VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a relationship of some sort between one of the parents & someone in the office for this 6 yr old to have received special treatment?

Over fifty years ago there was a special ed class for pupils that couldn’t keep up and rightfully so. 25 plus well behaved pupils don’t need 1 problem pupil to hold them back.

Jmo

Is there a relationship of some sort between one of the parents & someone in the office for this 6 yr old to have received special treatment?

Over fifty years ago there was a special ed class for pupils that couldn’t keep up and rightfully so. 25 plus well behaved pupils don’t need 1 problem pupil to hold them back.

Jmo
Clearly there is a reason why. Don't know if the public will ever know.
Jmo

Almost three months after Virginia teacher Abigail Zwerner was shot by a 6-year-old student, she filed a $40 million lawsuit Monday alleging school administrators shrugged off multiple warnings from staff and students who believed the boy had a gun and posed an imminent threat on the day of the shooting, and did so knowing the child "had a history of random violence."

The Jan. 6 shooting of Zwerner at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News stunned the country as police announced the child's actions were intentional. The student shot her with a 9 mm handgun while she sat at a reading table in their first-grade classroom, according to officials.

The injured educator's complaint, filed in the Newport News Circuit Court, says Richneck Assistant Principal Ebony Parker chose to "breach her assumed duty" to protect Zwerner, "despite multiple reports that a firearm was on school property and likely in possession of a violent individual."...

“Teachers' concerns with John Doe's behavior (were) regularly brought to the attention of Richneck Elementary School administration, and the concerns were always dismissed,” the lawsuit states. Often after he was taken to the office, “he would return to class shortly thereafter with some type of reward, such as a piece of candy," according to the lawsuit.
The boy's parents did not agree to put him in special education classes where he would be with other students with behavioral issues, the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit describes a series of warnings school employees gave administrators in the hours before the shooting, beginning with Zwerner, who went to the office of assistant principal Ebony Parker between 11:15 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. and told her the boy “was in a violent mood,” threatened to beat up a kindergartener and stared down a security officer in the lunchroom. The lawsuit alleges that Parker “had no response, refusing even to look up at (Zwerner) when she expressed her concerns.”
Kovac told Ebony Parker that the boy had told students he had a gun. Parker responded his "pockets were too small to hold a handgun and did nothing,” the lawsuit states.

I am also thinking the parents might need to be sued as well ?
According to the link, the weapon was on a high shelf and had a lock on it.
IMO --- I somewhat doubt that, considering this child should not have been able to access it.

To shoot Ms. Zwern the gun had to be loaded and the safety off.

This article has me seeing red !
Grrr.
Ugh.
Imo.

The lawsuit describes a series of warnings school employees gave administrators in the hours before the shooting, beginning with Zwerner, who went to the office of assistant principal Ebony Parker between 11:15 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. and told her the boy “was in a violent mood,” threatened to beat up a kindergartener and stared down a security officer in the lunchroom. The lawsuit alleges that Parker “had no response, refusing even to look up at (Zwerner) when she expressed her concerns.”
Kovac told Ebony Parker that the boy had told students he had a gun. Parker responded his "pockets were too small to hold a handgun and did nothing,” the lawsuit states.

RSBM

WHY did Ebony Parker behave this way? WHY did Ebony Parker refuse to even look at Ms Zwerner?

Where is Ebony Parker now?! Is Ebony Parker working/supervising children and teachers? Would any teachers trust her?

So I'm just going to say it out loud.

Is this a racial issue? Gender identity issue?
Some other controversial issue constantly in the headlines these days?
Threats of discrimination lawsuits, doxxing, "cancelling" going on?

I can't be the only one wondering this, right?

RSBM

WHY did Ebony Parker behave this way? WHY did Ebony Parker refuse to even look at Ms Zwerner?

Where is Ebony Parker now?! Is Ebony Parker working/supervising children and teachers? Would any teachers trust her?
I found this section of the article I've linked important :

".... Michelle Price, a spokesperson for the school board, Lisa Surles-Law, chair of the school board, and other board members did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment on the lawsuit. The former superintendent did not immediately return a message seeking comment left on his cellphone.

A message left on a cellphone listing for Ebony Parker was not immediately returned.

The Associated Press
couldn't immediately find a working phone number for Newton. Her attorney, Pamela Branch, has said that Newton was unaware of reports that the boy had a gun at school on the day of the shooting.

No one, including the boy, has been charged in the shooting. The superintendent was fired by the school board after the shooting, while the assistant principal resigned. A school district spokesperson has said Newton is still employed by the school district, but declined to say what position she holds...."
Red emphasis mine.

Say what ?
They are employed by the school district, imo they should all be able to be contacted.
What in the world was going on at that school ?
Smh.

Not only Ms. Zwerner, but the other students' lives could have been at risk that day !

I'm certain that the other parents of the children have considered this as well ?
M00.

So I'm just going to say it out loud.

Is this a racial issue? Gender identity issue?
Some other controversial issue constantly in the headlines these days?
Threats of discrimination lawsuits, doxxing, "cancelling" going on?

I can't be the only one wondering this, right?
I've wondered if the boy's parents are related or have some unknown connection to the school administration ?
This entire tragedy is so egregious.
What would've been the reaction by the admin. if a child had been shot and injured, or even died ?
M00.

"The boy's parents did not agree to put him in special education classes where he would be with other students with behavioral issues, the lawsuit states."

I am also thinking the parents might need to be sued as well ?
According to the link, the weapon was on a high shelf and had a lock on it.
IMO --- I somewhat doubt that, considering this child should not have been able to access it.

To shoot Ms. Zwern the gun had to be loaded and the safety off.

This article has me seeing red !
Grrr.
Ugh.
Imo.
Quote in article snipped by me, respectfully.

My question, now knowing this was in the legal filing, just how and why did the parents " not agree" with the 'specified plan' to put the boy in special ed classes? In so doing this, the school as well as the parents were negligent. The ' blaming' the parents has me further doubting the school's actions, however the glaring negligence ( IMO ) of the parents is now two-fold.
The failure of securing the gun, and the failure of following an IEP including a safety plan for the school and all it's occupants.

What happened to the links (and posts) related to this news report? I couldn't seem to find them. Maybe my search skills are lacking. Or is this news not allowed.

The Post learned that the 6-year-old was moved to a half-day schedule due to poor conduct in early September, and was suspended for a day after slamming Zwerner’s phone. But educators had long been vexed by the student, who previously attempted to strangle his kindergarten teacher, according to two school employees and records obtained by The Post

On Sept. 5, Zwerner wrote in a text message to her friend that officials were being slow to offer updates on how to handle the child.
“I still haven’t gotten any info about [the student’s] half day schedule,” Zwerner wrote.

The friend wrote back that the 6-year-old “needs to be half days … They better stick to that for your sake.” The friend added that administrators’ “communication and accountability aren’t good again this year.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-m...elementary-school-shooting-timeline-warnings/

Last edited:

Teacher who was shot files lawsuit against the Principal, Asst. Principal, and others

Gift Article from Wash. Post
After reading details of the many interviewed, I'm convinced the system does not support teachers.
Heck, no safety drill practice and its Jan, left kids wandering the halls.

My BIG question...where and how did administration respond in the minutes after the shooting? AZ had to secure her children and walk to the office.

Sickening, I just get a terrible feeling in my gut for these teachers and children.

MOO...

This makes me see red...
Please, tell me what else AZ could have done. It was reported numerous times and administration refused to search the child, call the parent or LE. Moo

"Mrs. Briana Foster-Newton will vigorously defend any charges brought against her as a part of the lawsuit filed by Ms. Zwerner and respond accordingly.
In addition, we are exploring the possibility of a countersuit as it has been brought to our attention that prior to the shooting,
another student in Ms. Zwerner’s class warned her in class that the six-year-old shooter had a gun and Ms. Zwerner allegedly told the student to sit down and be quiet.
If this is true, Ms.Zwerner may have been able to avoid the injury she suffered and this will certainly impact her claimed damages

This information was never reported to Mrs. Newton. Our investigation ofthis new information is on going."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member