ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying that at all. I have zero idea how this will play out. People(jurors) have a tendency to be wild cards. Some will consider that secured or unsecured BK had no right to enter. Some will consider that a person who doesn't secure their does gets what they get. I can't say if having unsecured door will or won't help the defendant in this case. I only know the legal aspects of burglary and the entry policy on that.
I'm sure the defense will try and get jurors seated who feel that people who don't lock their doors gets what they get. JMO.

Slightly off topic:
Today was the first time I've ever seen BK actually look like a 28-year-old. Before, if I didn't know he was born in 1994, I would have sworn he was 30-35, which is odd because I'm of the age where anyone under 30ish looks like a baby to me.
Also, I noticed what I'm presuming are shaving cuts.

The surviving roommate didn't mention hearing a dog barking, which I think would have been much louder in the home where the dog lived than outside at the neighbor's ring camera, so I have to wonder if a different dog in the neighborhood was barking.

All MOO.
The surviving roommate didn't mention the loud thud, either. Or, better put, the PCA didn't mention her mentioning it. I think the PCA left out a lot, especially the parts they had audio footage of, which is more reliable than an eye-witness. JMO. To me, it read in order of events, with DM's statements where there was no other evidence, and evidence in place of DM's statement when available, and how it all fit chronologically from when she first woke up to noises upstairs to when he likely left. They also said they used BF and DM's phone data in the timeline, so my best bet is DM texted BF at some point during the given timeframe...maybe 4:25.

I think it makes sense that he would have gone to MM's third-floor room first, then went to X's room, IF he heard and/or encountered an awake X on the way back stairs. In fact, that is what I think happened.
This is something else that really troubles me… we’d have a better understanding if we had a trail of bloody footprints to follow. How is it even possible that he didn’t track blood all over?

We don’t know when he entered. We do know a dog started barking at 4:17 and he was speeding away at 4:20. Relying entirely on the assumption that the barking dog was Murphy, and that he was barking in response to K being murdered on the other side of that door, there just isn’t enough time to proceed from there to kill X and E before leaving.
I am not convinced Murphy was the dog barking. It could have been a neighborhood dog that heard him outside going to his car. At first, I thought it might be the "thud," but the "thud" would have made for an extremely tight timeline (assuming he had to finish what he started before leaving the house).

JMO and pure speculation below on trying to understand the timeline.....

4:12 X closes TikTok and decides to call it a night. Heads out of room to throw DD bag away and maybe go to the bathroom when she hears, and possibly sees someone coming down the stairs. She quickly returns to her room to tell E someone is in the house..... How long would that take - 1 minute, maybe 2 (if she didn't go to the bathroom)? BK follows her into her room. In this speculative scenario, BK would have several minutes to kill X & E before the dog started barking.

However, I the Public Defender's lack of resources is a very significant factor. Specifically, they have no death penalty-qualified trial attorneys, and all their staff attorneys including Ms. Taylor have full caseloads
As a side note, in my state public defenders assigned to death penalty cases need only to have experience with felony criminal defenses, they do not need to have direct experience in death penalty cases.

Given Idaho's low crime rate and the decline in death penalty cases over the past decade or more, there may not be any practicing prosecutors or defense attorneys in Idaho with direct experience in death penalty cases.

One could probably include the neighboring states as well with exception of Nevada. In short.... my guess is that both the prosecution and the defense are going to have to "fly" with who they have experience wise.

Suspect Vehicle 1 can be seen entering the area a fourth time at approximately 4:04 a.m. It can be seen driving eastbound on King Road, stopping and turning around in front of 500 Queen Road #52 and then driving back westbound on King Road.

Map showing just how close the surveillance cameras were that caught the White Elantra.

<Mod snip -> Image copied from behind paywall> Image was created by me using Google Earth.

Chicago Tribune picked up the article but w/o attachments
Video From Local Security Cams.jpg

Image created by me using Google Earth.

Last edited:
Most likely the Defense attorneys want to see more evidence and discuss the case to determine whether or not to waive the preliminary hearing.

Oh, you're right. They can still waive it. I totally forgot that.

I really feel for that defense attorney. While it is certainly going to be one of the most memorable cases of her career, it's also got to be very stressful.

I have to say that lawyers as a group are some of the most amazing stress-handlers I've ever seen in action.
And this is where I have a major issue. Really. First, supposedly they have all single-plate Elantra owners in ID and WA and a DNA. Much as I am all for investigative genealogy, isn't it easier to pick up some coffee cups from the Elantra owners and directly compare to their DNAs? Than spend time and money building trees from Gedmatch material?

Another thought - if his parents did DNA tests, submitted DNA to Gedmatch and unlocked the matches (because apparently the DNA was 1/2 match with the Dad), it tells a lot about the parents' social responsibility and also, that they never expected something like this to ever happen to their kid. Thinking of it...

Now, the case you quote is very different. Semen in rape or murder cases is exactly where familial DNA works ideally. But these are old cases. Now, owing to Paul Holes and GSK case, every rapist and murderer knows what not to leave. Partial DNA, transfer DNA is contestable. Semen, not so much (there are some complex cases, but usually it is a direct clue.

MOO: Paul Holes and the media should have kept the details of GSK under wraps, tbh...it would not have propelled Paul to the stardom, but as the method, familial DNA could be of a better use today if the details were not known. What do you think?

We don't know all details of phone tracking. It is still more usable. Digital footprints, too. DNA is very usable, but also, not.

Can you cite any LE source that says they used GEDMatch?

The term "genetic genealogy" includes merely doing a paternity test or digging up a body to get a DNA match to a living person. It does not exclusively mean "Use a DNA database."

I see no evidence that LE didn't do as you suggested - but they focused on ONE Elantra order first - and got a match!

It's possible, I suppose, that some other local Elantra owners were asked to give DNA and did so - they won't be mentioned publicly and were cleared. So this could have happened (likely did) and we just don't and won't know about it.

Familial DNA is a very broad field with many techniques, not just databases and here, there was no need for GEDMatch.

However, as I've asked a couple of times, if anyone can produce an LE-based statement that this investigation used GEDMatch, I'd be grateful as I would put that in my notes for this case. AFAIK, it's only been reported by Nancy Grace, with no source, and with her saying "They probably are going to use something like GEDMatch if they have DNA."

They did not need to. They used a shorter method, as any forensic geneticist would advise.

Im sure this means nothing but just an observation, BCK was an HVAC trainee in High School and we all were curious why only a couple of days after the murders there was a the was an HVAC repair truck at victime house.

When did Mrs Chapin make this post? I know some of the other vehicles were released back to families fairly soon after Nov 13th. Are the police still holding E's Jeep and why?
HVAC info is interesting. Curious.

Mrs Chapin said that LE still have 2 of their family's cars. Believe that she posted that yesterday.

My name is called all the time in front of waiting rooms full of people, par for the course. No HIPAA violation because my medical condition is not revealed to this room full of strangers.

Inmate's names are mentioned all the time in Court Motions when a jail asks the court if they can take them to the dentist or any number of medical places near the jail. It is public knowledge and doesn't disclose their medical condition just because their name is mentioned. No HIPAA violations from disclosing their names and that they are going to a dentist, hospital, Dr apt., lab, etc...A HIPAA violation discloses personal medical information. BK's personal medical information wasn't disclosed.

If the receptionist said BK went for an injury to his shoulder that would violate HIPAA, that would be his personal medical information.

The receptionist is a blabber mouth talking to the media, making her untrustworthy. But saying she violated HIPAA is a stretch.
$$$$$$

Reactions: IDK
The key thing to remember about the car is that it had no front plate in the videos, so it stood out from Elantras registered in WA and ID. But in a college town, there might have been dozens of Elantra's with no front plate. I notice they didn't point that out at all. They just kept asking about Elantras until his finally rose to the top. They probably didn't want to tip anyone off so that they re-registered their car.

We may be surprised how many matching cars they ran down and eliminated one way or another. Then they got to his and couldn't eliminate him. And one thing after another, the pieces started falling into place. But they apparently couldn't get his DNA. Without a match to that DNA they had, they were stuck. I think that's when they took some of his parents' trash back in PA and proved the familial match. I could be very wrong, but I think that was done before he left school to drive back home with Dad.

Working backward on DNA is an investigative nightmare. In my hometown, a young girl scout disappeared and was murdered in 1975. A semen sample was found on her body. They had one suspect, a young man from her neighborhood, but the case went cold. Forensics were not good in 1975 but miraculously, that semen sample was preserved properly. 20+ years later, still working the case, the police asked everyone they could find of a certain age range that lived in the area of her home for a DNA sample to try and find or eliminate suspects. It didn't give them a suspect, but it did give them a long list of people NOT involved, including that young man who spent 20 years under a cloud of suspicion. Several years after the DNA sweep, they arrested a transient for a different rape and murder, and when they ran his DNA looking for other possible crimes, his DNA matched the sample from her case. When confronted with the evidence, he confessed. Because all they had was the DNA, finding him at all was pure dumb luck.
Someone with WA or ID plates could have easily taken the front plate off that night.

In addition to what looks like a cut on his face and an acne breakout does BCK have bruises on his neck? At first, I thought that was the shadow from either his own jaw line or from his attorney's body, but the area that looked like it was bruised didn't change or move whenever he swiveled in his chair like it would if it were shadows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz