ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
His attorney ( at this point, pretty sure that will change too) doesn't have any authority-information ... only what an arrested killer has told him. It is going to be so good to read the indictment and probable cause documents. They were relentless in solving this case, which makes my heart sing. Justice seekers- good sleuths. I hope he did have his phone on him (maybe not a logical plan) which is possible ! Enjoy reading your posts... pause for thought !
I'm guessing if he was dumb enough to drive his car to the vicinity of the crime, he was probably dumb enough to leave his cell phone in the car while he did the crime.

On the subject of HVAC, is it possible that the victims had been drugged by a substance in the ventilation system? I haven't followed the case as closely as many (or most) of you, but I can't understand how four people were murdered so violently without anyone hearing them. I get that they had been partying and might have been intoxicated, but were there no screams or sounds of a struggle by any of the victims? I had wondered about carbon monoxide poisoning earlier, and now that I've learned about BK's (alleged) knowledge of HVAC, I can't help wondering if something like this happened. JMO
The county coroner said toxicology won't be relevant. I think carbon monoxide has instant blood markers so they would have some idea of that by now.

I think it was a mix of victims being:
1. asleep and drowsy
2. intoxicated
3. totally in shock (many sober, awake people would be frozen silent in this situation anyway)
4. element of surprise by a fairly large man - only E really stood a chance physically, IMO BK incapacitated them fairly quickly and they were stabbed in a way that they physically were not going to be screaming
5: roommates being in what was a former garage, + living in a party house - so lower level both fairly well insulated, and used to lots of noise. If they were drunk as well they could have slept through it no problem.

Bundy killed multiple in the Chi O house and there were 30+ girls there who heard nothing. I think the movies really overestimate the amount of screaming from a person being stabbed

I am rarely caught up enough to post on this tread but here I am. I keep having this thought.....if LE was on to BK before the cross country road trip with dad, how sure could they be that dad was safe? I keep getting the heebeegeebies thinking about them in a hotel together. I mean....I know it is his dad but kids do bad things to their parents.
it just all sits bad with me. MOO but I am guessing the 2 stops by LE on the way were welfare checks? But how could that ensure dad's safety? I literally get creeped out thinking of his dad sleeping next to him in a hotel room. Yikes. MOO

There are functional drug-addicts, just like there are functional alcoholics.You'd be amazed, nobody would ever guess...
Yes. There are. Or at least somewhat functional. But it is rare, I think. To be a heroin/opioid addict? First, you need money. Second, you need to be able to obtain the drug. Third, people tend to need more and more to get high.

All together, it seems very difficult for someone to maintain a job and get good grades in college under those circumstances.

That being said, this guy is described as being OCD with food, at least. So it is possible he was “disciplined” when it came to drug use and trying to simply maintain.

I’m still stumped on if the dad flew into Seattle then into Spokane, did he rent a car to drive to BK’s apartment? Did BK pick him up and one or both drove to BK’s place?
It's costly to rent a car then drop it off in another city. Or did BCK pick him up in Spokane? Wouldn't they naturally drive east on I90?

Do we think BK knew there were 2 living downstairs? If he did know, why leave them alone?
I have been wondering about this too - one of the main things I'm hoping to get out of a trial or the PCA.

My current theory (IMO) he entered and exited through the slider and simply didn't realize there were 2 downstairs, as basement/garage rooms are rather uncommon. 4 is already a lot to kill so he was ready to get out of there instead of exploring the entire house

I had insomnia this morning and was awake around 4am. I found myself thinking about this case, and reflecting on how vulnerable those four victims were. They were most likely in extremely deep sleep, (any alcohol involved as well? idk), in their own beds, the place most of us feel entirely safe.

To find an intruder on top of you with a huge knife, intent on killing you, when it is completely dark and you have been jolted out of the deepest sleep, it is up there with being one the worst nightmares most of us can imagine.
Insomnia is simply the worst. So Sorry. Hope you got some rest after all. I too, agree with your post. Most of us have closed our eyes and imagined what happened the moment it all went south and all Hell broke loose. There had to be a first person attacked, then a second, and so on. He didn’t dispatch four people simultaneously. So, who was first, and who was last? Did he wait to be SURE he had ended them? I’m hoping the killer reveals this himself, but hold out little hope. BK is proclaiming his innocence after all.

I believe the killer possibly experienced and even may have exhibited signs of insomnia as well. This is not suggesting ANY connection between the ailment and murder - so please don’t come for my jugular! I’m only surmising that he could have experienced insomnia on occasion. Anxiety, stress, insecurities-and possibly a heightened level of OCD could have easily compounded his angst. He committed the crimes at 03:00. He also purportedly went for 7 mile night runs with an old friend. I have a feeling it will get weirder before it gets better. Jmoo

The county coroner said toxicology won't be relevant. I think carbon monoxide has instant blood markers so they would have some idea of that by now.

I think it was a mix of victims being:
1. asleep and drowsy
2. intoxicated
3. totally in shock (many sober, awake people would be frozen silent in this situation anyway)
4. element of surprise by a fairly large man - only E really stood a chance physically, IMO BK incapacitated them fairly quickly and they were stabbed in a way that they physically were not going to be screaming
5: roommates being in what was a former garage, + living in a party house - so lower level both fairly well insulated, and used to lots of noise. If they were drunk as well they could have slept through it no problem.

Bundy killed multiple in the Chi O house and there were 30+ girls there who heard nothing. I think the movies really overestimate the amount of screaming from a person being stabbed
Yes. Many times you hear about terrible crime scenes and only one scream was heard. Or nothing. Or just a “hey, hey, hey!” Like the Simpson/Goldman crime scene.

Poor folks are probably just struggling not to die.

Toolbox. Among clothes in a large box, suitcase. Roof, attic - around beams. Taped to the rear wall of large frame of painting, mirror.
Taped to a concealed wall of a shed or a building, not necessarily inside.
Taped to concealed tree, pole

Taped to the bottom of small cabinet, drawer.
I was just thinking a few minutes ago about where I’d hide a weapon. My first thoughts were to duct tape it somewhere that’s not even really hidden. Like on the inside top of my dresser drawer. Or on top of ceiling fan blade. Lol.

Regarding the speculation on the year of the White Hyundai 2011-2013. I don't think it matters what year it was because someone tipped off LE about the vehicle anyway. As far as it being fodder for defense; LE said along they believed the person/persons who were in the vehicle may have important information regarding the homicides that they themselves may not even be aware of. So, they never said the person/persons were a suspect.

Also, IMO the likely entity that provided the vehicle tip could be the WSU campus police. BK lived in Graduate School housing so very likely the area is routinely patrolled by campus PD.

I have been wondering about this too - one of the main things I'm hoping to get out of a trial or the PCA.

My current theory (IMO) he entered and exited through the slider and simply didn't realize there were 2 downstairs, as basement/garage rooms are rather uncommon. 4 is already a lot to kill so he was ready to get out of there instead of exploring the entire house

Makes sense. If this is the case that he didn't realize there were any other people in the house, it might explain then why he might have taken the time to wash the knife or himself before leaving (don't know if this is the case).

I do believe he will deny it all even through the trial. He seems like a guy that really thinks he is going to outsmart everyone.

Graphic but if a person's throat was slashed first, they can't make a noise..:(
Any full force stab to upper chest with a 8" or more combat knife is very likely to prevent any shout noise from victim. Even a full force punch may.Now there were four victims, so we can't exclude one or more may have been half roused. We simply do not know until we hear from surviving housemates. It is plausible they heard a shout. And it is also plausable that no victim made a noise at all.

Not to be contrary but I think the information you provided relates to Misdemeanor offenses, there may be different rules if that's case, or maybe not. MOO

You scared me, but looking at it again, I think that “Plea in misdemeanors” is its own section, and not related to the sections above, that discuss the timeline after being arrested. So I suspect that you’re right—and felony arrests snd misdemeanor arrests have the same protocols.

There’s also a lot of lawyers’ web pages—I assume they’re fairly accurate. Here’s one that specifically mentions felonies: ‘hearing must generally occur within 24 hours.’

MOO

So let’s go back to the Jack-In-The-Box food bag seen in early pics on the victims porch. There is not a Jack-in-the Box in Moscow that I could find….but there is one in Pullman, WA.

Pure speculation, but did the kids go to Pullman very often to eat or pick up food or to just to hang out with other college kids… and possibly cross paths with BK while up there? When & who went to Jack-In-The-Box? And, I hope the food bag contents were checked for DNA….findings could be helpful. I’m assuming the bag belonged to one of the students, but you never know, it could have been left behind by “someone else” as a little tease for LE.

Also, I’m wondering if LE has further video that they haven’t publicly revealed of the Elantra returning to WA on Nov 13th that correlates with the time line? I think LE has a lot of information that they’ve held close to the vest. As they’ve said all along, they aren’t just looking for an arrest but for a conviction. IMO, BK wouldn’t have been surveilled and subsequently arrested 2500 miles away if LE was not 100% certain they had the right guy. This next week will be very interesting.

The bag plainly has the name "Xana" on the receipt but that just makes me think they used Uber Eats to obtain it. Typically, UberEats drivers pick up more than one order for delivery, and when we use it, the receipt always has my first name on it (and sometimes my last initial, because my name is fairly common - the restaurant itself has to label and stick into the "UberEats" pickup bin).
Possible yes - but the house was surrounded by woods and there are 2K miles between Moscow & PA. He could’ve easily hid the knife in his belongings and then at a rest stop along the way disposed of it in the woods, trash, etc. even if his Dad was with him.

There are so many points along the ID to PA route that unless you have video evidence they stopped somewhere and he was seen doing something that looks like disposing of a knife it’s a needle in a haystack.

I also highly suspect LE has enough evidence to get a conviction without the murder weapon. It’s not 100% necessary in cases like this.
I have chosen to believe they had a tracker on his car AND someone was following him. No way the FBI allowed this perp to go across country and possibly hide evidence near rest stops.

That being said, it might still take some time to check out each place he stopped, but the following cars would have checked trash at each place he stopped, or contacted the owners of the property and asked for trash preservation. This is still a long shot (he likely disposed of the knife back in WA/ID, easy to do). But, I can't accept the idea that LE would allow him a cross country and not do *everything* to find any evidence. Knife may never be found, sadly. I bet they are still looking various places (using local LE) and will keep looking for some time to come if they haven't already found it.

I am still in some kind of state, seeing just how many mistakes it appears this monster made.

There are so many questions about the mechanism or how this crime was committed by one man murdering 3 women and a man, who were sleeping in the middle of the nigiht : when he began stabbing, did anyone scream and wake the others? doesn't seem like it because it appears that he murdered them pretty easily. How could he murder four people without any of the screaming and waking the others- It seems like he carried out the crime with a certain amount of ease. I hate to get graphic but the prosecution has to get graphic and figure out the exact way this crime was carried out. For example while he was stabbing one of the women, did the other wake up? I presume she would have- I can't imagine she didn't try to jump on him or do something to stop him-- just thinking out loud.
Not many people have discussed this issue but it is a huge issue- how exactly did he commit this crime?

I would hope (since he studied criminal science), he's not that dumb.
Anyone who decides to kill others like this has to be somewhat dumb, IMO. Their emotions and desires overcome logic, I think. And once they’re actually committing the crime, or in the process of planning it, it’s hard for them to visualize every detail that could cause them to be caught. Because it’s personal for them. They’re emotionally invested in it.

More simply, anyone who thinks killing others is a solution to their problems or a “fun” thing that they decide they should do, isn’t functioning on a logical level. It’s irrational. (I believe).

P.S. I certainly hope he was dumb!

IMO, the theory of an actual car makes more sense for reasons you stated. It would also explain the addition of 60 more FBI agents added to the case on December 19th. It would make sense, IMO, for them to have a kind of relay race hand-off going on at certain checkpoints to avoid a specific car detail being detected by BK.

ETA date additional FBI agents added
His parents Hyundai comes equipped with BlueLink when it was new. Whether or not they continued with the subscription to keep the Bluelink activated after the trial expired is not known. I know as I have an Elantra from the previous year.
Even if BlueLink expires, it can be reactivated. I had mine reactivated after expiry. This could have been done, I suppose by LawEnforcement, FBI, etc.

I’m guessing he took the knife and clothes for a ride to burn them or dump in water somewhere in the 9 hour head start after.
I see that WSU has a motor pool for WSU employees to use for WSU-related purposes. I wonder if TA's can rent vehicles in the fleet.

If so, BK could have used such a vehicle in multiple ways to avoid detection in relation to the crime:
  • As a vehicle he sometimes used to scout out the area in advance of the crime (so his own vehicle wouldn't be repeatedly spotted in the area).
  • As a vehicle he returned to immediately after the murders to avoid transferring any blood, fiber, DNA, or other evidence from the scene into his own vehicle.
  • As the vehicle he uses to take the knife/clothing/any other evidence to a location for dumping after the murders.

I think it’s possible he heard the police sirens from the other call and decided not to risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaPrirl