FL - Boy, 3, found hooked to ventilator w/no pulse rotting in bed *GRAPHIC*, Bartow, 26 May 2023 *arrests*

I see your point. But my understanding is they turned away the replacement nurse after the other one changed agencies. I’m sure even with a nurse, there’s still a substantial amount of care needed. But why go on to have 2 more children.

Very said. I pray the child wasn’t conscious.
According to the article posted on page one:

A free home health nurse had been assisting the child, but switched companies about two months ago and hadn’t been back to the home, according to PCSO.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd says, when interviewed, the home health company stated that the child's parents began rejecting care last October. Judd says, according to the agency, the couple would not answer the door or would not be home when the nurse arrived.
Polk couple arrested in ‘bone chilling’ child abuse case

5:45 mark of the press conference references the parents saying they didn't want DCF to take their children, so they didn't call and claiming they had tried to get more home health care. Investigators spoke to home health care providers who said they had accepted them; we went there and wanted to see the child, they said don't wake the child up today, this is just an introduction. And the next time they went nobody answered the door. So obviously they were trying to create a facade or to say well we asked for help.....
Press conference: Couple arrested in child's death

Last edited:
above bolded by me
Yep, that's it -- keep the money rolling in. Grrrrrr. :-(

The compensation for 24/7 in home care is hardly livable. You can make more working outside the home. Plus, it is grueling work with no reprieve. The government just doesn't hand people money to pay caregiver and nurses. They Pau. She was not keeping this money or benefiting from not having other parties come in.

Polk couple arrested in ‘bone chilling’ child abuse case

5:45 mark of the press conference references the parents saying they didn't want DCF to take their children, so they didn't call and claiming they had tried to get more home health care. Investigators spoke to home health care providers who said they had accepted them; we went there and wanted to see the child, they said don't wake the child up today, this is just an introduction. And the next time they went nobody answered the door. So obviously they were trying to create a facade or to say well we asked for help.....

I am going to say, having worked the pandemic and coming out of the pandemic, finding staffing for Home Health and caregivers to give families respite/help has been a nightmare. People are waiting months, sometime years. Every state, city, and all over the country have massive shortages of home care providers. It is a revolving door of care and often subpar quality. So the break of care in this case is multifactorial. And snowballed.

I am guessing they did indeed try to get staffing earlier on. And the agencies couldn't staff and were trying to fill slots with warm bodies at times. Because the situation is so dire, often the schedules are dictated by the agency without any input from families. Usually with Medicaid you find an agency, they sell you on their staff and rainbows and butterflies, etc. Then you are pretty much stuck with them. Whether or not they can "staff" your case. It requires a lot of legwork, effort, and time to switch agencies. It is not easy.

The agency, and I have worked with many, are also playing the CYA game. This is really obvious. I truly hope the lapse of care is also looked at from the systemic staffing shortage going on in the country.

According to the sheriff’s office, the child appeared to still be alive and had a heartbeat on the night of May 11, but the following morning, the couple noticed that the child appeared bloated and was cold to the touch.
However, they did not call 911 until about 3 p.m. that Friday.

“Both, Takesha Williams and Efrem Allen Jr., advised they knew they should have contacted a health care professional based on the declining health of the decedent in the past month; however, they failed to do so,” the affidavit said.
'Bone-chilling': Bartow couple charged death of 3-year-old covered in 'open sores'

Dead by the morning of May 12th, finally called 911 at 3pm on the 13th. You cannot convince me this child received good care at any point from these two.

Last edited:
Many people are able to go home on ventilators. It is no longer considered a reason to "institutionalize" people. Once stable, there is no medical necessity to stay in a hospital. There are long-term care facilities for vented patients, though unsure about pediatric cases near where they live. People want to be near loved ones. Often people will take a family member home unaware of the sheer amount of dedication, care, and energy that goes into providing care.
Yes, the Coen brothers skewered this attitude in The Big Lebowski.

'Bone-chilling': Bartow couple charged death of 3-year-old covered in 'open sores'

Dead by the morning of May 12th, finally called 911 at 3pm on the 13th. You cannot convince me this child received good care at any point from these two.
*I don’t think so either, I’m sorry to say. From your link:

“Photographs were provided to Dr. Rennie at Bartow Regional Health, who advised the open sores are consistent with child neglect,” the document said. “The open sores … to the body were severe with major open wounds on the victim’s body resulting in permanent disfigurement.”

Were the parents receiving government payments for this child?

"Understand, all of this (I believe he's referring to all his medical expenses including a home care nurse 3x per week mentioned just prior to this part of conference) was occurring at absolutely no cost to the parents. In fact, the mother was receiving benefits to stay home and take care of this baby."

- 2:35 min. mark of press conference

Except the parents were advised that he was completely brain dead and that they should stop life support years ago.
Great point! He was on a ventilator, which means his brain stem was damaged. A functioning brain stem manages autonomic processes. Like respiration, blood pressure, heart rhythms, digestion, insulin release, and temperature control. The body starts to deteriorate on its own because the autonomic functions lack homeostasis.

His deterioration was inevitable. Not if, but when. The fact they took such good care for so long should be considered. When so many systems are compromised, it does not take long to deteriorate. Staged wounds can occur in days due to circulatory issues. This can happen to people with intact condition/paralysis as well.

He did indeed receive good care to survive this long-almost 3 years. People can and do deteriorate quickly in his state.

Wow they even had a home nurse but rejected her visits or didn't answer the door or "weren't home" since October! Why not continue getting help, if they cared so little for this poor child, why not just continue letting the medically trained person be responsible for his care most days at home?

Not sure I even want to fully understand this, but do we have any verified medical professionals here who could explain this further? :

No rectum?! Do they mean the rectum was prolapsed? And ONE hole (somewhere?) With the intestines, spine AND colon ALL visible?

This all sounds so incredibly horrible. That poor toddler!!
Nurse here. They allowed him to lay in his own urine and feces until all the skin and muscle tissue rotted away. He has no anus because the flesh has decomposed all the way down to his spinal column

He did indeed receive good care to survive this long-almost 3 years. People can and do deteriorate quickly in his state.
The Doctor who alerted authorities said his state was due to months of neglect. So it seems, to me at least, the good care received prior to October was via the 3x per week home care nurse.

Please see the following narrative from the affidavit:
PRB_CAUS
On Friday, May 12, 2023 at approximately 1503 hours, Bartow Fire Rescue responded to 1050 Golfview Avenue #1205 in Bartow in reference to an unresponsive three year old child/decedent, REDACTED, who did not have a pulse and was connected to a ventilator breathing machine. The decedent was transported to Bartow Regional Heath where he was pronounced deceased on Friday, May 12, 2023 at 1552 hours.

The decedent was located lying supine on a hospital bed with extensive injuries/trauma, to include large avulsions on his buttocks, to where the rectum was non-existent. This was so severe the victim's colon was visible. Several abrasions were located on his back, which were consistent with bed sores. The decedent smelled of decomposition and rigor mortis was non-existent. The decedent's stomach was bloated and appeared to have semi-marbling and was green in color. Photographs were provided to Dr. Rennie at Bartow Regional Health, who advised the open sores are consistent with child neglect. The open sores were to the body were severe with major open wounds on the victim's body resulting in permanent disfigurement.

It was learned in the summer of 2020, the decedent was involved in a near drowning at a vacation home in Davenport, Florida. Since 2020, the decedent has been connected to a ventilator, due to his health condition as a result of the drowning.

Both, REDACTED, Takesha Williams, and REDACTED, Efrem Allen Jr., were interviewed separately and advised Miranda by a prepared Miranda warning card, to which they acknowledged, understood, and agreed to speak. In summary, Takesha Williams advised the decedent lives with her and her other two children, a 2 year old and a 10 month old, which are all shared with the REDACTED, Efrem Allen. Efrem Allen does not reside in the home; however, he has been assisting Tekesha Williams with taking care of the decedent. Efrem has been taking care of the child with Tekesha daily for the past month; the timeframe in which the large open wounds originated and progressed.

A home health nurse has been visiting the home since 2020, but the REDACTED decided to switch health care companies in the past one to two months; however, they have not been to the home since this time. The REDACTED advised they were taught how to tend to the decedent and are knowledgeable on how to change out the decedent's trach and other medical needs. Since the last month, Takesha Williams and Efrem Allen Jr., noticed the decedent had large open sores, which started forming after the care of the home health nurse. They both informed they knew the sores were extensive and were afraid to contact anybody, due to being afraid they would have their children taken away by DCF. Addiionally, they stated people would assume it was neglect; however, they stated the victim is not neglected.

During the night of Thursday, May 11, 2023, the decedent appeared to be alive, per Takesha Williams and Efrem Allen Jr. and the pulse oximeter was functioning. During the morning of Friday, May 12, 2023, Tekesha Williams and Efrem Allen Jr. noticed the decedent's stomach was bloated. Tekesha Williams noticed the decedent was cold to the touch and the pulse oximeter was malfunctioning.

Tekesha Williams waited until approximately 1500 hours to call 9-1-1. Both, Takesha Williams and Efrem Allen Jr., advised they knew they should have contacted a health care professional based on the declining health of the decedent in the past month; however, they failed to do so.

During the course of this investigation, it was determined the defendants, Takesha Williams and Efrem Allen Jr., committed the criminal offense of Child Neglect with Great Bodily Harm. Both, Takesha Williams and Efrem Allen Jr., were arrested and transported to the Polk County Sheriff's Office-Sheriff's Processing Center.

Today, May 26, 2023, the Tenth Judicial Circuit Court upgraded the charges to Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child (F1).

“I’ve seen some truly horrific events in my long law enforcement career, but I have never, ever seen anything as sad, as bone-chilling, and as sickening as what this baby suffered before finally perishing from the despicable acts of these two criminals.”
– Grady Judd, Sheriff

Please see the following narrative from the affidavit:
PRB_CAUS

The decedent was located lying supine on a hospital bed with extensive injuries/trauma, to include large avulsions on his buttocks, to where the rectum was non-existent. This was so severe the victim's colon was visible.

SBMFF

Since I didn't know what an avulsion was I Goog'ed for it.

An avulsion is a forcible tearing off of skin or another part of the body, such as an ear or a finger. Any time layers of skin have been torn off to expose muscles, tendons and tissue, it is called an avulsion. An amputation, such as getting a limb caught in a piece of heavy machinery, is also considered an avulsion.

Which makes me wonder how an avulsion occurred in the first place. The only thing I can think of is perhaps his sores were so bad that they stuck to the diaper, and when the diaper was removed to change it (after way too much time IMO), the sore stuck to the diaper and it ripped off the skin.

Anyone else have any idea how an avulsion could have occurred? I don't blame anyone for not wanting to even consider how this would be possible. I've heard some horrible things in my lifetime but this one is way at the top of the list for me. I pray I never hear about worse. I just don't understand some people. I just... don't. :(

The nauseating contempt and lack of compassion for disabled children and adults in this country is beyond comprehension. Cases like this are the zenith of this absolute absence of empathy. The so–called “caregivers” of this child deserve to never see the light of day again. The systems set in place that should have protected this child, regardless of his guardians’ neglect, deserve the harshest of lights turned on them. As a country, we should be measured by how we care for those in our society who are most vulnerable. In this instance, we have failed completely. Cases like this should remind us to do everything we can to protect those who cannot protect themselves. The lives of disabled children and adults matter. No one deserves to die like this. My heart aches for this child. There is not enough justice in this world.

Great point! He was on a ventilator, which means his brain stem was damaged. A functioning brain stem manages autonomic processes. Like respiration, blood pressure, heart rhythms, digestion, insulin release, and temperature control. The body starts to deteriorate on its own because the autonomic functions lack homeostasis.

His deterioration was inevitable. Not if, but when. The fact they took such good care for so long should be considered. When so many systems are compromised, it does not take long to deteriorate. Staged wounds can occur in days due to circulatory issues. This can happen to people with intact condition/paralysis as well.

Didn’t his condition also require a food tube through the stomach wall?

It’s crazy IMO that the fear of losing their other children inspired them to commit an act which guaranteed they’d lose their other children.

It’s almost as if their little boy became an object to care for. I understand brain death but I don’t understand the parents not involving medical professionals as soon as the boy’s care became too difficult.

No one would have blamed them early on. Is there more to this story? Had CPS been involved in the past? Maybe when the child nearly drowned?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back