ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question I have regarding the two traffic stops IF they were planned to assess the situation was, why do them so close together? This is a massive cross-country drive. And he is pulled over twice in quick succession (not sure if I missed the exact time between them but it has been described as back-to-back). Why would LE do that, rather than have someone in, say, North Dakota pull them over and then Indiana to assess the situation at different points in the drive? Not saying it couldn't have been planned (IMO, I am leaning towards them being actual real traffic stops but it is interesting the ID was not run), but just curious as to this timing if it was planned.
There's no way it was planned. Far too dangerous to stop this guy and no reason to do it. He was being followed by other LE. JMO.

Any chance they would land at the skydiving place? Looks like foster field? Guessing no one would be expecting that but no idea if runway is long enough or can be used at night. Close to downtown (I think) so not a long highway drive.

If the runway is long enough, this might make sense.

Anything to avoid a media circus.

JMVHO.

ISP already said that they didn't know he was a suspect at the time.

PA presser yesterday also went into great detail about how all LE involved in the later arrest were also strictly on a need to know basis .iirc 7 people only.

I realize that. But then another story broke regarding the first stop. So it's just MOO, but really, even if ISP didn't know he was a suspect, it's possible one or both officers are redditors or go on Websleuths or just read google news - they would have seen the WSU connection, the White Elantra thing (and probably not known the year just by looking at the car - the first guy does ask for registration).

Institutionally, ISP says they didn't know his name of course, but realistically, probably 10% of people living west of the Mississippi had at least heard about the case and knew about the white Elantra - that's just my guesstimate based on people I know in various parts of the West. Cops talk shop at work, they could have discussed whether they too should be looking for white Elantras, even though no BOLO.

I never said it was an official stop related to the murders. But the cops could have suspicions and act on them, then call in what they saw.

And to assess his dad's comfort level too. After all, for all LE knew, dad could be turned into a kind of hostage. Bryan could have told his dad all about the situation (which I believe he did not) and dad was agitated and Bryan was speeding and tailgating. For all they knew, all heck was breaking out in that car.

I think they wanted to assess BK and to do a little welfare check on Dad.

I posted yesterday about forensic photography. Yes, I believe he will be reexamined and they have special lights they bring in, and sometimes use MRI or similar to try and determine wounds from a month or two before.

It's not the whole book. P 262 has interesting example pictures. The last section considers to what degree older scratches and lacerations can be seen with special photography.
Oh, thank you for that. Threads going way to fast. Imo he probably told dad he fell running or had a bad kick boxing session and Dad believed him. Thank you.

I pick a point and count 1 - 4 Mississippi to make sure I'm far enough back. We were taught that in driver's ed in Indiana in the dark ages. I have 3 grandkids and still do that. Never been pulled over for following too closely.
Yes, I taught my kids too! It's essential to have enough room to come to a complete stop if the car in front slams its brakes or has a crash. The approximate 10 feet (or one car length) for every 10 miles per hour is the distance it takes to stop completely. The heavier your vehicle, the longer it takes to stop. Following too closely is a serious safety issue; that's why laws prohibit it. MOO

This could have felt a little exciting for him. I think that cops where I live would have been a bit more suspicious when he said that. Wondering why he brought it up, was he nervous, if it had been nighttime the flashlight would have been right in his eyes checking the pupils. Then a once over of the car. Guess it’s a northeast thing.
Yes the discussion of the SWAT team being at WSU seemed completely bizarro in the context of this traffic stop. BK goes from Thai food to SWAT team. LE must have thought that was strange.
[/QUOTE]

BK may have gotten a slight thrill from talking about crime with an officer of the law, yet I think what likely prompted that comment was nervousness -- nervousness that was filtered through BK's social awkwardness. He went for a topic that he thought would resonate with his audience -- crime! -- without drawing attention to his Idaho connection. (Remember, at the time of the traffic stop, WSU was still only peripherally on the radar of those following the Moscow case.) He makes a second attempt by talking about his criminal justice studies. If the officer is anything like most officers I've interacted with, he probably gave them a slightly skeptical look and then promptly went about his business.

I realize that. But then another story broke regarding the first stop. So it's just MOO, but really, even if ISP didn't know he was a suspect, it's possible one or both officers are redditors or go on Websleuths or just read google news - they would have seen the WSU connection, the White Elantra thing (and probably not known the year just by looking at the car - the first guy does ask for registration).

Institutionally, ISP says they didn't know his name of course, but realistically, probably 10% of people living west of the Mississippi had at least heard about the case and knew about the white Elantra - that's just my guesstimate based on people I know in various parts of the West. Cops talk shop at work, they could have discussed whether they too should be looking for white Elantras, even though no BOLO.

I never said it was an official stop related to the murders. But the cops could have suspicions and act on them, then call in what they saw.
yes, a couple of days ago, before we received further information, I also thought and posted that it might be some kind of ruse & that Indiana was ' in the know' but since we got all that extra information it feels distinctly unlikely

Last edited:
The question I have regarding the two traffic stops IF they were planned to assess the situation was, why do them so close together? This is a massive cross-country drive. And he is pulled over twice in quick succession (not sure if I missed the exact time between them but it has been described as back-to-back). Why would LE do that, rather than have someone in, say, North Dakota pull them over and then Indiana to assess the situation at different points in the drive? Not saying it couldn't have been planned (IMO, I am leaning towards them being actual real traffic stops but it is interesting the ID was not run), but just curious as to this timing if it was planned.

He probably ran the plates in his cop car. DL matched. LE was probably being over vigilant considering it was the week before Christmas and traffic was probably getting heavier.

I guess they will refuel in Rapid City?

Not many other small airports near or around that area.
I was thinking they would make it into northeast Wyoming before refueling. (Gillette - GCC)

Last edited:
I'm curious if, now that they have a suspect, LE will revisit the home invasion stabbings in Washington and Illinois (if I remember correctly) that were brought up on this forum to see if there's matching DNA. In at least one of those cases, a man and woman were attacked, the man fatally.

It's still hard for me to imagine a quadruple murder being someone's first murders.
Those murders took place before BK ever left PA.

Thank You! I knew it. There is no way a LE agency would purposely put their traffic cops in that kind of lethal danger.

My sons greatest fear when he was on patrol, was to do a random stop and be met with a driver who'd just killed someone and was on the run. It can go sideways very fast.
Well, if true I correct MO, guess we at WS had more suspect info than the actual police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinabluemoon