ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup! Makes sense! Weirdly, I was in a strange town visiting (in Idaho) and had to wait around for my cell screen to be repaired, so there was a Greek diner across. I don’t eat red meat (sometimes eat chicken, so Def not strictly vegan) and when I ordered the veggie bowl, the waiter inquired if I wanted the rice NOT simmered in chicken stock. I immediately thought of BK as it was the day after details came out regarding his dietary preferences, but didn’t make the possible Greek connection. I think your speculation is spot on.
Sounds plausible.

Kohberger has been reported as having made anti-LGBTQ comments (Idaho 'killer' is accused of scaring female staff at brewery). Perhaps his visit was to be on the third floor to just scare/threaten Kayla or Madison, and when he saw the two of them sleeping in the twin bed, he assumed they were more that friends and he snapped. Until we know the origin of the initial murder, there's no way of knowing where in the house he went first.
Going into someone’s house to scare or threaten them is a crime itself. Doubtful…

The police never stated the other people in the home were sleeping. It was implied by reporters during the press conference questioning. Rewatch the press conference, several words that were said and not said speak volumes now imo.
This is a quote from CBS News

"Police said the two surviving roommates slept through the stabbings."

Bringing this forward from the last thread because I truly want others' ideas on this:

Okay. Apologies if this has been posted about already -- it's nearly impossible to keep up right now.

One fascinating (to me) revelation from the PCA is how clearly it indicates that LE wasn't being forthright about even those few details of the case that it chose to make public. I'm going to zero in on one "fact" that was posted repeatedly by Moscow PD: "The other roommates [meaning DM and BF] did not wake up until later that morning." (I''m quoting from memory here.)

After reading the PCA, it's clear that this was a blatantly misleading statement. DM was both an ear witness and an eye witness! And in no way did she sleep through the killings, which is what was implied. (IIRC, E's mother softly contradicted this, alluding to the fact that the girls downstairs had heard something. Now we know what she was referring to.)

I'm not outraged that LE lied about this -- I completely understand why they would have felt this was the safer thing to do rather than drawing attention to the fact that one of the survivors could potentially help ID the killer.

However, and here is my point and my question to my fellow WebSleuths : What other details might have deliberately misrepresented in initial reports/LE communications? And why?

I still expect him to have left blood at the scene. Maybe LE wanted to hold that back from the PCA because analysis of DNA at crime scene wasn’t final and they had enough?
Think of it as reverse wordsmithing. DM might have been awake when the killer left, then she may have locked herself back into her room and passed out and not woken up until later that morning. Makes it a truthful statement with the sin of omission regarding her seeing a person leave the house and putting her in danger.

What might they have withheld and be withholding? Anything that would have endangered DM before the killer was caught for sure, and anything that is specific to making sure a conviction will happen. I can't blame them for that, I think LE did an incredible job locking down DM's location in the house and keeping all of that quiet.

There is one page redacted out of the PCA. I'm sure it holds evidence that they want to keep quiet to get a solid conviction. Is the public's purported "right to know" worth throwing away a conviction? Not in my book. Your mileage may vary.

All MOO.

Last edited:
In answer to some of considering motive: The motive is not going to be something normal people can identify with. Even if you experienced a lot of anger at some point in your life, and even you crank up your imagination on that event, normal people are not going to imagine the combined effect if you also have issues with empathy, self control and other problems

His general personality has been described by friends and clasmates as severe outlier in ego. There was some kind of event at his school shortly before, where undergraduate students he was grading , felt he had been overly critical in his remarks on their papers and given them unfairly low grade. Some kind of semi-public dressing down by his academic and intellection "lessors" occurred, which given possible ego issues, could have been profoundly humiliatingly, and put him over the edge. he could have projected and focused his anger on any undergrads, especially if there were undergrads he knew who had, in his perception, also humiliated, rejected or insulted him. he could have been ideating killing for a long time, and some set of events set him off
Except that he had been stalking this home before that incident occurred. He was already planning the murders

Is there a single thing LE lied about or misrepresented in this case?
They reiterated that they didn’t have a suspect when they did
They stuck with murders occurring between 3am-4am when they had evidence to the contrary
They said the surviving roommates were asleep and didn‘t wake until later that day
From the top of my head…
All with good reason so as not to tip BK off.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, if I were the defense I would wonder why there
Was DNA found only on the button on the sheath--since it was a bloody scene why
Isnt there more blood found on the sheath?
It was talking about his DNA, not all DNA - just likely means he didn't cut himself and leave DNA, not necessarily that theirs was not on it. I imagine MM/KG blood may have been on the sheath unless he tossed it away from them before killing them.

This isn't unusual. LE lie and misrepresent things all the time for various reasons. Here, I'd say it was to try and not tip their hand to BK and to protect the surviving roommates or at least provide them with more of a sense of security than they would have had if it was announced they saw/heard the crime.
The survivors were most likely totally shattered mentally and probably will be for a long time to come.
lE acted correctly to protect them IMO

JMO

I believe the reason the killer didn’t kill DM is simply because he didn’t see her. When she opened the door the 3rd time she may have only opened it a tiny pinch. Just enough to see what the heck is going on. The opening was likely small enough to be missed by the killer especially if there were no lights on.
Or maybe he was tired of murder after murdering 4 people, and hearing their cries, whimpers, etc. Murder might seem acceptable in planning, but in execution...not so much. Maybe he had enough. Just a thought, I don't know if that is the real reason he didn't kill DM.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, if I were the defense I would wonder why there
Was DNA found only on the button on the sheath--since it was a bloody scene why
Isnt there more blood found on the sheath?

By now, I'm guessing they've found more DNA all over that sheath. This first analysis of the sheath gave them what they needed (it's on the part of the sheath that fastens, to use a knife, a person would have to unfasten the sheath; no other DNA must have been found in that same area).

Why would there be blood on the sheath? He obviously lost it in the 3rd bedroom upstairs, did not resheath his knife.

The scene was bloody, but most of the blood (as planned by BK) was under blankets and comforters, and in the mattress area (except for Xana, who was not in bed). Sure the knife was bloody, but he never found the sheath to resheath his bloody knife.

BTW, they didn't say that they found ANY blood on the sheath, certainly not HIS blood. They found DNA, which was probably from skin cells. It's likely he had sheathed and unsheathed that knife several times, each time leaving DNA on the exact space that one would expect him to (the fastener of the sheath). I am guessing his DNA is inside the sheath but in much smaller amounts and all over the sheath. Once this gets going, there may even be enough left for the defense to run its own tests - which will likely reveal pretty much the same results (although they'll make a big deal out of finding stranger DNA from the person who packed the sheath at Amazon or where ever, and the people who made the sheath) .

It's the fact that the DNA is in the place required for use of the weapon (like a trigger) that makes it so valuable.

The crime scene and the car are a treasure trove of evidence, but let's not forget the suspect's apartment and his university office. Finding any trace evidence from the victim's there will undoubtedly, IMO, refute the last vestiges of "reasonable doubt." They may even find trace evidence from the dog Murphy in the house or office.
I wonder if he took any items from their house as a token?

I don't know. I just know that they worked there.

When we put together the information that he harassed servers for dates and became angry or rude when turned down, two of the victims worked in a restaurant that serves vegan food, the restaurant closes at 10 PM on Saturdays, in late August the suspect was at their home at 10:35 PM and remained for an hour, then returned another 11 times prior to the murders, plus the fact that Kaylee had moved out and Ethan was a guest ... for me ... that makes Madison and/or Xana the target(s).

Madison's bedroom was clearly visible from the hill at the back of the house. Xana's bedroom was at the front of the house, and Kaylee's bedroom not as easy to see into the bedroom.

The sheath on Madison's bed suggests to me that he first used the knife in Madison's bedroom and maybe heard noise in Xana's room (since she was still awake at 4 AM), so he forgot to pick up the sheath.
bbm
As in ... a party guest ?
Or, there as in hanging outside in stalker mode ?
Did the victims know who he was, even on a temp. acquaintance level ?
M00.

Or maybe he was tired of murder after murdering 4 people, and hearing their cries, whimpers, etc. Murder might seem acceptable in planning, but in execution...not so much. Maybe he had enough. Just a thought, I don't know if that is the real reason he didn't kill DM.
I wonder if he even saw her. He may have been under such an adrenaline rush, and so intent on getting out quickly, that he didn't even notice her.

IMO, he wanted to kill "the gang of 4" long time friends/pairs of close friends (all students & friends for a few years or longer who hung out together), whom he targeted specifically, and he didn't care about the other 2 housemates. The other 2 housemates [ETD info about ages, couldn't confirm]... didn't have the same status/closeness as the 4 did socially.

Posted in more detail about this "hypothesis" in a previous thread (as to why all/just the 4 of them could have been his targets).

Known facts:
X & M worked at a restaurant that served vegan cuisine (the Mad Greek in Moscow: Mad Greek - Menu: their menu says "Ask your server about our Vegetarian and Vegan options")
BK is a vegan
BK has a history of harassing female waitstaff (the brewery in PA: Bryan Kohberger harassed women at Pennsylvania brewery: report)

Speculation:
BK could have gone to the Mad Greek on one or more occasion to eat the vegan cuisine they serve
M &/or X were working when he came in and he did it again (sexual harassment of female waitstaff) with one or both of them
One or both of them &/or their manager/shift supervisor confronted him about his behavior &/or told their "besties" (E & K) about it
BK was "triggered" (for lack of a better word) by being called on his behavior & not being allowed to pursue a relationship with one of the attractive females working there
BK started following/stalking X &/or M and saw the 4 of them together after that (X, her boyfriend E, M, her bestfriend K), and came to see them as a "unit" he needed to go after (for whatever his sick reasons were, we may never know or understand)
BK bought a deadly knife with the purpose of doing 1 or all 4 of them harm

JMOO

Seems very feasible he obsessed with the two roommates X& M while eating at the Mad Greek then followed them home or found them on SM/Instagram and stalked them to local bars then home late at night. His pings will spell out the story. Perhaps it started with stalking, escalated to peeping then B&E as practice then homicide.

Oh! You think it was a man crying? A victim or BK? I assumed it was Xana sitting in bed awake watching this monster approach her and her crying/scared.
I too assumed it was X crying, and probably because her boyfriend was lying motionless in front of her and she was scared she'd be next. JMO

Well, based on the Timeline in the affidavit, did it take as long as you expected? I was estimating 6-8 minutes, which I’m sure people thought was not enough time ~ and the timeline was sometime after 4:04 and before 4:20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels