SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the testimony regarding the guns, I have wondered if in his haste to leave AM forgot the one gun at the scene. When he returned he found it and that is why he told the 911 operator that he needed to go get a gun in case the shooter was still around. JMO

nd

Pretty sure Maggie was hit with a point blank shot in the head too so she too was essentially executed. I've always thought that two weapons were used to throw off LE to think that two subjects were involved. The fact that shell casings found on the property match those found beside Maggie is pretty damming, plus the most damming evidence of AM being on the video literally seconds before the murders occurred.
Agreed and isn't like one person can't pack around several weapons, one slinged over shoulder and one at the ready. AM kept making a point of threat's from everywhere laying the ground work for a multiple shooter scenario.

Based on the testimony regarding the guns, I have wondered if in his haste to leave AM forgot the one gun at the scene. When he returned he found it and that is why he told the 911 operator that he needed to go get a gun in case the shooter was still around. JMO
Yes, interesting that the 12 gauge gun he had when cops arrived had 16 gauge ammo in it. Did he intend to use that but it wouldn't fire because of the ammo in it? JMO.

Just started watching so this may be a moot point. Is this witness trying to compare casings, etc found at the murder scene only or the bullets removed from the victims also being compared?? Likely murder weapons are gone.

That is not a valid reason to admit it. It's possible it could come in under "common plan or scheme" re the September 2021 road-side shooting, which AM also allegedly did to evade problems. Tony Satterfield said he contacted AM about the money sometime in June -- before the roadside episode. To be admitted the evidence not only has to be admissible under Rule 404 (below), it must also be more probative than prejudicial.

CHARACTER EVIDENCE NOT ADMISSIBLE TO PROVE CONDUCT; EXCEPTION; OTHER CRIMES

(a) Character Evidence Generally. Evidence of a person's character or a trait of character is not admissible for the purpose of proving action in conformity therewith on a particular occasion, except:

(b) Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts. Evidence of other crimes, wrongs, or acts is not admissible to prove the character of a person in order to show action in conformity therewith. It may, however, be admissible to show motive, identity, the existence of a common scheme or plan, the absence of mistake or accident, or intent.

I would normally agree with you. However, the judge has been rather inclusive so far. He stated yesterday he felt the defense had “opened the door” to character evidence by questioning witnesses about his loving relationships with family/friends. I.e. under (a)(1) of the rule.

This judge has surprised me with his reasoning a few times thus far. Not necessarily in a bad way. It will be interesting to see for sure.

Yes, interesting that the 12 gauge gun he had when cops arrived had 16 gauge ammo in it. Did he intend to use that but it wouldn't fire because of the ammo in it? JMO.
AM knew his ammo and thinking he just grabbed it to look like "Oh look at that chambered wrong shell in there!. and also hinting to the fact that that shotgun wasn't used in the actual crime.

I think the judge will keep out the Satterfield information as more prejudicial than probative because there is no evidence that the son contacted Alex about the money before the murders. Although I think it's relevant to show Alex's extreme financial strains and possible worries, the idea that he stole such a huge amount of money from the sons of his deceased housekeeper is so appalling -- I just think the judge will exclude it as too prejudicial. How truly horrible this all is. JMO.
On the other hand, the Satterfield circumstances reveal just one example among many of the extent to which AM was willing to commoditize others with whom he had a relationship (his housekeeper and her life) for personal gain and stole the things that belonged to or otherwise financially endangered them or their heirs (settlements due the housekeeper's children for her death) for his own benefit. Others commoditized:
  • his relationship with his personal insurers, who he cheated by "suing" himself (with a friend "fronting" as attorney of record to reduce the apparent conflict of interest) to gain the proceeds of settlements from his liability and blanket policies for those injured on his own property.
  • his relationship with his law partners, who he cheated by maximizing his own gain at their expense (accepting reduced %-fee for the partnership to give the impression he was increasing the share of the settlement due to the client, and then privately taking the full settlement for himself, while only reporting the reduced fee as belonging to the partnership). (ETA: He also cheated them by cheating their clients, whom the partners then had to make whole.)
  • his relationship with his friends - Russell Lafitte, who allowed himself and his role at the bank to be exploited to financially benefit AM at the expense of the integrity and financial security of the bank and the clients to whom they owed a fiduciary duty; Chris Wilson, who he lied to - affirming that his law partners had been made aware he was diverting the partnership's share of fees to a "structured settlement company" (that was in fact an alternative company benefitting only AM).
  • ETA: his relationship with his clients, many of whom he cheated by not disclosing that they had received settlements or by understating what those settlements were.

In other words, through his actions AM has demonstrated a PATTERN of sacrificing others and what he owed them (as trusted friend, partner, client, and allegedly - spouse and child) to his own personal interests (ETA: And violating the law in doing so.)

Last edited:
Interesting and who in their right mind leaves a possible scene with a possible active shooter still there runs up to the house being much better cover then head's back down exposing themselves to danger from everywhere. Points to the fact IMO that AM knew the scene was safe.

There is a lot swirling around that has come into evidence.
This ballistic evidence is pretty damaging to AM. A killer bent on revenge, targeting someone, isn’t going to show up unarmed for the big moment.
But even with that and everything else, AM has to explain why his stated alibi is he was taking a nap, and there is a video with him and his wife and son, at the kennels, together, a handful of minutes before they were killed.

Interesting and who in their right mind leaves a possible scene with a possible active shooter still there runs up to the house being much better cover then head's back down exposing themselves to danger from everywhere. Points to the fact IMO that AM knew the scene was safe.
Exactly! He had to explain that for some reason.

Yes, I just think 99% of the population would head for the hills to safety and not call from the scene or return to the scene until LE was there. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz