ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 71

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if he says he was parked behind 1122 to jog. He hears screams and sees a suspect flee on foot, He enters the house after to see if everyones ok. He leaves right after cuz hes freaked out. State still needs more which I believe they have. moo
Umm...
I admire this "mental gymnastics" haha

But my eyes might be permanently damaged due to rolling :)

What if he says he was parked behind 1122 to jog. He hears screams and sees a suspect flee on foot, He enters the house after to see if everyones ok. He leaves right after cuz hes freaked out. State still needs more which I believe they have. moo
People are not required to believe everything he says. IMO. Reasonable doubt does not mean 'only direct evidence can convict' IMO. No one is required to consider outlandish stories. 'Reasonable doubt' operative word being 'reasonable'.

Last edited:
I have a question. I don't know if it was written about, but wasn't BK interrogated? He simply asked if anyone else had been arrested and they didn't talk to him about anything else? If they have evidence, they had to present it to him and he had to respond to it, right?
Yes, that's correct. Soon after his arrest, BK was provided a lawyer who wisely told him to keep quiet rather than say something that might be incriminating. He may have been interrogated previously but had the right not to answer any/all questions. We don't know what he may have said. And yes, BK has a right to know what evidence Idaho has. His lawyer Ms. Taylor was given that evidence which we can assume was shared with BK.

using Google translate.

Makes we wonder if there was some kind of violence or sexual harassment in the reasons for his dismissal. Those are a bit more difficult to excuse and move beyond than hard marking, rudeness, or poor work ethic.

MOO

Bryan Kohberger was fired from WSU teaching job days before Idaho murders arrest, report says​

Independent
Rachel Sharp
2/8/2023

BBM

"The 28-year-old criminology PhD student began working as a teaching assistant in the criminology department in August as part of his graduate program.

But within a month he was already under investigation by the university because of “behavioural problems” and a “sexist attitude towards women”, according to NewsNation.

The outlet obtained a detailed timeline of his issues in the department, revealing that Mr Kohberger was warned multiple times about his behaviour and was brought into several meetings with professors due to their concerns.

His attitude towards women was cited as a key concern, with the criminal justice student allegedly being “rude to women”, grading the women that he taught differently to the men, and having a “sexist attitude towards females he interacted with at the school”.

In his brief four-month stint as a teaching assistant, Mr Kohberger also reportedly got into multiple altercations with one of the professors – Professor John Snyder."

Bryan Kohberger was fired from WSU teaching job days before Idaho murders arrest, report says

Sounds like BK's cross country move to Washington wasn't panning out so well.

Within a few months of moving there his application to intern with Pullman PD was turned down, and he was terminated from his TA position at WSU.

If he was doing well in his coursework, that would probably be the only saving grace/reason to stay on when he was "so far from home" and his support systems there.

Makes me wonder if he self-sabotaged his situation there, so he had excuses in place to high tail it back home and hide out thousands of miles away from where he "briefly lived" after doing what he allegedly did.

MOO
BBM

Do you have a source for the bolded bit or is it speculation?

AFAIK, PPD has remained silent on the outcome(s) of both his interview in April & the fall application.

TIA & MOO

WSU info page on graduate assistantships, including how assistantship is evaluated.

Note the statement regarding annual evaluations:

"If the student did not meet one or more of these requirements, the student will not be reappointed to the assistantship . . ."

Certification of Assistantship Duties

If a graduate student is appointed to an assistantship for a semester, including the summer, or for the entire academic year, the department is responsible for ensuring that the student receives a review of their progress in fulfilling the responsibilities of the assistantship.

<snipped>

This certification requirement may be added to the department’s annual review form and/or the assistantship review form. The Graduate School’s annual review template has a sample certification section. If the student did not meet one or more of these requirements, the student will not be reappointed to the assistantship, unless he/she is granted an exception to policy based on extenuating circumstances. Exceptions to policy must be submitted by the department to the Dean of the Graduate School. Download the Student Annual Review Template (Word version) or the GA Evaluations Form (PDF).
Those self-certification requirements are nothing/basic enrollment/gpa/did your work:

If the student served in an assistantship position during the past year, please have the student review and sign below, along with the student’s faculty advisor or supervisor.

Student: The graduate assistantship position that you have held during this past year and the related tuition waivers were contingent upon factors as outlined in your offer letter. By signing below you certify you have met the following contingent factors for the preceding semester(s) during which you held an assistantship (circle all that apply: fall / spring / summer / year: ______________):

• I remained enrolled full time (at least 10 credits as defined in Graduate School policy manual, chapter 9) during the period of the appointment.
• I maintained a 3.0 cumulative GPA during the period of the appointment.
• I met the service requirement of an average of 20 hours per week for 0.5 FTE as scheduled by my department/supervisor (or based on hours required for partial FTE appointment).

More interesting would be the GA evaluation form, but the link did not return an image for me.

I tend to agree that he will take a plea to save his life.

The wrinkle for me is if he wants to unalive himself but lacks the courage (there’s that word again). Stranger things have happened. Since he made the choice to cross into a DP state, I can’t completely rule out suicide by the state.

MOO

I'm guessing that unalived is social media speak for killed himself or commit suicide? I'm not convinced that he considered the pentaly when he selected his victims. Realistically, if found guilty and if prosecution seeks the death penalty, it's going to be a long drawn out suicide by state.

Yes, that's correct. Soon after his arrest, BK was provided a lawyer who wisely told him to keep quiet rather than say something that might be incriminating. He may have been interrogated previously but had the right not to answer any/all questions. We don't know what he may have said. And yes, BK has a right to know what evidence Idaho has. His lawyer Ms. Taylor was given that evidence which we can assume was shared with BK.

using Google translate.
BK initially answered LE's questions waiving his right to counsel in the first interview until they asked him about the Idaho murders, after which he refused to answer their questions.

"The top suspect in the murder of four University of Idaho college students initially agreed to talk with police but allegedly stopped the interview after they began to ask questions about the murders.

According to a Monday report published by Law & Crime—a legal affairs website—Kohberger initially waived his right to counsel following his arrest in a rural Pennsylvania town, where he was apprehended by local law enforcement in the early hours of December 30."

Bryan Kohberger stopped police interview after question about Idaho murders

The wrinkle for me is if he wants to unalive himself but lacks the courage (there’s that word again). Stranger things have happened. Since he made the choice to cross into a DP state, I can’t completely rule out suicide by the state.

MOO
Idaho hasn’t executed someone in more than a decade, and this guy would know that. I don’t think he’d have any incentive to plea then, as he’s looking at life in prison. The state has no leverage here, so we’re going to trial.

So after hearing that BK was terminated as a TA, I’m more curious on the status of his internship with the WSU PD. Allegedly he was in the top 4 candidates. We still don’t know if he was ever offered the internship. Would his firing as the TA have any effect on the internship decision? Wondering if we find out at trial he was denied the internship during the same time frame?

I'm guessing that unalived is social media speak for killed himself or commit suicide? I'm not convinced that he considered the pentaly when he selected his victims. Realistically, if found guilty and if prosecution seeks the death penalty, it's going to be a long drawn out suicide by state.
Legendary FBI profiler John Douglas had a great line in his book “Mindhunter,” (great Netflix series), in which he said “a serial killer plans to get away with it, a mass murderer doesn’t, and a spree killer hasn’t thought that far ahead.” I think this guy profiles as a serial killer, even though four at once is insane. He didn’t want to be caught.

Idaho hasn’t executed someone in more than a decade, and this guy would know that. I don’t think he’d have any incentive to plea then, as he’s looking at life in prison. The state has no leverage here, so we’re going to trial.
Hmm...
Does it mean that DP is just an idle threat?

Im curious as I don't live in the US and in my country we don't have such penalty.

But I think he is terrified of it and might decide to plead guilty (if guilty, of course).

I guess he never in his
wildest dreams thought he would be caught.

It seems to me he is (allegedly) living in his own twisted world.

JMO

I don't doubt anything 10ofRod posts, but I too am surprised. Few corporations these days will openly admit having fired somebody: it's usually just start and end date, for fear of lawsuits. I'm very surprised that universities are more lax than private businesses.
I hate to compare apples & oranges, but historically & MOO, both UI & WSU have been very closed-mouthed in those situations when no criminal charges were involved.

I’m concerned about that release, if true — I find it highly unprofessional & legally problematic.

I’ll share again: when a UI professor murdered a student & then unalived himself, the UI actually went to court to get legal permission to release records.

So, even absent the accessibility of excellent legal counsel, it’s not like WSU would be clueless about how to do things legally.

BBM

Do you have a source for the bolded bit or is it speculation?

AFAIK, PPD has remained silent on the outcome(s) of both his interview in April & the fall application.

TIA & MOO
Yes, it is speculation BK didn't get the internship he applied for with Pullman PD, which is why I didn't include a link and ended the post with "MOO". It hasn't been confirmed by LE in MSM whether he was accepted or rejected. I'm also speculating their decision was put on hold if they followed up with his professors to vet him and they weren't ready or willing to recommend him as a good candidate for either of the two three-year intern positions he applied for:

"It is not clear whether Mr Kohberger was offered a position with the department. The Independent has reached out to the department for comment.

The internship had been previously mentioned by law enforcement in the affidavit for Mr Kohberger’s arrest, released on 5 January. It stated that Mr Kohberger had written in an essay that “he had interest in assisting rural law enforcement agencies with how to better collect and analyze technological data in public safety operations.”

According to WSU’s website, the university offers two of the three-year positions in collaboration with the department of criminal justice and criminology and the cities of Pullman and Pasco.

“The purpose of these positions is to support each agency through data management and analysis, and to position them for success when they seek external funding,” according to the page."

Bryan Kohberger was interviewed by police chief for internship months before murders

Here's a link

From the link: “"He brought in Bryan, and he was like, 'alright, go at him,”

That phrasing makes it clear that the professor’s exact words are not being quoted by the student.

And that’s fine—we get the feel of it, as experienced by that student.

MOO

Hmm...
Does it mean that DP is just an idle threat?

Im curious as I don't live in the US and in my country we don't have such penalty.

But I think he is terrified of it and might decide to plea guilty (if guilty, of course).

I guess he never in his
wildest dreams thought he would be caught.

It seems to me he is (allegedly) living in his own twisted world.

JMO
These guys don’t think about getting caught. But he’d know the law, know the precedent, and ride this out I think.

using Google translate.
BK's lawyer told the media that BK spoke to LE for about 5-15 minutes after he was read his miranda rights, and before he exercised his miranda rights.

BK told his PA attorney that he doesn't remember what he said during that timeframe.

Bryan Kohberger was fired from WSU teaching job days before Idaho murders arrest, report says​

Independent
Rachel Sharp
2/8/2023

BBM

"The 28-year-old criminology PhD student began working as a teaching assistant in the criminology department in August as part of his graduate program.

But within a month he was already under investigation by the university because of “behavioural problems” and a “sexist attitude towards women”, according to NewsNation.

The outlet obtained a detailed timeline of his issues in the department, revealing that Mr Kohberger was warned multiple times about his behaviour and was brought into several meetings with professors due to their concerns.

His attitude towards women was cited as a key concern, with the criminal justice student allegedly being “rude to women”, grading the women that he taught differently to the men, and having a “sexist attitude towards females he interacted with at the school”.

In his brief four-month stint as a teaching assistant, Mr Kohberger also reportedly got into multiple altercations with one of the professors – Professor John Snyder."

Bryan Kohberger was fired from WSU teaching job days before Idaho murders arrest, report says
Originally NewsNation had a story about this. But I did find this as well. They also used News Nation as their source.
Idaho murders – update: Bryan Kohberger was fired from WSU for ‘behavioural problems’ and ‘sexist attitude’

MOO
Unless I missed something, I think we're permitted to say kill, murder, etc. here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ