VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The teacher should sue the boy’s family for letting him have access to a gun.

I think a child who is that psychopathic at age 6 is likely irredeemable.

I really don’t think that violent kids should be inflicted on ordinary kids. Their right to education (that they probably can’t engage with anyway) doesn’t trump everyone else’s right to physical safety.
Excellent post. I totally agree.

Will this happen again? How long before it happens again?

How long will it be before arriving at public school is akin to passing through airport security?

It already is, in many schools. And has been for over a decade. The issue is that it isn't consistent and lax administrators don't want to acknowledge that things have changed. There is also a component of SES, that inner city schools in Las Vegas have metal detectors, but not upper class schools in Palo Alto. They forget that one of the worst school shootings was in Colombine, by upper middle class teens. And a disbelief that metal detectors are needed in elementary schools on first grade level children.

Things have changed.

I don't see how that child could (or should) ever be in a general ed classroom/school ever again. He could switch schools but word travels fast and I'm sure the teachers and staff would know who he is.
I have no doubt this will not be this child's last violent act: he has a history of behavioral issues and the school was warned the day he shot that teacher that they were afraid of him. I see him as a time bomb that went off once- his age has saved him from being charged: in a few more years, by the time he is 12 for example, and he commits an act of violence, he will be charged.

I have no doubt this will not be this child's last violent act: he has a history of behavioral issues and the school was warned the day he shot that teacher that they were afraid of him. I see him as a time bomb that went off once- his age has saved him from being charged: in a few more years, by the time he is 12 for example, and he commits an act of violence, he will be charged.

And, it seems the local LE and/or government might be afraid of his parents and taking legal action.

Folks, I think the Murdaugh case is proof positive that nobody is outside the law.

I have a feeling that the family's anonymity WILL eventually be breached, and whether the child was in foster care (as I have suspected all along) or not, it's gonna knock a LOT of socks off.

I don't see how that child could (or should) ever be in a general ed classroom/school ever again. He could switch schools but word travels fast and I'm sure the teachers and staff would know who he is.
I don't think he should be with other kids either, but districts have a way of shuffling problem children back and forth. And they rarely announce it but a child that age is almost sure to let the cat out of the bag. Then, parents would complain--I know I would.

The only thing I can see stopping that cycle is if a psychologist diagnoses the child with a disorder that makes him dangerous to others (as he is). Then, perhaps, they can have him attend a special school for behaviorally challenged kids where the teachers are more aware of the dangers, and better safeguards are in place.

Only guessing, though.

RSBM

That's assuming the law is enacted upon a person. So far, no one is facing charges in this case. How often does LE wait two months (and counting) to file charges in similar situations??
LE is not the decision maker. It's up to the DA.

I do feel, it all goes back to liability. If the parents are charged, would the school face greater liability? I don't know. Moo

I do feel report are asking and the response is the child will not be charged. Well, we all know the child can't be charged and should NOT, even if the law allowed. What about others?
Moo...

I just wish the reporter had asked follow-up questions to Mr DA.

Yes, it's unthinkable to charge a 6 year old... not even sure why that aspect would be considered "news". My comments/thoughts have always been about "the others" who should be charged.

ETA: As far as LE and DA... you are correct, the DA decides who will/won't be charged. I'm surprised LE didn't arrest anyone!

I just wish the reporter had asked follow-up questions to Mr DA.

Yes, it's unthinkable to charge a 6 year old... not even sure why that aspect would be considered "news". My comments/thoughts have always been about "the others" who should be charged.
The COP is no longer participating in the FB as the Chief. Moo...to avoid questions. COP has publicly spoke of accountability for the adults. I feel he pretty much wants to charge someone. I think the DA is the hold up. Moo...

I am still holding out hope. The ATF was involved in the search, along with NNPD. Maybe a higher power will take over, if the local authorities do not.

I wonder if NNPD could be sued for failing to take action. I don't know, just a long shot. I do know the question was ask in a recent CNN interview.

All my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member