GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank Rogan Gibson too--because even before the video surfaced, he was willing to tell the police the very next day that he had heard Alex on the phone call at the kennels....and told Maggie's parents that in the days right after the murders, with Alex standing right nearby (and I'm pretty sure that by that point he had heard Alex say that he hadn't been down at the kennels).
And Alex's sketch sure did look like RG. Coincidence? Subconscious? Who knows.

Judge Newman is known as a more harsher sentencing Judge in general. I expect to see Life without Parole for Alex, there isn't a more heinous crime that I can think of that deserves it.

60 years = 30 years each count murder (2 counts) Can run concurrently or consecutively, I predict consecutively
10 years = 5 years use of deadly weapon during commission of murder
=========
70 years

moo

I see that I have 119 notifications. I'm guessing I won't get to check them all out. So I'll just say that it has been a pleasure spending time with the group on this forum. Everyone cared (no matter their opinion of the outcome) and we all found a way to find moments of relief through humour. (ok, I just gave myself away as a Canadian, didn't I?)

Special thanks to @Edvis for stocking the train and keeping us on a somewhat even keel, despite the offerings from the bar, chickens, feral hogs and our unruly behaviour at times. (sorry, gotta go with my Canadian/British spelling again. Can I interest any of you in a Bloody Caesar?)
Or you could equally have been an Australian (and that's a compliment, mate!)

@Edvis
Thank you for keeping things light hearted here on the threads. The subject matter was very dark and depressing at times. It was wonderful to have you and others who could make us smile during such sad, sad case.
Thank you for your input and being a part of something special in a case that tore a family and town apart and at the same time brought people together for one cause, to seek answers for those tragically lost. We may have tipped on the rails at times and tested the limit's but do hope the powers that be here see how so many were unified as a family to help bring some sort of closure to a case. Blessings to all the extended family that came together here and proved that beautiful things can grow from a bad situation.

Rev. Raymond Johnson, a pastor from Pisgah Baptist Church in Marion, S.C., was on hand after the verdict carrying a sign that read, "Justice."

"Justice is here," said Johnson. "He (Murdaugh) needs an Academy award for his performance (in the court) but he could not outperform God ... A Daddy is supposed to protect his wife and children, you aren't supposed to hurt your wife and child."

Thank you for your input and being a part of something special in a case that tore a family and town apart and at the same time brought people together for one cause, to seek answers for those tragically lost. We may have tipped on the rails at times and tested the limit's but do hope the powers that be here see how so many were unified as a family to help bring some sort of closure to a case. Blessings to all the extended family that came together here and proved that beautiful things can grow from a bad situation.
My Maggie and Paul both rest in peace. Alex Murdaugh will neve be able to hurt another vulnerable person. Many thanks to the Jury, for their patience and deliberation of Facts ending in a Guilty Verdict. So thankful for this community right here.

I wonder if this issue will come back to hurt this case during appeals process:

Newman: Two other people were interviewed in an in-chambers, on-the-record hearing about their contact with that juror. "Both of those individuals waffled on the nature and the extent of the contact.”

Newman: "The juror has had contact or discussions concerning the case with at least three individuals, though it does not appear the discussion was that extensive." But it did involve the juror offering her opinion on evidence presented at trial.

Newman is removing that juror and replacing her with an alternate. We are down to one alternate now.

Defense attorney Dick Harpootlian isn’t happy about this juror issue and how the matter was investigated. He says SLED handled the juror investigation. One agent handling it was a witness in this case. Another was an investigator in the Murdaugh murders investigation.

Harpootlian: “It is muddled. But we would defer to your judgment. … “SLED has made another bad judgment in this case. This is just a continuum of a calamity of errors.”

So the defense is complaining because the 2 agents who investigated the juror were both involved with the trial?

I think ALL available and local agents were involved with this case, most likely. But I wonder if this could be used during appeal----especially if the juror did not really do anything wrong?

Uhhh....no. I have a red dot. You can't see it at hip level. The shooter must shoulder the arm and peer through the rear of the sight.

I think he's confusing a "red dot" with a laser (Crimson Trace, etc), which does allow the shooter to shoot to a visible point of light, which reflects off of the target, if it has been properly sighted in, and that it has a live battery.

Thank you Pruddennce for the you -tube link. Watching it, as the verdicts were read out, on the left side of AM there is a picture on the wall. Is that AM Grandfather or relation on the wall, I think someone mentioned it at the beggining of the trial some one said it was.
IMO hopefully there will be more investigation into Gloria Slatterfield and Stephen Smith. People may be able to speak up.
Yes!! Time for justice for Stephen Smith!!!!!

[...]

According to my sources, the first vote of the newly configured jury as it began deliberating shortly after 3:50 p.m. EST was 11-1 in favor of ‘guilty.’ It took only approximately two hours and twenty minutes for all twelve to reach consensus.

At approximately 6:00 p.m. EST, jurors indicated to court officials they would not need to have dinner delivered to them. This was the first indication that the lone holdout on the panel had been swayed …

The next indication came as one of the bailiffs in the courtroom instructed members of the gallery at around 6:50 p.m. EST to refrain from making any sounds “whether you agree with the verdict or not.”

After that, things began moving swiftly – and by 7:02 p.m. EST judge Newman entered the courtroom and announced that a verdict had been reached. Three minutes later, at 7:05 p.m. EST, he addressed the forewoman.

[…]

'Murdaugh Murders' Trial: Alex Murdaugh Guilty On All Counts - FITSNews

His lawyers, Griffin and Harpootlian, are not going to support an appeal. They came onboard for Paul's boat accident and were lampooned into defending Alex's murder charges.

Alex's lawyers seemed to step aside when the verdict was read. It was Harpootlian's last trial, his last stance on truth and justice; an enormous fail. He is only as good as his last verdict. Harpootlian will never have another trial that aces this. He endorsed the family name, and was fooled.

Alex needs new lawyers for his appeal. He will never stop calling the shots. I hope the prison where he serves is aware of his polished dangerous personality.

View attachment 406686
<derogatory nickname> has already been quoted on the appeal. (I learned that nickname from a friend in SC).

Alex Murdaugh Convicted of Murdering Wife and Son

“Dick Harpootlian, one of Mr. Murdaugh’s lawyers, said he planned to appeal the verdict.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Newman: Two other people were interviewed in an in-chambers, on-the-record hearing about their contact with that juror. "Both of those individuals waffled on the nature and the extent of the contact.”

Newman: "The juror has had contact or discussions concerning the case with at least three individuals, though it does not appear the discussion was that extensive." But it did involve the juror offering her opinion on evidence presented at trial.

Newman is removing that juror and replacing her with an alternate. We are down to one alternate now.

Defense attorney Dick Harpootlian isn’t happy about this juror issue and how the matter was investigated. He says SLED handled the juror investigation. One agent handling it was a witness in this case. Another was an investigator in the Murdaugh murders investigation.

Harpootlian: “It is muddled. But we would defer to your judgment. … “SLED has made another bad judgment in this case. This is just a continuum of a calamity of errors.”

So the defense is complaining because the 2 agents who investigated the juror were both involved with the trial?

I think ALL available and local agents were involved with this case, most likely. But I wonder if this could be used during appeal----especially if the juror did not really do anything wrong?
I think it was established the juror did do something wrong. Discussing the case to any degree is against the judge’s instructions and Judge Newman said she expressed her opinion of his guilt or innocence and evidence. All attorneys were present when the interviews took place and heard what the discussions were. The guess is that she thought Alex was innocent and that is why the defense did not want her dismissed, the SLED angle/objection was all they had to use, they tainted or coerced the interviews, another issue to include on the list against SLED but do not think it will be a successful appeal
moo

Last edited:
Newman is known as a tough sentencer. The veteran judge denied defense attorneys' request for a mistrial after the verdicts were read, saying the "evidence of guilt is overwhelming.

And just before excusing the jury, Newman said he agreed with their decision.

"The circumstantial evidence, direct evidence — all of the evidence pointed to one conclusion, and that's the conclusion that you all reached," Newman told the 12 jurors.

Thank you Pruddennce for the you -tube link. Watching it, as the verdicts were read out, on the left side of AM there is a picture on the wall. Is that AM Grandfather or relation on the wall, I think someone mentioned it at the beggining of the trial some one said it was.
IMO hopefully there will be more investigation into Gloria Slatterfield and Stephen Smith. People may be able to speak up.
No, there was a picture of AM grandfather on the wall but it was removed for this trial.

Thought I heard the judge reply that SLED was not involved in the process of investigating the juror, but I don't have an exact quote, so words to that effect, I believe.

edited to add quote and video

Judge Newman "the court has not had any discussion with any SLED agents concerning this issue and all the inquiry by the court has been directly with the suspected parties involved and with the juror"

starts at about 4.40m

Last edited:
cocktail lounge car is rocking and will be open all night, get in here and shake the rails with us and the chicken is passing out free eggs, not asking where he got em but oh well lol. The sleeper cars are available if you get a touch typsy so enjoy the well deserved evening
How about a Scotch Egg or a Pickled Egg on that menu?!

He has no business reassuring his son that it ok. It's not ok.
And Buster will only be ok because he was in Rock Hill, SC on 6/7/21. If he would have been at Moselle, he’d probably be with Mags and Pau Pau.

I hope Buster goes on to have a productive life and doesn’t continue to get manipulated by AM (I won’t refer to him as his father). He will still have many more privileges than most, so I hope he uses them for the good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member