Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to leave the thread now until / if there is anything relevent brought to light.

Quick speech** It's the First time I've been on this site as I don't have social media and this case really got my head in a spin....... In the beginning I was quite happy to throw out all manner of wild theory's and implicate tom , dick and harry without a second thought, but it seems Web sleuth's have taught me an invaluable lesson about conduct that I won't forget going forward. Thanks to the web sleuths team for making it all work so well.

Rest in peace Nicola.

TRANSCRIPTION OF PRESS CONFERENCE

20TH FEB.

Chief Inspector
- Good afternoon everyone. Sadly we are now able to confirm that yesterday we recovered Nicola Bulley from the River Wyre. Nicola's family have been informed and are, of course, devastated. Our thoughts are with them at this time, as well as with all her loved ones and the wider community. We recognise the huge impact that Nicola's disappearance has had on her family and friends but also the people of St. Michaels. We would like to thank all of those who have helped, during what has been a hugely complex and highly emotional investigation.

Today's developments is not the outcome any of us would have wanted, but we hope that at least it can begin to provide some answers for Nicola's loved ones. They remain foremost in our thoughts. The case is now being handled by His Majesty's Coroner.

The family have asked that we read a statement on their behalf. I'll now hand over to Detective Chief Superintendent Stables to do that.

Family Statement

Our Family Liaison Officer's have had to confirm our worst fears today. We will never be able to comprehend what Nikki had gone through in her last moments and that will never leave us. We will never forget Nikki, how could we, she was the centre of our world. She was the one who made our lives so special and nothing will cast a shadow over that.

Our girls will get the support they need from the people who love them the most. And it saddens us to think that one day we will have to explain to them that the press and members of the public accused their dad of wrongdoing, misquoted and vilified friends and family. This is absolutely appalling, they have to be held accountable this cannot happen to another family.

We tried last night to take in what we had been told in the day, only to have Sky News and ITV making contact with us directly when we expressly asked for privacy. They again, have taken it upon themselves to run stories about us to sell papers and increase their own profits. It is shameful they have acted in this way. Leave us alone now. Do the press and other media channels and so called professionals not know when to stop? These are our lives and our children's lives.

To those who genuinely helped and supported us privately, we thank you. The community support in St Michaels, friend's, neighbours and strangers has been nothing short of comforting and heart-warming. Friends you know who you are. Thank you.

Our hearts truly break for others who have missing loved ones. Keep that hope alive.

Finally, Nikki - You are no longer a missing person, you have been found, we can let you rest now. We love you, always have and always will. We will take it from here.
Thank you, @Allabouttrial, for all the time and trouble you’ve taken to provide us with transcripts throughout the time Nicola was missing. They've been incredibly helpful.

I just hope that Nicola has found peace now . Whatever has caused this sad loss of a beautiful life ….many of us are lucky not to go thru it . But for those who ever has my heart goes out to you . Her family , friends and children, my thoughts go out to you .

Speaking from personal experience. We knew my sister was probably dead from the moment she went missing, because of her state of mind. Obviously, when someone is missing there is always hope. The longer it goes on, there is a gradual acceptance of the probable outcome…so when it’s confirmed you’ve already prepared yourself. I don’t know what’s worse, that gradual realisation, or the sudden shock of being told someone you love is dead. You learn to live with it, but you never ever get over it. So many unanswered questions, only one person knows the truth of what happened. IMO having a faith helps. I know a little of what Nicola‘s family have been through, but their experience was made so much worse by the awful publicity and speculation. Unfortunately the real grieving process starts now, and will never really end. They are in my prayers.
Beautiful post.

Well this has been my first experience of Websleuths and before baling out I'd like to express my appreciation to the moderators who have IMO done a great job in trying to keep the forum professional and factual. It cannot have been easy so give yourselves a pat on the back!
Personally and on behalf of our hard-working Moderators and Coordinators, thank you so much for your very kind words.

Please don't bale for long and don't be a stranger !!

Sillybilly :)
WS Admin

<modsnip - quoted post and response to it removed>

It'd be interesting to get someone's 'take' on that river, and how swift the current is -- from people who live near the area ?
If it's fairly deep near the shorline, I could envision (sadly !) Nicola falling in by accident and sucked under the water by a current ?
M00.
I will do some digging.

<modsnip - quoted post and response to it removed>

It'd be interesting to get someone's 'take' on that river, and how swift the current is -- from people who live near the area ?
If it's fairly deep near the shorline, I could envision (sadly !) Nicola falling in by accident and sucked under the water by a current ?
M00.
This would be upsetting, but do you think the conditions facilitate an accident? Surely someone going purposefully close to a shoreline would take their phone with them, especially if it was on a teams call?

Also, I found this:
The typical recent level of the River Wyre at St Michaels over the past 12 months has been between 0.00m and 1.81m

River Wyre at St Michaels

https://riverlevels.uk › wyre-upper-rawcliffe-with-tarnacre...

This would be upsetting, but do you think the conditions facilitate an accident? Surely someone going purposefully close to a shoreline would take their phone with them, especially if it was on a teams call?
I personally think accident is more likely than intentional, her reported "struggles" notwithstanding.

If I were listening to a conference call where I wasn't expected to speak, I would expect there to be plenty of times when I would assess that my going out of earshot for a few seconds wouldn't present any problem. MOO of course.

However, unless she had a suicide note in her pocket, or is found to have been assaulted or killed prior to entering the water, I don't suppose we will ever know for sure what happened to her. MOO

Also, I found this:
The typical recent level of the River Wyre at St Michaels over the past 12 months has been between 0.00m and 1.81m

River Wyre at St Michaels

https://riverlevels.uk › wyre-upper-rawcliffe-with-tarnacre...
We have to remember that a river is not a swimming pool or canal with a smooth flat bottom. The typical water level, especially averaged over both time and location, is not going to mean there aren't deep pools in some places and shallow riffles in others. MOO

We have to remember that a river is not a swimming pool or canal with a smooth flat bottom. The typical water level, especially averaged over both time and location, is not going to mean there aren't deep pools in some places and shallow riffles in others. MOO
That is true.

Last edited:
My heart is aching - for Nicola, and for her poor little children. Their young, innocent lives have been shattered.

My belief is that Nicola was a very nice person. I can see it in her eyes, and in her smile. That she is not still with us is a tragedy.

Eternal peace to you, dear girl.

Of course. Like I said: this is not what I think happened. But it is possible. You have to look at every possible scenario as a detective, no?
Respectfully I disagree. I believe detectives should follow the evidence whilst remaining open to all possibilities should any evidence lead them in a new direction. Looking at every possible scenario would be an impossible task IMO.

I do think the police have considered alternative scenarios as evidenced by the searches of surrounding areas / buildings, checks of CCTV and requests for dashcam footage (at a minimum). They may have taken forensics from the bench area but we wouldn’t necessarily be privy to that information.

Just out of interest what more do you think they could have done to consider the alternative scenarios?

I guess we will never know if it was suicide or a tragic accident.
Good synoptic statement. I was open to other things -- crime-related scenarios. Somehow, I couldn't get my mind around either of the other options, the self-harm or tragic accident. However, your comment is true in the end. It appears unknowable at this point. It helps to know when to say "I was wrong," and to know when to surrender our own perceptions to something more objective than our own thoughts.

I think it has to be assumed that the welfare check on Jan 10th played a large role in the LP's opinion that Nicola went into the water. We don't know what that visit was about so we can't say what information the LP were working from. But they knew. And as it turned out, they were correct.

I guess we will never know if it was suicide or a tragic accident.
I don't know if it will ever be a sure thing that she went into the water by the bench. The phone being there and the dog running between the fence and bench doesn't convince me. It's possible, but also possible she entered or fell in somewhere else. This tragedy still doesn't make sense IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W4R_DR1V3R