't follow crime and I understand that, but this is on CNN, Fox News, NPR. My own husband, who does not follow crime or "popular" news, heard about this case on the radio driving to work.

I bring it up because just today in the car I found out about the PC because the news on the car radio mentioned it. This isn't a niche story, it's super weird. And it's relevant to the core older demographic of media viewers since many people have children or grandchildren this age.
It may be all over the news and on the radio..... but there are a lot of people who do not watch TV, who do not listen to the radio. I would say over half of my friends never watch TV news, they for sure don't listen to the radio. A lot of people now days watch streaming services/movies, most never turn on a radio, I have friends from age 35 to 75 and they only watch Netflix or other streaming services, and rather than radio they listen to albums/streaming services/etc.

This case feels very similar to the PhD student at University of ILlinois, Brandt Allen Christensen, who murdered another U of I student in 2017, Yingying Zhang. Christensen was a teaching assistant with no prior record. Law enforcement found video images of his vehicle and tracked him down through identifying the owner of the car. He is serving a life sentence.
I remember this. I live in Illinois, weird they’re both U of I’s

Do you know Bryan in real life? With all due respect, i get the vibe you do. No offense, and it's ok if you don't feel like answering
I think this is it, though not sure on the "incel vibe" comment. Don't see how one can come up with that just from a picture.

That being said, I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he coerced someone else to commit the murders while he observed and then maybe got caught up and joined in or something. Or, at the very least, solicited help. I think that if the "have you arrested anyone else" could be telling. Sure, he could be attempting to introduce reasonable doubt, but I think without a murder weapon, full confessions with details known only to the murderer, or sort of accomplice turning on him, there is already a non-zero amount of reasonable doubt potentially. If he really did preplan this in advance, and is intelligent and spent 4+ years studying criminology, I am not confident this will be a slam dunk case. Perhaps he is legit trying to get away with murder and part of that plan WAS getting caught eventually and then using the legal process as his challenge. Perhaps this is all wrong, but I don't think it is any more or less plausible based on anything else we know at the moment.

Just repeating the point to hold your hippogriffs:
MOO: Yes, he did a phd in criminology. Yes he ended up murdering 4 people. No, this does not mean that he killed due to his interest in crimes. It could still be a very emotional crime, even. We know nothing of his connections to any of the victims.
Imo, if you think about it, it is way more likely that he had interest in criminology, because he had violent thoughts or fantasies.
Also a personal anecdote. I studied a disease in my PhD. I also have that disease. But I contacted that disease after I started researching it - it was not connected in any way (I have no family members with that, I am not an obvious risk group for any other reason, literally the opposite). Sounds unlikely at first, but sometimes stuff just happens.

I agree with your theory. I feel like BK was finding out firsthand the information he wanted others to provide to him regarding criminal activities. He would have reviewed criminal case studies which most likely would have included serial killers, mass murders, planning a murder, etc. Either his desire to carry this out was just simmering in his mind for a long time or he became obsessed with his research to find out for himself.
He would have planned this and as you said kept tabs on his intended victims, but the fact that 2 people where not attacked makes me think he had certain victims in mind or only knew about the 4 victims that were killed.
It would be interesting to see CCTV to find out if his car was caught around the victim’s’ apartment leading up to the attack.
It will also be interesting as this unfolds to find out if he had any interaction or relationship of any kind with the victims.

Can someone explain why it there is so much emphasis in media stories about BK that he was an ultra-vegan and a Libertarian? Do Libertarian vegans murder people often or something? I mean, seriously?

No idea why they’d emphasize that he’s a Libertarian. But in my opinion, it’s extremely significant that he was an ultra-vegan—for six weeks we’ve been hearing non-stop speculation that he was a hunter, because, you know, they kill animals. And they have knives!

So, there’s great irony there, and great opportunity for us to learn.

MOO

I am so behind and trying to catch up. If he did indeed ask if they had made other arrests, he may have an an accomplish. Have you seen anything about him taking boxing lessons in high school?
Hello!

No I have not heard anything about boxing. Was it discussed?

As for the response to officers : “have you arrested any one else?” upon arrest it is discussed here.

News nation interview.

I can't stop thinking about the surviving roommates being publicly identified with first and last names and clear pictures of them everywhere online, including in MSM, and the horrible things said about them. I hope they're getting lots of help.
It was really sobering to see how many people and outlets got caught up in creating or parroting baseless rumors, some directed at people who are barely of voting/drinking age. I'm going to call out a couple right here: Joel Waldman, "Emmy award-winning broadcast journalist" and Fil Waters, "legendary homicide detective" (bylines theirs). I hope they and others are experiencing a bit of embarrassment right about now, and that they'll be more mindful in the future.

Ok fair enough. I still think it's unusual.

I'd just fly and enjoy my time off
Unless you were, uh, thinking it might be a good moment to get your Elantra out of Moscow???!!!
I hear your point though and I agree, if I lived in NE PA and had chosen to go to grad school in Western Washington, I’d fly for sure, though it is a beast of a flight/drive. Hour and a half drive to Spokane, at least six hours to Newark NJ (EWR) if you hit the connection perfectly and that’s rare, and then at least two hours drive to Effort, PA, best case. This is more likely a 12-24H undertaking even flying. In an underlying way this brings up something I don’t know if we’ve talked about, which is - why WSU? Desales isn’t blow-the-lights-out academically (source link: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/desales-university-3986), but he was Dean’s List there (source link: Dean’s List for Spring 2019: Traditional Undergraduate Students). Why WSU for PhD track? Unconventional choice, geographically.

On this day where the two best friends are to be honored and their lives celebrated, I’m grateful for this arrest . I wonder if LE purposely waited for this day. ( okay, just me being fanciful). I’m also relieved (and sad) for the many side victims of speculation and doxxing. Let’s all light 5 candles thus evening. 4 for the beautiful lives lost and 1 for the family and friends left to grieve.

It may be all over the news and on the radio..... but there are a lot of people who do not watch TV, who do not listen to the radio. I would say over half of my friends never watch TV news, they for sure don't listen to the radio. A lot of people now days watch streaming services/movies, most never turn on a radio, I have friends from age 35 to 75 and they only watch Netflix or other streaming services, and rather than radio they listen to albums/streaming services/etc.

None of my friends have heard of this case or the search for the car or anything. We are on the East Coast and they have zero interest in true crime or really, news in general.

I wonder how they got his DNA to compare to DNA at crime scene? Follow him around until he threw away a cup he was drinking out of?
There was a cold case out of Iowa that was solved by familial DNA. When they narrowed it down to 3 brothers they followed all 3 of them around and collected DNA. The guilty brother threw a straw away at a restaurant and detectives scooped it up. Definitely not unheard of.

Don't know if already mentioned, but there is a reasonable possibility that with his age (late 20s), reported affect, and abrupt behavioral changes (OCD, etc) that he had a psychotic (schizophrenic) break. Tends to manifest in the mid to late 20s in young men.

My opinion.

A part of me is astonished this wasn’t someone more acquainted with the victims…
Do we know anything about his connections to the victims? Afaik, there is no info - for all we know he is the high school ex of one of the victims. Unlikely, yes, but too early to rule out a very personal motive.

Which LE would be processing it in Pennsylvania? Also, I wonder how it would be transported back to Idaho?
Just a guess here, but being that it is in another state will the FBI handle that? I don’t know the answer I just knew that when state lines are crossed it changes the dynamics.

Well he better start like baloney sandwiches

Outhouse? There's a joke to be made about entering an outhouse to with the intent commit a crime but Ill leave it alone, LOL
OUTHOUSES. Buildings adjoining to or belonging to dwelling-houses.
2. It is not easy to say what comes within and what is excluded from the meaning of out-house. It has been decided that a school-room, separated from the dwelling-house by a narrow passage about a yard wide, the roof of which was partly upheld by that of the dwelling-house, the two buildings, together with some other, and the court which enclosed them, being rented by the same person, was properly described as an out-house: Russ. & R. C. C. 295; see, for other cases, 3 Inst. 67; Burn's Just., Burning, II; 1 Leach, 49; 2 East's P. C. 1020, 1021. Vide House.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname