FL - Boy, 3, found hooked to ventilator w/no pulse rotting in bed *GRAPHIC*, Bartow, 26 May 2023 *arrests*

Two people are behind bars after deputies say a child who nearly drowned three years ago died in their care earlier this month.

According to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, crews with Bartow Fire Rescue received a call from a woman around 3 p.m. saying that her toddler's pulse oximeter wasn't working properly, but it was not an emergency. However, when emergency responders arrived, they say they found a 3-year-old boy without a pulse hooked to a ventilator breathing machine. The child was taken to an area hospital where he died.

Detectives say the child had extensive injuries, including a severely bloated belly, numerous open sores and his colon was visible. They added there were several abrasions on the child’s back consistent with bed sores and he smelled of decomposition.

"This child was rotting in the bed," stated Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd.

According to investigators, the toddler had nearly drowned while at a vacation home in Davenport in the summer of 2020. Since then, detectives say the toddler has been connected to a ventilator due to the near drowning incident.

A free home health nurse had been assisting the child, but switched companies about two months ago and hadn’t been back to the home, according to PCSO.
*…there’s more but I’ve been trying to pull it together enough to post a title. I’m sorry but it’s so hard not to hate those people.
I likely can't stay on this thread...it's just too horrific. I just want to be here for this child, who deserved so much better in life.

(I'm heading off to gag now.)

Makes me wonder about the circumstances of the original near-drowning incident. He was 3, so he had to be under a year old in 2020. So it's not like he got out of his parents sight for a second and fell into a pool/pond/etc. I just can't imagine any way a baby under a year old could nearly drown that doesn't involve some degree of neglect.
Well with these loser parents, I bet there was some form of neglect.

However, I used to judge all parents of drowned children as negligent (should have been watching them 24/7 etc) until I unfortunately knew 2 families who lost their kids in different types of drownings. Both children had wonderful parents and it still happened. It can happen so fast. Most parents truly do their best. Any parent would be lying if they said they never ever took their eyes off their kids at any point during the day. Even if for a minute. And in a minute your kid can crawl out a dog door (or open a door that should be locked but an older kid forgot). In that minute, the parent is running around the house looking for their toddler going room to room. Before they think to look outside, the child has drowned.

The degree of neglect this child experienced the last 6+ months is profound. The fact that the mother was being paid/receiving benefits to be her child's "full-time caregiver" makes this even more maddening. Those of us paying into social security benefits are what funded her income (and the home care nurse they were dodging visits from) and then she mistreated and ignored this poor toddler, a fragile member of our society, until he died. And this equally useless dad apparently did nothing for his child either in terms of care or intervening.

Whatever punishment these two receive won't be enough IMO.

I woke up thinking about these despicable people wondering what went wrong after begging for child’s life to be continued In 2020. Why? Was it only for financial gain? Regardless and I know it’s Sunday, but I hate these two. prayer for forgiveness. later…

That seems likely for a toddler, but not a very young baby. I'm not sure how close the boy was to his 4th birthday, so it's possible he was a year or so old when it happened (depending on his birthday and when in 2020 this happened). I'm not a parent nor do I have much knowledge about developmental milestones, but if I'm remembering correctly most babies are able to crawl but not walk by their 1st birthday?
I pulled myself to stand at seven months and went straight to walking. While it's most common for babies to crawl first, there are always exceptions.

MOO

I know. And, the disabled child was probably getting Social Security, possibly even put the family to top of list for section 8 housing. So, it is a problem, when the "benefits" follow a child with disability, so the family wants the benefits...but the care is overwhelming.

It is often a problem. There is more...
And, let me add, this kid was not getting "free Health care"! Florida Medicaid has spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on rental of the specialized medical beds, 2 ventilators,feeding pump,oxygen,suction and salary for around-the-clock nursing care (required for a ventilator patient)...at least until Mom saw dollar signs and fired the nursing agency.

I just dont get it. If he was literally Jahi McMath at 10 months, why not just let him go at the hospital?

You have to watch 10 months olds like a hawk. It was their only child at the time. Its not like they can open a door, they had to have left him outside.

Has anyone found any news article on the original incident - drowning? I ask because drowning could have happened in a regular size pool or kiddie pool, a bathtub, a sink or even a bucket of water. There's also dry drowning, in which the body takes in too much water and it builds up in the lungs. They lay down to sleep and they drown. Obviously he wasn't supervised well at the time and suffered as a result.

According to investigators, the toddler had nearly drowned while at a vacation home in Davenport in the summer of 2020.

I wish the previous home care nurse who came 3x per week would be able to comment on her experiences in that household prior to their refusing care (I'm sure HIPPA prevents this) I'm wondering if the parents were already providing little to no care during the 4 days a week the nurse wasn't there and the nurse suspected this or perhaps even questioned the parents about it and that was the reason for the abrupt refusal of the home care nurse visits and the reason parents feared CPS would take their other children? Wonder if the nurse/company ever at least questioned the care he was receiving when they weren't present.

Or

They simply PLANNED to let this little one deteriorate until he died which is beyond terrible. He was on life support and doctors had recommended taking him off of it shortly after the accident 2+ years prior so why not just make the official decision to remove him from life support and let him die legally, quickly and peacefully if they were tired of him and overwhelmed with his care?

Again, really wish the nurse could legally share her experiences with this family....

I am so sorry I posted this thread to those who aren't able to tolerate the evil and depravity in this graphic case. I’ve been immersing myself into cases like this lately so I can harden my heart some. Each time I read a case about horrific child or elder abuse, I grow another layer of protection around my heart. These monsters need ‘outed‘ of public society and incarcerated into the world of Corrections. I despise the mom, especially, as she was mostly was in charge of the children’s care. How heartbreaking to care for this dying toddler as her other healthy children may have played around the home. What did she tell them about their brother who lived on this machine in a room?

That seems likely for a toddler, but not a very young baby. I'm not sure how close the boy was to his 4th birthday, so it's possible he was a year or so old when it happened (depending on his birthday and when in 2020 this happened). I'm not a parent nor do I have much knowledge about developmental milestones, but if I'm remembering correctly most babies are able to crawl but not walk by their 1st birthday?
The first birthday is the most common "yay, can walk!" mental deadline imho. Most babies learn to walk between 9 months of age and 18 months of age. My friend has a one year old and he is totally capable not only walking into a pool, but also picking up items on the way and taking these along, too, for good measure.

I wish the previous home care nurse who came 3x per week would be able to comment on her experiences in that household prior to their refusing care (I'm sure HIPPA prevents this) I'm wondering if the parents were already providing little to no care during the 4 days a week the nurse wasn't there and the nurse suspected this or perhaps even questioned the parents about it and that was the reason for the abrupt refusal of the home care nurse visits and the reason parents feared CPS would take their other children? Wonder if the nurse/company ever at least questioned the care he was receiving when they weren't present.

Or

They simply PLANNED to let this little one deteriorate until he died which is beyond terrible. He was on life support and doctors had recommended taking him off of it shortly after the accident 2+ years prior so why not just make the official decision to remove him from life support and let him die legally, quickly and peacefully if they were tired of him and overwhelmed with his care?

Again, really wish the nurse could legally share her experiences with this family....
Why can't the DA subpoena the home health nurse, treating physician and relevant care team to testify to the little guy's condition? I don't believe HIPPA applies in this case.

I am so sorry I posted this thread to those who aren't able to tolerate the evil and depravity in this graphic case. I’ve been immersing myself into cases like this lately so I can harden my heart some. Each time I read a case about horrific child or elder abuse, I grow another layer of protection around my heart. These monsters need ‘outed‘ of public society and incarcerated into the world of Corrections. I despise the mom, especially, as she was mostly was in charge of the children’s care. How heartbreaking to care for this dying toddler as her other healthy children may have played around the home. What did she tell them about their brother who lived on this machine in a room?
Please don’t feel sorry for posting this thread grandma. Your description and warning clearly suggests the reading will be horrific.

Like you, many of us have worked hard to grow a shell around our hearts but dang, some cases take us by surprise and that shell cracks into a million pieces. It’s not your fault nor is it our fault, sometimes the tears just fall no matter how hard we try to hold them back. It’s called empathy.

This case reminds me of poor Lacey Fletcher whose parents also stood by and watched her rot into a couch. Will we ever know what these people tell themselves that makes their neglectful behavior okay? I’m not sure I even want to understand.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back