ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 46

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if these stops had to do with LE following them on this trip?

yes I did suspect that but further down that link it says this
'Indiana State Police did not return a request for comment asking if they conducted the stops. However, it would appear they were routine traffic interactions unrelated to the murders and not orchestrated by the police unit trailing the two on their road trip.'

so IDK

Key details we hope they release:

relationship to the victims

alleged motive

How the suspect stayed free for 7 weeks

MOO

First time chiming in on the case, but I have been following the threads since the beginning.

• I don’t read too much into him being 28 years old and entering a PhD program. People of all ages attend school, especially PhD programs. However, if you are looking at the bigger picture, it seems that BK has stayed in or near his hometown up until he moved to WA for school. There has not been much reported work history or even dating history, and the car he has been using is registered to his parents. With these details combined one can assume that he has been pretty sheltered, never left his parent’s home, and seriously lacked normal socialization patterns throughout his life. He may have had friends here and there, but from what has been reported, most of the friends report that he was creepy or awkward. Within 2 months of living away from home for the first time, he carries out a gruesome mass killing. Due to this reason, I don’t believe he has carried out a murder before. He needed the space and distance from his family to avoid detection.
  • Obviously, it is hard to speculate the motive or which victim(s) attracted him to 1122 King Road. However, throughout this case, I have constantly thought back to the Jamie Closs case where the perp targeted her because he saw her at the bus stop as he was driving to work one day. I figured that the person responsible in this case was someone who was close by but still out of town, which turned out to be true. It could have been just as simple as he saw one of the victims (likely one of the true housemates) and wanted to act out his desires. What was so special about that weekend? KG was in town, and that might have been the trigger. I suppose we will know more soon. Either way, he was filled with rage for what could have been brewing for a very long time.
  • The crime seems to have been committed fairly quickly, and any obstacles were quickly overcome. The surviving housemates didn’t hear anything, and he was able to flee the scene without being noticed. I believe this took at least one prior occurrence of observing the home and activities of its occupants. I don’t think he just went in there blindly. He might have even known EC was there and attacked him first. Also could have used SM to further track their movements.
  • I am interested to see the information that unfolds in this case.
MOO

SBMFF

The one thing that's come to mind for me is perhaps those sleeping on the 1st floor were safe because he didn't enter the house through the front door, perhaps he entered through the sliding patio door which is on the 2nd floor.

Approved vid showing house layout:
Yes, and in addition to that & the 1st floor having a separate entrance that is not viewable from the back of the house (if that is where he may have watched the house from, where there is an uphill parking area & woods which is a somewhat concealed vantagepoint in an otherwise populated neighborhood), the 2 people living on the 1st floor were younger and "lower classmen" (Freshman IIRC), and so did not have the same longevity or closeness of friendships as the older students living upstairs who were "upper classmen", so they may not have really been part of the same group of the 4 of them that were targeted. JMO

So if X, M & K were not only close enough to eachother to choose to live together in the same house, 2 of them also worked together (X & M), and 1 of their bf's (X's bf E) was a member of a nearby fraternity, and all 3 women were in sororities, 2 of them together in the same sorority (X&M), they seem like they were a tight "gang of 4" who had a lot in common and spent alot of time together. IIRC, the 1st floor housemates were new to the sororities they joined in the Fall of 2022 and were "little sisters" of X, M & K, so didn't necessarily travel in the same circles as the 4 of them on a regular basis. JMO

So if the killer stalked and/or was focused on the 4 of them who spent a lot of time together and were very close, it would be another reason why he didn't care about going after the 2 living on the 1st floor and they were "spared". JMO

I believe if I were being hauled off from my parents' home in the dead of night by LE out of the clear blue and I had done nothing wrong, I would say things like, "Whaaaat?!?!?" "What is this about?" "What's going on?" "I haven't done anything!" "You've got the wrong person!"

I might even say that same stuff if I were guilty. Lots of people do.

What I wouldn't say is something like (allegedly), "Has anyone else been taken into custody?"

What that sounds like to my prejudiced ear is 'Yeah, I did it, I participated, I sure did, but I want you to think, true or not, that I might not be the only one involved. I'm casual; I'm cool. What else you guys got?'

BK didn't scream you've got the wrong person; he asked do you have all the right people (including me)? At least that's how I hear it, but, again, my ear is not objective.

BK may have an enviable IQ but that doesn't mean he can't also be a dodo head at the same time. Or maybe that was a good thing to say strategy-wise, and I just need help to understand why.

However, to me, it appeared he wasn't all that invested in being seen as innocent, and his question came off a bit like an unintentional confession.
IMO That might be why his lawyer said he can't remember that statement. If someone else was there or he knows who committed the crime, he can't say it because that would implicate himself being there participating or to him being an accessory.

<modsnip: Removed reference to social media> ... when I google vegan restaurants using Moscow, the restaurant two of them worked at is the first to come up, and in fact is also among first to come up if I put my location at his school in Washington state. So that is two connections right there.
Oddly, just Restaurants in Moscow Id gets me Mad Greek as top in Google. I think it has just been queried so much it now pops to the top. Google changes the top search selection based on various metrics including searches, per what Google tells the company I work for.

You might try Duck Duck Go and see if it's the same. It's not for me, but might be for you. Lodgepole comes up first for me there.

Last edited by a moderator:
"But what about all the reports of heroin use being the reason, or contributing to, the extreme weight loss? Has that been discounted? I thought it was AFTER he lost the weight is when he changed 180° with his attitude and started doing the running, boxing, and even the bullying, no?"

This^^^ question was brought over from closed thread ....

From my understanding, he lost the weight during summer before his senior year. He did so by running and boxing and so I doubt he was doing heroin at that time.

And he did well with grades in his senior year and continued with running and boxing and was very aggressive towards others. I would suspect the use of meth or similar drugs as opposed to heroin at that time.

But he apparently told others it was heroin---but I am not convinced

[I will go find that article and link it here]

Yes... someone, i believe here on WS, raised the question on heroin vs. meth... Meth would have more to do with weight loss, and strength to commit crime.

?? I really know nothing about the varying effects of either.
Does this make sense to others.. even though it is still only speculation for any of us.

moo

I agree we don't know if it's true, although if some version of it is, what if he's following a script of acting all crazy to force a mental health evaluation that may be to his advantage?
He's going to get a psych evaluation either way just because of the nature of the crimes. His lawyer already said that. I just doubt someone that has from all other accounts acted pretty cold and normal since the date of the murder (which is scary enough?) is going to suddenly make incriminating statements despite having a lawyer who presumably told him not to talk to anyone!

Attacking them in the middle of the night when they were all in bed and likely asleep, quietly, quickly, and brutally (blitz style) with a big knife certainly seems like a huge tactical advantage, with likely anyone waking during the attacks not able to come fully awake and be too shocked to react normally.

However, 1 of the 2 people that were similarly attacked by someone with a knife in bed together in the middle of the night (around 3 am) did wake up and was able to fight their attacker off and survived: Cops probing link between University of Idaho murders and similar Oregon stabbing

In the case of X, E, M & K, since there were 4 of them and they were paired up on 2 different floors but were still possibly within earshot of eachother with open stairwell(s) and it being quiet in the middle of the night, at least X&E likely sharing a bed and possibly M&K, IMO, there would have been a more acute risk that one or more of the 4 could have been awakened in the middle of him stabbing them and/or their bedmate a few feet away, or their friend/housemate sleeping on the next floor. which seems possible based on comments about signs of defensive wounds in at least one of the victims. And in M & K's case, they may not have been in a deep sleep yet if it was indeed them making the 9 phone calls within an hour or so before LE has stated they believe they were killed.

Also, if an HVAC contractor came to their house after the killings, and presumably was ordered to check something with the HVAC system by LE for some reason, it's possible, IMO again, there was some indication from the wounds they suffered and/or where their bodies were found (e.g., people first called to the scene saying something like they'd "never seen anything like it and hope to never see anything like it again") that LE felt that degree of carnage and disarray at the scene isn't likely for the other people nearby to have been able to sleep through without cries/screams for help/calls to 911/running outside for help/or some evidence of semi-successful efforts to fight back, or there should have been time between the attacks on the 2 separate floors for one or more to have done more to try and stop him or call 911.

Which has led to speculation about them maybe all being drugged or gassed/disabled/unable to defend themselves or others nearby or hear what was going on or call for help -- to a degree that is outside the scope of "normal" within the encyclopedia of knowledge of this type of crime scene. For example, what if one upstairs and one downstairs, both of who were bigger and/or stronger than their bedmate and would have been expected to "come to" and try to fight him off suffered fewer injuries and/or had fewer defensive wounds compared to the others? This could indicate even the strongest of them most likely to be able to fight back were incapacitated by some other means beforehand (like being exposed to carbon monoxide) rather than simply being sleepy or in shock.

IMO, "the scream" a neighbor thought they heard around that time was one of them screaming while being viciously attacked or waking & witnessing their bedmate being attacked, even if it's been discounted by some (as a partier screaming or tires screeching) -- I haven't seen it be discounted as "unrelated" by LE, but I could have missed that, or LE is just not saying anything about it at this point to protect the integrity of the investigation.

They're still investigating and putting all the evidence together into a case against the suspect they have in custody with the prosecutorial team until the case goes to trial and they turn over all their evidence pre-trial, I believe, so they'll continue to be keeping mum on all details of the murders, and are doing a fantastic job, IMO. Godspeed to LE, and wishing their loved ones some small measure of comfort that LE has a suspect in custody.
If they were incapacitated, how could they have defensive wounds? There was no 911 call until the next day, whatever anyone might have heard, they didn't deem it significant enough to alert anyone. All is this is incompressible, but it happened. How this all unfolded can only be speculation, unless and until we see the evidence, we don't know and can only surmise.

Attys on ID. “Capital Counsel Roster”???
Pasting this post by @10ofRods (SBM) from previous thread
" ...a death penalty case, the public defender must be a "death penalty certified" public defender (something like that) and that the defendant must have TWO such public defenders.
Apparently Latah County has zero such public defenders. This means some major reassignments of public defenders (from Boise County?) That is, if they decide to go for the death penalty and there is a trial. Surely they will initially file the case requesting the death penalty, as I believe Idaho citizens would expect that (I'm guessing more than half the nation expects it).
I'd love to hear more about this, will try to research."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
@10ofRods
Briefly ID. is not busting at the seams w attys approved by the st Public Defense Commission to defend capital cases.

Not quite so briefly.
QUALIFICATIONS* are set by an ID commission and atty must completd & submit application form** to commission for review and possible inclusion on the st’s “Capital Counsel Roster.”**

HOW MANY on the CCR list? It currently shows ~ 29 attys total (designating them by "Dist. of Resid." not county altho county name may be reflected in some atty's email addresses).
List shows only ~13 attys qualified as "LEAD TRIAL for capital cases, more as "CO-COUNSEL TRIAL."
Seems the limited number of Lead Trial attys could be a bottleneck, but IDK.

Also shows attys for Post-Conviction Relief, but we don't wanna get ahead of ourselves here, do,we?
Also BTW, city of Boise is in Ada County, not Boise County.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise,_Idaho. Who knew?
Hopes this helps.
The American Bar Association’s (ABA) Guidelines for the Appointment and Performance of Defense Counsel in Death Penalty Cases (2003)
The American Bar Association’s (ABA) Supplementary Guidelines for Mitigation Function of Defense Teams in Death Penalty Cases (2008)."

**The application for atty to submit to the commission.

*** Current list ww atty names, etc:
"Capital Counsel Roster
Approved by the Public Defense Commission as of December 15, 2022."

Today is a legal holiday. If there was an emergency hearing on BK's extradition the media would be all over it. What you proposed is possible but IMO not likely, who knows?
What holiday is it?

Attys on ID. “Capital Counsel Roster”???
Pasting this post by @10ofRods (SBM) from previous thread
" ...a death penalty case, the public defender must be a "death penalty certified" public defender (something like that) and that the defendant must have TWO such public defenders.
Apparently Latah County has zero such public defenders. This means some major reassignments of public defenders (from Boise County?) That is, if they decide to go for the death penalty and there is a trial. Surely they will initially file the case requesting the death penalty, as I believe Idaho citizens would expect that (I'm guessing more than half the nation expects it).
I'd love to hear more about this, will try to research."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
@10ofRods
Briefly ID. is not busting at the seams w attys approved by the st Public Defense Commission to defend capital cases.

Not quite so briefly.
QUALIFICATIONS* are set by an ID commission and atty must complete & submit application form** to commission for review and possible inclusion on the st’s “Capital Counsel Roster.”**

HOW MANY on the CCR list? It currently shows ~ 29 attys total (designating them by "Dist. of Resid." not county altho county name may be reflected in some atty's email addresses).
List shows only ~13 attys qualified as "LEAD TRIAL for capital cases, and more as "CO-COUNSEL TRIAL."
Seems the limited number of Lead Trial attys could be a bottleneck, but IDK.

Also shows attys for Post-Conviction Relief, but we don't wanna get ahead of ourselves here, do,we?
Also BTW, city of Boise is in Ada County, not Boise County.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise,_Idaho. Who knew?
Hopes this helps.
The American Bar Association’s (ABA) Guidelines for the Appointment and Performance of Defense Counsel in Death Penalty Cases (2003)
The American Bar Association’s (ABA) Supplementary Guidelines for Mitigation Function of Defense Teams in Death Penalty Cases (2008)."

**The application for atty to submit to the commission.

*** Current list ww atty names, etc:
"Capital Counsel Roster
Approved by the Public Defense Commission as of December 15, 2022."

Yeah, they video interviewed the other inmate in this article and I don't see why she'd have a reason to lie about BCK's behavior.

Boy, howdy, though. This suspect sounds like a real chump. I cannot WAIT until they bring him back to Idaho. Bryan, we are waiting for you. Just remember, here in Idaho we're fair, but firm with our death penalty.
Wow! I just looked up that article. I wonder if he's intentionally setting himself up for an insanity plea or if he's off his reg meds. Btw, is there a way on this site to access what a comment is referring to? I could see who you were responding to but not the full thread, so missed original comment(s).

"We hope ... they picked the right guy"

Well obviously they didn't just 'pick' him.

Yeah, they video interviewed the other inmate in this article and I don't see why she'd have a reason to lie about BCK's behavior.

Boy, howdy, though. This suspect sounds like a real chump. I cannot WAIT until they bring him back to Idaho. Bryan, we are waiting for you. Just remember, here in Idaho we're fair, but firm with our death penalty.
He’s a real winner, huh? I agree, if even this is just a little bit true…just wow.

Speculation on my part:

First I apologize if this has.been discussed. I’m several pages behind the active posts/ page.

I’m reading discussions about the JBOX meal, thinking about DNA, X and E’s timeline, discussions about car with possible DNA inside. Thinking about these pieces lead into this speculation:

Is it possible that BK was driver for food delivery or in some way got X and E into his car to deliver them with the food? Or any combination of the above. Deliver food; deliver food with one victim or both victims. Then possibly waiting around to get into the home later?

He could possibly try to use that as a reason for their DNA in his car, or on the food bag or being near their home.

ALL SPECULATION AND OPINION ON MY PART. Just typing out loud as ‘food for thought’

No need to disagree. Scroll by if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa