SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure. It was also interesting watching the heads in the gallery pop up when the question was asked and the look on DH's face was hilarious. You can see more of that on the L&C feed here at 4:16:33

It looked like a demon had surfaced.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-26 4.21.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-26 4.21.05 PM.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 14
So far, I believe the charges are all SC and I'm perplexed by that. One would think that tax evasion at the state level would result in the IRS auditing his federal taxes - surely he put the same numbers on both returns? Maybe not.

I thought Ponzi schemes were against federal law as well:

I've been explaining this to myself by thinking that SC will try him first (he faces 900-1000 years in prison) and if he gets more than 100 years for the financial crimes - perhaps the feds will save themselves the expense? I'm guessing that he could get a cushier prison from the Feds and maybe that's something SC would prefer not happen. I truly don't know.

Perry in Pelzer is medium security, 3 1/2 hours from Hampton.

Jmo

okay so I can't stop thinking about the way Mags sounded on the phone when Gloria suffered her fatal injuries
on the property..I'm not going to say she fell over the dogs on the stairs or whatever because who knows..?

but her affect is just , well she sounds annoyed and put out..even disgusted..she is definitely put out and you can hear it in her voice..there is no urgency even though it's a life and death emergency. This woman has practically lived with them for 20 years..Mags sounds like her day is just ruined...

later in the Netflix thing or was it here, someone said Mags was hysterical over Gloria's fall..yet when she calls 911 you get zero sense of anything... she's an "employee" ...she's just making noises or something...

I cannot right this with what we are told about her...the sweetest ..the best ever..etc..so is she angry on the 911 call because of Alex..has he already got an angle on the insurance settlement he can steal?

it really does make you wonder, does anyone think it's odd that PauPau and Mags were killed with two different firearms? mOO
I agree about the phone conversation. I'm very surprised there has not been more media interviews, not to mention testimony regarding MM and who she was aside from her sister. Where are the local female friends or the Edisto female friends?? Surely she had female friends and not just the residents who shunned her as has been implied. Where are the 4th of July friends?? I don't get it.

AFAIK, AM has only state charges against him. The tax evasion charge was brought by the State of SC. I have seen no reports of the federal government bringing tax evasion charges against AM. If there are any federal charges, could someone provide a link so I can add to my file. TIA. moo

So far, I can't find any federal charges against him. When this trial is over, he's held without bail for SC charges and will proceed towards trial.

I haven't a clue as to what happens if the Feds also file charges - but I'm thinking they don't want the expense and will likely only do so if it looks as if SC goes too easily on AM (but I don't think that's going to happen - I think he's going to get a very long sentence in SC, indeed).

IMO.
I haven’t seen any Federal charges either, but you would think that the IRS and US Attorney General would be filing some on tax evasion.
JMO

December 16, 2022 State of South Carolina indicted him for State tax evasion for several years.

[…]
Nine counts of willful attempt to evade or defeat a tax were added to Murdaugh’s charges Friday. Prosecutors said he dodged nearly $487,000 in state income taxes. He faces up to five years in prison on each count if convicted.

Most of the other charges against Murdaugh deal with either stealing $8.8 million in lawsuit settlement money from badly injured clients, or families of people killed in wrecks or on the job, as well as a drug ring and money laundering scheme,according to the indictments handed down in nearly two dozen waves since September 2021.

Friday’s indictments show Murdaugh reported nearly $14 million in gross adjusted income from the firm on tax returns over the course of nine years, while prosecutors said he also stole nearly $7 million meant for the firm’s bank accounts and failed to pay taxes on the ill-gotten gains.
[…]

I don't know, the double murder conviction could be a problem for AM, if he is convicted. He would be considered "Level 5" offender in the South Carolina system, with a violent offense, and long sentence if he gets life. He would go straight to maximum security prison. Shudder.

Well, he would be right where he belongs, with other drug addict thieves, murderers. I bet AM sees himself as "better" than folks in prison. I hope he is convicted and goes straight to state prison.
He will be in his element and will trade legal advice and help for commissary goods. He may even have opportunities to file class action suits...shower slip and falls, food tray accidents, food poisoning, etc. His people will stick with him, send him packages and mail and if he can stretch out the financial criminal trials long enough, he'll get to take several mini vacations in local jails while he's on trial and at least see how the trees have grown. I believe he will do very well for himself in prison. I hope he gets to go.
jmo

It drives me bonkers that AM repeats the question he was asked before he answers it. I only noticed him doing it excessively when he was being cross-examined. To me, that is an indication of him stalling, trying to formulate the "correct" answer (or remember which lie he told), and establish control of the situation (in his mind). Between that tactic and him talking in circles full of needless information (IMO to clutter the information field and confuse the jury), I had to walk away several times. The aura of narcissism and gaslighting that exudes from him is nauseating. IMO MOO

2DBDE130-D016-49A7-9136-28CBFE922D3A.png

If looks could kill. It’s definitely an eye contact moment. The dynamics of this relationship may not stand the test of time. This may be the biggest life lesson he needs to learn from.

Buster didn’t seem nervous to me for most of his questioning. He has made more looks off the stand than on.

This seems to be a major issue because why did he leave them out there with no vehicle?

Surely he should have said they walked?

I don’t fully understand why he lied this way because surely they must have gone out together.

Up until Thursday when AM admitted being at the kennels --driving the golf cart to and from, little effort was spent pondering whether they traveled together on the golf cart because the golf cart was parked at the residence when police arrived.

Since it's never been clear to me where exactly in relation to the kennels John Marvin's truck, Buster's truck, or the farm truck were located when police arrived, I was convinced MM and PM rode the 4-wheeler that was located near MM's body.

Or PM rode the 4-wheeler ahead of AM/MM who rode out together in the golf cart. JMO

Reference Chapman's testimony at link below.

Personally, I think he purposefully shot from low angles to deflect suspicion from himself.

He's an avid hunter. He could have easily practiced these kind of shots ahead of time when no one else was around.
Also I suspect he couldn't look down the barrel at them and pull the trigger. Shooting from the hip felt...better somehow, to him; detached, as it were

I haven’t seen any Federal charges either, but you would think that the IRS and US Attorney General would be filing some on tax evasion.
JMO

December 16, 2022 State of South Carolina indicted him for State tax evasion for several years.

[…]
Nine counts of willful attempt to evade or defeat a tax were added to Murdaugh’s charges Friday. Prosecutors said he dodged nearly $487,000 in state income taxes. He faces up to five years in prison on each count if convicted.

Most of the other charges against Murdaugh deal with either stealing $8.8 million in lawsuit settlement money from badly injured clients, or families of people killed in wrecks or on the job, as well as a drug ring and money laundering scheme,according to the indictments handed down in nearly two dozen waves since September 2021.

Friday’s indictments show Murdaugh reported nearly $14 million in gross adjusted income from the firm on tax returns over the course of nine years, while prosecutors said he also stole nearly $7 million meant for the firm’s bank accounts and failed to pay taxes on the ill-gotten gains.
[…]
I was looking for federal indictments a couple of weeks ago and found references to ongoing investigations by the FBI and Justice Dept. but nothing that was solid enough to post. IDK if we'll see something come from the Feds if SC cannot get convictions but it would be nice. If he cheated on his federal taxes, that's stealing from all of us and that's not okay.

thank you. I couldnt remember if it was validated. PM's swollen feet...health issue. its interesting he brought this up as the last conversation he had with MM. someone correct me if I am wrong, I swore he said in one story he and MM discussed this at dinner. so was this a continuation of the conversation down at the kennels during his very brief appearance at the kennel? and doesnt remember when she left to go down there or how? when did paul leave the house after they ate? did paul and maggie go together? and then on cross he said he probably discussed paw paw and his condition with MM down at the kennels while he sat on the golf cart...well: * I think, or I imagine I would say that*<----- typical answers from him. he hurts my heado_O

Yes -- AM forgot he used that rehearsed line in his first lie that he last saw MM when eating dinner together in the TV room, and they talked about PM's health.

But now that AM was forced to say he last saw MM at the kennels, he couldn't think of another story to replace what he'd already rehearsed! JMO

He will be in his element and will trade legal advice and help for commissary goods. He may even have opportunities to file class action suits...shower slip and falls, food tray accidents, food poisoning, etc. His people will stick with him, send him packages and mail and if he can stretch out the financial criminal trials long enough, he'll get to take several mini vacations in local jails while he's on trial and at least see how the trees have grown. I believe he will do very well for himself in prison. I hope he gets to go.
jmo
Yep, it’s not the way most of us would want to live. But there is life in prison. I remember Jodi Arias making a glib comment )before or during her trial) that she was looking forward to starting her new life in prison. Not the exact words but something along those lines.

You are right, Buster and others will make sure his commissary account has $ and he will no doubt be asked for his “expert advice” a lot. He will be able to gloat and enjoy something of a life. Unlike PM and MM.

And work on his appeals. Of which I am sure there will be many.

Birds of a feather will flock together!

I agree about the phone conversation. I'm very surprised there has not been more media interviews, not to mention testimony regarding MM and who she was aside from her sister. Where are the local female friends or the Edisto female friends?? Surely she had female friends and not just the residents who shunned her as has been implied. Where are the 4th of July friends?? I don't get it.
Maybe they will come forward during sentencing and give an impact statements.

edit: removed bad grammar.

Last edited:
Up until Thursday when AM admitted being at the kennels --driving the golf cart to and from, little effort was spent pondering whether they traveled together on the golf cart because the golf cart was parked at the residence when police arrived.

Since it's never been clear to me where exactly in relation to the kennels John Marvin's truck, Buster's truck, or the farm truck were located when police arrived, I was convinced MM and PM rode the 4-wheeler that was located near MM's body.

Or PM rode the 4-wheeler ahead of AM/MM who rode out together in the golf cart. JMO

Reference Chapman's testimony at link below.

This is a drone video taken the morning after the videos, but the quality is not great

You can also see some vehicles in this video, but I'm not sure who they belong to

View attachment 405667

If looks could kill. It’s definitely an eye contact moment. The dynamics of this relationship may not stand the test of time. This may be the biggest life lesson he needs to learn from.

Buster didn’t seem nervous to me for most of his questioning. He has made more looks off the stand than on.
I was thinking about Buster this afternoon. What will life hold for him after all this? Will he make a life of his own, or will the remaining Murdaugh clan pick up where Alex left off? Will he ever get a law degree and perpetuate the cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname