VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
'We're ready' | Abby Zwerner's attorney talks next steps in lawsuit against NNPS

13News Now confirmed with Newport News police that no one called law enforcement that day regarding the potential threat, a school policy we reviewed.

"There were failures in accountability on many levels that led to her being shot and almost killed by a 6-year-old student," said Toscano. "Abby was a dedicated, caring first-grade teacher. She isn't expendable. We're not going to allow them to move on as if nothing happened and that's why we're ready to file the lawsuit."

The top prosecutor hasn't pressed charges against the boy's parents at this time.

Toscano says she is paying close attention to Gwynn's decisions.

"It's important in a case of this magnitude to be able to give it 100% focus and get this done the way it needs to be done for Abby," said Toscano.

Watching closely for arrest of person responsible for keeping gun away from acutely disabled child. It only makes sense that the gun was not properly secured since the child had it . What is really going on here?

Watching closely for arrest of person responsible for keeping gun away from acutely disabled child. It only makes sense that the gun was not properly secured since the child had it . What is really going on here?
I have to suspect the person in question is somehow not able to be proven to have broken any laws.
At least, that's what we'll be told.

I have to suspect the person in question is somehow not able to be proven to have broken any laws.
At least, that's what we'll be told.
I've not heard or read, LE and DA were unable to prove the law was broken.

The last COP weekly meet with the COP, he stated he had turned over all information to the DA. It is in the hands of the DA and a decision has not been made. COP stated WE will heard on way or another.

I will try to ask the question again this week. Its Tuesdays at noon and 6pm. Anyone can type a question in comments, he goes down list in order, answers every question.

I really admire this COP, all about transparency.
MOO...

Wow, hope they post the interview.
Attorney stated the SBs liability insurance claims this is workman comp, and the employer can not be sued. They have taken the stand, this was part of her job and teachers can expect to be shot.

Attorneys stated in the suit, the parents did not want the child in special ed classes, choked a teacher last year. Failed to act, after 3 report, stating a child saw the gun. Virginia has laws, went an employer can be liable and they feel this meets those requirements.

MOO, of what the attorneys said.

Attorney stated the SBs liability insurance claims this is workman comp, and the employer can not be sued. They have taken the stand, this was part of her job and teachers can expect to be shot.

Attorneys stated in the suit, the parents did not want the child in special ed classes, choked a teacher last year. Failed to act, after 3 report, stating a child saw the gun. Virginia has laws, went an employer can be liable and they feel this meets those requirements.

The parents did not want the child in special ed classes?
Anything else on that?

RBBM

That is unacceptable.

Virginia teacher shot by 6-year-old files $40M lawsuit after she says school ignored warnings

From the link:

While in kindergarten at Richneck in the 2021-22 school year, the boy strangled and choked a teacher and was removed from the school, according to the complaint.

That same school year, the boy also pulled up the dress of a female student who had fallen on the playground, the complaint says, and “began to touch the child inappropriately until reprimanded by a teacher.”

The boy was transferred out of Richneck and placed in a different institution within the district, but was allowed to return for the 2022-23 school year when he was enrolled in Zwerner’s class.

Lawyer Jeffrey Breit disagreed with the idea that Zwerner’s negligence suit should be a workers’ compensation claim under Virginia law since theoretically, workers can’t sue their own employers.

But, he said, the shooting is “an exception” because “no 6-year-old student is going to be a risk of shooting their teacher. It’s not part of their job. It’s not a night 7-Eleven worker.”

Virginia teacher shot by 6-year-old files $40M lawsuit after she says school ignored warnings

“Teachers’ concerns with John Doe’s behavior was regularly brought to the attention of Richneck Elementary School administration, and the concerns were always dismissed,” the suit says. “Often when he was taken to the school office to address his behavior, he would return to the classroom shortly thereafter with some type of reward, such as a piece of candy.”

Last week, within days of the TN elementary shooting, our SB approved SROs in all schools including elementary.

The risk of being shot is greatly increasing in our schools. Will this become a high risk job? If so, they need training and protective gear. Never would I dream ....

MOO....

Not gonna happen, I fear.
I'm starting to agree.

For whatever reason, there will be no accountability. Seems this was the same practice at Richneck.

What caused/made the decision to ignore cries for action, child being allowed without parent/or one on one, and no response from the office. Per the first interview, AZ removed the children, walked to the office with a collapsed lung, and passed out. I would have thought administration would run to aid, when hearing gun fire, especially after the gun being reported. Gobsmacked!!!

MOO...

Last edited:
I've not heard or read, LE and DA were unable to prove the law was broken.

The last COP weekly meet with the COP, he stated he had turned over all information to the DA. It is in the hands of the DA and a decision has not been made. COP stated WE will heard on way or another.

I will try to ask the question again this week. Its Tuesdays at noon and 6pm. Anyone can type a question in comments, he goes down list in order, answers every question.

I really admire this COP, all about transparency.
MOO...
My apologies, I worded that terribly. I meant the person who owned the gun.
Meaning, the answer will possibly be that it's been unable to be proven that that person actually broke any laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn