ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I think it was license plate -> registry run which pointed back to parents in PA -> license plate run in their system which pointed to BK.

Even if you were to assume that they weren't able to get a clear license plate video (which I believe they did) a car with out of state plates, pulled over in the area, would have immediately been flagged.

Things took off from there.
Agreed! BCK was probably very high on their POI list early on.

These threads are moving so fast! Has anyone posted about the traffic violation that BCK got for not wearing his seatbelt in Latah County in late August 2022? This means LE had the color, make/model of his vehicle + license plate number the entire time.

View attachment 392039

RECORDS SEARCH FOR LATAH COUNTY IS FROM THIS SITE: iCourt | iCourt

Yes -- I recall seeing the citation posted in earlier threads and that he failed to appear to contest and paid the $10 fine online. Thanks also @SRWCF for the iCourt link. Confirming BK has no hearing dates that show at this time.

I know the topic of him possibly being responsible for other stabbings in the area has come up before, so I checked. The 72 year old lady and the couple were all murdered before he moved to WA state. Not to say there are not other crimes that might be linked to him later on, but those specific crimes couldn't have been committed by BK.
Good to know. It is a possibility that the killer could have copycatted those crimes.

But LE have to weigh risk all the time.
If they did not have sufficient evidence to arrest him on the day he set off or felt that allowing him to leave might catch him dumping evidence which they could pick up at as he passed. etc

Sounds really well co-ordinated to me. They knew exactly where he was driving over those 2(?) days while they got all their ducks in a row. Then 4 days surveillance at the home

The ISP pull overs might also have been staged ( FBI in ISP uniforms to get some body cam to double check, if, for example, one of the two was snoozing on the back seat?)

He could drop off on a remote path as you say but they have a plane overhead

Yep, they'd have known exactly where he disappeared on a "dark highway." IMO this dude would not have survived long in the cold north anywhere along that route. Would have needed to be dropped off in a town.

What would the cash even be fore? LE knew who he was and would have had those student pictures of him. Manhunt would have ensued and he would find it increasingly hard to spend that cash on food and lodging. It's not like there are a bunch of Bates Motel type places any more. Every place wants ID and credit card. Sure, he could try and bribe some criminally minded person who wanted his money, but really? How likely would that be and when has it ever happened IRL?

I agree totally with you - no way to just "drop him off." If that was the plan, they should have at least got him a bunch of camping equipment and, well, headed south. Still wouldn't have worked, but if he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory, it would have given him that opportunity for sure. Once his picture was all over national media, he might well have been killed by a frightened citizen (or killed someone as he ran).

But BAU and other profilers had the right idea - no way this particular guy was going to become Grizzly Adams overnight.

I don't know if this has been posted before, but its my first time reading this..

LaBar told Law&Crime’s Angenette Levy that Kohberger spoke with law enforcement for five to 15 minutes at the Pennsylvania State Police barracks following his arrest early last Friday morning.

Initially, Kohberger waived his Miranda rights but then requested an attorney. LaBar said Kohberger told him that police asked his client if he understood what was going on, and he responded by saying something to the effect of “yes, certainly I’m aware of what’s going on. I’m 10 miles away from this.” Then, LaBar said, Kohberger invoked his right to counsel and asked for an attorney.

BBM

Almost as if he thought he could outsmart LE as he thought he did for the past 6 weeks and quickly realized it wasn’t going to be as easy as he imagined.

I think they must have identified him based on the car first, and arrested him shortly after getting DNA results. As I recall, LE was still saying in interviews in the day or two before the arrest that they were still awaiting lab results. MOO

I hope I'm not out of line for saying this...and any resident Defense attorneys on WS...my apologies.

But it's kind of funny seeing the talking heads who are paid to come on and advocate for BKs potential innocence all auditioning to be his defense attorney.

All MOO-

I can’t help but to keep wondering what the motive here was.

I’ve thought about this a great deal over the last week.

As we all know he went to Desales for undergrad and one of his teachers was famed author and expert Katherine Ramsland.

What if he studied what launched Dr. Ramsland career and success. Was envious of her success and wanted to be just like her. She is respected in both academia and in the public for her expertise in criminology and knowledge of the mind of murderers and serial killers. Has worked first hand with some of the worlds most famous killers and researched and written about them.

What if motive for BK is fast track fame and respect from peers, criminology academia and the world for his research and help in investigating the high profile brutal murder of 4 young college students.

<snipped for focus>

I don't think your speculation is far-fetched. I think his studies with Dr. Ramsland and the subject matter of serial killers such as BTK could be very much related to motive in this case. Until we see the PCA, this is similar to the line of thinking that I have related to motive.

Edited to add "snipped for focus"

All MOO-

I can’t help but to keep wondering what the motive here was.

I’ve thought about this a great deal over the last week.

Was he just born a brutal murderer or did he do it just to see if he could after getting caught up and obsessed with murderers and killing through his research and decide he wanted to kill others from this? Was it mental illness triggered? Was it obsession based on envy? Did childhood and years of bullying play a part to knock him over the edge?

I’m interested to hear what others think motive is.

Me personally, after hearing more about him over the last week…. I’m curious if these brutal senseless murders were research and career based.

I know it sounds crazy but hear me out.

As we all know he went to Desales for undergrad and one of his teachers was famed author and expert Katherine Ramsland.

We know from interviews with friends he seems to have struggled to fit in and was bullied often and struggled socially.

He was proud of his intelligence.

Proud of his research and career plans. Took this very seriously.

What if he studied what launched Dr. Ramsland career and success. Was envious of her success and wanted to be just like her. She is respected in both academia and in the public for her expertise in criminology and knowledge of the mind of murderers and serial killers. Has worked first hand with some of the worlds most famous killers and researched and written about them.

Again, hear me out. MOO.

What if motive for BK is fast track fame and respect from peers, criminology academia and the world for his research and help in investigating the high profile brutal murder of 4 young college students.

What if he did this to become the expert on the case? No one could put the pieces together better than the man who committed the mirders.

No one could frame someone better than the person who committed the murders.

No one benefits from knowledge and expertise of these types of murders than a criminology PhD students who is striving to achieve the level of respect and admiration as his former professor. After years of bullying and lack of confidence.

Committing these murders and eventually working himself into the research of them could fast track his career goals. Help him achieve the respect and admiration he so badly desires.

Maybe after committing the murders he realized he forgot some important factors with his mistakes which led to his ultimate capture. But also made it impossible for him to insert himself in the case and research it to become the local case criminologist expert….

I know it sounds far fetched… but when trying to consider a reason for motive that could benefit him in any way… (leaving out the possibility he did it purely because he lacks a conscience and had a desire to kill for no reason, which is still highly possible)…

But something about him… tells me he did this for a reason.

Most murders do not start off with a quadruple homicide. Mass murderers wanting recognition yes.

So why wouldn’t he start off with just one person? If indeed he did it with just a desire to kill based off his obsession turned desire for murder?

For me there has to be something to the fact he started off with such a large scale brutal murder. (My feelings will change significantly if we learn this wasn’t his first time killing someone) but for now… with only knowledge of these being his first time killing… I cannot help to wonder why? Why so many people at once?

It will be interesting to find out what that reason was.

Please share your thoughts. Am I overthinking it, reaching too hard?
<modsnip - off topic>
Has there been mention of a girlfriend or spouse in his life?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they must have identified him based on the car first, and arrested him shortly after getting DNA results. As I recall, LE was still saying in interviews in the day or two before the arrest that they were still awaiting lab results. MOO
Agreed. If you look at the 'targeted, community not in danger' and the carefully crafted wording in their 11/16 press conference. I think they had BK leaving the scene almost immediately and knew he was in PA for Thanksgiving.

One of the reasons (besides this being high profile, expediting forensics, more support and man/woman power etc) I think they got FBI involved so quickly was likely because BK was in PA and they weren't sure if he was going to come back.

I think them knowing they had perp DNA and missing on CODIS is the reason this thing was dragged out. No matter how confident they were in their other circumstantial evidence...with that DNA lingering unanswered they coudln't do anything. If they had made an arrest and the DNA came back as not Bryans they might have blown this case.

So they waited on familial and got it back on the day FBI started their surveillance in PA (likely relieving local PA LE)

Where will you be watching coverage for court and also for how they tracked him? tia
Here is probably the best.
I flit between here and Twitter usually.
If I find something interesting I fly back here with it, post it and sail back again.
But there won't be more than a few sentences today I imagine.

I hope I'm not out of line for saying this...and any resident Defense attorneys on WS...my apologies.

But it's kind of funny seeing the talking heads who are paid to come on and advocate for BKs potential innocence all auditioning to be his defense attorney.
Has Geragos been sighted in Idaho lately? Is he still practicing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DryHeat77