TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

Speculation that perp's orientation / gender identity is somehow related is not based on any known fact. No different than if LE specifies male/female, Caucasian/Black, Catholic/Protestant etc, it is simply a descriptor, not an indicator that such a descriptor is a factor in the crime.

As for pronoun, they/them is fine, but UNLESS there is information from LE or in MSM that this individual's gender is somehow a consideration or related to motive, such speculation is off limits.

Do private schools receive state funding or just public schools?
Some states have school choice voucher programs. With school choice voucher programs, students attend the school of their choice, whether public or private.

"The state provides a set amount of money, typically based on the state's per-pupil amount, for private school tuition. There are currently 27 voucher programs in 16 states and the District of Columbia. (Mar 24, 2021)

Hale, who had also started to go by the name Aiden, was shot dead by police on site at 10:27 a.m.

A Tik Tok account under the name iam_aiden10 which linked to other social media associated with Hale had a final video posted of a person’s shadow, which showed them bouncing a basketball and then a basketball net, an apparent tribute to a friend who had passed.

On the screen, it displayed the words: “For Syd. I look up the sky is bright. It’s a beautiful day. I wish you were here…”

In online profiles, Hale is listed as having attended the Nossi College of Art and most recently worked as a shopper for Shipt, a grocery delivery service.

Another local said they had seen the shooter yesterday and that she lived at the home with her mother Norma, who works at a church nearby, and father Ron, who is self-employed.

They described Hale as reserved and spoke very little and said she has a brother in law school in Brooklyn.

The source told The Post: “The parents are very nice people, especially Norma. We’re just shocked. We would see the daughter from time to time, she was very reserved, and very quiet.

“She would just park her car and go inside. She didn’t say much at all.”
Her mom works for a church. She attended at least one Christian school. Her brother is a high achiever in law school. She still lives at home. She studied to be a graphic designer and ended up as a shopper for Shipt. There are are many reasons that she might have felt out of place or like an outsider besides the gender/identity issues.

There have been 129 mass shootings in the USA so far this year (86 days).
I am speechless. I can't imagine the shock and sorrow of the families.
Many prayers for them.

JMO

My pastor and his family relocated to the Nashville area a few years ago, and considered sending their 3 youngest kids (they have 7 total - this is not a typo) to that school. They know one of the pastors, and he's OK, physically anyway.

Not the first time this kind of thing has happened, either. The shooting that inspired the song "I Don't Like Mondays", which had no fatalities, was done by a female shooter, and this one was too.

Apparently, gender/identity is one of the theories that's being investigated. (per link, approx 4:04) So, I guess we are waiting on confirmation before we can discuss?

The Police Chief said at the linked press conference that the shooter left a manifesto and LE has a theory for the motive based on the manifesto. Hopefully they will release the documents so we can understand the motive here.

If someone gets through childhood without some type of major issue, I congratulate them. Bullies. Bad teachers. Abuse. Illness. Death. Neglect. Etc. I have yet to come across a person where some issue hasn't profoundly affected them.

Somehow....some folks don't get beyond these things ...and some, evidently believe that shooting children is an appropriate answer. It's a sad state, isn't it, Rod?

(Ps good to "see" you).

Imho

It's very good to "see" you too.

I know lots of people who believe they had no "major issues" in childhood, but when I get to know them (many are my elders), I wonder at their worldview and their courage.

I think maybe we're looking at the same type of mental states that cause people like Bryan Kohberger (if he is guilty) to kill. Or even Kemper or Bundy. Generally have multiple loose screws, but no more than many, many people who do not shoot children.

<modsnip: Any speculation about drugs is not based on any known fact>

IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that LE quickly found a manifesto, physical maps, etc. in the home the shooter shared with her family. It could not have been all that hidden if they found it within hours, right?

In the first press conference the chief of police definitively stated there were no other gunshot wounds. He said directly that all 6 people who were shot were killed.

My point was that in mass shootings, you often have large numbers of people wounded because the shooter indiscriminately shoots into crowded rooms. Here, that didn't happen - she appeared to be targeting people because every person she shot, she killed.

In the PC from a few minutes ago LE now confirm this is a "targeted attack." They did not clarify if she was looking for specific people or what but it is clear that she did not indiscriminately shoot into classrooms.

Maybe her plan was to shoot indiscriminately into classrooms after she murdered her target and she wasn't able to because of the quick actions of LE.

I don't think she shot indiscriminately, per se. I imagine it rather differently but it's too grim to discuss.

I suspect the adults were targeted, though. We should learn more soon enough.

IMO.

I wonder if it is appropriate to discuss school shootings with elementary school students or not. Maybe if they bring it up.

Although, when I was in elementary school, we had "nuclear bomb" drills. As if that isn't mentally disturbing, I don't know what is...

Apparently, gender/identity is one of the theories that's being investigated. (per link, approx 4:04) So, I guess we are waiting on confirmation before we can discuss?

From the writings that LE found at the killer's home, it looks like Hale targeted another location as well, but decided against it due to the security at that location. So Hale targeted the more vulnerable Covenant School. These victims were targeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CumulativeHazard