ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 47

Status
Not open for further replies.
something i have been wondering about.. BK lived in a state without death penalty, but crossed the border to allegedly commit quadruple murder in a state that does have death penalty. what are your thoughts about this?

i’ve been thinking, does that make it more likely that it was targeted? because if he wanted to randomly kill people, wouldn’t it make more sense to commit murder in washington where he wouldn’t risk death penalty? or perhaps he didn’t care, didn’t think he would get caught anyway or maybe it even added something for him? or perhaps he didn’t consider it at all.

just thinking out loud, MOO
IMO someone intent on committing a murder like this doesn't think about potential punishments.

<snipped for focus>

I don't think your speculation is far-fetched. I think his studies with Dr. Ramsland and the subject matter of serial killers such as BTK could be very much related to motive in this case. Until we see the PCA, this is similar to the line of thinking that I have related to motive.

Edited to add "snipped for focus"
and she, unusually is not giving media interviews on this case which might signify she will be a witness for defence or prosecution..

Agreed. If you look at the 'targeted, community not in danger' and the carefully crafted wording in their 11/16 press conference. I think they had BK leaving the scene almost immediately and knew he was in PA for Thanksgiving.

One of the reasons (besides this being high profile, expediting forensics, more support and man/woman power etc) I think they got FBI involved so quickly was likely because BK was in PA and they weren't sure if he was going to come back.

He was not in PA for Thanksgiving according to any source I've seen here or anywhere else. So, at the risk of sounding impatient, can you provide a source for that?

He left WA after fulfilling his grading duties at the end of the term, IMO. Around Dec 13-14. Someone has nailed the times down pretty well, given all the various press, but no one has shown any evidence that he went home twice. 80 hours round trip over a 4-5 day holiday? That would make him super crazy.

He just went home for winter break.

something i have been wondering about.. BK lived in a state without death penalty, but crossed the border to allegedly commit quadruple murder in a state that does have death penalty. what are your thoughts about this?

i’ve been thinking, does that make it more likely that it was targeted? because if he wanted to randomly kill people, wouldn’t it make more sense to commit murder in washington where he wouldn’t risk death penalty? or perhaps he didn’t care, didn’t think he would get caught anyway or maybe it even added something for him? or perhaps he didn’t consider it at all.

just thinking out loud, MOO
MOO

Honestly, I don’t think there was any thought process about crossing a state line to commit these horrendous murders.

I believe this was an extremely personal murder either directed at one or two particular people or…at the inhabitants in the house or what the house represented as a whole.

If he wanted to kill just for the sake of killing, I’m sure there were many opportunities available to him in Pullman.

IMO something important (to him) drew him to that particular house and victims.

Only time will tell.

<snipped for focus>

I don't think your speculation is far-fetched. I think his studies with Dr. Ramsland and the subject matter of serial killers such as BTK could be very much related to motive in this case. Until we see the PCA, this is similar to the line of thinking that I have related to motive.

Edited to add "snipped for focus"

He didn’t get the answers he was looking for in the survey so he got them himself.

Question is did he start writing it.
His computer should have a lot of information

Jmo

[…]

MONROE COUNTY, Penn. - Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger's family is "shocked" and doesn't believe he slaughtered four college students, according to a report.

"They don’t believe it to be Bryan. They can’t believe this," Monroe County Chief Public Defender Jason LaBar told NBC News. "They’re obviously shocked. This is certainly completely out of character, the allegations, and really they’re just trying to be supportive with the understanding that these four families have suffered loss."

The attorney added that the Washington State University Ph.D. student-turned-accused mass murderer told him he believes he will be found not guilty.

"He believes he’s going to be exonerated. That’s what he believes," said LaBar, who has visited Kohberger four times since his arrest. "Those were his words. He’s been very easy to talk to. Actually, he’s in a calm demeanor."

The public defender, who will not represent Kohberger once he returns to Idaho, described his client as "calm and polite despite knowing the death penalty is on the table" in an interview with ABC News.

He quoted his client as saying to him, "This will be a long process." The Monroe County Correctional Facility, which has kept Kohberger in a suicide vest, has been accommodating of his vegan diet, LaBar said.

The accused killer asked to speak with his parents, but the request was declined, the attorney added.

[…]

BK LIVED in Washington State, taught at a Washington college.

He DROVE 8 miles miles to Moscow IDAHO.

He crossed the state line. From Washington INTO Idaho.

That's how they got the felony burglary charge.

Moo..
With respect, Idaho burglary is defined as follows:
18-1401. BURGLARY DEFINED. Every person who enters any house, room, apartment, tenement, store, shop, warehouse, mill, barn, stable, outhouse, or a building, tent, vessel, vehicle, trailer, airplane, or railroad car with intent to commit any theft or any felony is guilty of burglary. Title 18 Chapter 14 Idaho Legislature Statutes

IRRC the felony burglary charge was a result of a felony being committed while inside. Because the suspect crossed a state line had nothing to do with the charge IMO.

Agreed. If you look at the 'targeted, community not in danger' and the carefully crafted wording in their 11/16 press conference. I think they had BK leaving the scene almost immediately and knew he was in PA for Thanksgiving.

One of the reasons (besides this being high profile, expediting forensics, more support and man/woman power etc) I think they got FBI involved so quickly was likely because BK was in PA and they weren't sure if he was going to come back.

I think them knowing they had perp DNA and missing on CODIS is the reason this thing was dragged out. No matter how confident they were in their other circumstantial evidence...with that DNA lingering unanswered they coudln't do anything. If they had made an arrest and the DNA came back as not Bryans they might have blown this case.

So they waited on familial and got it back on the day FBI started their surveillance in PA (likely relieving local PA LE)
Hmmm, that does make sense. I wouldn't have thought they IDd him that early, but that could also explain why they never seemed interested in recovering the car per se, rather just talking to the occupant(s). Maybe they thought they could get DNA somehow if he came in for questioning. And it could also explain the insistence that the public is safe (they knew where he was) AND the notion that it was targeted - they could have specific evidence that BK targeted the victims/house/ whatever. You've changed my mind :)

MOO

Last edited:
It has video embedded within that basically shows Brian Entin (a news reporter) discussing the hows and whys of how the killer entered and exited the house as well as routes.

From the article:

Up until now, the prevailing theory has been that the killer approached the front of the house.
SBM.
I thought there were all sorts of different theories actually, right from the beginning.It's a bit hard to remember it all. Thanks for summarising anyway!

IMO, why are folks inserting BTK and his daughter in to this case. They are unrelated. This is a separate case, separate motive: BTK and BK are totally different.
Exactly. I'm pretty much over it. I just want justice for these poor victims and their families and the constant borage of info about BTK and BCK is only adding insult to injury, IMO.

IMO someone intent on committing a murder like this doesn't think about potential punishments.

Which is the most interesting point of discussion, IMO. This man was exceptionally intent on committing murder. Mass murder. Now it's possible that he only intended to kill two women, but ended up killing four people as a result of his own choice of house.

But I don't think this was a rage case, at all. It was not a frenzied, angry, rage-filled attack. Instead, it was a colder emotion, like hate. He thinks of himself as an intellectual, probably because he mostly only accesses his thoughts in an intellectual fashion. I wonder if he has ever done something for purely sentimental reasons (like decorate his apartment with meaningful items that evoke happy memories). I wonder if he has ever gone to an arboretum and just soaked up the beauty of it. Or picked a wildflower and put it in a vase. I wonder if he ever stops to admire a puppy or kitten.

I am guessing he's very very low on both dopamine and oxytocin (the biochemistry of happiness and warm feeling). We know that any regular use of heroin can make it hard for the brain to restore levels of those chemicals.

He made this into a kind of competitive sport for himself, these murders. He nursed and nourished his hatred. He probably read things that made him hate even more, but he stayed cool, not clenched fist, scorching rage. IMO.

For those who thought he may have cleaned up before leaving the house? I think so, and that was very likely his downfall.

Both 23andMe and Ancestry confirm your genetic information could be disclosed to law enforcement if they have a warrant.

Yes. My friend got back to me about which site the police wanted access to her DNA matches from and it was Ancestry. She said there is an opt-in to share with LE.

Thanks Seattle! The first time I bother asking for somebody to summarise something we don't get in Europe and a) it's old news and b) from a journalist or whatever A.B. is who we're not allowed to link to on here. Sigh.
No problem, and please don't hesitate to reach out anytime for an outline of MSM not accessible to EU. I'm from UK and feel your pain. :)

IMO, why are folks inserting BTK and his daughter in to this case. They are unrelated. This is a separate case, separate motive: BTK and BK are totally different.

Well, the first "folk" to "insert" BTK into this case was Bryan Kohberger himself, by studying with the nation's leading expert on BTK and taking a real interest in the topic.

I have infinite admiration and sympathy for BTK's daughter, who then spoke out and WANTED to be heard, as a victim of a serial killer through family connections. She reminds us that the victims in this case may include siblings or parents of the killer. It's part of her own recovery and it's a well known treatment for trauma (to compare traumas, revisit them, speak out publicly as part of healing). Lyman Smith (victim of GSK/EARONS) has a daughter who did the same (and IIRC, actually came on WS to help with the re-trauma of JDeAngelo being caught).

For those of us with C-PTSD, it's often important to speak about what helps us cope and many, many people with an interest in crime are actually trauma victims.

We the public did not "insert" BTK's daughter into this case. She is a lovely and intelligent person with a good deal to say about the now region-wide fright and trauma that this case caused. Trust me, there are people feeling very frightened by this case (which I don't think is unreasonable) and the daughter's words about healing and re-visiting of trauma are important and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member