Identified! ME - Jonesport, Wht/OtherMale 60-65, UP15307, in ocean, clothes, watch, Jul'00 - Philip Kahn

Is there a missing persons report for your long lost relative?
I do not think so. One of my cousins thought there was a suicide note. I don't know how his disappearance was treated at the time. I've never found him on any LE lists of missing persons, or been able to research the situation in detail. Among relatives I knew, there was a reluctance to discuss the man, and as a result, I did not think I had enough information to proceed further. I think there were behavioral episodes that alienated family members. In particular, I don’t know if the time frame of his disappearance fits well enough with the Jonesport John Doe.

3 DDP announcements today! I'm wondering if the delay in announcement is due to DDP making the announcement instead. JMO

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 7.02.46 PM.png1673485386969.png1673485436677.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-11 at 7.05.14 PM.png
Rest in peace, Philip.

Wednesday, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) announced that the remains have been identified as those of Philip Kahn. He was 84 years old when he left Las Vegas, Nevada, and landed in New York City in July of 2000. It was not clear why or how Kahn ended up off the coast of Maine.

He has been identified as 84-year-old Philip Kahn of Las Vegas.
Wow, he must have kept himself in pretty good shape to be identified as early 60s by ME but actually be in his 80s! Rest easy, Philip.
Wonder why he wasn't considered for this UID prior if he was reported missing in 2000. I guess confusion with being reported out of Las Vegas/last seen in NYC/ body technically in Maine.

One of the articles stated this:
In March 2022 the OCME met with the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services, Deceased Persons Identification Services Division (DPI Services) and new technology helped connect the fingerprints and dental records to Kahn, who had been reported missing in Las Vegas in 2000.
So he was ID'd by fingerprints and dental records and not DNA?
Also, he was reported missing. Was he in NamUs and other databases?

Can't see in my country, could you copy/paste?
Sure:

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Remains discovered nearly 30 miles off the Maine coast in 2000 have been identified as that of a missing Las Vegas man, the 8 News Now Investigators have learned.

Philip Kahn disappeared in July 2000, officials with Maine’s Office of Chief Medical Examiner said Wednesday. Kahn, who was 84 years old at the time, was later reported missing from Las Vegas.

Someone located the remains 27 miles off the Maine coast on July 24, 2000, the office said. Officials do not know why Kahn’s remains ended up in the Atlantic Ocean.

My-project-1-2023-01-11T143958.696.png
Philip Kahn disappeared in July 2000, Maine’s Office of Chief Medical Examiner said Wednesday. Kahn, who was 84 years old at the time, was later reported missing from Las Vegas. (Maine Office of Chief Medical Examiner/KLAS)
Kahn flew from Las Vegas to New York City that same month, officials said.

Over the past several years, the office worked to try to identify the remains through fingerprints and DNA. The FBI matched fingerprints and dental records from the remains to Kahn last year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back