Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO but I think some of these responses indicate such a poor understanding of alcoholism. There seems to be an assumption now that NB was drunk at the time, could have fallen over drunk and drowned, shouldn’t have been driving, etc. This very much plays into the stereotype of the drunk man passing out on the park bench with a brown paper bag. That’s not representative at all of the vast majority of alcoholics.

I say this as someone who has had ‘significant issues with alcohol’. Most of the people I know are just like NB (and just like me too). Professional women, mums, very involved at school, ferrying kids around, go for runs/the gym, have friends, seem happy, very idyllic social media lives. They’re not drinking when they first wake up. They aren’t drunk and falling over on dog walks. Many women like us have all sorts of rules about not drinking in ways that feel like they impact on us as parents, never before the kids are home from sports, never before the kids go to bed. You can absolutely still have ‘significant issues with alcohol’ and not be drinking all the time, or falling over, or passing out in random places. You are just pounding 2 bottles of wine after bedtime and being absolutely miserable.

MOO but I scratch my head a bit about the assumption that alcohol problem = going missing in water. It doesn’t make sense to me in this context. Yes, we know drunk people toddle home from the pub and end up drowning. But that’s not what we’re talking about here. Unless there is information that LE has from the welfare check on the 10th that indicates a previous threat of self harm related to water or that specific place, maybe there is?

But actually what this does make me appreciate is the state of mind NB may have been in. She may have been absolutely sober, but alcoholism is a revolving door of shame and misery. You feel awful and hate yourself for it, you know a drink will take some of that away, you drink, you feel better, eventually you stop feeling better, so you drink more and then you feel sad…roll on the next morning, you wake up and feel miserable and ashamed and it starts again. Mornings are particularly difficult for many. It’s the time you feel the worst about yourself. MOO but it’s a time when the urge to just give up and walk away might be the greatest or to do something that might put you at risk of harm simply from not caring anymore. So it doesn’t make sense to me why the emphasis on the river because I think an accident isn’t the most likely occurrence when you can imagine yourself in NB’s shoes.
Thus why alcoholism is less used as a word now, it brings assumptions and there are different stages of alcohol abuse or dependence. From binge drinking in the evening or weekend to having fits if you withdraw for too long.
My mother was an alcoholic and from drinking the moment she got home from work til she went to bed it stepped up when her friend died to a half to whole bottle of whisky and so on. To alcohol related dementia.
It's not a one size fits all thing.

Why is everybody using the word "alcoholic"? There is nothing to suggest that Nicola is/was one. Having "alcohol issues" is not the same thing (providing they haven't downplayed it). They said it had become apparent again within the past few months, which to me suggested that she uses alcohol sometimes to help her deal with her menopausal symptoms when she has them imo. That also doesn't mean that she'd be drinking all day either... and it also doesn't necessarily mean every day.
Agree.

Why is everybody using the word "alcoholic"? There is nothing to suggest that Nicola is/was one. Having "alcohol issues" is not the same thing (providing they haven't downplayed it). They said it had become apparent again within the past few months, which to me suggested that she uses alcohol sometimes to help her deal with her menopausal symptoms when she has them imo. That also doesn't mean that she'd be drinking all day either... and it also doesn't necessarily mean every day.

JMO but I think the statement that she had serious alcohol issues in the past that had 'arisen again' imply chronic addiction as opposed to someone who just gets a bit over the top when had too many. Also the idea that her disappearance (hint: death) is explained by or contributed to by alcohol and menopause lean heavily to the suggestion that she took the kids to school, got drunk, and fell in the river.

However, it's not substantiated or evidenced, it's just a bread-crummed into a narrative. One that personally, I'm not buying.

Nicola's family have released a statement via Lancashire Police, which reads:

"As a family, we were aware beforehand that Lancashire Police, last night, released a statement with some personal details about our Nikki.

"Although we know that Nikki would not have wanted this, there are people out there speculating and threatening to sell stories about her. This is appalling and needs to stop.

"The police know the truth about Nikki and now the public need to focus on finding her.

"Due to the peri menopause Nikki suffered with significant side effects such as brain fog, restless sleep and was taking HRT to help but this was giving her intense headaches which caused Nikki to stop taking the HRT thinking that may have helped her but only ended up causing this crisis.

"The public focus has to be on finding her and not making up wild theories about her personal life.

"Despite what some media outlets and individuals are suggesting, we are being updated daily and receive support from our family liaison officers.

"Nikki is such a wonderful daughter, sister , partner and mother and is missed dearly - we all need you back in our lives.

"Nikki, we hope you are reading this and know that we love you so much and your girls want a cuddle. We all need you home. You can reach out to us, or you can contact MissingPeople.org.uk. Don’t be scared, we all love you so very much."

Lancashire Police Facebook page

From lanacashire police:
As we approach the three-week anniversary of Nicola Bulley going missing on Friday, 27 January, we remain committed to doing everything we can to find her.

Our sole focus throughout the investigation has been to find Nicola, to bring her home and to support her family through the trauma they are experiencing. The most important person in all of this is Nicola.

Nicola’s family have asked us to issue a statement from them.

The family said: "It has now been three weeks since Nikki went missing. We, as a family, believe that the public focus has become distracted from finding Nikki, and more about speculation and rumours into her and Paul’s private life.

"As a family, we were aware beforehand that Lancashire Police, last night, released a statement with some personal details about our Nikki.

"Although we know that Nikki would not have wanted this, there are people out there speculating and threatening to sell stories about her. This is appalling and needs to stop.

"The police know the truth about Nikki and now the public need to focus on finding her.

"Due to the peri menopause Nikki suffered with significant side effects such as brain fog, restless sleep and was taking HRT to help but this was giving her intense headaches which caused Nikki to stop taking the HRT thinking that may have helped her but only ended up causing this crisis.

"The public focus has to be on finding her and not making up wild theories about her personal life.

"Despite what some media outlets and individuals are suggesting, we are being updated daily and receive support from our family liaison officers.

"Nikki is such a wonderful daughter, sister , partner and mother and is missed dearly - we all need you back in our lives.

"Nikki, we hope you are reading this and know that we love you so much and your girls want a cuddle. We all need you home. You can reach out to us, or you can contact MissingPeople.org.uk. Don’t be scared, we all love you so very much."

JMO but I think the statement that she had serious alcohol issues in the past that had 'arisen again' imply chronic addiction as opposed to someone who just gets a bit over the top when had too many. Also the idea that her disappearance (hint: death) is explained by or contributed to by alcohol and menopause lean heavily to the suggestion that she took the kids to school, got drunk, and fell in the river.

However, it's not substantiated or evidenced, it's just a bread-crummed into a narrative. One that personally, I'm not buying.
Having issues from time to time doesn't necessarily mean an addiction tho, otherwise they would have likely been consistent. Maybe it's the menopausal symptoms that she struggles with, uses alcohol to cope but doesn't have any issues outside of that when they're less intense. This is all just imo, of course we don't know and probably never will.

The narrative I got from this was more towards suicide or leaving of her own accord and the police were pushing it towards being her mental health. Again this is all just imo and any outcome is still possible, though it seems many people have changed their mind one way or another since the press conference yesterday.

" there are people out there speculating and threatening to sell stories about her" - Why on earth would you do this?! Contact 101, report what you know, and leave it at that ffs. The impact on her kids of this is ridiculously unfair.

Maybe such people weren't motivated by selling stories for money so much as they have an opinion or experience they want aired and feel angry the mainstream media paint a picture of someone that they view less than accurate?

I'm just suggesting that as I can't imagine why.

Maybe some people are vultures who want quick bucks for selling a tabloid story about the time they had an argument with NB over a parking space or something ludicrous?

“Was not shared with my usually trusted team”

Does he not realise Lancashire police couldn’t trust him due to him running to the media every 2 minutes.
In the interest of accuracy PF did not run to the media. The media approached him and as there was not much information, he gave updates to help keep N's case in the public eye with the knowledge of the family

Where does she even go if not the river for her to not be found by now assuming she disappeared voluntarily? I wonder if there are any favourite spots, places etc of hers within a reasonable walking distance. Any local beauty spots. She seemed to like walking and being active.

"Due to the peri menopause Nikki suffered with significant side effects such as brain fog, restless sleep and was taking HRT to help but this was giving her intense headaches which caused Nikki to stop taking the HRT thinking that may have helped her but only ended up causing this crisis."

"Due to the peri menopause Nikki suffered with significant side effects such as brain fog, restless sleep and was taking HRT to help but this was giving her intense headaches which caused Nikki to stop taking the HRT thinking that may have helped her but only ended up causing this crisis."
Such a shame as HRT is such a life changer for many.

Some of the vitriol on social media (and odd piece on here) towards PA is downright disgusting. Unless we’re told otherwise, he’s clearly a distraught husband whose wife has been missing for three weeks, not to mention him having to try to hold it all together for two poor children. Really feel for the guy - the situation is bad enough without the accusations and whispers.

"Nikki ... was taking HRT to help but this was giving her intense headaches which caused Nikki to stop taking the HRT thinking that may have helped her but only ended up causing this crisis."

RSBM

To my mind this is surprisingly definite, for the family to state Nikki's withdrawal from HRT treatment "ended up causing this crisis" - what does that indicate, I wonder?

Can anyone remember a more bizarre missing person case than this?
Up until last night’s information being released probably not, I always felt it looked staged in the beginning, the clues were there about NB’s mental health state as EW said in an early interview “she may of taken herself away to have some time on her own…” - if anything these comments have now given a glimmer of hope that NB could still be alive somewhere.

All I know is had they says this in the beginning I don’t think it would of got the coverage or created the circus it has turned into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ari76