ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole thing is bizarre to me, a grown man driving his Mother's car, and his Father flying out to accompany him home, and getting his adult son's car serviced? I'm wondering if they knew of more than the struggles we've heard of so far, and helicoptering their adult son?
Lots of parents allow adult children still in school to drive cars registered to mother or father. Insurance is expensive. I have 2 cars. When I added the newer car, it only increased my insurance by $400 per year and I kept full comprehensive (collision) coverage. From the family’s point of view, a full-time grad student is still a “student.” It would seem likely that they were proud he was doing a doctoral program and wanted to help in any way they could, especially if he seemed to be turning around from earlier behavioral or health issues.

I was in my 40s when I finished my Ph.D. I had worked both a full and part-time job during my master’s work and during the doctoral years had either a teaching or research fellowship, which I supplemented with picking up part-time research or tutoring that can be out there for enterprising students. I took the last summer off to write the dissertation and moved out of a roommate situation to concentrate on my work. My mother co-signed a loan (which I paid back) sent me $125 per month to “help out“ until I got a full-time job in the fall. That was a huge help and not “helicoptering” in any way. She was prone to a lot of snide “perpetual student” comments but she helped out as much as she could.

Many people start Ph.D. programs but don’t finish because 2-3 years of poverty is pretty brutal. It helps to have a spouse or parents as a safety net. And it took me a lot longer to finish because I was always looking for additional work to pay the bills. When i did take a full-time job, it didn’t pay a whole lot more than I earned from a research fellowship plus adjunct teaching plus whatever else I could get paid to do. In my program, we had a grad student association with a little budget; we often held events at the end of the month that included food (bagels, cheese, fruit) because in the week before payday, people were food insecure. None of this may apply to BK but in general, getting a Ph.D. Is hard work and living on a grad stipend (which also provides tuition) isn’t easy. The value of an assistantship or fellowship can be high because of tuition but what grad students live on is often lower than minimum wage.

I understand what you are saying, but I almost find it scarier that somebody with the capacity to brazenly walk into a house and brutally butcher four people could then return to their daily life, including going to class, grading papers, driving across college country with dad. He wasn’t a violent drifter who happened to pop up. He is a cold, calculating predator who can blend in. IMO
Well, that's the whole point at hand....any regular looking person can be someone capable of a horrific crime. The boogie man isn't always someone outright scary looking. We want to be able to easily be able to identify a scary person for our own reassurance. But the fact is, we cannot...and that is the real scary part.

I’ve posted about how strongly I feel that with the DNA they gathered from their discarded items on their cross-country trip, they had their match before they ever even arrested him. And now they have a parents house, his apartment, the car and his workplace to examine all the physical evidence as well as the digital. But, do you think it’s possible that he used things available to him from school to clean up?

I don’t know anything about the chemicals use etc., but, we have all heard of Luminol being used to light up any blood that can be found in say his apartment or car, which there absolutely would be. But could he have taken luminol from the lab at school to use it at his house and his car to help him know where to clean up? Is it possible that he could’ve, and the whole month that he had before he left to go back to PA, clean up so thoroughly that he got rid of most of the evidence? I’m presuming that he dumped the knife & the clothing he was wearing in the hours after the murders where he had all that time before the bodies were even discovered.

It’s an horrifically frightening thought. Is that even possible?

Poking around Pocono Mountain news reports the summer before BK left for WA. Looked for unsolved burglaries, especially with knife reported stolen (found none) and unsolved animal mutilations (just in case BK was “practicing.”)
Found one of those from 7/19/22. Will not quote details but link is below if you want to have a look. If you don’t, scroll on by.

In sum: Authorities are looking for a car leaving the area of Willowbrook Rd in Catasauqua in Lehigh Valley near a warehouse (there is an HVAC supply nearby, according to Google Maps, so maybe that is the warehouse?) around 2:30am on Saturday. Dog found mutilated. They do not think that whatever happened to the animal happened at that location. The location is half an hour or better from BK’s home and in another county, so probably not related.

Has anyone else been poking around similarly? Anything to report?

Article: Officials investigating torture of dog found in Lehigh County

I doubt most people wouldn't notice hubcaps unless they were really unusual or one was missing, much less use them to identify a model year. Plus, he doesn't make much money. If he were going to spend money to make it harder to identify him, I think there are alot of things he spend it on that would be more effective than hubcaps. JMO :)
Unfortunately that leaves the police making an error, unless it was crafted to bring in tips yet allay the suspect.
MOO The difference in wheels is enough for many to dismiss the car on their ring camera.

I’ve posted about how strongly I feel that with the DNA they gathered from their discarded items on their cross-country trip, they had their match before they ever even arrested him. And now they have a parents house, his apartment, the car and his workplace to examine all the physical evidence as well as the digital. But, do you think it’s possible that he used things available to him from school to clean up?

I don’t know anything about the chemicals use etc., but, we have all heard of Luminol being used to light up any blood that can be found in say his apartment or car, which there absolutely would be. But could he have taken luminol from the lab at school to use it at his house and his car to help him know where to clean up? Is it possible that he could’ve, and the whole month that he had before he left to go back to PA, clean up so thoroughly that he got rid of most of the evidence? I’m presuming that he dumped the knife & the clothing he was wearing in the hours after the murders where he had all that time before the bodies were even discovered.

Good news is that cleaning blood up also lights up.

I'm leaning towards just because BK said it doesn't make it true on the heroin addiction.
To me, its been fairly clear, in my opinion only, that this was completely made up as a way to seem tough after being away/not seeing someone. I've definitely seen this exact thing done by folks who crave attention, and want to feel above others. If he lost an extreme amount of weight due to illness, or illness related symptoms, it wouldn't surprise me to see him claim it was something he felt was more "alpha" than being 'sick'.

Published: 10:06 PM MST January 1, 2023
Updated: 10:52 PM MST January 1, 2023

According to LaBar, Kohberger's dad had flown into Seattle, to Spokane and then drove into Pullman to get his son and drive back to Pennsylvania during the holiday. It was a planned trip, and LaBar said Kohberger's father told him that nothing was out of the ordinary during the cross-country drive.

LaBar did state the father and son duo were pulled over twice in Indiana during the trip to Pennsylvania. He also said he was not sure who had been driving.

"I don't know whether they were speeding or not or if they were even issued a ticket," LaBar said. "I just know that they were pulled over in Indiana almost back to back. I believe once for speeding and once for falling too closely to a car in front of them."

LaBar has also been careful about the information he elicits from Kohberger, because he is not his defense lawyer for the charges that have been brought against him.

LaBar did tell NBC he informed his client of the various stories and allegations circulating online.

[..]

NBC asked LaBar several questions about Kohberger. Such as if he had been bullying people, if he used heroin and if he was suicidal. LaBar said he could not speak to the bullying but that, in his opinion, Kohberger did not seem to be a heroin user, and there were no obvious signs of drug use or thoughts of suicide.

You know you’re right actually now that I think about it, I'm sure a lot of people would say they are a heroin addict when they aren't.
I do it all the time.
MOO. JMO.
I tend to agree with Mrs. Watson, so far all we have is CA stating BK told her this. What if he found out that was a way to keep a young lady interested in continuing to speak with and spend time with him? One article stated the two spent hours discussing his previous struggles with addiction.

Some women are fixers. Maybe he flippantly said he had a drug issue and had gone to rehab to explain the HS weight loss and something in her response told him she was a sympathetic person. Maybe she gave him lots of positive feedback and strokes for staying off the drugs and that fed his ego in some weird twisted way. "remember that time I asked you to drive me around town after we sat together at that wedding? Well the truth is, I really wanted to score some heroin". I've struggled with addiction. Need attention? Tell CA I am really struggling today and want to use. BAM hours spent on the phone talking him off the ledge. Just speculating here could be so much hooey.

Well, that's the whole point at hand....any regular looking person can be someone capable of a horrific crime. The boogie man isn't always someone outright scary looking. We want to be able to easily be able to identify a scary person for our own reassurance. But the fact is, we cannot...and that is the real scary part.
I was responding specifically to the OP where they say “not so scary after all.”

New York Post link to poem info

This poem to me is not simply lacking tact, troubling or out of line, it is sick and shows a lack of empathy.
Who in the world with a healthy mind would write such a thing to be published anywhere that parents of those children could read?

Those with empathy would write a poem to celebrate their short lives, IMO not help people imagine where they are now

JMO

The poem is written by Kohberger’s sister, Melissa Kohberger, a mental health therapist in New Jersey.

Published: 10:06 PM MST January 1, 2023
Updated: 10:52 PM MST January 1, 2023

According to LaBar, Kohberger's dad had flown into Seattle, to Spokane and then drove into Pullman to get his son and drive back to Pennsylvania during the holiday. It was a planned trip, and LaBar said Kohberger's father told him that nothing was out of the ordinary during the cross-country drive.

LaBar did state the father and son duo were pulled over twice in Indiana during the trip to Pennsylvania. He also said he was not sure who had been driving.

"I don't know whether they were speeding or not or if they were even issued a ticket," LaBar said. "I just know that they were pulled over in Indiana almost back to back. I believe once for speeding and once for falling too closely to a car in front of them."

LaBar has also been careful about the information he elicits from Kohberger, because he is not his defense lawyer for the charges that have been brought against him.

LaBar did tell NBC he informed his client of the various stories and allegations circulating online.

[..]

NBC asked LaBar several questions about Kohberger. Such as if he had been bullying people, if he used heroin and if he was suicidal. LaBar said he could not speak to the bullying but that, in his opinion, Kohberger did not seem to be a heroin user, and there were no obvious signs of drug use or thoughts of suicide.
Until we see that dad’s plane ticket was bought before the murders, I’m staying skeptical about the car trip being “pre-planned.”
Interesting he doesn’t want to speak to the claims of bullying.

If they found his DNA mingled with the blood of the victims, they have him. It is very likely he was cut or scratched as there were defensive wounds on a couple of the victims and stabbings create a lot of blood, making the knife slippery. Nowadays it's all about DNA.

New York Post link to poem info

This poem to me is not simply lacking tact, troubling or out of line, it is sick and shows a lack of empathy.
Who in the world with a healthy mind would write such a thing to be published anywhere that parents of those children could read?

Those with empathy would write a poem to celebrate their short lives, IMO not help people imagine where they are now

JMO
I strongly disagree. I do not see a lack of empathy or the poem as sick. I see a poem about the despair that day at Uvalde caused a nation to feel. It is four lines. It conveys the darkness that settled after the loss of young innocent lives.

Supposedly he’s been “on the ground, facing the wall, not talking” — it will be interesting to see how this plays out when he gets to Idaho.
Im sure they have a camera on him recording 24 hours a day, so maybe he is just facing away from the camera to be defiant or he thinks thats in his best interest. And "not talking" certainly is in his own best interest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member